Bourbon / Whiskey

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As in, that is what you buy, or
as in, you understand why other people buy?
I could be mistaken, but I think he means how the ice or water will we can the cheaper Bourbons and lessen the burn make it more palatable?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'll do a big cube in an old fashioned but usually like it neat. Adding water isn't something I tend to do unless it's really poor. Especially in higher proofs above 100.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found out this weekend that I'm not a big fan of many Old Fitzgeralds. 13 is ok. 19 is not for me.

I've found that Old Fitzgerald has a kind of weird nutty taste to it. Definitely not what I was expecting when I first tried it. It wasn't bad but I wouldn't pay the top dollar that it commands these days.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, serious question.
When I went to the tasting they had droppers of water, apparently to add a drop or two and that somehow magically changes things or something.

Here's my question: When, if ever, is it appropriate to use ice?

I consider myself a snob but I always say do what you enjoy. If you don't like drinking whisky neat then don't.

There is nothing wrong with pouring whiskey over ice. However I recommend using a large block/ball of ice if you do choose to use ice. That way your last sips don't end up totally watered down.

When I taste bourbon I usually add a drop or two of bottled water. It really is amazing how one drop can open up a whiskey. It's really easy to try and I recommend giving it a try the next time you try a good bourbon. Try it neat first and then add 2 drops of bottled water and try it again.

When I was tasting in Kentucky I learned that when you first taste a whiskey "neat" you coat your entire tongue with the whiskey first. There will be a bit of a burn as your taste buds acclimate to the alcohol. Then on your next sip the burn will pretty much go away and you will be able to pick out all of the delicious tasting notes.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
The guy at total Wine sold me on this said it is an excellent sipper… price point was $45.00 but I had a 10% off coupon :) cracking it now

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I consider myself a snob but I always say do what you enjoy. If you don't like drinking whisky neat then don't.

There is nothing wrong with pouring whiskey over ice. However I recommend using a large block/ball of ice if you do choose to use ice. That way your last sips don't end up totally watered down.

When I taste bourbon I usually add a drop or two of bottled water. It really is amazing how one drop can open up a whiskey. It's really easy to try and I recommend giving it a try the next time you try a good bourbon. Try it neat first and then add 2 drops of bottled water and try it again.

When I was tasting in Kentucky I learned that when you first taste a whiskey "neat" you coat your entire tongue with the whiskey first. There will be a bit of a burn as your taste buds acclimate to the alcohol. Then on your next sip the burn will pretty much go away and you will be able to pick out all of the delicious tasting notes.

I have no idea if it will make a difference for me or even if I can tell any sort of difference but I will definitely try this a few times. Thanks for the insight!

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The guy at total Wine sold me on this said it is an excellent sipper… price point was $45.00 but I had a 10% off coupon :) cracking it now
Total Wine nerds are pretty reliable.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Not sure why she needs 6 bottles of Eagle Rare. I guess we are ready for the next pandemic or zombie apocalypse.

Wow, you are the one hoarding all the Eagle Rare 10 year, no wonder it's hard to find! Just picked up a bottle today, there was only 1 on shelf.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard back from the Red Stag about the whiskey profile. This is what they said:

Does that seem high to anyone? I want to gain knowledge and having someone knowledgeable tell me things and guide me sounds great. But $150 for 8 sips and some (admittedly delicious) snack seems a bit steep. I feel like I could buy suggestions from this thread for $150 and get much more for my money and still learn a bit more of what I like.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard back from the Red Stag about the whiskey profile. This is what they said:

Does that seem high to anyone? I want to gain knowledge and having someone knowledgeable tell me things and guide me sounds great. But $150 for 8 sips and some (admittedly delicious) snack seems a bit steep. I feel like I could buy suggestions from this thread for $150 and get much more for my money and still learn a bit more of what I like.
It does seem high. The Red Stag has some other tastings:

https://www.redstagpub.com/whiskey-TASTINGS/ but I think you have already done one of these.

Try these out too:

But I understand what they are doing with this class. It is a more immersive experience and you probably would get more in depth about the nuances of each whiskey and would probably get a lot more info from the expert than other classes. If money is tight, I may say pass and try the other routes, but if you have some extra fun money, it'll probably be a fun experience.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never been a fan of Aperol but I’d give it a try…. Never heard of that Lilett stuff…

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is even better over ice and I really like the Basil Hayden better than the Woodford in it. My new favorite drink!! I put my Lillet in the small vermouth bottle so it doesn't oxidize as quickly.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you use the Lillet in your Vespers?
I do. I'm so glad that I found the Golden Hour as it makes expands my Lillet Blanc use. When I want to "sweeten" things up on my Vesper, I do the following:

3 oz gin
1 oz vodka
1/2 oz Lillet Blanc
1/2 oz Limoncello
Lemon peel garnish

It is very delightfull.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already got Elijah Craig, and per this thread I'll probably get some Knob Creek.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard