"Burners" in this years draft

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Arians said just last week that he wants a couple of guys on each side of the ball in the trenches, a pass rusher, a safety / corner, and a burner at WR. Besides Austin and Goodwin, who else in this draft fit that bill?

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ryan Swope and Markus Wheaton also come to mind.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Wheaton is the pick. They have 2 confirmed meetings with him.

Hes a burner. Although I dont know where or when they plan on taking him. Lots of teams interested. You dont want to use too early of a pick and over draft him considering WR is not remotely a big need.

IMO, I think we are fine at WR. You dont need a burner to stretch the field. Mike F is pretty darn fast as is. Larry has always done a good job of stretching the field (although Whiz rarely called deep passes). Andre is pretty fast.

We can always pick off one of Palmers targets from the Raiders. Theres not a faster group of guys in the NFL than Raiders players.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I think Wheaton is the pick. They have 2 confirmed meetings with him.

Hes a burner. Although I dont know where or when they plan on taking him. Lots of teams interested. You dont want to use too early of a pick and over draft him considering WR is not remotely a big need.

IMO, I think we are fine at WR. You dont need a burner to stretch the field. Mike F is pretty darn fast as is. Larry has always done a good job of stretching the field (although Whiz rarely called deep passes). Andre is pretty fast.

We can always pick off one of Palmers targets from the Raiders. Theres not a faster group of guys in the NFL than Raiders players.

Wheaton just visited the Patriots---imo, he does not get past them at #91 (Round 3). If we want him we will either have to take him at #69, or trade back into the third round between picks 88-90.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wheaton just visited the Patriots---imo, he does not get past them at #91 (Round 3). If we want him we will either have to take him at #69, or trade back into the third round between picks 88-90.

Im very aware of his market. Hes a hot name right now. But we have to be careful when we pick him.

Arguably, we have 2 #2 WRs on this team. Wheatons another clear cut #2. Its a good problem to have, but not when you have a multitude of needs elswhere. Id rather use Those early picks on Olinemen and LB's.

Mitch

Reaction score
Ryan Swope and Markus Wheaton also come to mind.

Swope ran a 4.38 at the combine---I had already studied tape of him and liked him as a slot WR because he's pretty tough and is a gamer.

However, he doesn't play like he possesses 4.38 speed.

Markus "Wheat" Wheaton plays faster than Swope, but he's not as tough on balls over the middle or up the seams as Swope is.

When I compare them to Tavon Austin, what stands out to me is Austin's incredible knack for playing jet-fast and yet having complete awareness and body control. He can side-step on a dime---the way Barry Sanders could---and Austin has a 6th sense about how to avoid contact, which is why he never missed a single practice or game in 4 years at West Virginia---you just can't get square hits on this guy.

Mitch

Reaction score
Im very aware of his market. Hes a hot name right now. But we have to be careful when we pick him.

Arguably, we have 2 #2 WRs on this team. Wheatons another clear cut #2. Its a good problem to have, but not when you have a multitude of needs elswhere. Id rather use Those early picks on Olinemen and LB's.

I think Wheaton is a #3...slot WR all the way.

Mitch

Reaction score
Another guy to keep an eye on is Ace Sanders of South Carolina. Super quick and nifty---but is smaller and not as deceptively strong as Tavon Austin. But Sanders is a real gamer and a very good player if he can hold up physically.

Denard Robinson fascinates me---the fact that he is so willing to convert to WR and that he's about as exciting an open field runner as there is.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another guy to keep an eye on is Ace Sanders of South Carolina. Super quick and nifty---but is smaller and not as deceptively strong as Tavon Austin. But Sanders is a real gamer and a very good player if he can hold up physically.

Denard Robinson fascinates me---the fact that he is so willing to convert to WR and that he's about as exciting an open field runner as there is.

I forgot about Sanders. I like him. I saw a study the other day that showed him as having one of the lowest drop rates of all receivers in college football.

Edit: Here's a link http://twitter.com/JPSTATS/status/317484706142752769/photo/1

Last edited:

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Wheaton is a #3...slot WR all the way.

I disagree, I think hes a prime #2 if you put him across from a star like Larry, Andre, Megatron.

Most teams, I can see him being a 3.

Say he is a 3, we have a VERY good 3 in Andre. Plus, Andre is Larrys buddy. You want to keep Larry happy, dont mess with Andre.

* I just realized nobodies mentioned possibly our single greatest field stretching asset - Housler. Vernon Davis is a prime example of what a freak athletic TE can do to a D. Housler has that potential.

Mitch

Reaction score
I disagree, I think hes a prime #2 if you put him across from a star like Larry, Andre, Megatron.

Say he is a 3, we have a VERY good 3 in Andre. Plus, Andre is Larrys buddy. You want to keep Larry happy, dont mess with Andre.

* I just realized nobodies mentioned possibly our single greatest field stretching asset - Housler. Vernon Davis is a prime example of what a freak athletic TE can do to a D. Housler has that potential.

Andre is in a contract year and has to start playing faster, more decisively and tougher.

I actually think Andre is happier playing #2, not #3...but...Michael Floyd is clearly the #2.

Last edited:

Mitch

Reaction score

The main reason why Wheaton's not a #2, Bodha, is he can't get off good press coverage. You need to put him in motion.

Quinn McCollum

Veteran
Reaction score
Markus Wheaton not much faster the Fyold is and about as fast as Roberts. There are faster WR in the draft then him. He all so a little small only a 189 pounds.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Markus Wheaton is from Chandler.

I did not know that. Not that it maters, just a fun fact.

Mitch

Reaction score
Markus Wheaton not much faster the Fyold is and about as fast as Roberts. There are faster WR in the draft then him. He all so a little small only a 189 pounds.

Wheaton has track speed---that's his forte. It shows up on tape. The guy has wheels.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Actually Floyd, Roberts and Wheaton are all about dead even in straight line speed. Wheaton is a little quicker than Roberts and they are both considerably quicker than Floyd. This is only going off of combine times and thus may not take into account actual game speed with pads on.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Without out a doubt not taking one in the first three rounds. Which leaves out Wheaton who while a speedster he is not a field stretcher,he made his living on screens, quick slants and drag routes. If your looking for a field stretcher and not a short route YAC guy after round 3 then i like the 6-2, 205 lb, 4.32 40, 19 yards per catch Corey Fuller from Vtech.

Mitch

Reaction score
Actually Floyd, Roberts and Wheaton are all about dead even in straight line speed. Wheaton is a little quicker than Roberts and they are both considerably quicker than Floyd. This is only going off of combine times and thus may not take into account actual game speed with pads on.

You said it: "actual game speed with pads on."

Mitch

Reaction score
Without out a doubt not taking one in the first three rounds. Which leaves out Wheaton who while a speedster he is not a field stretcher,he made his living on screens, quick slants and drag routes. If your looking for a field stretcher and not a short route YAC guy after round 3 then i like the 6-2, 205 lb, 4.32 40, 19 yards per catch Corey Fuller from Vtech.

Good call on Fuller and after all he is a Hokie, a la BA.

But the job description you first described may be what BA is looking for---a speed WR with the quicks to threaten the middle of the field, the flats and the deep seams, the way he did with his rookie WR last year in Indy, T.Y. Hilton.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If Wheaton is there at 69, I think he's the pick. Another guy who runs a fast time and was very productive is Boyce from TCU. I've read where he doesn't play as fast as his 40 time though.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Yep Sanders would be a nice pick in the fourth round and could fill out your slot receiver role for a while.

I watched a lot of South Carolina games last year, and the three guys that really jump out at you are Clowney, Swearinger, and Sanders. Swearinger is going to be a solid NFL safety, Clowney is the next great pass rusher, and Sanders should play a decade in the NFL.

Sanders is shifty, has great hands, and made huge plays when needed.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Well if you want a 7th Rounder that has size and speed then you might want to look at Mark Harrison WR , Rutgers, 6-3, 231 and ran a 4.46 at the combine.