mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kirwan's Mock

1st Rd
Pick No.1
Carolina
PATRICK PETERSON DB LSU
The Panthers really need to move down without another pick until No. 65. Peterson is a very talented defender with Pro Bowl potential and a safe pick, but unless the Panthers get a strong commitment to a quarterback (Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert), can they afford to take a DB? In my first mock draft the pick here was Da'Quan Bowers, but medical issues have entered the equation.

Pick No.2
Denver
MARCELL DAREUS DT Alabama
John Fox must fix his inherited defense, plus he's converting from a 3-4 to a 4-3. At 6-foot-3 and 319 pounds, with a 4.95-second 40 at the combine, Dareus is emerging as another safe pick at the top of the draft. Nick Fairley was the pick here in my first mock, but he has a few issues, pushing him slightly down the board.

Pick No.3
Buffalo
DA'QUAN BOWERS DE Clemson
Bowers was unavailable at this pick in my first mock, but issues about his knee will cause some concern until he works out for teams. Bowers had 15.5 sacks last year and Buffalo might feel Ryan Fitzpatrick is more than a one-year answer at quarterback.

Pick No.4
Cincinnatti
CAM NEWTON QB Auburn
The Bengals can say what they want publicly, but there is a very good chance Carson Palmer could have thrown his last pass as a Bengal. Newton didn't impress at the combine but was better at his pro day. His private workout will be a big factor in the final decision. Gabbert has yet to work out, but when he does things could change at this spot.

Pick No.5
AZ
BLAINE GABBERT QB Missouri
The Cardinals need a quarterback even though they drafted one last year (John Skelton) and picked up another one as an undrafted free agent (Max Hall). Von Miller was the pick in my first mock but he just became a plaintiff in the labor dispute and that could be a factor with his selection.

Pick No.6
Cleveland
A.J. GREEN WR Georgia
Green, who was the pick here in my first mock, is the best playmaking receiver in the draft, and Colt McCoy needs weapons. The Browns might be tempted by Miller if he slides down, but they are returning to a 4-3 scheme and Miller is a better fit in a 3-4.

Pick No.7
San Francisco
VON MILLER CB Texas A&M
Miller had 88 plays behind the line of scrimmage in his college career. He ran an impressive 4.47 40 at the combine and a spectacular 4.08 short shuttle at 246 pounds. He would fit very well in Vic Fangio's 3-4 hybrid defense.

Pick No.8
Tennessee
NICK FAIRLEY DT Auburn
The rumors about Fairley's body lacking definition and possibly being a one-year wonder might cause him to drop slightly in the draft but not much farther than here. He is an outstanding 3-technique defensive tackle with quickness and production in his senior season. Dareus was here in my first mock, but he's moving up draft boards.

Pick No.9
Dallas
PRINCE AMUKAMARA CB Nebraska
Dallas could take an offensive tackle or a defensive end at this spot, and there will be players with top-10 grades when the Cowboys select. Amukamara ran under 4.4 on some watches in Indy and Rob Ryan needs what his brother has in New York -- two cover corners. In my first mock, DE Cameron Jordan landed here.

Pick No.10
Washington
J.J. WATT DE Wisconsin
Watt is moving up draft boards since the combine. He could be the best fit for a 3-4 defensive end in this draft, and the Redskins need help on defense. The problem is they also need a quarterback, receiver, and help at many other positions. In my first mock it was WR Julio Jones here, but until teams are sure about his foot he could drop slightly.

Pick No.11
Houston
CAMERON JORDAN DE Cal
Jordan is stout enough to be a two-gap player and quick enough to penetrate. If the top two corners are off the board then the Texans could take the defensive end and circle back later for a corner. I watched a number of Jordan's games this week and he is active for a guy that measured 6-foot-4, weighed 287 pounds, and ran a 4.73 40. In my first mock it was Amukamara at this spot, but he's off the board this time.

Pick No.12
Minnesota
TYRON SMITH OT USC
Smith jumped to the head of the class for some teams when he weighed in at more than 300 pounds and had 29 reps on the bench press to go along with his game tapes. The Vikings need a quarterback in the worst way, but I don't think they reach for one here. It's too bad there are issues surrounding Ryan Mallett because his arm and Adrian Peterson behind him would be an interesting backfield. In my first mock it was OT Nate Solder here, and he has to garner some consideration.

Pick No.13
Detroit
NATE SOLDER OT Colorado
The Lions must protect Matt Stafford's blind side for the next 10 years and Solder has the skills to do just that. The Lions could grab a corner in the next round. Tyron Smith went here in my first mock.

Pick No.14
The St Louis Rams
JULIO JONES WR Alabama
The Rams need a big-time receiver for Sam Bradford to throw to, especially since they like Bradford throwing the ball close to 40 times a game. Jones is big and fast and ran under 4.4 with a broken bone in his foot. Jones would help the Rams' running game, too, with the way he blocks.

Pick No.15
Miami
MARK INGRAM RB Alabama
This has been a consistent selection for over a month now by anyone talking mock drafts, which is probably the reason they take a back here. Ingram improved his 40 time at his pro day and is a solid runner.

Pick No.16
Jacksonville
RYAN KERRIGAN DE Purdue
Kerrigan, who also landed here in my first mock, plays with the high motor Jack Del Rio likes to coach. He ran a 4.76 forty at 263 pounds and he made more than 90 plays behind the line of scrimmage in college. Put on his tapes and look at the 14 forced fumbles he caused at Purdue. Pretty impressive.

Pick No.17
N.E.
ANTHONY CASTONZO OT Boston College
The Patriots have two picks in the first round and if guys like Watt (the pick here in my first mock) and Kerrigan are gone they could take an offensive tackle at this spot. DE/OLB Robert Quinn is still on the board but a brain tumor still has to be discussed even though he played with it throughout college. Castonzo is versatile and has 54 college starts.

Pick No.18
S.D.
ROBERT QUINN DE North Carolina
The Chargers play a hybrid defense and Quinn has the ability to play in that scheme. At 6-4 and 265 pounds, he ran a 4.67 40 at the combine. He was ineligible last year but had 11 sacks in 2009. In my first mock, the Chargers took the same type of player, Aldon Smith, but Quinn was off the board.

Pick No.19
NY Giants
GABE CARIMI OT Wisconsin
The Giants have questions at both tackle spots and in the longterm they need younger players up front. Carimi played left tackle in college and might be a right tackle in the NFL. Castonzo was the pick here in my first mock, but he's off the board this time.

Pick No.20
ALDON SMITH DE Missouri
T.B. Bucs
The Bucs need pass-rush help and they prefer speed over size in their defense. Smith isn't Simeon Rice, who played the position in the great Tampa defenses, but he has skills to rush the passer. He ran a 4.75 40 at 6-4 and 263 pounds, and with 46 plays behind the line of scrimmage in two seasons he fits the bill for now.

Pick No.21
Kansas City
PHIL TAYLOR DT Baylor
Taylor is a powerful man with quickness. At 6-3 and 334 pounds, he is a nose tackle in the Chiefs' 3-4. His arms are a bit short for the two-gap scheme but he can bull rush and be a force inside. He also was the pick here in my first mock.

Pick No.22
Indianapolis
MIKE POUNCEY C/G Florida
The Colts need line help now and an eventual replacement for center Jeff Saturday. Pouncey has suggested he can play tackle as well and at 6-5 he probably can do just that if need be. In my first mock it was Carimi here, but he's off the board.

Pick No.23
Philadelphia
DEREK SHERROD OT Mississippi State
There has been a run on tackles with four already gone. With Howard Mudd coaching the line in Philly, he can get Sherrod ready. The Eagles could look long and hard at a corner at this spot. In my first mock I had them taking CB Jimmy Smith.

Pick No.24
CAM HEYWARD DE Ohio State
New Orleans
Heyward, the son of former Saints running back Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, is a versatile and can play inside or out, which sets up well in Greg Williams' defense. Heyward has 33 plays behind the line of scrimmage in his last 25 games.

Pick No.25
Seattle
JIMMY SMITH CB Colorado
Smith was off the board in my first mock, but the big corner is there this time. He is nasty, and at 6-2 and 211 pounds with a 4.42 40, he fits into Seattle's scheme. Jake Locker is still on the board but his film study could lead the Seahawks away from the local star.

Pick No.26
Baltimore
TORREY SMITH WR Maryland
The Ravens need a speed receiver and a young one. Smith is a vertical threat and would open up the underneath routes for Anquan Boldin. Smith has return skills and is a solid person. He went here in my first mock.

Pick No.27
BRANDON HARRIS CB Miami
Atlanta
The Falcons' secondary was better last year with the addition of Dunta Robinson, but they need a better nickel and dime package and Harris is the best CB left on the board. They could come back later for a wide receiver. I had WR Jon Baldwin going here in my first mock, but he has moved down draft boards.

Pick No.28
N.E.
MUHAMMAD WILKERSON DE Temple
At 6-4 and 315 pounds with 35-inch arms, Wilkerson fits the Patriot profile for a front-three player. He ran a 4.99-second 40 at the combine, and even though he is a bit raw coming out of Temple there is a lot to work with here. The Patriots select again in five picks.

Pick No.29
Chicago
AARON WILLIAMS CB Texas
The Bears know there is some depth late in the first round at corner and get a shot at a smooth athlete. Williams ran a slow 40 at the combine and needs to run faster at some point. He'll have a chance at Texas' pro day on March 28.

Pick No.30
NY Jets
JUSTIN HOUSTON OLB Georgia
A big outside backer with pass rush skills, Houston had 10 sacks last season and ran a 4.68 40 at 270 pounds. He has similar traits to some of the Ravens' outside linebackers Rex Ryan coached when he worked there.

Pick No.31
Pittsburgh
DANNY WATKINS G/C Baylor
After interviewing Watkins this week he just sounded like a classic Steeler pick -- mature, tough, and very focused. They might like a corner in this spot but two came off the board in the last four picks.

Pick No.32
G.B. Packers
ADRIAN CLAYBORN DE Iowa
Clayborn's production fell off in 2010 but he's still a very solid player that helps a front that could see Cullen Jenkins gone in free agency and an aging Ryan Pickett holding things together

-Just my take,the Cards should take the best available at #5(and thats not going to be a QB). Draft either Peterson,Bowers,Miller or Dareus and try to plug in at QB thru FA(whenever that's going to be).
-Robert Quinn falling to #18? Hmmm...i don't think so.
-I think the rest is pretty rational...but it seems to me that the QB's are
predictably getting overhyped as draft day gets closer.
-One of these top defensive players(DE/LB's) is going to fall into a decent team's hands due to QB's going higher then they should IMO......Aldon Smith?
-I think the Rams entire draft shifts if Julio Jones is gone at #14. IMO they look to trade down with a team in love with Mark Ingram(that wants to leapfrog Miami)......unless there's an early run on QB's and a quality DE/LB falls and they'll stay put.

2nd Rd
33. New England Patriots, Akeem Akers, OLB, UCLA

34. Buffalo Bills, Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas

35. Cincinnati Bengals, Jon Baldwin, WR, Pittsburgh

36. Denver Broncos, Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois

37. Cleveland Browns, Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa

38. Arizona Cardinals, Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina

39. Tennessee Titans, Jake Locker, QB, Washington

40. Dallas Cowboys, Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois

41. Washington Redskins, Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

42. Houston Texans, Curtis Brown, CB, Texas

43. Minnesota Vikings, Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

44. Detroit Lions, Davon House, CB, New Mexico

45. San Francisco 49ers, Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon St

46. Denver Broncos, Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

47. The St. Louis Rams, Jurrell Casey, DT, USC

48. Oakland Raiders, Ben Ijalana, OG, Villanova

49. Jacksonville Jaguars, Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky

50. San Diego Chargers, James Carpenter, OT, Alabama

51. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Rahim Moore, S, UCLA

52. New York Giants, Marvin Austin, DT North, Carolina

53. Indianapolis Colts, Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

54. Philadelphia Eagles, Brandon Burton, CB, Utah

55. Kansas City Chiefs, Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami

56. New Orleans Saints, DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson

57. Seattle Seahawks, Marcus Cannon, OT, TCU

58. Baltimore Ravens, Johnny Patrick, CB, Louisville

59. Atlanta Falcons, Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh

60. New England Patriots, Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma

61. San Diego Chargers, Jerrel Jernigan, WR, Troy State

62. Chicago Bears, Titus Young, WR, Boise State

63. Pittsburgh Steelers, Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida

64. Green Bay Packers, Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona
-For AZ Cards fans,i like OLB Bruce Carter alot in this mock. I haven't seen him this high but IMO he's going to be solid.
-I don't think N.E. picks 1st on day two....they'll likely be moving all around in this draft. I could see Washington trading up to grab a QB like Mallet at #33.
-No way Corey Liuget falls into the 2nd rd.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...-a-look-at-the-first-two-rounds?module=HP_cp2

Cheers to hoping we get some football this year. :cheers:

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
I hate the Clayborne pick. Even if you say that DE is a need which I'm not sure it is with Neal, Wilson, Wynn. The Packers might still get Johny Jolly back (who was better than Cullen Jenkins 2 years ago). I Would rather pick up Drake Nevis in Round 2 who's a better player.

Packers would probably go Baldwin in round 1 considering Driver's age and James Jones' status.

OP
OP
mojorizen7

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hate the Clayborne pick. Even if you say that DE is a need which I'm not sure it is with Neal, Wilson, Wynn. The Packers might still get Johny Jolly back (who was better than Cullen Jenkins 2 years ago). I Would rather pick up Drake Nevis in Round 2 who's a better player.

Packers would probably go Baldwin in round 1 considering Driver's age and James Jones' status.
I don't think Clayborn falls to you guys anyway. OG/T Danny Watkins would be a good pick for GB there IMO.

Or Jimmy Smith at CB. Ya'll are gonna have to replace the great Charles Woodson sooner rather than later right?

Last edited:

ARodg

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think Clayborn falls to you guys anyway. OG/T Danny Watkins would be a good pick for GB there IMO.

Or Jimmy Smith at CB. Ya'll are gonna have to replace the great Charles Woodson sooner rather than later right?

At this point Watkins is probably #2 on my list behind Carimi. Daryn Colledge really sucks.

At this point Woodson is more OLB/S than he is CB. He'll still cover slot recievers and can still get it up for a deep route every once in a while but yes another CB is needed.

Tramon Williams and Sam Shields are excellent but the Packers base defense is the Nickel, and Jarret Bush sucks worse than Colledge

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Why would teams pass on a great talent like Miller because he*gasp* sides with players? Stupid logic... And if Miller falls to Whiners, teams in NFC WEST are Effed with him and Willis...

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I still don't buy the Gabbert predictions. Graves, and to a lesser extent Whis, can't miss on this pick. If they do, it will make three top ten busts in the last six years for Graves. Those are lose your job kind of numbers. I think Gabbert is too risky of a pick this year, regardless of the putrid QB situation.

In this scenario, I'd probably take Miller in the first and take a chance on Kaepernick in the second. Miller isn't a sure thing, but I think he has less bust potential than Gabbert.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd take a defensive player in the first and either Orton or Palmer with our second (probably) or third (hopefully). Miller seems like the pick, IF he's still available, and if we get him, I'd hope for a TE with whatever pick we didn't trade for a QB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose