Betting

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Speaking of the Cardinals, tough spread this week. They are 3 point favorites.

SF has been a home dog in every game so far this year. Beat 4 of 6 of them. The two losses were to Indy and Giants.........both used 2 4th QTR TDs to cover. This is the slimmest margin SF has had to cover all year. 3.

Both games went to OT last year.........on the fence on this one big time.

Im not touching it.

cards 24-7-365

Registered
Reaction score
If you are a money line player who likes favorites, you must be having a great year as "favorites" are 132-44 straight up (SU) this year in the NFL. :thumbup:

Conversely, it has been very tough year for spread players who like the under dogs as the favorites are 98-72-6 against the spread (ATS) this year in the NFL. Historically, NFL underdogs cover the spread more often than not. :shrug:

So if you like to play trends, take the Cards -3 against the worst pass defense in the league. Still awfully tough to back the Cards on the road IMO.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
cards 24-7-365 said:
If you are a money line player who likes favorites, you must be having a great year as "favorites" are 132-44 straight up (SU) this year in the NFL. :thumbup:

Conversely, it has been very tough year for spread players who like the under dogs as the favorites are 98-72-6 against the spread (ATS) this year in the NFL. Historically, NFL underdogs cover the spread more often than not. :shrug:

So if you like to play trends, take the Cards -3 against the worst pass defense in the league. Still awfully tough to back the Cards on the road IMO.

Good info... I am what is known as a "chalk" better (lay the points). I like the favorites so your info speaks well for me as I have had a pretty good year so far.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I see. So you just pick the winners straight up, but risk more than you'll win.

I may start doing that next week.

Pariah, betting on football, especially pro football, is for suckers. Stay away from it.

You might think that its a 50/50 proposition, but Vegas is so smart, and so far ahead of the average schmuck bettor, that they actually set the lines to encourage betting on the side they think is going to lose.

I'm not trying to be a know it all man, this is just one cardinal fan to another.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
Pariah, betting on football, especially pro football, is for suckers. Stay away from it.

You might think that its a 50/50 proposition, but Vegas is so smart, and so far ahead of the average schmuck bettor, that they actually set the lines to encourage betting on the side they think is going to lose.

I'm not trying to be a know it all man, this is just one cardinal fan to another.

:thumbup:

Stay with college, it's still the easier of the two.

You can make money if you really study the teams and bet on the side of the big powers at home.

They cover more than not even with huge spreads but the NFL betting is IMO for suckers.

The key to any betting, on almost anything is that to remember one thing I was told a long long time ago.

If you feel yourself getting excited by betting you have already lost. The people that make money at it don't get much of a thrill win or lose. The emotional high type bettors better stick to low amounts or doom will result.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me, I'm no high roller. But,. I will stick with betting the NFL. I'm doing pretty good there so far. I don't follow college like I do the NFL, so I'm much more in my element there.

Thanks, though, moms. ;)

Last edited:

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Pariah, SWD, or whoever...

I placed a 30.00 bet on Minnesota to beat Detroit against the spread (Vegas is giving Detroit 2.5)

What I don't understand is I thought I was betting on Minny to cover the spread and yet the payoff is 28.57.

Same thing happened with the bet I placed on Tampa. Vegas gave 3.5 to the Saints, I thought I was betting on the spread and yet the payoff stated 26.09.

Any idea what gives???

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HarleyRider said:
Pariah, SWD, or whoever...

I placed a 30.00 bet on Minnesota to beat Detroit against the spread (Vegas is giving Detroit 2.5)

What I don't understand is I thought I was betting on Minny to cover the spread and yet the payoff is 28.57.

Same thing happened with the bet I placed on Tampa. Vegas gave 3.5 to the Saints, I thought I was betting on the spread and yet the payoff stated 26.09.

Any idea what gives???
The Web sites make their money by taking a portion of the winnings. Pretty standard I've found.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Pariah said:
The Web sites make their money by taking a portion of the winnings. Pretty standard I've found.

Thank you. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't betting on the money line without knowing.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Its standard practice. Its called Vigorice or Vigoridge, depends who you talk to. In a perfect world for the bookie, he would have even amount of bets on both teams, this would make him a winner no matter who wins the game. The site I bet on, a $10 bet would win you $9.09.....If I bet 1 way, and you bet the other way, no matter who wins, the bookie wins .91. now that doesn't sound like much, but most bookies deal with thousands each week.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pariah, Thanks for that UCLA +21 tip LOL

That was the first and last college game I will ever bet on. That game just reinforced what a joke college football is. Look at the championship game with texas LOL

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Pariah, Thanks for that UCLA +21 tip LOL

That was the first and last college game I will ever bet on. That game just reinforced what a joke college football is. Look at the championship game with texas LOL
I bet them both :eek:--The USC game more heavily than the Texas game. I'm with you, college sucks.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
I'm up this season in my 13 person pick 'em pool - that's only way i bet pro football.
Maybe the superbowl if some drunk fool gives me crazy odds or points.
I don't touch college - the minor league is a circus of poor tackling and gimmick plays.
BTW - what's USC/UCLA spread?

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never gamble with money you can't afford to lose (unless you bet on a sure thing).

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
nm132 said:
Never gamble with money you can't afford to lose (unless you bet on a sure thing).

Never gamble on anything that involves human beings.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never gamble on space monkey racing when the French are involved.

cards 24-7-365

Registered
Reaction score
cards 24-7-365 said:

Favorites continue to roll this week so far as they go 11-4 ATS and 13-2 SU. That makes them 109-76-6 ATS and 155-46 SU on the year.

The Dogs have fared much better on MNF going 6-6 ATS. However, if you take away the Colts then the Dog is 6-3 ATS on MNF this year. I think I'll take the Iggles in the cold +4 at home.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won again in the NFL this week with SEA and NE plays, making up for my ill-advised foray into college football wagering (fortunately, I wagered more on the NFL games than the college games).

This week I'm placing these bets:

~Taking IND (-8.)over JAX
~Taking CIN (-12.5) over CLE and taking the over (43) in this game
~Taking the money line with KC (+120) to beat DAL

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
justAndy said:
won the pool AGAIN.
Shut out for 9 weeks, then 3 out of the last 4.
Crazy...
You need to let your grandparents win once in a while, Andy.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
I don't have any grandparents - no problem - they all had long lives.
I play a Yahoo pool with some neighbors and their coworkers

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I won again in the NFL this week with SEA and NE plays, making up for my ill-advised foray into college football wagering (fortunately, I wagered more on the NFL games than the college games).

This week I'm placing these bets:

~Taking IND (-8.)over JAX PUSH
~Taking CIN (-12.5) LOST over CLE and taking the over (43) in this game PUSH
~Taking the money line with KC (+120) to beat DAL LOST
Boy, Vegas knows what it's doing. 2 pushes and the KC/DAL game comes down to the last seconds, and if not for a defensive penalty KC would have won. Needless to say, not a great week for me.

BTW, Dallas' last offensive play at the goalline was a fantastic example of good playcalling. Hope Denny watches that game.

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy cow! Don't chalk that KC game up as loss, yet. Looks like they'll go into OT barring a missed FG.