Baker Mayfield makes more sense than Minshew.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Minshew would have fit Kliff's system better.
Brissett was really good, but only in the system for a year.

Baker Mayfield spent 2 seasons in Cleveland with Petzing. Also what helped him with the Rams is that he was familiar with Stefanski's system.

I actually think Jacoby is going to get a starting job next year. Probably the Bucs as a stop gap. I think in terms of a stop gap Mayfield fits the bill because he's more proven than Colt, he's someone Kyler really respects, and he is going to be more familiar with Petzing's offense in teaching Kyler. Say what you wil l but Mayfield actually won a playoff game. That means something.

Obviously, as a pro Kyler needs to be engaged in learning regardless. However, is Minshew someone he's going to listen to about a foreign system to him or is it Mayfield? @Crimson Warrior

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Would Baker's ego be ok with that role?
I mean what are his options?
I think his best shot at starting out of the Cardinals is the NFC South.

Saints want Carr.
Very low chance of him going back to the Panthers.
Bucs might be in play for Jimmy G (or Brissett imo)
Falcons might draft a guy or give Ridder a shot (or tak for Caleb?)

In terms of the NFC East the Commanders have already said Sam Howell is QB1.

Imo outside of the Cardinals I could see him going back to the Rams and just waiting on another Stafford injury I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
it will if you lead him to believe he could win the starting job. it has the added benefit of pushing kyler...having another first overall pick on the team who is still in his prime.
I dont think you lead him to believe that. However, just by starting and if he plays well he'll know he'll have the chance to create that opportunity/controversy.

Again to me the most important thing is I can see Baker teaching Kyler a new system and eager to learn. Cause for one thats his good friend and two Mayfield can speak on experience how to be successful in it (playoffs).

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Backup to a fellow OU qb might be feasible compared to elsewhere.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Baker would be a fine bandage, but I think he wants to be a long-term starter somewhere

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Baker would be a fine bandage, but I think he wants to be a long-term starter somewhere
He would really need Rodgers to retire (so Jimmy G goes to the Raiders).

I just dont see the spots available. And his other alternative might be to go back to the Rams and hope Stafford breaks down.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Minshew would have fit Kliff's system better.
Brissett was really good, but only in the system for a year.

Baker Mayfield spent 2 seasons in Cleveland with Petzing. Also what helped him with the Rams is that he was familiar with Stefanski's system.

I actually think Jacoby is going to get a starting job next year. Probably the Bucs as a stop gap. I think in terms of a stop gap Mayfield fits the bill because he's more proven than Colt, he's someone Kyler really respects, and he is going to be more familiar with Petzing's offense in teaching Kyler. Say what you wil l but Mayfield actually won a playoff game. That means something.

Obviously, as a pro Kyler needs to be engaged in learning regardless. However, is Minshew someone he's going to listen to about a foreign system to him or is it Mayfield? @Crimson Warrior
If Baker spent a bunch of time with the TE coach in Cleveland it makes sense why he is no longer there.

Also, Petzing's teaching resulted in two of Austin Hooper's worst years as a pro and David Njoku had a career year after Petzing moved to the QB coach position.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I mean what are his options?
I think his best shot at starting out of the Cardinals is the NFC South.

Saints want Carr.
Very low chance of him going back to the Panthers.
Bucs might be in play for Jimmy G (or Brissett imo)
Falcons might draft a guy or give Ridder a shot (or tak for Caleb?)

In terms of the NFC East the Commanders have already said Sam Howell is QB1.

Imo outside of the Cardinals I could see him going back to the Rams and just waiting on another Stafford injury I guess.
Being the backup to some random is very different than being the backup to the guy who backed you up in college. Just saying.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Baker spent a bunch of time with the TE coach in Cleveland it makes sense why he is no longer there.

Also, Petzing's teaching resulted in two of Austin Hooper's worst years as a pro and David Njoku had a career year after Petzing moved to the QB coach position.
The only real NFL offense Petzing's knows is pretty much Stefanksi's. Which features heavily the Norv Turner/Pat Shurmur background. Thats the guy whose offense he learned inside and out coached with for years. Fair to say that's what he's going to bring over and Baker Mayfield is familiar with it.
Being the backup to some random is very different than being the backup to the guy who backed you up in college. Just saying.
I think Mayfield needs starts. He'd get that in Arizona to start the year and thats the guy who he used to teach in college. He'll help Kyler with the verbiage and understanding of new concepts for him. After that just be a good teammate and hope for a job elsewhere next year.

You're underestimating just how good friends they are.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fans from every other team. "look at the poor Cardinals. Apparently having the #1 overall draft pick from 2019 being a bust just wasn't enough, so they added the overall #1 from 2018 to the roster as well".
Trying to get '24 1st overall for Caleb

You must be registered for see images attach

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't see Baker taking a role where he's got no chance to compete for a starting role, unless it's with the Rams based on his success there in a short period. He showed too much down the stretch to not at least be in the consideration set for a team, or be the full-time starter bringing a rookie up to speed.

I'm not against Mayfield coming here necessarily, but he's an outspoken guy, and while he and Kyler are friends, they were "competitive" and **** talkers back at OU, as opposed to one really taking on a full "support" role, as mentioned here and in other articles.

Guys like Brissett and Minshew are pretty settled into the idea that they're backups in support roles, who might start a few games here or there. Baker's still on the cusp of being a guy that can compete for a starting spot. I see Brissett being a better mentor type, overall.

Not to mention, Mayfield seems like more of a potential distraction, being such a vocal guy. If Kyler struggles, does the locker room gravitate more towards the vocal guy who was also a #1 overall pick?

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't see Baker taking a role where he's got no chance to compete for a starting role, unless it's with the Rams based on his success there in a short period. He showed too much down the stretch to not at least be in the consideration set for a team, or be the full-time starter bringing a rookie up to speed.

I'm not against Mayfield coming here necessarily, but he's an outspoken guy, and while he and Kyler are friends, they were "competitive" and **** talkers back at OU, as opposed to one really taking on a full "support" role, as mentioned here and in other articles.

Guys like Brissett and Minshew are pretty settled into the idea that they're backups in support roles, who might start a few games here or there. Baker's still on the cusp of being a guy that can compete for a starting spot. I see Brissett being a better mentor type, overall.

Not to mention, Mayfield seems like more of a potential distraction, being such a vocal guy. If Kyler struggles, does the locker room gravitate more towards the vocal guy who was also a #1 overall pick?
Same risk with Minshew tbf.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Kyler and Mayfield are friends and familiar competitors. The main concern with Kyler is the reports last year that he didn't care/was coasting, that the huge contract might have taken away some of his drive. If he's struggling its because he needs to work harder. I can't think of a better motivation for Kyler than the threat of potentially losing his starting spot to Baker

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Same risk with Minshew tbf.
Eh, I don't think Minshew has shown the talent to be a starter, and he's come out and has very frequently cemented his stance as "I'm the #2 guy" in reference to Trevor Lawrence and Jalen Hurts.

He's a personality, but not the same, IMO. He doesn't have the pedigree.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind Baker, Brisset or Minshew as the stopgap.
All would work and Baker is not the ego freak people put him out to be. Does he have an ego? Sure, or you better never line up under center in this league. I am seeing Carr might have Carolina as an option. Not suggesting Carr because he has too much long term starter possibility status to take this job, which is Kyler Murray's right, but truthfully, I like Carr better than the likes of Kirk Cousins

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not a fan of Baker but I think both he and Minshew will be looking for something more.

At least Brissett has come to terms with being a backup.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just no to Baker Mayfield. And can we put a pin in the idea that Brisset is really good and could be a starter for some teams? He's a stopgap level player, nothing more.
Better drafting a guy in round 3/4 and then if he pans out in some way there is a trade value

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave