2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I'm a diehard Cardinals fan and a season ticket holder who goes to all of the games. Just not good optics. Several red flags and he hasn't even signed his rookie contract yet or done anything in the league.

He's going to make so many millions with endorsements and contracts, etc. Sign the standard licensing deal and move on already. Sign your rookie deal and let's go !! Fans want his jersey, and HE is the reason they cannot get one.

I was really hoping we'd get a great trade down offer and still get Rome Odunze. He seems more like a Gannon/Ossenfort guy than MHJ does, IMHO. Talented and humble but hungry and eager to prove himself at the next level. Not some silver spoon prima donna WR who treats everything like a business and has a helicopter dad guiding him at every step. Hopefully he is better on the field than he has been off the field so far.
We knew there would be at least one...

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont really care about the Fanatics stuff --

but clearly:

MHJ and his dad have their own way of doing things

i think the potential is there for a much longer than average wait for him to sign his rookie deal -- I wouldnt be surprised to see him as the last rookie signed

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Because I'm a diehard Cardinals fan and a season ticket holder who goes to all of the games. Just not good optics. Several red flags and he hasn't even signed his rookie contract yet or done anything in the league.

He's going to make so many millions with endorsements and contracts, etc. Sign the standard licensing deal and move on already. Sign your rookie deal and let's go !! Fans want his jersey, and HE is the reason they cannot get one.

I was really hoping we'd get a great trade down offer and still get Rome Odunze. He seems more like a Gannon/Ossenfort guy than MHJ does, IMHO. Talented and humble but hungry and eager to prove himself at the next level. Not some silver spoon prima donna WR who treats everything like a business and has a helicopter dad guiding him at every step. Hopefully he is better on the field than he has been off the field so far.
B, I couldn't disagree more. he has given no indication of being anything close to what you're accusing him of. A silver spoon prima donna? What makes you so sure Odunze is so high character? What does a "Gannon/Ossenfort guy" even mean? The heck have either of them done other than say the right thing to start envisioning who "fits" with their guidelines in player selections? I also see in Marv a talented and humble player eager to prove himself at the next level. If this was the Cardinals he had an issue with, okay then, but what do we care what the heck he does with some stinking apparel company? When that ball kicks off in Buffalo, this will be long forgotten.

Bottom line is you tow a dangerous line when you start worrying about rich people's problems. It then gets too easy to forget why sports exist in the first place. MHJ is one of ours and I'm excited to see him help us win games. Like Solar said, I just want a jersey and I'll get when it becomes available. No biggie. Far as I'm concerned, Fanatics is the problem here. Just my opinion bro.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B, I couldn't disagree more. he has given no indication of being anything close to what you're accusing him of. A silver spoon prima donna? What makes you so sure Odunze is so high character? What does a "Gannon/Ossenfort guy" even mean? The heck have either of them done other than say the right thing to start envisioning who "fits" with their guidelines in player selections? I also see in Marv a talented and humble player eager to prove himself at the next level. If this was the Cardinals he had an issue with, okay then, but what do we care what the heck he does with some stinking apparel company? When that ball kicks off in Buffalo, this will be long forgotten.

Bottom line is you tow a dangerous line when you start worrying about rich people's problems. It then gets too easy to forget why sports exist in the first place. MHJ is one of ours and I'm excited to see him help us win games. Like Solar said, I just want a jersey. Far as I'm concerned, Fanatics is the problem here. Just my opinion bro.
I hope this is not indicative of anything, but you never know. Not a fan of early speed bumps, especially when everyone has been telling us how smooth things will go with his father guiding him (not always the case). I want the best for him, and he is fighting history to prove himself as a great player in the league. No son has ever truly followed in his father's footsteps (so far) in this league.

I did find it rather laughable that someone thought things would go smoother since he came from money. Often it is just the opposite. Rich people want more wealth, not less.

Maybe I just got caught up in the pre-draft story of Odunze. Growing up working on a family farm, idolizing his grandpa, etc. Great story. I think he will be an amazing pro and it wouldn't surprise me at all, when all of the dust settles, if he doesn't turn out to be the best of the WRs chosen top 3 this draft.

Still, as a Cards' fan I've got to cheer on MHJ and even Kyler as opposed to the guys I wish we had drafted instead of either of them. :)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope this is not indicative of anything, but you never know. Not a fan of early speed bumps, especially when everyone has been telling us how smooth things will go with his father guiding him (not always the case). I want the best for him, and he is fighting history to prove himself as a great player in the league. No son has ever truly followed in his father's footsteps (so far) in this league.

I did find it rather laughable that someone thought things would go smoother since he came from money. Often it is just the opposite. Rich people want more wealth, not less.

Maybe I just got caught up in the pre-draft story of Odunze. Growing up working on a family farm, idolizing his grandpa, etc. Great story. I think he will be an amazing pro and it wouldn't surprise me at all, when all of the dust settles, if he doesn't turn out to be the best of the WRs chosen top 3 this draft.

Still, as a Cards' fan I've got to cheer on MHJ and even Kyler as opposed to the guys I wish we had drafted instead of either of them. :)
FAIR ENOUGH!!!! :thumbup:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

This isn't in the least bit a speed bump.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For real. Harrison senior is now a slumlord in philly, there's video of him menacing a tenet with a baseball bat. When he was a player he and a friend beat up some kids pestering him for an autograph.
And he probably killed a guy

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree with you on the surface. I did want them to draft MHJ, however his antics leading up to OTA’s has been less than desirable. First the combine, then pro day and now the licensing deal. I’ve said it in a previous thread, he’s trending in wrong direction off the field. I also get the diva vibe from him (or maybe it’s just his dad driving that bus). I hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some hiccup in the contract talks.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with you on the surface. I did want them to draft MHJ, however his antics leading up to OTA’s has been less than desirable. First the combine, then pro day and now the licensing deal. I’ve said it in a previous thread, he’s trending in wrong direction off the field. I also get the diva vibe from him (or maybe it’s just his dad driving that bus). I hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some hiccup in the contract talks.
You want him to shut up & catch?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
At the risk of getting political at all, I support the lower individuals on the totem poles getting money, and standing up for themselves. One needs to stand up for themselves and make cash. Players should maximize their likeness.

The world is dealing with the largest discrepancy of resources ever.

Simultaneously, I worry about a dad turning into LaVar Ball. Someone exploiting his sons for money instead of growth, or the development of their team.

I'm a Cardinals fan. @Brian in Mesa wants to see us win, like I do. It's fine if you want to see the business grow and help young men get a share in the process. But, it's not terrible to hope your team wins, and grows within this framework.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Man all i heard is “shut up and catch”. God forbid these players want something better for themselves since their career is so short.
Man, and god forbid some of us see this as life changing money we'd pretty much die for.

Rookie undrafted free agents sign contracts for a league minimum years, and those salaries will be $795,000, $960,000, and $1.075 million over the next three.

The Cardinals just paid Xavier Weaver $255,000 guaranteed. A guy who may never see an NFL snap. That will immediately buy him a house and a car. I slept on an air mattress in my early 20s on the floor of a friend's place after getting an academic scholarship to ASU and graduating in 4 years.

I'm playing a very tiny violin for the vast majority of these players, and I used to be friends with many. I will work many years to make $255,000 in any job, and I'm now 37. My UDFA buddy from ten years ago has two cars, a home, and two jet skis from his time on the practice squad.

It's borderline offensive to make it sound like anyone just wants anyone to "shut up and catch" when it's more like "holy crap, count your blessings."

Last edited:

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
Didn't Micheal Jordan have a similar situation with merch/shoes when he came out? It has been a long time so the details excape me.

Thinking this is nothing to be concerned about. Most reports suggest he is an extremely hard worker not resting on his family name.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Cardinals just paid Xavier Weaver $255,000 guaranteed. A guy who may never see an NFL snap. That will immediately buy him a house and a car.
It won’t tho. At least not here. He racked up expenses preparing for the draft and will pay another quarter of that in taxes (probably).

If he makes a roster it’s a different story, but $250k at age 23 can only change your life in bad ways. It’s not generational wealth.

FWIW, BiM sounds like he’s slandering MHJ’s character because BiM doesn’t want to wait longer to buy a crappy jersey from Fanatics. Thats a disconnect for me. I don’t know why it’s hard for some fans to stay out of other players’ business.

The median salary in AZ is $55k per year. Most of these guys have to make whatever money they earn now last the rest of their lives. I don’t begrudge them any attempt to get an extra dollar.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Man, and god forbid some of us see this as life changing money we'd pretty much die for.

Rookie undrafted free agents sign contracts for a league minimum years, and those salaries will be $795,000, $960,000, and $1.075 million over the next three.

The Cardinals just paid Xavier Weaver $255,000 guaranteed. A guy who may never see an NFL snap. That will immediately buy him a house and a car. I slept on an air mattress in my early 20s on the floor of a friend's place after getting an academic scholarship to ASU and graduating in 4 years.

I'm playing a very tiny violin for the vast majority of these players, and I used to be friends with many. I will work many years to make $255,000 in any job, and I'm now 37. My UDFA buddy from ten years ago has two cars, a home, and two jet skis from his time on the practice squad.

It's borderline offensive to make it sound like anyone just wants anyone to "shut up and catch" when it's more like "holy crap, count your blessings."

Not a sound plan... IMO. ;)

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It won’t tho. At least not here. He racked up expenses preparing for the draft and will pay another quarter of that in taxes (probably).

If he makes a roster it’s a different story, but $250k at age 23 can only change your life in bad ways. It’s not generational wealth.

FWIW, BiM sounds like he’s slandering MHJ’s character because BiM doesn’t want to wait longer to buy a crappy jersey from Fanatics. Thats a disconnect for me. I don’t know why it’s hard for some fans to stay out of other players’ business.

The median salary in AZ is $55k per year. Most of these guys have to make whatever money they earn now last the rest of their lives. I don’t begrudge them any attempt to get an extra dollar.
It's weird to say that $250k at age 23 can only change your life in bad ways while advocating for others to get paid more right now while they can. Even with taxes taken out, it's a ton of money and can set him up for a paid-off car and renting a place for years without having to lift a finger at work.

I didn't make a total of $250k in my 20s. Sure would have been nice to have instead of not.

I think I understand where BIM is coming from though, that every single thing will become a microtransaction with MHJ and his dad will always be at the forefront of every situation. It's a worry that they could become like the situation with LaVar Ball and his kids... who got paid a lot, and fine for them, but as a fan of the teams that picked them... woof.