Boldin's attitude

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I certainly hope you're right, Quan is my favorite Card I'm certainly not campaigning to see him traded.

But remember, one of the early moves in the Dennis Green Viking coach era
was getting rid of Herschel because he realized he didn't fit his system. So he dumped Walker, gave Terry Allen the job and never looked back. He's not afraid to remove a high profile player, even a popular one like Quan, if it suits him.

If he thinks Boldin's contract is going to be a problem, that's when a trade could become an option, hopefully it won't, but there's a reason quan hired Rosenhaus.

I also hope if it came to that Graves and Bidwill have the backbone to step in and say hold it Al Haig you're not in charge here.

I can see this one issue driving a big wedge in there. Boldin even injured is still our best WR. He is loved by the fans and he's getting somewhat short shrift first by drafting Fitz and then by losing his position.

DG's stuff wears thin fast and without a few more wins this year, stuff like starting Navarre if and when it fails will not endear himself as the savior he was hired to be.

At some point Graves and Bidwill are going to majorly overide Denny on something important and at that point the fun will begin.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I can see this one issue driving a big wedge in there. Boldin even injured is still our best WR. He is loved by the fans and he's getting somewhat short shrift first by drafting Fitz and then by losing his position.

DG's stuff wears thin fast and without a few more wins this year, stuff like starting Navarre if and when it fails will not endear himself as the savior he was hired to be.

At some point Graves and Bidwill are going to majorly overide Denny on something important and at that point the fun will begin.

Barring a major implosion over QUan, that will be probably year 4 though. They want a winner when they move into the new stadium, they knew Green could build the team. I don't see him gone after 2 years they simply don't operate that way, use a guy like that.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Barring a major implosion over QUan, that will be probably year 4 though. They want a winner when they move into the new stadium, they knew Green could build the team. I don't see him gone after 2 years they simply don't operate that way, use a guy like that.

Yes, Green has a minimum of two, maybe three, years to get a winner on the field his way. I think the hand wringing over the QBs has been overdone. Yes, it has been ugly to watch the last few weeks, but I'm sure the Bidwills still see the big picture. Being:

A. They've seen a hell of a lot worse with a lot less hope for the future.

B. Green's personnel choices in the offseason have been, overall, better than they could even dream of in the past.

If Green does even HALF as well as he did this last offseason, we'll be loaded for bear next year. Doing half as well would mean 2 draft picks being immediate solid starters, 2 free agents stepping in and improving their position, and finding three minimum vets or rookie free agents who are better than what they replaced.

Shuesters2

Wind Breaker
Reaction score
The Q-Bomb is definately operating below optimal. (A lesser man would be in an iron lung or in traction.) Last year he would of broke Barrett's tackle for YACs, instead he fumbles. Against Carolina he didn't make a play on the jump ball that Gamble intercepted in the endzone. Pre injury Q scores on that. Barnett's interception this week should of been a battle, Anquan was late and didn't even make a play.

Who else but the Quan could come back and contribute after a major knee problem? But he isn't the dominator he was last year, just a good wide out.

Shuesters

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Q is not 100%. He has admitted that. When he came back for his first game after the injury his knee was hurting again. He has lost strength and explosivness in it. He is also said that he not at his ideal weight at the moment, that's why he looks bigger.

We won't see the real Q till' next season when he is recovered 100%. Same for Fitzgerald who is still not healthy.

Anyway, even at 75 - 80% he still had like 8 receptions for 100 yds. That's nothing to sneeze at!

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In ways this thread simply cracks me up.

I've never seen so many fickle, wishy-washy fans in all my life.

Last year Quan could do no wrong. Universally accepted as a rare gem of a find...shattered the NFL rookie receiving records to smitherenes. The only rookie to go to the pro bowl, ....on and on and on.

After all that, and the draft, he is then informed that he is being moved out of "his" position which is being given to Green's god-son, who also, incidently is given contract terms that bring back visions of one awarded Jake Plummer a few years back. Paying more than was really necessary.

In training camp, he is unecessarily pushed too hard, steamrolled, by Green's drive to "toughen this team up and weed out the bad attitudes and loafers".

He comes back, to an offensive system that seems to resemble the Jerry Sullivan chinese fire drill of last year more than an astute offensive plan.

The speed receivers are cut. The remaining receivers, although generally seem to have "good hands", etc, all have one other thing in common.....they probably can't outrun Russell Davis.

Fitz and Johnson have not been 100%.

The offensive line has been for the most part woeful.

I think I was the first one here to point out that once back, Quan just wasn't getting any elevation. No surprise there.

And now, we have all these people turning on him. Even starting to say maybe he should be traded.

Amazing, Simply Amazing !!!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:

Last year Quan could do no wrong. Universally accepted as a rare gem of a find...shattered the NFL rookie receiving records to smitherenes. The only rookie to go to the pro bowl, ....on and on and on.

After all that, and the draft, he is then informed that he is being moved out of "his" position which is being given to Green's god-son, who also, incidently is given contract terms that bring back visions of one awarded Jake Plummer a few years back. Paying more than was really necessary.

In training camp, he is unecessarily pushed too hard, steamrolled, by Green's drive to "toughen this team up and weed out the bad attitudes and loafers".

He comes back, to an offensive system that seems to resemble the Jerry Sullivan chinese fire drill of last year more than an astute offensive plan.

The speed receivers are cut. The remaining receivers, although generally seem to have "good hands", etc, all have one other thing in common.....they probably can't outrun Russell Davis.

I think I was the first one here to point out that once back, Quan just wasn't getting any elevation. No surprise there.

And now, we have all these people turning on him. Even starting to say maybe he should be traded.

I reread the entire thread and no one thought he should be traded.

Russ just speculated that it might be a possibility due to his agent and Green siding with Fitz.

It makes sense to me, Quan put up the numbers and we gave Fitz the farm before play one. It' no coicidence he hired an attack dog agent. He's aiming for Fitz type money and I can see that being a problem.

No one advocates it and no one believes he won't come back from the injury but it's valid to say he seems frustrated with himself or something.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I thought Fitzgeralds contract was riddled with incentives?

So that even though it was something like 60 mil... He wasn't going to see alot of it unless he went to the pro-bowl this year, had 1,000 yds recieving etc?

With these thoughts of Q being upset about Fitzgeralds 'big' contract. I just wonder how much Fitzgerald is actually getting?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
I thought Fitzgeralds contract was riddled with incentives?

So that even though it was something like 60 mil... He wasn't going to see alot of it unless he went to the pro-bowl this year, had 1,000 yds recieving etc?

With these thoughts of Q being upset about Fitzgeralds 'big' contract. I just wonder how much Fitzgerald is actually getting?

Whoops hit wrong key. Portis fired his agent and hired Rosenhaus specifically to get a new deal or force his way out. Ogunleye fired his agent and hired Rosenhaus to get a new deal or force a trade, Kearse fired his agent and hired Rosenhaus and left as a FA. All had Florida connections, that's where Rosenhaus is based.

GM's hate him, players love him, he plays hardball.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh, I don't dispute any of the points you made Conrad.

The biggest "red flag" to me has been the penalties he's been picking up lately. The false starts, etc.
Are they due to more problems with the whole team and snap counts? Loss of concentration of Quan's part? ....which is sometimes the result of "attitude"?

I agree, he doesn't look like a happy camper. Certainly not the Quan of last year. How much of THAT is due to the injury situation?

One thing I noticed, last game, I will try and find it again, is Josh running out to really encourage Quan at one point. I don't remember exactly when, but at the time, it struck me as.....boy I sure don't see any problem between these two.

I'd be willing to bet he probably is frustrated at his own present ability to do some of the things he could before. That would only be expected.

Myself, if I were him, my other biggest frustration right now, would be in the play calling and the design of the pass plays/routes themselves.

Too many times the last few game we saw either Josh or King, when they did have time, running around in the backfield with no one really to throw to unless they try and force it into close and/or double-triple coverage.

It doesn't take pure speed to get open. Quan proved that last year.
Too many times lately the play design just seems flawed from the beginning.

Too many time's I've seen two receivers encroaching each others routes.

That has to be mental errors on the receiver's part or poor play design!

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
Oh, I don't dispute any of the points you made Conrad.

The biggest "red flag" to me has been the penalties he's been picking up lately. The false starts, etc.
Are they due to more problems with the whole team and snap counts? Loss of concentration of Quan's part? ....which is sometimes the result of "attitude"?

I agree, he doesn't look like a happy camper. Certainly not the Quan of last year. How much of THAT is due to the injury situation?

One thing I noticed, last game, I will try and find it again, is Josh running out to really encourage Quan at one point. I don't remember exactly when, but at the time, it struck me as.....boy I sure don't see any problem between these two.

I'd be willing to bet he probably is frustrated at his own present ability to do some of the things he could before. That would only be expected.

Myself, if I were him, my other biggest frustration right now, would be in the play calling and the design of the pass plays/routes themselves.

Too many times the last few game we saw either Josh or King, when they did have time, running around in the backfield with no one really to throw to unless they try and force it into close and/or double-triple coverage.

It doesn't take pure speed to get open. Quan proved that last year.
Too many times lately the play design just seems flawed from the beginning.

Too many time's I've seen two receivers encroaching each others routes.

That has to be mental errors on the receiver's part or poor play design!

I think we all agree that Boldin will be and is good. Where I am afraid Russ is right is that due to all these factors Boldin may feel he wants out to chuck the whole situation.

Boldin is a great kid but if you can hire someone like Rosenhaus who isn't above whispering in your ear you need to get out of there it's almost like being someone swiming in debt and hearing a bankruptcy attourney commercial.

We are all speculating and I hope I see Boldin retire a Cardinal but he wouldn't be the first guy to want out and the Fitz contract practically paved the way out of town as Russ layed out.

Fitz never signs we get Big Ben I highly doubt the whole issue even comes up and so since we did sign Fitz the situation is what it is.

DG's answer to your question about the overall lack of cohesion or bad play calling is to say well it's the players not the system so since it isn't working with these guys we will just plug in even less experience and that'll fix it.

It's the boldest move I have ever seen, born out of either desperation, stupidity or pure genius. DG isn't stupid so that only leaves two options.

I have my guess as to what will happen but we will see.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
It's the boldest move I have ever seen, born out of either desperation, stupidity or pure genius. DG isn't stupid so that only leaves two options.

I have my guess as to what will happen but we will see.

When Green is in year 1 of a five year deal with the Bidwills as his boss, it is certainly not desperation. Do you really think he is making moves because he feels pressure to make the playoffs this year? Do you think the Bidwills are ticked off about a loss on the road and a 13-3 loss to a 7-3 team at home and are putting the heat on Green? :biglaugh:

That leaves "stupid" or "pure genius" as options. And, I don't think we'll really know the final answer to that this season, whether we finish 4-12 or 9-7.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Boldin is about to go supernova!

You watch. He will be one of the best!

Peace

:thumbup:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:

A WR false starting has nothing to due with snap counts. A WR is taught to go when the ball moves not when they here the snap count beucase 95% of the time they cannot here the snap count all the way over to their position. That is why coaches get the most pissed off when a WR false starts becuase there is no snap count to forget only watch for ball movement. There is just no reason for a WR to false start.

His false starts are all about your second comment. His frustration over his current ability or lack there of, is making him try to jump the gun as soon as possible to make up for lack of acceleration and explosivness. Once his abilites fully come back the false starts will stop.

RoyGreen

Reaction score
I agree some of those yards came late in games trailing by a wide margin. Notwithstanding that, it was still a very impressive year. But I dont think he will match those numbers again until we get decent QB play and/or a speed receiver.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
Many good analysis here, but although many Cards fans are afraid to say it.......Qb Blake and Quan had good on-field chemistery; plus he liked playing for Coach Mac :thumbup:

And if Quan is not happy here, many teams will go after him.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Quan is a slot receiver. Green is playing him out of position.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There are way

too many variables here. The off-sides=mental rust, routes=suck, play calling=suck, out of position, injury, Qb carousel, new system, not the only "go to guy" anymore, contract talks, weak season=less bargaining power(perception). Just way too much going on and I'm sure Ive left some of it out.
don't worry, everything is going to wok out with Boldin.
Not only that, but, my wife bought a Cardinals "jersey" for the first time this year, it was a Boldin jersey.

OP
OP
P

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:

I haven't posted on this board for very long but I've noticed you have a tendency to rewrite reality. I haven't seen any fans turning on Boldin. My point was he seems overly frustrated.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
Quan is a slot receiver. Green is playing him out of position.

Bingo. Part of what makes Quan special is his ability to change directions in one step at any speed. Slot is perfect for him.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've never seen so many fickle, wishy-washy fans in all my life. Last year Quan could do no wrong.
He is what he is. Last year, he was tough in a crowd with hands of velcro. This year, he's dropped a few catchable balls, put the ball on the ground once or twice and has been flagged for motion and false-start transgressions.

This isn't a matter of being wishy washy toward Q. It's not even a matter of being judgmental about Anquan's future. We're just relaying what our eye-balls are telling us.

As to slot vs. outside - The main reason why Q was moved out of the slot was to save his body from punishment. Unfortunately, I think Anquan's calling in life is as a Pro Bowl caliber slot receiver who isn't as well-suited to play on the outside as other Cardinal wideouts.

Tough call: If we want to make the offense more productive, the logical move would be to put Anquan back in the slot. But if we do so, we (and Boldin) will have to accept the added risk of injury, shortened career or at the very least, living with his being busted up on a day to day basis.