Bettcher Interview

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Wolf and Calvisi recently conducted a lengthy interview with Cardinals' DC James Bettcher. Here are my takeaways:

* Bettcher's passion is clear. He takes a highly detailed approach (writes copious notes on a daily basis). Very articulate, a la Steve Keim.
* Wolf kind of fawned over him and really didn't ask any tough questions like why the defense gave up so many scores on the first possession of the second half---or why---Bettcher thought he could defend Drew Brees and Sean Payton's offense with a steady diet of soft zone coverages.
* Wolf kept gushing about the Cardinals' being the #2 defense and #1 in sacks---yet those of us who watched every game know how frequently disappointing the defense was, especially in close games. We also know that in the games that mattered the most in November and early December, the Cardinals' pass rush was stale and unproductive. And how, unlike last year, the defense didn't close out close games with key drive-stopping sacks.
* Bettcher's player assessments, imo, were very revealing (and hinted toward which players will be re-signed).
* Chandler Jones---Bettch said that Jones' presence created one on one rush opportunities for the rest of the defensive line. When Jones was getting chipped and double teamed they moves him inside on occasion. Said that in practice Jones made a couple of stunning interceptions when dropped back into coverage. Said "this is why i love BA" when Wolf mentioned how BA has already told the media that Jones will be f-tagged at the very least.
* Markus Golden---Bettch said that Golden did what the coaches hope most of all 2nd year players which is to make a big jump to the next level. Bettch credited LB coach Bob Sanders for helping to develop Golden's game. (Bettch's reference to Sanders was his only reference to any of his assistants).
* Tony Jefferson---Bettch didn't elaborate on Jefferson's performance other that to say twice that he was one of the team's defensive MVPs and that he had a great year.
* Calais Campbell---same. Bettch acknowledged his impressive season but did not expound further.
* D.J. Swearinger---conversely Bettch had numerous things to say about Swearinger---how impressed he was with how good a communicator he became for the secondary and how no one studied more tape.
* Kevin Minter---got the same kind of rave review as Swearinger---how Minter did an outstanding job of quarterbacking the defense.
* Tyrann Mathieu---removed all doubt about where HB will play next year: "in the box, blitzing, forcing the run and covering TEs and slot WRs." Said that HB will be totally dedicated to getting back to the player he was before the injury and that all he ever wants to do is make a big contribution.
* Justin Bethel---feels like he may have found his niche as nickel CB.
* Josh Mauro---loves his versatility and how hard he plays the game. Fits their aggressive style.
* Robert Nkemdiche---said that he needed to learn how to budget his time on a daily basis, so as to become a pro.
* Olsen Pierre and Xavier Williams---said they were kept all year because they are very promising young players they did not want to lose.
* Tyvon Branch---said how much he appreciated how Branch and HB tried to play injured.
* Cory Peters---likes his versatility, but didn't say much more than that.
* Deone Bucannon---said that of all the players on the defense, he thinks Deone will have the biggest year next year.
* Patrick Peterson---said that determining the #1 matchup in coverage for Pat P. was the first order of business each week.

If I were to guess---based on Bettcher's comments what the off-season is going to look like, I would guess that there will be quite a push to re-sign Swearinger and Minter...and that Jones will likely be tagged for the year.

I think re-sgning Swearinger is smart because he can play both safety spots, whereas Jefferson is mostly a SS and is not as good in space as DJ. I think they would love to keep Jefferson too---but the speculation is that he is looking at $7-8M a year, which on top of HB's salary may be too expensive. However---with this year deep and talented safety crop in the draft, Jefferson might not get $7-8M, which may bring him back into the Cardinals' price range.

As for Minter---I get the communication thing---but i thought Sio Moore looked much more athletic and quick on his feet---and no Cardinal ILB has defensed Russell Wilson better. Moore is better in coverage too. If Minter is re-signed, hopefully they will sub in a nickel LB. keeping him on the field all three downs was a mistake, as Minter had a very difficult time covering RBs. Plus, there are several very good ILB prospects in this year's draft.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Betcher took over this defense very young, was he ready for it probably not but he jumped right in the deep end head first. Some people here will never be happy.

I wasn't disappointed in this defense at all this year. Our biggest problem was our offense and special teams especially early. O line had a ton of injuries our great WR core just disappeared there was no creativity in our play calling at all we turned the ball over like crazy.

I love the direction this defense is going especially if you can add a big time player like a Hooker, Adams or Thomas in the draft and hopefully RK will come around cause lord knows the talent is there.

By the way I really like what Swearinger brings to this team.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question posed in the first interview was "If our various defensive metrics were so stellar, why did the defense give up so many points?"

I think the devil lurked in 3rd down conversions (for some reason, we had problems preventing opponents from moving the chains).

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Betcher took over this defense very young, was he ready for it probably not but he jumped right in the deep end head first. Some people here will never be happy.

I wasn't disappointed in this defense at all this year. Our biggest problem was our offense and special teams especially early. O line had a ton of injuries our great WR core just disappeared there was no creativity in our play calling at all we turned the ball over like crazy.

I love the direction this defense is going especially if you can add a big time player like a Hooker, Adams or Thomas in the draft and hopefully RK will come around cause lord knows the talent is there.

Cards were 14th in points allowed (362 pts.) which is 22.6 pts per game. That's not great and I can't stand how some brag about being the #2 D which is yards allowed. I don't recall seeing anything about yards on the scoreboard.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

Please don't give us the "some people here will never be happy" cop-out line. "All or Nothing" was bestowed on every Cardinals' fan and if that truly is the barometer, then it was completely frivolous to promote a 3rd year NFL assistant coach to DC and think that he could battle wits with the best, time-tested OCs in the NFL, especially when proven veteran DCs like Wade Phillips and Jim Schwartz were available.

That said, James Bettcher has worked his tail off to try to compensate for his inexperience. But his inexperience has shown up at times, as it was bound to. The defensive meltdown at Carolina last year was a tipping point---and this year the whole defensive staff was out-coached game after game at half-time. In close games, the defense couldn't close the deal. Should anyone blame Bettcher? No. One could argue that he's done about as well as one could expect from a young, thrust into the spotlight too soon coordinator.

Take the 4 teams that are still playing this year---let's look at their DCs:

1. NE--Matt Patricia---13 years NFL experience---5 years as DC (Bill Belichick---defensive guru HC---30+ years)
2. PIT---Keith Butler---18 years NFL experience---2 years as DC (12 years as Dick Le Beau's top assistant)
3. ATL---Dan Quinn---13 years NFL experience---5 years as DC (Richard Smith, 29 years NFL, 2 as co-DC + 4 years preciously as Texans' DC)
4. GB---Dom Capers---31 years NFL experience---15 as DC (DC in GB since 2009---and was a HC for 4 years).

James Bettcher---5 years NFL experience---2 years as DC (on a team where the HC is an offensive guru).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Cards were 14th in points allowed (362 pts.) which is 22.6 pts per game. That's not great and I can't stand how some brag about being the #2 D which is yards allowed. I don't recall seeing anything about yards on the scoreboard.

Great point about 22.6 ppg. There is an easy explanation for the yards stat. BA's offense was poor in the red zone but good between the 20s thanks in large part to DJ and Fitz---the Cardinals often won time of possession. And because of poor punting, punt and kickoff coverage and the offense turning the ball over too often in the opponents' territory, the defense was working with an inordinate number of short fields and fewer minutes on the field.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Please don't give us the "some people here will never be happy" cop-out line. "All or Nothing" was bestowed on every Cardinals' fan and if that truly is the barometer, then it was completely frivolous to promote a 3rd year NFL assistant coach to DC and think that he could battle wits with the best, time-tested OCs in the NFL, especially when proven veteran DCs like Wade Phillips and Jim Schwartz were available.

That said, James Bettcher has worked his tail off to try to compensate for his inexperience. But his inexperience has shown up at times, as it was bound to. The defensive meltdown at Carolina last year was a tipping point---and this year the whole defensive staff was out-coached game after game at half-time. In close games, the defense couldn't close the deal. Should anyone blame Bettcher? No. One could argue that he's done about as well as one could expect from a young, thrust into the spotlight too soon coordinator.

1. NE--Matt Patricia---13 years NFL experience---5 years as DC (Bill Belichick---defensive guru HC---30+ years)
2. PIT---Keith Butler---18 years NFL experience---2 years as DC (12 years as Dick Le Beau's top assistant)
3. ATL---Dan Quinn---13 years NFL experience---5 years as DC (Richard Smith, 29 years NFL, 2 as co-DC)
4. GB---Dom Capers---31 years NFL experience---15 as DC

James Bettcher---5 years NFL experience---2 years as DC (on a team where the HC is an offensive guru).
The Falcons & Packers both have terrible defenses, so I don't fully understand this, Mitch.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
The Falcons & Packers both have terrible defenses, so I don't fully understand this, Mitch.

Have you been watching the Falcons and Packers this year?

The Falcons have the leading sack artist in the NFL in Vic Beasley---they added big-time speed at LB and at DB. Dan Quinn is turning this defense into his own version of the Seahawks'.

The Packers's front 7 has been very good this year and they are still winning (7 games in a row) despite losing 3 of their top 4 DBs to injuries.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To qualify a bit I do like Bettcher and believe he will continue to improve but he has gone through some growing pains.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
To qualify a bit I do like Bettcher and believe he will continue to improve but he has gone through some growing pains.

I agree. There are a number of things to like about Bettcher. What would be ideal is if he was given a mentor. Bob Sanders (LB coach with DC experience) has helped, but another mentor who can oversee the whole defense would be an asset, the way Tom Moore does with the offense.

What I wonder about is the morale among the defensive staff. I wonder how much gravitas Bettcher has with his assistant coaches, many of whom have more years of experience. It would not be surprising if behind the scenes some of them are disgruntled and/or miffed as to why Bettcher was the choice.

I also wonder whether some of the more veteran players think they have better ideas about the defense than their DC does.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

3. ATL---Dan Quinn---13 years NFL experience---5 years as DC (Richard Smith, 29 years NFL, 2 as co-DC + 4 years preciously as Texans' DC)
4. GB---Dom Capers---31 years NFL experience---15 as DC (DC in GB since 2009---and was a HC for 4 years).

This is the kind of dumb stuff im talking about. Defensive meltdown against Carolina!! Are you serious? Yeah cause the defense turned it over 6 TIMES. 6 freaking turnovers by the offense and it was a defensive meltdown to be blamed on Bettcher Huh. To expect a defense to not be dead tired at the end of a game like that and to bail out an offense that has turned the ball over 6 times in a game like that is so unrealistic its amazing.

Offense was the problem in Carolina that day and Palmer was obviously feeling a post Carolina hang over for the first part of the season but whatever let's keep blaming the defense for all those interceptions Palmer throws and all the sacks The offense line gives up.

6 turnovers and were blaming the defense Huh lol

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have you been watching the Falcons and Packers this year?

The Falcons have the leading sack artist in the NFL in Vic Beasley---they added big-time speed at LB and at DB. Dan Quinn is turning this defense into his own version of the Seahawks'.

The Packers's front 7 has been very good this year and they are still winning (7 games in a row) despite losing 3 of their top 4 DBs to injuries.
Yes I have, Mitch. Why would I say otherwise?

GB finished the season ranked 21 at PPG allowed: 24.3.
ATL finished the season ranked 27 at PPG allowed: 25.4.

Yards Given Up by GB: 363.9. Ranked 22.
Yards Given up by ATL: 371.2. Ranked 25.

GB's DVOA ranking: 20.
ATL's DVOA ranking: 27.

That is not good no matter how hard you try to spin it.

We finished higher than the both of them in pretty much every defensive category! Sacks, Points, Yards Given Up, turnovers, etc. They have been winning because Matt Ryan has had a MVP year & Aaron Rodgers is the best QB from a talent standpoint I have ever seen!

You know what also killed us unlike those teams? Offense to a degree, but mainly Special teams.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. There are a number of things to like about Bettcher. What would be ideal is if he was given a mentor. Bob Sanders (LB coach with DC experience) has helped, but another mentor who can oversee the whole defense would be an asset, the way Tom Moore does with the offense.

What I wonder about is the morale among the defensive staff. I wonder how much gravitas Bettcher has with his assistant coaches, many of whom have more years of experience. It would not be surprising if behind the scenes some of them are disgruntled and/or miffed as to why Bettcher was the choice.

I also wonder whether some of the more veteran players think they have better ideas about the defense than their DC does.

Your obviously not a leader or have ever been in charge of men in whatever it is you do in life. I've been on some of the biggest projects in the world and I've worked from New York to California I've been in charge of ndn 20 years older than me and trust me your gonna get on board real quick. To sit here and suggest two men like B.A and S.K have clue or tempature of the coaching staff is amazing.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said it before and I'll say it again. We will look bak at 2016 and label it "The Special Team Debacle".

Specail teams lost 4 games this year. Usually a team hopes special teams can win one or two. FOUR GAMES because of a missed extra point, FG, or blocked kick.

This team needs to get back to scoring 30 points a game. Do this and we will be back in the playoffs next year. Todays game is based on offense. The rules and the TV ratings dictate this.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
This is the kind of dumb stuff im talking about. Defensive meltdown against Carolina!! Are you serious? Yeah cause the defense turned it over 6 TIMES. 6 freaking turnovers by the offense and it was a defensive meltdown to be blamed on Bettcher Huh. To expect a defense to not be dead tired at the end of a game like that and to bail out an offense that has turned the ball over 6 times in a game like that is so unrealistic its amazing.

Offense was the problem in Carolina that day and Palmer was obviously feeling a post Carolina hang over for the first part of the season but whatever let's keep blaming the defense for all those interceptions Palmer throws and all the sacks The offense line gives up.

6 turnovers and were blaming the defense Huh lol

Do you remember the sideline fights between defensive players and coaches? Do you remember that it was reported later on that Bettcher tried a game plan versus Carolina that they hadn't run all year? Do you remember how the defense never stopped anyone that day? Do you remember Corey Brown converting a pass over the middle into a 86 yard TD? Ted Ginn---22 yard TD on a reverse. Cam Newton 17/28/335/2TD (C. Brown-113 yds., G. Olsen-113 yds.). Carolina had 152 yards rushing and 3 TDs (Stewart-83, Cam-47, Ginn-22). Close to 500 yards of total offense.

Sure the 6 TOs didn't help. But, the defensive performance was abysmal.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Yes I have, Mitch. Why would I say otherwise?

GB finished the season ranked 21 at PPG allowed: 24.3.
ATL finished the season ranked 27 at PPG allowed: 25.4.

Yards Given Up by GB: 363.9. Ranked 22.
Yards Given up by ATL: 371.2. Ranked 25.

GB's DVOA ranking: 20.
ATL's DVOA ranking: 27.

That is not good no matter how hard you try to spin it.

We finished higher than the both of them in pretty much every defensive category! Sacks, Points, Yards Given Up, turnovers, etc. They have been winning because Matt Ryan has had a MVP year & Aaron Rodgers is the best QB from a talent standpoint I have ever seen!

You know what also killed us unlike those teams? Offense to a degree, but mainly Special teams.

Good points, DVontel.

Neither is an elite defense---you are 100% correct about that.

The yards and ppg can be somewhat attributed by the opponents having to throw the ball a lot late in games as they are behind. Both ATL and GB were in a number of high scoring games.

When we played ATL they out-gained us 360 to 332 and we lost 38-19. They held DJ to 58 yard rushing, but DJ had 108 yards receiving. They dominated time of possession 34:22 to 25:38.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Your obviously not a leader or have ever been in charge of men in whatever it is you do in life. I've been on some of the biggest projects in the world and I've worked from New York to California I've been in charge of ndn 20 years older than me and trust me your gonna get on board real quick. To sit here and suggest two men like B.A and S.K have clue or tempature of the coaching staff is amazing.

Do you really have to resort to personal insults?

As to your point---do you really think that SK and BA have a good handle on the coaching staff? See Amos Jones, for starters.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Have to agree that turnovers, poor field position, Poor ST play and subpar 3rd down & red zone defense were enough to more than neutralize better than decent offensive production and near-elite overall defensive play.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Interesting comments on Nkemdiche. A young millionaire with focus issues trying to learn how to budget his time.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Another word for it is immaturity.
Or a player who's not motivated to be great & reach his potential.

I'm sorry but if he doesn't have that fire inside his soul, he's never gonna step up & succeed, which was exactly what he did in college.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Weren't the Cards first, or near the top, in red zone the previous year?

To me, the best part of the Cards defense the last few years has been their run defense. Teams usually have a hard time running the ball against the Cards.

Also, I'll take the Cards defense over any of the 3 teams remaining in the playoffs. Especially if we can take their ST with them :) .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson