Breakdown of Warner's day

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That's going to be this years MO, teams have all offseason to think of ways to stop us.

People will realize Warner is not going to ever match last season, he's not got a balanced enough game to survive the blueprint the 9ers just threw out there.

Sure some teams even though they try will fail at it but not the good teams, we won't win jack until we become a balanced team and Warner isn't about balance and never has been and never will be.

JMO.

The worst part about this was that not only were they able to apply pressure with jsut their front 4, they were also able to shut down Hightower and not be forced to place more defenders up in the box... Our o-line was simply pathetic... :bang:

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
We lost to the 49ers, they just showed Jacksonville how to play us, they will play us the same way.

Everyone will play us the same way and most of those teams have an offense much better than the 49ers.

Not all of them have the same defensive skill but on balance we're going to face an uphill battle to pass the ball this year, they're going to force us to run, BW is our counter to that but he'll do better not running out of the shotgun, ooooops Warner dosen't do anything but the shotgun.

It'll eventually become clear to most.

Well I do not think any defense in the NFL will force the Cardinals to run the football if they are healthy. If there is no confidence in there health and there ability to make big plays the season will be done either way pass or run. These guys found there stride late last season and we saw what they could do. You can miss a piece here and there to injury but you can not have Warner, Boldin and Breaston injured and think we will have a potent offense. Beanie is an unknown quantity. TH did good things but needs to stay as a role player in a 2 back system. Need to let them try the uptempo if Warner remains under center. As you say he is a shotgun Qb and ne needs to be able to increase the tempo if the game dictates it.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for an enjoyable thread with an interesting topic and a good discussion.
Having the breakdown was nice as well as differing opinion.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Just want to point out again that this is supposed to be a thread that offers a little optimism, not justify Warner or the mistakes he made.

Statistically speaking he was a much better QB in the 2nd half than the first half and that is much better than the other way around. He started off very rough but from what I can see he gathered himself and started to pull it together. "Started to".

Who knows if he will maintain the improved play of the 2nd half but I think the progression during the game leads toward next week a lot more than if he struggled the same way throughout the game. Maybe he'll struggle again next week but the way things transpired, to me, offers at least a possibility that he was knocking the rust off.

It certainly would have been nice to see a game like Brees or Romo had but put yourself in Panthers fans shoes for a moment by comparison. Coming off the horrific day he had vs. Arizona in the playoffs, Jake Delhomme threw 4 picks against Philly on opening day. Two in the first half, two in the second. Just to pile on, he was replaced by Josh McCown and then McCown got hurt and they had to sign A.J. Feeley.

How's that for tempting fate? I've parlayed a Warner thread right into a Josh McCown thread?

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How's that for tempting fate? I've parlayed a Warner thread right into a Josh McCown thread?

Maybe the "passing coordinator" can input all of the plays into Madden so Kurt can learn while having fun.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Warner's decision making worries me more than the accuracy of his throws. He appeared to lock onto receivers way too much yesterday. I realize some of the reason for this was the lack of protection, but he still seemed more aware under pressure last year.

On the pass to Becht that was tipped at the LOS on the first drive, Fitz was lined up on Patrick Willis in the middle. Willis started to blitz before he realized his assignment, leaving Fitz wide open in the middle of the field. Kurt didn't recognize this and chose to throw to a covered Becht instead.

Also, on the 3rd and 5 with two minutes to go, Fitz and Boldin were both open across the middle for first down yardage. All he had to do was lead them. Instead, he chose to throw to Urban, who was the least open of the three.

Again, I realize a lack of protection gave Warner a limited amount of time to read the defense in some instances. But in others, he just didn't see the open man. That's very unlike the Warner of 08'.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Just want to point out again that this is supposed to be a thread that offers a little optimism, not justify Warner or the mistakes he made.

Statistically speaking he was a much better QB in the 2nd half than the first half and that is much better than the other way around. He started off very rough but from what I can see he gathered himself and started to pull it together. "Started to".

Who knows if he will maintain the improved play of the 2nd half but I think the progression during the game leads toward next week a lot more than if he struggled the same way throughout the game. Maybe he'll struggle again next week but the way things transpired, to me, offers at least a possibility that he was knocking the rust off.

It certainly would have been nice to see a game like Brees or Romo had but put yourself in Panthers fans shoes for a moment by comparison. Coming off the horrific day he had vs. Arizona in the playoffs, Jake Delhomme threw 4 picks against Philly on opening day. Two in the first half, two in the second. Just to pile on, he was replaced by Josh McCown and then McCown got hurt and they had to sign A.J. Feeley.

I wasn't going to chime in, but I feel that I must respond to the above bolded. I'm not jumping down your throat, because I think this was a good thread and, while I too think you were overkind in your analysis, it is an interesting topic you worked hard to put together well.

That said, I must point out that Warner only STARTED to put it together in the 2nd half. He started to, and then the wheels fell off for him again. He was just plain pathetic at the end of the game. I mean, high school bad. He didn't have a bad 1st half and good 2nd half...he had part of a good 2nd half and then he fell apart like crumble cake. That's very worrisome, that he folded so easily under pressure at the end of the game. He has no fire, no determination, and is showing nothing to his fellow players out there. That's what really worries me.

I really hope he puts it together this week, because that would be optimal, but if he doesn't and plays this poor again, I hope our coach is wise enough to put him on the pine. If he doesn't turn it around and Whis keeps playing him, it will destroy our chances at a winning season.

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
There were VERY few passes where warner was on. most were the receivers making great plays to even make it close. Minus the Long drop, dude just isn't NFL. The fade to fitz at the end of the half was overthrown. the 2 int's were incredibly bad decisions.the sacks that were taken were inexcusable. Warner needs to turn it around fast or admit if the hip is the reason. Leinart can throw dump passes to Hightower too, while handing off to the running backs faster, and more mobility.

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
That said, I must point out that Warner only STARTED to put it together in the 2nd half. He started to, and then the wheels fell off for him again. He was just plain pathetic at the end of the game. I mean, high school bad.
I think the last 2 or 3 drives were a perfect microchasm of the whole night for the entire offense.

In those three drives there were penalties, bad blocking allowing incredible, quick pressure from just 4 man fronts, dropped passes in addition to Warner misfiring a couple of times. I don't think he was high school bad or completely fell apart though.

The last real chance with 3:11 to go Spach false starts on 1st & 10, Urban drops a pass on 1st & 15 and Gandy holds to make it 1st & 25. Warner completes two passes to get it to 3rd & 5 and then the line breaks down on a 4 man rush so Warner gets rid of it when he has to. Against a 7 man secondary I don't know if there were any better options than Urban down the sideline but I also wouldn't say Warner was the problem on that drive.

Not saying he was great but saying he isn't even NFL quality is a bit of an exaggeration.