Baker Mayfield making a push to be the #1 overall pick?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
lots of great action at the combine today. But Barkley's all time performance not withstanding some of the best action wasnt even on the field...it was in the media room.

Mayfield hit the combine in full force today with comments...no, STATEMENTS that show he expects to be a franchise QB...and maybe even wants to be the #1 overall pick.

when asked about the possibility of playing for the Cleveland Brown Mayfield hit the question head on with no sugar coating.
" I think if anyone is going to turn that franchise around, it’s going to be me"

There it is there... that says "Hey Cleveland, if you ever want to be a winning team you better draft me"

also, in what could be a veiled comment directed towards the NY Giants...when asked about the possibility of having a backup role with whoever drafted him, again...Mayfield didnt flinch.

First things first, whatever team I go to, I’m not going to settle for a backup job,
of course he followed up by saying all the right things about competing and everyone having a role and may the best man win... but the statement was clear the kid expects to start wherever he may go.

It was a good interview really...statements like "I think accuracy is important, and I am the most accurate QB in the draft......by far" just served to cement that Baker Mayfield has rock solid confidence. Even when he was asked if he crosses the line into cockiness he nipped it in the bud.." I dont think I am cocky at all. But I am very confident"

When you consider the Browns owners fascination with players with "moxie" which is what enamored him of Johnny Manziel... is it possible Mayfield can convince them to draft him with the first pick? Can he convince them his passion isnt going to hurt the team? That he wont be crotch yanking at the steelers twice a season?
If he can pull it off it could cause some chaos at the draft while teams suddenly find themselves trying to compare who is left on the board versus who they thought they were going to pick.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Browns fans ache for a football hero. They need to get Barkley and Mayfield and at least the Dawgs will be in football heaven for a few months. . . and might even win a game or two.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
lots of great action at the combine today. But Barkley's all time performance not withstanding some of the best action wasnt even on the field...it was in the media room.

Mayfield hit the combine in full force today with comments...no, STATEMENTS that show he expects to be a franchise QB...and maybe even wants to be the #1 overall pick.

when asked about the possibility of playing for the Cleveland Brown Mayfield hit the question head on with no sugar coating.
" I think if anyone is going to turn that franchise around, it’s going to be me"

There it is there... that says "Hey Cleveland, if you ever want to be a winning team you better draft me"

also, in what could be a veiled comment directed towards the NY Giants...when asked about the possibility of having a backup role with whoever drafted him, again...Mayfield didnt flinch.

First things first, whatever team I go to, I’m not going to settle for a backup job,
of course he followed up by saying all the right things about competing and everyone having a role and may the best man win... but the statement was clear the kid expects to start wherever he may go.

It was a good interview really...statements like "I think accuracy is important, and I am the most accurate QB in the draft......by far" just served to cement that Baker Mayfield has rock solid confidence. Even when he was asked if he crosses the line into cockiness he nipped it in the bud.." I dont think I am cocky at all. But I am very confident"

When you consider the Browns owners fascination with players with "moxie" which is what enamored him of Johnny Manziel... is it possible Mayfield can convince them to draft him with the first pick? Can he convince them his passion isnt going to hurt the team? That he wont be crotch yanking at the steelers twice a season?
If he can pull it off it could cause some chaos at the draft while teams suddenly find themselves trying to compare who is left on the board versus who they thought they were going to pick.

So far, everything he says might be true concerning college. He probably is the most accurate QB but not if he attempts all the throws Rosen can :)

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't be at all surprised if he is #1 overall. Especially with the recent hires in Cleveland's front office. They can get Barkley for sure at #4 also, because Darnold, Rosen, or Allen will be #2 and #3.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Meh... I like him a little less now, what's next? A text to the Browns GM saying "Hurry up and draft me because I want to be there. I want to wreck this league together."

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Meh... I like him a little less now, what's next? A text to the Browns GM saying "Hurry up and draft me because I want to be there. I want to wreck this league together."

Yup, these are the first comments from him which have me leery. Anyone who mouths off like that with multiple statements is not confident but insecure. If he tries this entering a vet locker room without having proven anything, watch out. All that crotch grabbing and on field action I take lightly, these 'matter of fact' statement is him talking out of his ass and I would not want an ass as the face of my franchise. I am becoming more and more supportive of Lamar Jackson, his humility, his talent and how the media is abstracting him and him taking it all in stride

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yup, these are the first comments from him which have me leery. Anyone who mouths off like that with multiples statements is not confident but insecure. If he tries this entering a vet locker room without having proven anything, watch out. All that crotch grabbing and on field action I take lightly, these 'matter of fact' statement is him talking out of his ass and I would not want an ass as the face of my franchise. I am becoming more and more supportive of Lamar Jackson, his humility, his talent and how the media is abstracting him and him taking it all in stride
You guys kill me getting all nervous about a guys thoughts on who he is, especially when he’s proven repeatedly he can play QB & was probably the best at his position for 2 years! Almost everything he said is true.

Oh btw remember when Peyton Manning told Bill Polian “You better take me or I’m going to beat you’re ass”? I think that worked out pretty well considering what it could have been lol
You must be registered for see images attach

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
You guys kill me getting all nervous about a guys thoughts on who he is, especially when he’s proven repeatedly he can play QB & was probably the best at his position for 2 years! Almost everything he said is true.

Oh btw remember when Peyton Manning told Bill Polian “You better take me or I’m going to beat you’re ass”? I think that worked out pretty well considering what it could have been lol
You must be registered for see images attach

He told the owner privately and not on a public forum. A well directed cannon and not a loose one. Those words just now by Mayfield shows an inability to remain calm and control his passion, passion must be well directed to be effective in my opinion and not sprayed all over the place... makes me think Mayfield might be bipolar lol

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He told the owner privately and not on a public forum. A well directed cannon and not a loose one. Those words just now by Mayfield shows an inability to remain calm and control his passion, passion must be well directed to be effective in my opinion and not sprayed all over the place... makes me think Mayfield might be bipolar lol
No he is just confident about his talent and he knows what can bring to the table, not the same could he said about darnold who decided no throwing at combine and didnt show much confident at the podium
If u don't match your talent with strong personality and the ability to handle the pressure u can't be a great qb

Buckybird

Reaction score
I don’t agree with the trash talking & self confidence either Jet, it’s not my personality. But, many guys I played ball with all the way thru college & after did talk smack & had that bravado. There are also guys in the NFL today who do it, but if you can play you can play period. Some guys are alpha males some aren’t.

I do think there’s something to his words & actions to always being counted out as an athlete...all the way from Lake Travis until Tech, then to OU. It could also be a “little man” complex playing against the football giants as well. Lol

I luv his talent! They guy has proved all the doubters wrong all the way up until this point & that chip on his shoulder drives him constantly.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I don’t agree with the trash talking & self confidence either Jet, it’s not my personality. But, many guys I played ball with all the way thru college & after did talk smack & had that bravado. There are also guys in the NFL today who do it, but if you can play you can play period. Some guys are alpha males some aren’t.

I do think there’s something to his words & actions to always being counted out as an athlete...all the way from Lake Travis until Tech, then to OU. It could also be a “little man” complex playing against the football giants as well. Lol

I luv his talent! They guy has proved all the doubters wrong all the way up until this point & that chip on his shoulder drives him constantly.

Mayfield is a talented player and has been a winner... his ego though has me taking the popcorn out as we approach the draft lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
QB isn't the position I want that mouthy, cocky player. I want to see steady leadership, not trash talk, there. I now have two concerns (not knowing much about the QBs thus far): Allen's accuracy and Mayfield's maturity.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Don't be at all surprised if he is #1 overall. Especially with the recent hires in Cleveland's front office. They can get Barkley for sure at #4 also, because Darnold, Rosen, or Allen will be #2 and #3.

Barkley could go to the Giants at #2 and would definitely not get past the Colts at #3. If the Browns want him they will have to pick him at #1

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Good news for the Cardinals that this seems to be a pretty well stocked QB class, as well as FA's. They should come out OK with some savvy moves.

One guy from NFL network has us trading up into top 5 for Josh Allen. Don't know if I'd pick him over Rosen though with Darnold going #1 overall. Competition in Pac 12 much better.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Browns fans ache for a football hero. They need to get Barkley and Mayfield and at least the Dawgs will be in football heaven for a few months. . . and might even win a game or two.

if the get Barkley at 1 and Mayfield at 4... they are gonna win a lot of games for a very long time.
Mayfield may or may not.... but Saquon Barkley is generational... kid is Marcus Allen/emmit smith type generational RB.... he does everything and he does everything well.... while being of a physical makeup that would indicate limited injuries.

did you see what the kid did yesterday?? Hailed as likely the best combine performance by any player all time.... faster than devon hester...quicker than OBJ... jumps higher than Julio Jones...and did more reps on the bench than Joe Thomas....Joe Thomas!! the HoF offensive tackle.....the kid blocks like a beast and has hands as soft as a babies ass...all while being intelligent, articulate, humble, possessing of strong character and driven to continue getting better...
There are questions on every player in the draft...except this one. Barkley is a Franchise player and hands down the best player in the draft. He is also a clear choice to be the first overall pick..

think about it... who was the last RB that could even be argued as a #1 pick? QB's get weighted due to how hard the position is to fill so they often go first when their talent says they should go fifth....for the past ten years RB's have gone in the second when their talent says they should go tenth... But here he is... Saquon Barkley, in every discussion on tv involving the top pick.

only the second player in combine history over 230lbs to run a 4.4 forty or less.

even as badly as we need a QB...if Barkley were sitting there at 15 I would snatch him up,... take my chances with Teddy Bridgewater... because with Barkley and DJ in the backfield together bridgewater can post lots of wins.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
If Cleveland would take Barkley or Mayfield at #1 it would be appropriate for the joke of a franchise they are. With Barkley, yes he's a good player, but when is the last time a RB was the key to a NFL championship? Has AP won anything? The last time a RB was the main cog to an offense that won was Bettis. You need a QB to win.

QB is the choice at #1 but it's not a 5'11, not overly athletic, average armed QB that likes to talk a lot. Again, look at history. When the last time a QB under 6' was even drafted in round 1, much less #1 overall. I don't think there's a GM in the league that would draft Mayfield over Darnold. At least not one that wants to keep his job very long.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
If Cleveland would take Barkley or Mayfield at #1 it would be appropriate for the joke of a franchise they are. With Barkley, yes he's a good player, but when is the last time a RB was the key to a NFL championship? Has AP won anything? The last time a RB was the main cog to an offense that won was Bettis. You need a QB to win.

QB is the choice at #1 but it's not a 5'11, not overly athletic, average armed QB that likes to talk a lot. Again, look at history. When the last time a QB under 6' was even drafted in round 1, much less #1 overall. I don't think there's a GM in the league that would draft Mayfield over Darnold. At least not one that wants to keep his job very long.

In fairness to Mayfield i do think he measured just a bit over 6 foot height.I really hate to say this but when i think of Baker Mayfield i think of Doug Flutie.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In fairness to Mayfield i do think he measured just a bit over 6 foot height.I really hate to say this but when i think of Baker Mayfield i think of Doug Flutie.

Flutie?

3 inches shorter and a better athlete.

Brees is a better comparison as an athlete, arm strength, accuracy.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Mayfield is just under 6'1.

Buckybird

Reaction score
Luv ya Jim & it’s ok to not be on board with a player & have a difference of opinion on a player for whatever reason.

But come on man, you keep saying things about BM that simply aren’t true! The facts are he’s over 6’, he’s no Scam Newton moving around but he’s not Drew Bledsoe either & he certainly doesn’t have a noodle arm as you’ve suggested before. Many evaluators & scouts like his arm strength and say they are surprised how strong it is.

Did The touchdown Maker plant an OU flag in your yard or talk trash to your dog after beating the Bucks? Lol :mrgreen:. You know I’m jk
All I can say is keep to the facts, don’t knock the guy on falsehoods.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I think you're being too generous.

Flutie didn't have to talk himself up and grab his crotch to get attention.... or paid.

Let the tapes speak for themselves.... If you have to start a PR campaign or text GM's
You're probably not half as good as you think you are.

But hey..... It worked out great for Johnny Football, so you can't blame others for trying.

Last edited: