Big Red Huddle: Dansby

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
Lets not lose our heads here. For those that want to discuss this without losing your cool, stay here. Let's huddle-up with regular personnel and talk about how this thing gets into the end-zone.

Something is seriously wrong with Karlos Dansby and all the money in Arizona is not going to fix it. I have never seen a person's character improve with mega-money. If Dansby had a character flaw before, money will only make it worse.

But I don't believe this is really just about money. It's about right and wrong. It's about wanting to play football.

Dansby needs to realize he's playing professional football, where sacrificing your body is part of the deal. He needs to learn how to play with pain. He needs to learn that a pro is accountable and dependable above all else. He needs to learn how to be a pro.

What say you?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
while I AM one to question the Cards in monetary endeavors in other areas, I WON'T place blame for them over whatever's going on with Dansby. Something just seems not right with this kid right now which is a freaking shame because he's got MEGA-STAR written all over him if he put his mind and body and heart and soul into the game. Talent likes his doesn't come around too often, but I guess the same can be said about talent AND heart - that's a rare combination as well.

OP
OP
Hardy Brown

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
The question: would Dansby put his "heart and soul" into the game if he made more money? I don't think he would.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
The Dansby-Dockett duo was supposed to come to fruition this year. I see Dockett is still grinding it out, but I could not see Dansby anywhere on the practice field today.

Dansby has gone MIA just when the Cardinals are threatining a play-off run. It sounds like there is some trouble alright.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
The question: would Dansby put his "heart and soul" into the game if he made more money? I don't think he would.

I don't think so - that's why I think something's wrong with him and it's a shame. I hope to be proven wrong. He had the tools to be the next Wilbur Marshall.

OP
OP
Hardy Brown

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
If his character won't improve with money; if he won't learn how to be a pro, what do you do with a guy like this?

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Too many variables to make an accurate guess..I don't know Karlos personally..Is he the type of guys that would play hurt unless he sees the big $$$? Or is he a hurt athelete that feels he is being pushed into playing too soon..all I can say is he is a tremendous athelete and a key nucleaus to this young Caedinals team..it would be a shame if this gets ugly..all I would offer is that the way Dansby was playing he was heading for a HUGE paycheck when his contract was up (or even sooner)..I just hope he's not going postal...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:
If his character won't improve with money; if he won't learn how to be a pro, what do you do with a guy like this?

I don't know - and I also think it may be too early to throw this label on him, especially considering he was one of the few guys that actually played out the string last year on an absolutely awful team. I mean, if he was THAT much of a quitter, you'd think he would have found a way out for himself down the stretch. It's a tough situation because of the guy's UNDENIABLE talent and it's even tougher because we have no idea what's going on.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I wonder if there's something going on with the kid, as well. I wonder if maybe the team is placing too much responsibility on him that he doesn't want or isn't ready for. Some great players just aren't leaders, and don't want to be.

It's unbelievable that this kid is this good and probably five months away from a seven-digit signing bonus, and he's tossing it like this.

There's no indication--I don't think--that this is about money. Has anyone said or heard anything about it being about money, or is that board speculation. There's never been an off-the-field problem with the kid I don't think in college...

OP
OP
Hardy Brown

Hardy Brown

Rookie
Reaction score
You do exactly what Dennis Green is doing. Don't let the kid on the field until practice is almost over and/or send him down the hill, take him away from his teammates. Kudos to coach Green.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I wonder if there's something going on with the kid, as well. I wonder if maybe the team is placing too much responsibility on him that he doesn't want or isn't ready for. Some great players just aren't leaders, and don't want to be.

It's unbelievable that this kid is this good and probably five months away from a seven-digit signing bonus, and he's tossing it like this.

There's no indication--I don't think--that this is about money. Has anyone said or heard anything about it being about money, or is that board speculation. There's never been an off-the-field problem with the kid I don't think in college...

I even heard him on Siruis a couple of days ago and he seemed excited about participating and being part of Arizona's team. It could be a case of the player feeling he is injured worse than the coaches believe.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
It could be a case of the player feeling he is injured worse than the coaches believe.

Something else wrong besides his thumb?

He is going to work out at the PHX facility. Why cant he do that same workouts in Flag with the rest of his teammates instead of coninueing to alieanate himself from them.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

There is no way he was even close to a 10+ mill signing bonus unless he signed a 7 year deal.

Boldin only got a 5 Mill signing bonus, a 5 Mill Roster bonus this year on a 4 year extension. Boldin is and still is a pro bowl caliber players and a leader. Dansby isnt even close to that. Dansby would have been lucky to get 6 Mill in gaurantees with raised base salaries on a 4 year extension. You have to be an elite LB to get a 10 Mill signing bonus, and Dansby is not Elite and never will be until he gets the drive for it.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Hardy, how has he been acting up in Flag? At the scrimmage he wasn't talking to anyone and seemed almost like a cancer. I hate to go that far but it just seemed that he didn't want to be there or want to have anything to do with anyone there. I hope Denny sent him home for rehab reasons and not for being a negative distraction to the rest of the team

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
There is no way he was even close to a 10+ mill signing bonus unless he signed a 7 year deal.

Boldin only got a 5 Mill signing bonus, a 5 Mill Roster bonus this year on a 4 year extension. Boldin is and still is a pro bowl caliber players and a leader. Dansby isnt even close to that. Dansby would have been lucky to get 6 Mill in gaurantees with raised base salaries on a 4 year extension. You have to be an elite LB to get a 10 Mill signing bonus, and Dansby is not Elite and never will be until he gets the drive for it.

K9 said 7 digit, joe. For what it's worth, they showed Dansby on the bike on Cardinals Live. I don't know how old the footage was though.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
I may be dreaming but I thought the Poston's were KD's agents. Sounds like a move they would endorse.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Some great players just aren't leaders, and don't want to be.

There's never been an off-the-field problem with the kid I don't think in college...

Sorry but you cannot be a great player without being a leader to. They go hand in hand. You can only reach good player status while not being a leader. Being a leader is what makes good players great. And there are many kinds of leadership other then vocal.

A person who has leadership qualities just has that little extra motivation, that little extra mojo if you will, that makes them into great players.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
Hardy Brown said:

If this is the case, then the organization is left with no choice, they must do without him. Dansby needs to learn that this is a team game. If he can't learn to sacrifice, play with pain (players so rarely make it thought an entire season unscathed), push himself to excel, then you can't count on him and are better off finding someone who wants to be there, such as Pace. This also sends a message to other members of the team that no one individual is above the team.
I believe that the mental aspect of the game is what seperates average and good/great players. Sure, super physical abilities are nice, but that doesn't make anyone a pro-bowler alone. Besides, this is the NFL, everyone has tremendous athletic ability.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Twist18 said:
I may be dreaming but I thought the Poston's were KD's agents. Sounds like a move they would endorse.

I believe you are correct.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Sorry but you cannot be a great player without being a leader to. They go hand in hand. You can only reach good player status while not being a leader. Being a leader is what makes good players great. And there are many kinds of leadership other then vocal.

A person who has leadership qualities just has that little extra motivation, that little extra mojo if you will, that makes them into great players.

As much as I want agree with this, I can't. Terrell Owens is a great player and he is as far from a leader. I guess you could say his on-field performance is his way of leading but that can onlyget you so far. The same can be said for other great players- Randy Moss, Chad Johnson (to some extent), Jeremy Shockey......

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
K9 said 7 digit, joe. For what it's worth, they showed Dansby on the bike on Cardinals Live. I don't know how old the footage was though.

Hey I dont have 7 fingers so I had to guess.:D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
As much as I want agree with this, I can't. Terrell Owens is a great player and he is as far from a leader. I guess you could say his on-field performance is his way of leading but that can onlyget you so far. The same can be said for other great players- Randy Moss, Chad Johnson (to some extent), Jeremy Shockey......

You just didnt say Jeremy Shockey did you and great in the same sentance did you.

History and time will seperate the great and good players. It always does and always will.

As for TO, there is more to being a leader then just toeing the line. The guy leaves everything he has on the field each and every game, the same with practices, that cannot be denied. So he is a leader in some instances, not a great one but a little bit non the less. I cant say that Dansby leves it all on the field or the practice field. there is a reason he isnt a pro bowler and taht because he doesnt practice in the offseason and is highly inconsistent from game to game.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
My best guess is that this has more to do with Dansby having ego problems with being moved, it's really the only thing that makes sense.

We can only guess at what's the problem but if I'm guessing I'm guessing that's what it is.

He's never exhibited this type behavior before, the leadership thing, well I'm sure they'd like that but I have no doubt if he plays the way he has they'd live with it.

Some guys respond differntly to being pressured, it's most likely he's just the balky type that's stubborn and is throwing the equivalent of a passive agressive temper tantrum about being told something he dosen't want to hear.

That's what it looks like to me for what it's worth.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think everyone needs to take note here. Hardy Brown is calling this kid out. And he doesnt sound like the type of guy who will do something like that unless it is validated IMO. Since when has he said a single negative thing about this team so far. Even if a guy isnt playing so well in practice he will always point out a positive to go along with it.

I had real serious concerns about this a month ago and even mentioned them. Now that Hardy is calling him out my concerns are not only validated in my mind he has raised my concerns even more to include possible money issues and even more character concerns then I originally thought in the first place, and all with good reason.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
You just didnt say Jeremy Shockey did you and great in the same sentance did you.

History and time will seperate the great and good players. It always does and always will.

As for TO, there is more to being a leader then just toeing the line. The guy leaves everything he has on the field each and every game, the same with practices, that cannot be denied. So he is a leader in some instances, not a great one but a little bit non the less. I cant say that Dansby leves it all on the field or the practice field. there is a reason he isnt a pro bowler and taht because he doesnt practice in the offseason and is highly inconsistent from game to game.

Shockey is one of the better TE's in football today so he could end up being a great one (guess I'm comparing him amongst his position players). Considering he can't block he's prob a long shot but as you said we won't know for years to come. I hate Shockey too so I'm surprised I put him in there

As for TO, I said he plays hard and there are leadership qualities in that. No way in hell I would ever call him a leader though which is where our difference is. Randy Moss is a "great player" and he has zero leaderships qualities. He takes plays off, alienates his teamates, off field issues..... I'm not saying at all that leadership is an overrated attribute but it's my opinion that a player can be great without being a leader. I would take one Anquan Boldin (a leader and quality guy) over three Terrell Ownens any day of the week

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson