AZ 26 GB 20 (OT) Thoughts

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont know why they didnt use Fitzgerald and Floyd on hail Mary. We had a 6'3 Janis matching with a 6'0 and 5'11 ..

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That tackle he made on Kuhn, who was clearly planning to just truck him, was sensational. He lifts him off the ground and dropped him on his head, no more yardage for you, Mr. Kuhn.

Lot of great plays last night, but that is one I will certainly remember for a long time.

This was awesome.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Refs were horrible.

I think we got some favorable (non calls) in that game compared to a lot of games during the season. Granted, there were numerous holds by the Packers O line, but I'm sure there were some that they missed on us. I am one to always voice my opinion on officiating, but this time around, I think they let them play. The one call I did not particularly care for was the blind side block on Fitz. That's part of football!

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early line - Carolina -3.5, 48 over/under. Sounds about right to me.

And apparently most of the money is being bet on the Panthers. I saw it was -3 when I was in vegas, but now it is -3 (-120). In case you are not a sports better, usually when you take the favorite, you have to bet $110 to win $100. So when the point line doesn't move, but most of the money is on one team, the juice starts to move before the point line does. So now if you took the Panthers -3, then you need to bet $120 to win $100, until the point line changes. I can see the line moving to 4, 4 1/2 or 5 and then before the game it will shift back to the Cardinals +3

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Both Peterson and Johnson were very tentative---I think they were worried about getting called for PI. And because the defense sold out by rushing 7, there was no man covering Janis in front of him, which would have made it harder for him to track, time his leap and catch the ball.

If they decide against the prevent the next time, I bet that they will put Fitz back as one of the 4 deep safeties. What they really need to do is stress that the edge men cannot lose contain. Even though Calais Campbell was held---his rush angle was too shallow---poor technique on his part and it would seem he was a curious choice to to play the edge in that situation.

Great original post Mitch. My father named me after Dylan Thomas way back in 1971, long before the name became all the rage (you see what I did there) with the birth of the Beverly Hills 90210 character.

On another note, not enough is being made of the angle Calais took on the Hail Mary. Yes he was held, but by that point it was clear no holding was going to be called, and the angle Calais took was an open invitation for Rodgers to leak out left. Also, I like blitzing Rodgers but sending 7 - that's reckless.

Also, I somewhat understand Rashad Johnson not high pointing the football (perhaps he was afraid of PI or knocking PP away), but why is he not ripping at the ball while Janis is on the way down?? With the "receiver going to the ground" rules, he really didn't need to do too much there to cause the incomplete pass. Instead he just stood around and dove in after it was too late. As Barkley would say, just turrible.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great original post Mitch. My father named me after Dylan Thomas way back in 1971, long before the name became all the rage (you see what I did there) with the birth of the Beverly Hills 90210 character.

On another note, not enough is being made of the angle Calais took on the Hail Mary. Yes he was held, but by that point it was clear no holding was going to be called, and the angle Calais took was an open invitation for Rodgers to leak out left. Also, I like blitzing Rodgers but sending 7 - that's reckless.

Also, I somewhat understand Rashad Johnson not high pointing the football (perhaps he was afraid of PI or knocking PP away), but why is he not ripping at the ball while Janis is on the way down?? With the "receiver going to the ground" rules, he really didn't need to do too much there to cause the incomplete pass. Instead he just stood around and dove in after it was too late. As Barkley would say, just turrible.

hard to be sure of course but I don't think it was CC's fault that Rodgers got outside. If you watch the replay watch Minter, it's not immediate but I think he and CC were stunting. CC cut in to his left and Minter cuts out to his right but it was too late, CC was already being tackled and Minter could not get outside.

But I don't think CC just went in on his own, I think that was the design of the play with Minter stunting to the outside. If you watch CC lines up well wide.

Also of cousre you HAVE to say if you're going to force Rodgers to roll out you want him to go left. That he still made that throw is just how good Aaron Rodgers is.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

That is so cool that you were named after Dylan Thomas. I find his poetry mesmerizing and hauntingly resonant. His poem, And Death Shall have No Dominion, totally changed my perspective on death---as he said so beautifully: "Though lovers be lost, love shall not, and death shall have no dominion."

I thought Rashad Johnson was way too late getting there---but, in his defense, the Packers had trips to the other side and as one of only 4 defenders deep he understandably was favoring the right side of the end zone---and---Aaron Rodgers admitted after the game that when he saw the Cardinals were blitzing heavily to his right to prevent him from rolling right, he figured he would go opposite. He said he had "no idea" who he was throwing to when he threw the ball. Thus, Jeff Janis, the lone WR on that side, started tracking the ball in flight, and Peterson was worried about making contact with him, so he stayed behind him and Johnson wasn't there fast enough to cover Janis from the inside. Actually, Johnson did a good job of trying to strip the ball when it appeared to be sitting loosely in Janis' lap (unbelievable in light of taking such a big fall to the turf)---not sure if Janis ever quite secured the football with two hands. But there wasn't enough on tape to overturn the call.

Last edited:

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
That is so cool that you were named after Dylan Thomas. I find his poetry mesmerizing and hauntingly resonant. His poem, And Death Shall have No Dominion, totally changed my perspective on death---as he said so beautifully: "Though lovers be lost, love shall not, and death shall have no dominion."

I thought Rashad Johnson was way too late getting there---but, in his defense, the Packers had trips to the other side and as one of only 4 defenders deep he understandably was favoring the right side of the end zone---and---Aaron Rodgers admitted after the game that when he saw the Cardinals were blitzing heavily to his right to prevent him from rolling right, he figured he would go opposite. He said he had "no idea" who he was throwing to when he threw the ball. Thus, Jeff Janis, the lone WR on that side, started tracking the ball in flight, and Peterson was worried about making contact with him, so he stayed behind him and Johnson wasn't there fast enough to cover Janis from the inside. Actually, Johnson did a good job of trying to strip the ball was it was sitting loosely in Janis' lap---not sure if Janis ever quite secured the football with two hands. But there wasn't enough on tape to overturn the call.

While Rashad did eventually go for the ball AFTER noticing it was loosely hanging on the hip, it seems like if he had just attacked the hands sooner he would have been able to knock the ball loose for sure. To be fair I am sure he was completely exhausted, but he was in position soon enough to attack Janis on the way down instead of after he was already prone on the ground (too late).

Similarly, I always though Aaron Francisco should have chopped at the ball as Santonio Holmes was going to the ground instead of simply pushing him hard. But that's a story for another day....which can all be forgotten with wins these next 2 games!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
hard to be sure of course but I don't think it was CC's fault that Rodgers got outside. If you watch the replay watch Minter, it's not immediate but I think he and CC were stunting. CC cut in to his left and Minter cuts out to his right but it was too late, CC was already being tackled and Minter could not get outside.

But I don't think CC just went in on his own, I think that was the design of the play with Minter stunting to the outside. If you watch CC lines up well wide.

Also of cousre you HAVE to say if you're going to force Rodgers to roll out you want him to go left. That he still made that throw is just how good Aaron Rodgers is.

I could be wrong, Russ, but I think the Cardinals were convinced Rodgers would drift to his right, as he has repeatedly in that situation in the past---so, from the backside, I think CC took a shallow angle so that he could be there to tackle Rodgers when he would go into the crow hop to throw the ball deep. I don't think for one second they ever thought he would spin left, especially when his trips were to the right. Even Rodgers admitted that once he escaped left and felt Golden bearing down on him, he had no idea who he was throwing to---he said he didn't see anyone when he threw it.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
While Rashad did eventually go for the ball AFTER noticing it was loosely hanging on the hip, it seems like if he had just attacked the hands sooner he would have been able to knock the ball loose for sure. To be fair I am sure he was completely exhausted, but he was in position soon enough to attack Janis on the way down instead of after he was already prone on the ground (too late).

Similarly, I always though Aaron Francisco should have chopped at the ball as Santonio Holmes was going to the ground instead of simply pushing him hard. But that's a story for another day....which can all be forgotten with wins these next 2 games!

I agree with you, but it looked to me like Johnson was still not close enough to Janis to rip at the ball until he hit the turf.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, Russ, but I think the Cardinals were convinced Rodgers would drift to his right, as he has repeatedly in that situation in the past---so, from the backside, I think CC took a shallow angle so that he could be there to tackle Rodgers when he would go into the crow hop to throw the ball deep. I don't think for one second they ever thought he would spin left, especially when his trips were to the right. Even Rodgers admitted that once he escaped left and felt Golden bearing down on him, he had no idea who he was throwing to---he said he didn't see anyone when he threw it.

Sure but watch Minter on the play, it looks to me like at the very second CC starts to turn in(and get tackled) Minter starts to cut out. Maybe he sensed there was nobody out there but it seems to me like it's a designed Stunt.

I have no problem at all with how we rushed him beyond as I said before, Freeney basically stops, but he was so far away and I think he saw CC get tackled too.

The problem was not playing the ball in the endzone correctly.

And again, it's a phenomenal play by Rodgers and Janis. That can't be stated enough what an incredible throw that was.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I think I first heard it from Rashad on his post game interview, but he said they knew Rodgers likes rolling right, especially in that spot, so they brought pressure from the left side of the defense, QB's right, to thwart that very thing. Of course he went left and pulled off one of the greatest throws I've seen.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hey Mitch,

Wouldn't you say that Rodgers went all, "Stephen Crane" in his press conference?

In the dessert
I saw a creature, naked, *******,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good friend?"
"It is bitter---bitter," he answered,
"But I like it,
Because it is bitter.
And because it is my heart"

:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Wouldn't you say that Rodgers went all, "Stephen Crane" in his press conference?

In the dessert
I saw a creature, naked, *******,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good friend?"
"It is bitter---bitter," he answered,
"But I like it,
Because it is bitter.
And because it is my heart"

:D

Wow! I am totally impressed with your erudition, RV!

Here's a verse from another Crane nugget, War is Kind:

"Do not weep, babe, for war is kind.
Because your father tumbled in the yellow trenches,
Raged at his breast, gulped and died,
Do not weep.
War is kind."

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Wow! I am totally impressed with your erudition, RV!

Here's a verse from another Crane nugget, War is Kind:

"Do not weep, babe, for war is kind.
Because your father tumbled in the yellow trenches,
Raged at his breast, gulped and died,
Do not weep.
War is kind."

:raccoon:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members