Bourbon / Whiskey

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, no. Very sincere. Like I’ve indicated, I‘m a whiskey noob. I’m glad it’s okay to drink it. I’m actually drinking Redneck Riviera right now.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
All good bourbons! I did a few distillery tours in Tennessee. I want to get back down to KY and go through some bourbon distilleries next!

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This cool place in Bethlehem, the Red Stag, is planning a trip down to KY and I have to say I'm interested.

Last night was fun. It was cool to see how flavors changed when paired with food. I'm not sure I get or can tell the difference with adding a little water, but I can only keep experimenting. I liked the Buffalo Trace and Angel's Envy, though it's not like the others were bad.

This place also does flavor profiles, to help you learn and figure out what you like. I think I'm going to do that.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I found out this weekend that I'm not a big fan of many Old Fitzgeralds. 13 is ok. 19 is not for me.

Love me a few Evan Williams brands. BIB works. As does 1783.

Still love a few of the Wellers like Full proof and A107. Praying for the day I can get my hands on a WLW bottle.

Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, or EC SB are my usual daily sippers. I lived in KY for 7 years and really wish I was in to this stuff back then.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found out this weekend that I'm not a big fan of many Old Fitzgeralds. 13 is ok. 19 is not for me.

Love me a few Evan Williams brands. BIB works. As does 1783.

Still love a few of the Wellers like Full proof and A107. Praying for the day I can get my hands on a WLW bottle.

Knob Creek, Eagle Rare, or EC SB are my usual daily sippers. I lived in KY for 7 years and really wish I was in to this stuff back then.
Knob Creek is my fav. Especially for the price point its fantastic.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knob Creek is okay? I see it, but it sounds like a chintzy brand. See, I learned something new!

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knob Creek is okay? I see it, but it sounds like a chintzy brand. See, I learned something new!
Funny thing is I have like 5 bottles of the stuff via receiving as gits over the years. To me it is what someone thinks what a bourbon should be. It's good but not great. In my opinion it doesn't really have any nuances or subtleties, it is neither too harsh or smooth, it's not too hot or mellow. It's not too good or too bad. It's kind of an afterthought for me but that's my own problem. I like it best at two fingers with 3 cubes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is I have like 5 bottles of the stuff via receiving as gits over the years. To me it is what someone thinks what a bourbon should be. It's good but not great. In my opinion it doesn't really have any nuances or subtleties, it is neither too harsh or smooth, it's not too hot or mellow. It's not too good or too bad. It's kind of an afterthought for me but that's my own problem. I like it best at two fingers with 3 cubes.
poo then send them my way you hoarder….. :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s def a good quality bourbon. And you can find it as low as 34.00 a bottle. For a quality bourbon 9 year aged that’s amazing.
I see it below 30 quite often.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never here in NV must be taxes
I may have one bottle on my shelf. I probably only sip bourbon/whiskey once every month or two. I'm usually trying to get where I am going quickly; doing shots of boubon/whiskey just isn't right.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, serious question.
When I went to the tasting they had droppers of water, apparently to add a drop or two and that somehow magically changes things or something.

Here's my question: When, if ever, is it appropriate to use ice?

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, serious question.
When I went to the tasting they had droppers of water, apparently to add a drop or two and that somehow magically changes things or something.

For me, it almost always. But I'm no snob. I even add ice to some of my wines. And beer.

So yeah.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Okay, serious question.
"Opens up" the whiskey. The good stuff is typically only supplemented with drops of water, not whole ice cubes.
Cheaper whiskey. Or if you want it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, serious question.

In the UK, it is almost universal that they add ice or a splash of water. I like to add ice too. It goes down smoother to me.

I'm not a snob either and I don't even try to find the different notes when drinking it for the most part. I probably don't ever want to even go down that road unless I become independently wealthy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave