Boldin's attitude

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Does this guy seem like a different player from last year, attitude wise? I don't know if it is because he is pissed off about the Cards taking Fitz, frustration over the injury, lack of opportunities to make a play, or what. I just don't get the feeling he's happy here right now.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
pete said:
Does this guy seem like a different player from last year, attitude wise? I don't know if it is because he is pissed off about the Cards taking Fitz, frustration over the injury, lack of opportunities to make a play, or what. I just don't get the feeling he's happy here right now.
Would you be happy with the way our QB been playing? I know I wouldn't.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just isn't as explosive, and the QB play has been horrid. It's only human that he would be frustrated.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
I still don't think Quan is fully healed, he's about 80% healthy right now and plus he missed what 7 games and he's playing in a new position this year. :shrug:

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The whole offense sucks this year. Green has to mix and match this year to find out who his players are. Q is one of them, but without his contract who knows where he goes? Or stays.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
I still don't think Quan is fully healed, he's about 80% healthy right now and plus he missed what 7 games and he's playing in a new position this year. :shrug:

Put him back in the "slot" where he belongs.

As someone who's exceptional in crossing patterns and YAC, he's out of position at this point (IMO).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
He just isn't as explosive, and the QB play has been horrid. It's only human that he would be frustrated.

If you read the Fox Sports thread, aside from praising Berry, there's a blurb in there about Boldin adjusting to Split End after playing in the slot last year, and getting far less crossing patterns. That's my impression so far too, he caught a LOT more balls over the middle last year, resulted in more hits, but also more opportunities to run after the catch. The fumble Sunday was an example of that frustration, nice play by Barrett, but really Quan was trying to make a play after the catch instead of protecting the ball first.

His YPC number is down nearly 3 yards, he's absolutely not as explosive, hopefully it's just recovering from the surgery, I mentioned 2 weeks ago he seems to have bulked up and I hope that's not slowing him down.

I do wonder if it's also more noticeable because he's playing outside more and being asked to do different things?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Put him back in the "slot" where he belongs.

As someone who's exceptional in crossing patterns and YAC, he's out of position at this point (IMO).

agreed.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has had several false start penalties called on him (which is unusual for him), that at first I thought might be rust. Maybe because he is not up to 100% he needs an edge off of the line, which he sometimes mis-judges.

Could the lack of a contract also be a distraction? I'm not a cap guy, but wasn't the situation in Denver similar with Portis, where not having a contract extension makes it easier to trade a player?

Not a prediction, only a thought.

The Shark

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
He has had several false start penalties called on him (which is unusual for him), that at first I thought might be rust. Maybe because he is not up to 100% he needs an edge off of the line, which he sometimes mis-judges.

Could the lack of a contract also be a distraction? I'm not a cap guy, but wasn't the situation in Denver similar with Portis, where not having a contract extension makes it easier to trade a player?

Not a prediction, only a thought.

The Shark

He has a contract, he just wants a better one. Portis was in the same boat, middle of an existing contract wanted a better one.

Any trade with QUan would have the same scenario, the team doing the trade would have to know they could sign Quan to a new deal.

I don't want it to happen, I think the logical move is Quan back in the slot where he's best but that probably involves moving Fitzgerald to a new spot and we will see if Green will do that.

I wouldn't be stunned to see a trade, but I don't think it would be Quan forcing it like Portis did, I think it would be Green forcing it by saying Quan wanted too much money and we couldn't pay it so we chose to move him to better the team elsewhere. Hopefully the Cards will sign him to a nice new deal, the knee heals, and we all get to watch the 2 together for the next 10 years.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
I don't want it to happen, I think the logical move is Quan back in the slot where he's best but that probably involves moving Fitzgerald to a new spot and we will see if Green will do that.

I don't think Fitageralds best position is in the slot. He's not someone who get's a lot of YAC. He's best at going downfield and getting jump balls. I think a move would be best for both of them.

OP
OP
P

pete

All Star
Reaction score
Maybe Boldin is unhappy with his role in Green's offense. I think he was happy when King was named the starter since King tended to look for him first. Physically, he does not look like the same player he was last year but he looks to be overly frustrated too. More so than other players on this offense. Maybe he just cares about winning more. I don't know. He just seemed to have a more positive attitude last season even though the Cards were a much worse team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
I don't think Fitageralds best position is in the slot. He's not someone who get's a lot of YAC. He's best at going downfield and getting jump balls. I think a move would be best for both of them.

Completely agree.

One thing, I saw on ESPN last night a "montage" of horrible throws by King on Sunday and it's not a stretch to say Fitz SHOULD have had 3 TD's Sunday if King could throw a forward pass. The pick to Vilma of course, but there was also the badly underthrown flea flicker, and another "jump ball" in the endzone where he threw an uncatchable ball over Fitz. Saw it live but watching it again, it's clear that Fitz IS getting more explosive as his ankle heals. I still feel he wasn't the best choice for our offense, but I DO feel he is good enough to make this work next year.

QUan healthy will be better, Fitz healthy will be better, we just gotta get someone who can get the damn ball to them. The chances were there Sunday, there were 2 others where Quan "should" have had a TD but didn't get the throw.

Put a fast RB and a good QB on this offense and I think people start talking about how improved the OL looks.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does this guy seem like a different player from last year, attitude wise?
Thanks for speaking up and thinking the unthinkable.

The false starts, the occasional dropped pass and last week's fumble are uncharacteristic of the Q. And, it's seemed to me that he scowls an awful lot this year.

Maybe it's his new role. Maybe it's the comeback from injury. Maybe it had to do with contract renegotiation. Maybe losing is eating away at him. Or maybe he misses Sully.

Point is - this season, Anquan hasn't quite looked like the same dude he was last year.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the rest of the league has adjusted to Boldin as well.

Boldin is not fast. He wasn't fast before the knee injury and he is not fast now. What he is when he is healthy is shifty and has extremely strong hands. I wonder what we really have in Boldin. He had an awesome year last year, but I think some of that had to do with us being just an awful team and he being the first and sometimes only option on offense. Look back at the stats from last year and outside of the Green Bay win, most of Boldin's big stat games came when we were getting blown out. He put up extremely impressive numbers late in the 4th quarter when coverage wasn't quite as tight.

Don't get me wrong. I like Boldin. He is a great competitor who has a chance to be really good again. I just don't know if he is a franchise type reciever.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Maybe he is just so tired of signing all of those autographs and making up for the ones Fitz wont sign. ;)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Does this guy seem like a different player from last year, attitude wise?
Thanks for speaking up and thinking the unthinkable.

The false starts, the occasional dropped pass and last week's fumble are uncharacteristic of the Q. And, it's seemed to me that he scowls an awful lot this year.

Agree on most points but Quan has ALWAYS fumbled too much. Remember the fumble on the punt return against Detroit last year? Heck the predraft scouting report on NFL.com under negatives says, needs to protect the ball better before running after the catch, tends to fumble.

He has always caught balls in traffic and tried to run without tucking them in.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
With regards to this thread I will only say what I said when the Rams let Az-hakim go. An offense does not get better by subtracting IMPACT players. An offense does not get better by subtracting IMPACT players. Q is a known quantity. He is an impact player when healthy. He has a great attitude, not a David Boston attitude. He has a huge Impact on what we do on offense. The Cardinals can afford to extend him and get a high quality RB and a servicable QB like Kitna. If he is being played out of position I would expect the coaches will recognize this and make the adjustments. We should be talking about Bryant Johnson being sent packing because he is a bust in the speed department and we need an Eddie Kenison type player to stretch the field. Q and Fitz will be great with a speed threat and more productivity from the QB position. Our draft this year has to go Offense in the early rounds. DG goes best player available so we will have to see if that is Running back or not but If a tackle is there in the middle of the 1st rd we may take them. OLINE is the biggest need and outside of LD and Step we may have to send all the rest packing. Would like Shelton back but he has not shown enough to warrent his money. We dump both Bryant and Johnson and save some money and King comes back our DLINE is in good shape. Hill and Starks could comeback. Wilson needs to be extended. IMO Q is having a down sophmore year due to injury and an inept offense. He may be frustrated by this but he is still the same player he was and he can have a huge impact in this offense.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Boldin is Boldin

This guy has not changed attitude wise. He is coming back from an injury some players would scrap the whole season on. He might have been upset with Fitz's contract but welcomed someone to take the coverage off of him. This is a guy that is a team player and would play QB if Green asked him, he did everything asked of him at Florida St. and never complained. He is frustrated with losing and not being 100% and not having a QB who can get the ball to him or Fitz. I would be shocked if the Cardinals let Boldin go at the end of his contract and just don't see it happening. Green might not know the solution at QB at the moment but knows Fitz and Boldin are not part of the problem but part of the solution and I doubt he would scrap either of them in the long term because that part of the puzzle he has figured out. We need a deep threat and a QB, Green knows this and it's not rocket science. B. Johnson might not be around because of the QBs deciding his future in Arizona, the guy never gets a decent look to prove himself and when he does the QB screws up the pass as he does with Fitz, Boldin and F. Jones.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe I've been watching Fitz jump for balls too much, but Quan doesn't seem to be able to elevate AT ALL. It's one thing to have strong hands, but hopefully he regains his ability to go get the ball.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
Maybe I've been watching Fitz jump for balls too much, but Quan doesn't seem to be able to elevate AT ALL. It's one thing to have strong hands, but hopefully he regains his ability to go get the ball.

Yes. That was my thought exactly on the play right before McCown's interception. Last year, Boldin goes up and snags that ball before Buckley makes a play on it. This year, he barely got off the ground.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:

That's the surgery. You lose muscle strength around the knee and until it comes back, you are not going to be able to jump the same.

He'll be a different guy next year with no more injuries, I also hope he drops about 10 pounds I think he bulked up too much and now he's carrying that weight on a bad leg.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO comming off the injury and not having a good qb to throw to him are the main problems. He will heal and the qb situation will be fixed. (However that might not be until next season) They won't trade him but will work out the contract. . Denny isn't dumb, he knows that Fitz and Quan are the heart of our offense for the future.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
IMO comming off the injury and not having a good qb to throw to him are the main problems. He will heal and the qb situation will be fixed. (However that might not be until next season) They won't trade him but will work out the contract. . Denny isn't dumb, he knows that Fitz and Quan are the heart of our offense for the future.

I certainly hope you're right, Quan is my favorite Card I'm certainly not campaigning to see him traded.

But remember, one of the early moves in the Dennis Green Viking coach era
was getting rid of Herschel because he realized he didn't fit his system. So he dumped Walker, gave Terry Allen the job and never looked back. He's not afraid to remove a high profile player, even a popular one like Quan, if it suits him.

If he thinks Boldin's contract is going to be a problem, that's when a trade could become an option, hopefully it won't, but there's a reason quan hired Rosenhaus.

I also hope if it came to that Graves and Bidwill have the backbone to step in and say hold it Al Haig you're not in charge here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn