Bourbon / Whiskey

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been getting into bourbon the past year or so and there are so many different kinds with nuances that it is so enjoyable.

Tonight I'm just drinking a simple old fashioned but it is so freaking good. I found that Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite old fashioned bourbon. I mix it with a little bit of maraschino cherry liqueur, a maraschino cherry with a little bit of its juice, a little bit of demerara simple syrup, a couple dashes of some homemade bitters, and 2 oz of Buffalo Trace over ice. This is probably my favorite drink now. I have a cocktail smoker and I'll do that about half of the time.

Some of my favorite Bourbons that I have in my collection are Widow Jane, several voyages of Jefferson Ocean, Four Roses Single Barrel, Bulleit, Knob Creek, Woodford, Basil Hayden, Maker's Mark, Boondocks, and some Russell.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm getting into bourbon but I've learned I really don't like rye whisky. It always tastes like a musty haystack to me.

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Based on the bourbons you listed, I have a few suggestions. I enjoy most of those you listed but haven’t been able to try Jefferson’s Ocean or Widow Jane. If you like Woodford, give the Woodford double Oaked a try, I really like it. Another ide recommend is Old Forester 1920, Old Forester makes a few varieties, but 1920 is my fave.
Love Russell Reserve btw, the single barrel, reddish label options I’ve tried have all been really good!
Bourbon and whiskey can be quite a rabbit hole, happy hunting and tasting.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on the bourbons you listed, I have a few suggestions. I enjoy most of those you listed but haven’t been able to try Jefferson’s Ocean or Widow Jane. If you like Woodford, give the Woodford double Oaked a try, I really like it. Another ide recommend is Old Forester 1920, Old Forester makes a few varieties, but 1920 is my fave.
Love Russell Reserve btw, the single barrel, reddish label options I’ve tried have all been really good!
Bourbon and whiskey can be quite a rabbit hole, happy hunting and tasting.
I love Old Forester too. I may have to pick me up some!!!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone wants a real treat there's a whisky called Shankey's Whip. It's an Irish whisky. It's amazing in coffee.

Your coffee and liquor setups are to behold.

How do you ever get visitors to leave?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yum

You must be registered for see images attach

I was just about to suggest Luxardo cherries for your OF, but I'm glad to see you're already an evolved member of the species. :thumbup:

I've recently come around to a proper OF, myself, along with some experiments with the Manhattan that I'm really digging right now.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
All the Jefferson reserve stuff is good - WL Weller very solid, and Blantons always a fan fav.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got to try that. They have variety of smoker kit options on Amazon. So, I'll see how that goes.

Never heard of that before. Ima gonna try it one day!

Cheers!
If you get one, make sure that the smoker fits ON TOP of the glass rather than sitting inside of the glass.

My brother has one like this which goes into the glass and he's limited on how much ice/liquid he can put into the glass:

I have this one, but I'm sure there are less expensive models that actually sit on top:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do love a good old fashioned/manhattan, but I don't go through the trouble myself to make them. Whenever I get a open bar, those are the two drinks I usually go for.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I freaking love bourbon.

Knob creek and Basil Hayden are my two faves so far. Many kinds that I like however and I do enjoy Old Forester. Old Fashioned is my fav drink ever. If you want a good one they make one that is really good smoked at PF Changs if all places and with a Japanese whiskey whose name escapes me rt now. It’s really good. If I’m drinking bourbon straight I prefer it neat as opposed to on the rocks.

But I also love Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel single Barrel is pretty awesome. Heck even the Kirkland Tennessee whiskey at Costco is pretty damn good especially for the price point.

I also love Irish whiskeys. But have yet to find a Scotch I like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I freaking love bourbon.

Knob creek and Basil Hayden are my two faves so far. Many kinds that I like however and I do enjoy Old Forester. Old Fashioned is my fav drink ever. If you want a good one they make one that is really good smoked at PF Changs if all places and with a Japanese whiskey whose name escapes me rt now. It’s really good. If I’m drinking bourbon straight I prefer it beat as opposed to on the rocks.

But I also love Tennessee Whiskey. Jack Daniel single Barrel is pretty awesome. Heck even the Kirkland Tennessee whiskey at Costco is pretty damn good especially for the price point.

I also love Irish whiskeys. But have yet to find a Scotch I like. In
Best Scotch I've had so far: Compass Box Hedonism.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I freaking love bourbon.

Knob creek and Basil Hayden are my two faves so far. Many kinds that I like however and I do enjoy Old Forester. Old Fashioned is my fav drink ever. If you want a good one they make one that is really good smoked at PF Changs if all places and with a Japanese whiskey whose name escapes me rt now. It’s really good. If I’m drinking bourbon straight I prefer it beat as opposed to on the rocks.

I also love Irish whiskeys. But have yet to find a Scotch I like. In

The Kirkland stuff is always a pleasant surprise. I have no idea how they secure that kind of quality for those prices, but I ain't complaining!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best Scotch I've had so far: Compass Box Hedonism.
I’ve tried so many scotches.. they all taste like **** lol…

The night I was out with you and you ordered a round of shots and made me do that. McAllen 18? Even then I was like “wow this **** sucks. Can’t believe what they charge for this **** considering how it tastes.”

I don’t know what it is with scotch in my palate they just don’t mix.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried so many scotches.. they all taste like **** lol…

The night I was out with you and you ordered a round of shots and made me do that. McAllen 18? Even then I was like “wow this **** sucks. Can’t believe what they charge for this **** considering how it tastes.”

I don’t know what it is with scotch in my palate they just don’t mix.
The Compass Box Hedonism doesn't have a peaty bite. It's smooth.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Kirkland stuff is always a pleasant surprise. I have no idea how they secure that kind of quality for those prices, but I ain't complaining!
I drink their spiced rum like it is going out of style. It is downright delicious. Their whiskey and vodkas and bomb as well.

The tequila on the other hand....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson