Ex-Cardinals VP Terry McDonough accuses Bidwill of cheating

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I just hate this whole franchise right now.

Total #BirdCity level ish going on right now. I just don't thin they make Bidwill sell unless they can find the racism or mysoginy. It has to be in there somewhere at this point..... It just has to be.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I can’t see the Cards losing a pick next year.
The others were violations of league rules of tampering or gaining a competitive advantage.
They’d have a hard time proving this and it’s just allegations by Wilks.

Even if they do want to fine the Cards, it won’t be until after the case is settled and that looks to not be done anytime soon. I doubt it’s concluded, sans a settlement, prior to next draft

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just hate this whole franchise right now.

Total #BirdCity level ish going on right now. I just don't thin they make Bidwill sell unless they can find the racism or mysoginy. It has to be in there somewhere at this point..... It just has to be.
#turdcity or #turdshitty

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can’t see the Cards losing a pick next year.
The others were violations of league rules of tampering or gaining a competitive advantage.
They’d have a hard time proving this and it’s just allegations by Wilks.

Even if they do want to fine the Cards, it won’t be until after the case is settled and that looks to not be done anytime soon. I doubt it’s concluded, sans a settlement, prior to next draft

If, if, if, and allegations of, of, of.

Wilks was not cross-examined, and that's why the arbitrator decided that it was not definite corroboration, although it would remain part of the depositions on the issue. As it stands, Bidwill knowing about the burner phones and not putting a stop to this contravention, as he claims, is an assumption by Wilks and not proven.

If the League following the report believes Bidwill was negligent in his duties, I can imagine a fine, perhaps a suspension.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy on with the morning show just now (Bickley and Marotta) said it isn't the type of thing that should result in high draft picks being taken from the team. It's 5 years removed, and it is nowhere near the level of Spygate or Deflategate. He even pointed out that Dan Snyder wasn't stripped of draft picks with all of the crap going on when he was in charge of the Redskins/Football Team/Commanders.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Guy on with the morning show just now (Bickley and Marotta) said it isn't the type of thing that should result in high draft picks being taken from the team. It's 5 years removed, and it is nowhere near the level of Spygate or Deflategate. He even pointed out that Dan Snyder wasn't stripped of draft picks with all of the crap going on when he was in charge of the Redskins/Football Team/Commanders.

If Florio who takes every opportunity to dig at the Cards doesn’t think there should/will be a draft pick penalty it probably means something. If a huge investigation goes down like it did with Snyder it would take well over a year for a final ruling.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Any chance the Cardinals lose a draft pick over this cheating?
I don’t think they lose a first but they could easily lose a third. The Commissioner could easily take this personally and set an example. Cheating to get around a penalty is generally considered a major offense, especially by an owner.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don’t think they lose a first but they could easily lose a third. The Commissioner could easily take this personally and set an example. Cheating to get around a penalty is generally considered a major offense, especially by an owner.

Example(s)?

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score

A 3rd round pick is a likely punishment. Sadly, few fans will pay enough attention to put heat on Bidwill. Enough to punish the team and diehard fans but not enough for casual fans to notice

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What doesn't make sense is that this was a team imposed suspension of Keim, albeit probably trying to avoid a league imposed punishment. I don't get why they would do that with the burner phones, not doubting they did but it is dumb as Hell.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Miami lost a first for blatant rules breaking then lying about it. The Houston pick is probably gone.
What NFL rule did Cards break? It was a self imposed punishment for Steve, not an NFL suspension. I highly doubt any high draft pick is in jeopardy, regardless of the overall optics. Could it happen? Yes...will it happen? I doubt it.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What NFL rule did Cards break? It was a self imposed punishment for Steve, not an NFL suspension. I highly doubt any high draft pick is in jeopardy, regardless of the overall optics. Could it happen? Yes...will it happen? I doubt it.

Additionally, these are allegations within an arbitration hearing and, if considered credible, would have to be separately reviewed and adjudicated by the League.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Looks like the NFL threw out the "burner" phone allegations. However the Cards were rightly slapped on the wrist for airing dirty laundry in public via a PR agency.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the NFL threw out the "burner" phone allegations.
Nope! From the article:
Mishkin found that the team did use burner phones, but he did not find in favor of McDonough's allegation that the Cardinals' actions prevented him from being hired as a general manager in the league. Though McDonough was a finalist for the San Francisco 49ers' GM job in 2017, he had no interviews for GM positions after that, Mishkin wrote.

However the Cards were rightly slapped on the wrist for airing dirty laundry in public via a PR agency.
It was pretty obvious at the time that the team went way too far in attacking McDonough for issues completely unrelated to the case. I'm amazed that the team statement was made "under the guidance of crisis communications firm CounterPoint Strategies". Utter incompetence!

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Nope! From the article:

It was pretty obvious at the time that the team went way too far in attacking McDonough for issues completely unrelated to the case. I'm amazed that the team statement was made "under the guidance of crisis communications firm CounterPoint Strategies". Utter incompetence!
Thanks Dave's that's what I get for speed reading an article!

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I’m sure they tried to suggest against it, but someone insisted it be done his way.