Bucks @ Suns Thursday game thread 2-10-2022

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So, in the arena you notice some little things and miss out on some huge stuff.

Had absolutely no clue that Connaughton got hurt.

When did it happen?
He was guarding CP3 and Chris got inside position on a drive and as Connaughton reached in, he caught Chris wrong and broke his hand. They don’t know the severity yet.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Grizzlies are similar to the Nuggets last year, IMO. Solid cast surrounding 1 star but ultimately they'll only go as far as Ja can carry them. The Nuggets fell apart despite us letting Jokic hit his averages, although he had to work for them. They don't have anyone else who can go off and win games for them in the postseason.

I don't fear any team that is just 1 star like that. The Bucks beat us because Middleton and Holiday played like All-Stars to compliment Giannis, who played like the best player in the world.
The Denver team we dominated last postseason was minus it's second best player. This Memphis team is better than that Denver team when healthy IMO. You're missing out on JJjr if you think they just have one star. Unless the past 6 weeks are a fluke, he's a real handful now. Like I said, despite how great this team has played, Memphis has the best record in the NBA since Christmas.

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love Memphis and Ja but you fear more than one player on the Grizzlies? We may have 4 of the best 5 players in that series.
Desmond Bane gave us 30 and Dillon Brooks is a tough player too. However, I think the Suns’ experience wins out and we win in 6. JJJ playing like he is could pose problems but if we play the way I know we can, we’re better than Memphis.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Desmond Bane gave us 30 and Dillon Brooks is a tough player too. However, I think the Suns’ experience wins out and we win in 6. JJJ playing like he is could pose problems but if we play the way I know we can, we’re better than Memphis.
I think so too, I also think their inexperience could cost them in the playoffs. But I don't think it's a lock, not even close.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jrue Holliday says Suns should pay him referring to Deandre Ayton.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think so too, I also think their inexperience could cost them in the playoffs. But I don't think it's a lock, not even close.

4.5 game lead with 27 games to go against a relatively soft schedule. I like our odds. Beat whoever survives the play in, then knock off (what I assume will be) the Jazz and prepare for a war vs whoever survives against the Grizzlies and Warriors.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.5 game lead with 27 games to go against a relatively soft schedule. I like our odds. Beat whoever survives the play in, then knock off (what I assume will be) the Jazz and prepare for a war vs whoever survives against the Grizzlies and Warriors.
By far my biggest concern is injuries, healthy I think we're the best team in the league. But we were the best team in the NBA 2 games into the playoffs last season too - adding Payne and Booker to the hobbled list along with losing Saric was more than we could overcome given that Paul was already limited. We're deeper this season, we're more experienced, we're better but we still need Paul at full health and that's never a given.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
By far my biggest concern is injuries, healthy I think we're the best team in the league. But we were the best team in the NBA 2 games into the playoffs last season too - adding Payne and Booker to the hobbled list along with losing Saric was more than we could overcome given that Paul was already limited. We're deeper this season, we're more experienced, we're better but we still need Paul at full health and that's never a given.

I worry about that myself, when Booker lost his dribble without contact and sat on the floor flexing his leg and holding his calf... I felt bile rising in me in cold fear that he popped his achillies. But it is something every team has to dodge. If Curry or Jokic or Giannis or Embiid went down, their teams would hardly resemble a playoff squad. That is something that no team can safeguard against.

I would be curious to know if any NBA team, ever, has won a title with one of their indisputable stars out for the season. It might have been a thing in the 80s, in the pre salary cap/free agency era, but there has not been an instance in my memory.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worry about that myself, when Booker lost his dribble without contact and sat on the floor flexing his leg and holding his calf... I felt bile rising in me in cold fear that he popped his achillies. But it is something every team has to dodge. If Curry or Jokic or Giannis or Embiid went down, their teams would hardly resemble a playoff squad. That is something that no team can safeguard against.

I would be curious to know if any NBA team, ever, has won a title with one of their indisputable stars out for the season. It might have been a thing in the 80s, in the pre salary cap/free agency era, but there has not been an instance in my memory.
I can't think of any although I can remember a few teams winning it all with a key player injured. The biggest obviously is the 70 Knicks championship with Willis Reed, he made a brief appearance in the game despite a torn thigh muscle but his value was more inspirational than anything else.

But I agree with your point, I just think the likelihood of one of our stars being injured is greater than it would be for a lot of other teams.

Last year I thought if every team were healthy we were outclassed by 3 teams but right there with about 4 other teams that were good enough to win it all. This year, I think we've done enough improving to right now be justifiably anointed the favorite. But not a lock.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rewatching this game this morning. Ayton and Paul carried the team in this one. Ayton was fantastic when given the ball in the post, showing a ton of versatility in his offensive game, and his defense was fantastic, he frustrated Giannis all game and defended in the post and on the perimeter very well. I don't know how many times guys tried to shoot against him but it seems like they made about 1 shot in 5 against him.

I know his rebound total wasn't elite but he did so much defending outside that is isn't surprising, and we won the rebounding war anyway.

As for Paul... good god, he should be the MVP this year. If he was a younger player and not this established star with commercials, I have no doubt that he would run away with the MVP this season.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Suns have been very good getting it to ayton with entry passes this game.

if that isn’t a fluke that is a big deal going forward.
It's not a fluke that Ayton could put up big numbers. But will the Suns give him the ball in the post again is the question. It's nice to know they can.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rewatching this game this morning. Ayton and Paul carried the team in this one. Ayton was fantastic when given the ball in the post, showing a ton of versatility in his offensive game, and his defense was fantastic, he frustrated Giannis all game and defended in the post and on the perimeter very well. I don't know how many times guys tried to shoot against him but it seems like they made about 1 shot in 5 against him.

I know his rebound total wasn't elite but he did so much defending outside that is isn't surprising, and we won the rebounding war anyway.

As for Paul... good god, he should be the MVP this year. If he was a younger player and not this established star with commercials, I have no doubt that he would run away with the MVP this season.

Don't forget our other centers. One time we actually went twin towers and a timeout was soon called. Then you had Mcgee and Bizzy posting up guys while Ayton was out, was something we couldn't do last year. Our backup bigs made Giannis work for it.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Jaren Jackson is a completely different player the past 6 weeks or so, he's finally starting to look like the star some thought he'd be. And they are like us, very deep with two way players. Fear may not be the right word but they worry me more than the Warriors do right certainly but even when they had Draymond and I think most of us realize a healthy Golden State could beat us. So again, no lock AFAIC.
He really isn’t. Over that stretch he has been averaging 18/7 on 45%/34% shooting splits.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Giannis blatantly fouls Ayton on that dunk, no call, then knees Ayton in the balls on the other end and gets a trip to the line.

Incredible pass by Booker just now.
Yup. When Ayton posterized giannis and giannis clearly gets him with the body and the follow through in the face and no call I’m thinking “refs blow the whistle before the dunk even happens if that’s reversed.”

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right now you may be correct, but if NY changes its policy on covid and Durant comes back healthy.and simmons is himself that will be tough for any team to face.
They also got Curry and the big guy and picks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the Bucks are coming out of the East this year. It's going to be Philly or the Nets. If the two conference finals are Nets/Philly and Suns/Warriors, that will be can't miss basketball.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Losing Connaughton to the Bucks is like us losing Cam. That’s a significant loss.

Philly or Brook coming out of the East (not cause of that injury but the Bucks aren’t the same team).
Particularly with them having traded divincenzo earlier.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think the Bucks are coming out of the East this year. It's going to be Philly or the Nets. If the two conference finals are Nets/Philly and Suns/Warriors, that will be can't miss basketball.
Miami is no joke, that is the only team that has handled the Suns in the last couple months and it was in Phx

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deandre Ayton can sky too and shows his value when playing against Giannis.

I so like the pick and roll with Chris Paul.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think one guy who was relieved not to be on the team last night, was PJ Tucker. CJ had a few dunks.

What was stupid by Bud was intentionally fouling Payton, you don't need to foul him he makes his own mistakes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard