Bidwill impact: $2.6 billion a year, 23,000 jobs

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bidwill project's impact: $2.6 billion a year, 23,000 jobs
Scott Wong
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 11, 2007 07:36 AM

The Bidwill family's planned business park just south of University of Phoenix Stadium would generate $2.6 billion a year and create nearly 23,000 direct and indirect jobs, according to a new economic-impact report by Valley economist Elliott Pollack.

cbd101, the NFL family's $1.2 billion office, retail and residential district, also would produce a total of $2.1 billion and nearly 20,000 direct and indirect jobs over the course of its decade-long build-out along Loop 101 at Bethany Home Road in Glendale.

The report, which will be filed with the city next week, did not include an analysis of associated costs.

Glendale leaders' proactive efforts to lure the Arizona Cardinals football stadium, concert and hockey arena and the expanding Westgate City Center have helped the city net the Bidwill family's $1.2 billion business-park project, Pollack said.

"This represents the continuation of really what is happening in Glendale through conscious choices they have made," said Pollack, chief executive of Elliott D. Pollack & Co., which provides economic and real-estate consulting services. "They have changed the face of Glendale, and that will mean more upscale development but also more (employment) choices for citizens on the west side and more tax revenue to meet their needs."

Construction of cbd101 will bring a total of $16.8 million in sales-tax revenue into Glendale coffers, with the city getting another $10.1 million each year after completion.

Blueprints for cbd101, which stands for "central business district," call for 2.6 million square feet of office space with as many as a dozen large corporate buildings along Loop 101; a 36-story iconic tower with residential, office and hotel space; shops, restaurants and a farmer's market; three stand-alone hotels; more than 900 residential units of varying housing types; and an organic farm.

Cardinals President Michael Bidwill had been the public face of the project since May, but younger brother Tim Bidwill said in an interview this week that he's taking over cbd101's day-to-day operations.

Tim Bidwill said he was struck by the fact that the economic impact of February's Super Bowl, estimated at more than $400 million, pales in comparison with the $2.6 billion annual output of the project.

"It's a substantially significant number," said Tim Bidwill, 35. "That is the first number I looked at, and I just had a big smile on my face."

According to recent estimates by the Maricopa Association of Governments, the office jobs-to-population ratio in Glendale was one-fifth of the countywide average of 0.5. cbd101 and other office projects springing up in the region should change that, creating jobs and reducing commutes for West Valley residents, said project consultant Michael Rushman.

"The project draws from a huge West Valley labor force which disproportionately drives enormous distances to get to their jobs," he said. "If employers locate 25 miles closer to workers' homes, they will snag them."

Residents from the Pendergast Estates county island, which abuts cbd101, have voiced concerns that the 77-acre project will bring more congestion to their streets.

But Rushman said all issues with the surrounding community had been resolved. The Bidwills will abandon plans to connect Pendergast streets to major arterial roads and preserve the neighborhoods' cul-de-sacs.

The city's Planning Commission is expected to review the project on Jan. 3, with the City Council taking it up on Jan. 22.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's play Cardinal Jeopardy:

Answer:

Question:

What effect have the Bidwills had on the aspirin industry?

JTS

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mesa really blew it. But hey that have that great Bass Fishing shop :trout:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gosh, too bad they couldn't build the stadium in a flight path.

/tempe

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Let's play Cardinal Jeopardy:

Answer:

Question:

What effect have the Bidwills had on the aspirin industry?

JTS

4/5

cbd101, the NFL family's $1.2 billion office, retail and residential district, also would produce a total of $2.1 billion and nearly 20,000 direct and indirect jobs over the course of its decade-long build-out along Loop 101 at Bethany Home Road in Glendale.

A decade? You can do that in 4 years!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My over/under assessment of this thread was that the negative bs would start to show upwithin the first 4 posts.

You didn't disappoint me.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My over/under assessment of this thread was that the negative bs would start to show upwithin the first 4 posts.

You didn't disappoint me.

It's all been sarcastic.

I don't think anyone has been negative, for real.

The Bidwills are unfairly criticized all the time, and it sucks.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
Gosh, too bad they couldn't build the stadium in a flight path.

/tempe

The high rise condos being built and the planned expansion of Monti's will exceed the height of the plan for the Cardinals stadium... this was all about Skippy Rimza not wanting the competition for conference centers...the current location will not meet the potential of being built in Mesa, Tempe or even downtown PHX for YEARS!

Mesa is a joke with the "Waveyard" and Bass Pro... they do NOTHING for Mesa... Mesaberry RFD!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to recent estimates by the Maricopa Association of Governments, the office jobs-to-population ratio in Glendale was one-fifth of the countywide average of 0.5. cbd101 and other office projects springing up in the region should change that, creating jobs and reducing commutes for West Valley residents, said project consultant Michael Rushman.

"The project draws from a huge West Valley labor force which disproportionately drives enormous distances to get to their jobs," he said. "If employers locate 25 miles closer to workers' homes, they will snag them."

So true, alot of people here drive insane distances, an office in glendale would do them wonders.

Hopefully Glendale turns into a town, rather than the boring garbage it is now. Besides Sundays, its pointless.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
The Bidwill family's planned business park just south of University of Phoenix Stadium would generate $2.6 billion a year and create nearly 23,000 direct and indirect jobs, according to a new economic-impact report by Valley economist Elliott Pollack.

Isn't the title a little misleading? I don't think the Bidwill's are creating 23,000 jobs, but rather the tenants in the business park will create the 23,000 jobs.

They should be credited for helping bring those jobs to Glendale vs. a business park in another part of town.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait so this impact is for the "planned" business park? Lemme know when it happens.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
It's all been sarcastic.

The Bidwills are unfairly criticized all the time, and it sucks.

In the end Bidwill economic impact is just tasty icing on a huge shitcake.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
It's all been sarcastic.

The Bidwills are unfairly criticized all the time, and it sucks.[/
QUOTE]

I hope this was sarcasm or you are totally oblivious to the putrid football product they have put on the field for over 25 years. They have earned the criticism they have gotten and being made to put there stadium in the Bugtussle area of our fine town shows how much the PTB wanted there putrid team no where close to the mainstream Phoenix metro. The Bidwills and the stadium are over there for one reason....they got development rights and didn't have to share with a municapality(MESA, Tempe, PHX, all wanted a share of the pie). Everyone knows how bad they raped a willing Glendale for the improvements. The Bidwills are a shining example of how not to build a winning football organization. They are consistantly rated the worst Sports team owners in all sports or near the bottom. That is what Sucks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They have earned the criticism they have gotten and being made to put there stadium in the Bugtussle area of our fine town shows how much the PTB wanted there putrid team no where close to the mainstream Phoenix metro. The Bidwills and the stadium are over there for one reason....they got development rights and didn't have to share with a municapality(MESA, Tempe, PHX, all wanted a share of the pie). Everyone knows how bad they raped a willing Glendale for the improvements.
Perhaps you have forgotten that the original site, and where construction first began for the Cardinals stadium was in Tempe. But then Skippy (Phoenix mayor) got involved and the FAA jumped in on his side. As I recall, the Bidwills arranged a development deal near that location also but not even close to the scale they will do in Glendale.

Everyone knows how bad they raped a willing Glendale for the improvements.
Btw, if both parties are willing then it can't be considered rape...

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Perhaps you have forgotten that the original site, and where construction first began for the Cardinals stadium was in Tempe. But then Skippy (Phoenix mayor) got involved and the FAA jumped in on his side. As I recall, the Bidwills arranged a development deal near that location also but not even close to the scale they will do in Glendale.

Btw, if both parties are willing then it can't be considered rape...

Yeah, they made a stupid call to take there ball and go home rather than work things out with the PTB in PhX and Tempe. It was all about the enormous profits that were to be made. They wanted the Lions share and the city of PHX used what leverage they had to nix the deal. The B's didn't want to share with the Reservation prefering to Rape them as well so...they had to go to the last option before leaving town. Look we saw the same Political BS in St. Louis from this owner. He tried to go where he got all of the benefits and had to share with no one there as well...he got run out of town. Bill B is the biggest welfare case in the NFL....that we know for sure. With out the NFLs shared revenue he would never have survived as an owner....wish it was so. They deserve the criticism IMO. They Suck.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they made a stupid call to take there ball and go home rather than work things out with the PTB in PhX and Tempe. It was all about the enormous profits that were to be made. They wanted the Lions share and the city of PHX used what leverage they had to nix the deal. The B's didn't want to share with the Reservation prefering to Rape them as well so...they had to go to the last option before leaving town. Look we saw the same Political BS in St. Louis from this owner. He tried to go where he got all of the benefits and had to share with no one there as well...he got run out of town. Bill B is the biggest welfare case in the NFL....that we know for sure. With out the NFLs shared revenue he would never have survived as an owner....wish it was so. They deserve the criticism IMO. They Suck.

Do you really blame them? They were promised a stadium when they moved here back in 88...it was part of why they came here. Then the local government politicos balked....

I just love how all the bad juju is thrown at the cardinals feet when we are dealing with politicians and governments.

Do they make their fair share of mistakes (and then some?) Yeah boy, no doubt they do, and mostly in football decisions. But they are overly and unfairly criticized for EVERY. LITTLE. THING. They donate a ton to charity, they chose NOT to have PSLs in the new stadium, put in $150 million from their coffers to build the damn thing along with taxes on non-residents and have completely altered the way they do business. Yes, they are horrid, ******* individuals who deserve no praise and only condemnation. Hoorah for you.

I wouldn't trust the politicians in these phoenix hamlets any further than Bill could throw them...they pulled the rug out from under them and it took them damn near 20 years to get what was promised when they arrived, all the while having to endure a cohabitation with ASU in horrid weather, with poor ticket revenue because of the environment, few ancillary revenue streams/low percentages such as parking, concessions, etc. They'd been lied to and forced to share nothing for close to two decades...and you expect them to Yessir their way into another Phx or Tempe dominated deal? Jeez. What are they, bad business people or good ones? Bad ones would have bent over for the politicians.

Burn them!

Reaction score
Yeah, they made a stupid call to take there ball and go home rather than work things out with the PTB in PhX and Tempe.
I don't have a clue what went on with St. Louis and the Cardinals relative to stadium business dealings.

It appears the same applies to you regarding what has occurred with the Cardinals and the stadium business dealings in Arizona.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't have a clue what went on with St. Louis and the Cardinals relative to stadium business dealings.

I do. It was fascinating stuff.

But unfortunately newspapers have now started charging people for searching and reading their archives so unless you want to spend $30-40 bucks you can't go back and read about it like I used to.