AZ 26 GB 20 (OT) Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
This game was like a standing-room-only operatic performance of the classic Dylan Thomas villanelle Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Such is the case in playoff football---it is do or die.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Applies so well to the Cardinals because they have never won a Super Bowl. Heading into the game, the head coach, Bruce Arians was 0-1 in the playoffs. The Cardinals' QB, Carson Palmer, was 0-2 in the playoffs. Both the head coach and the QB are in the latter years of their careers. As is the face of the franchise, WR Larry Fitzgerald, who, when congratulated by the passionate owner, Michael Bidwill, said, "This is why you brought me back, right?"

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

This applies well to the Packers---who, with their HOF QB Aaron Rodgers, came within an on-side kick recovery of heading the Super Bowl last year---and all the shoulda coulda wouldas that they and their fans have been pondering for the last few years---and in this business, at the end of the season, despite all the worthy contenders, only one team "dances in a green bay."

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Patrick Peterson's near 100 yard pick six---alas, called back because of a defensive face mask penalty. Peterson, who may have vexed the football gods for finger wagging at the last chasing Packer as he was prancing onto the end zone, nearly paid the ultimate humility for not properly tracking Aaron Rodgers' Hail Mary pass, which essentially was thrown right to him, the most able human on the planet to track a football in flight.

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

First, for Aaron Rodgers, who threw two successful Hail Marys, the first out of a 4th and 20 hole from the end zone, when CB Justin Bethel and FS Rashad Johnson did the unthinkable by allowing WR Jeff Janis to beat them deep on the play. The second, in which, Rodgers cleverly read how the Cardinals were going to prevent his patented roll out right, so he swiveled his hips to the left and threw the ball 60 yards from a hop on his back foot with stunning air and accuracy.

Second, for Carson Palmer, who, on the first play of overtime, in the face of extreme pocket pressure, stumbled into his own blocker like a blind man, managed to keep his feet and suddenly in a second's flash spotted a wide-open Larry Fitzgerald in the opposite flat of the field---"blind eyes can blaze like meteors!"

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

This goes out to our head coach, Bruce Arians and his staff---who never take their feet off the pedals---which ultimately has helped shape a fast and furious mindset on the part the players on what it takes to succeed. Bruce Arians is as fierce as they come---and if anyone alive possesses the knowledge of how to turn curses into blessings, he does---and by the same token, so does QB Carson Palmer, who manifests the uncanny ability to respond to his mistakes by being even more aggressive the next time (there is nothing gentle about Palmer's approach )---and by the same token, so does WR Larry Fitzgerald who is the franchise's all-time paragon of diligence, loyalty and perseverance in helping the Arizona Cardinals expunge the stigma of a hapless, perennial doormat.

The Packers and Cardinals gave the world a stunning view of two teams that, yes made their fair share of mistakes, but, in the end, gave every ounce of courage and unyielding determination to try to stay alive. Neither team did not go gentle into that good night. One team prevailed in the end---but, both teams deserve the highest of praise---both teams proved themselves worthy of the occasion.

Harkening back to the issue of "no respect"---here is how far the Cardinals have come---you can see it all in this one minute video--- if you see it through to the end---it is a fitting reflection of the Arians Way!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Added Thoughts:

Players who stepped up big-time:

C Lyle Sendelin---maybe the best game of his career---did you see his block on B.J. Raji on the key third and short run to David Johnson? Wow.

RB David Johnson---that third down catch in traffic and backward tumble for the first down was sensational.

WR Michael Floyd---Johnny on the Spot, baby!

WR Smoke Brown---when Dom Capers switched to zone because Fitz was starting to go off---Smoke ran the zone routes to perfection.

DT Rodney Gunter---played hard all night.

ILB Deone Bucannon---was absolutely dynamic.

OLBs Dwight Freeney and Markus Golden---showed up big when they were needed the most.

S Tony Jefferson---led the team in tackles and had the best pass break up of the night on TE Richard Rodgers.

K Chandler Catanzaro---was super concentrated and efficient.

Cause for Concern?

G Mike Iupati---wonder of the shoulder is really hampering him.

G Ted Larsen---wildly inconsistent.

DT Frostee Rucker---not his usual self.

CB Justin Bethel---needs to play with more energy and bounce---never thought he would be the kind of player who would play lazy and mentally out of it at times.

FS Rashad Johnson---really slow reacting to so many plays, especially the Hail Marys that any FS should have been able to get to much earlier---am beginning to wonder whether D.J, Swearing is the better option right now. Like Rucker and iupati, Johnson appears to be hampered by injuries.

Turning Point?

Getting Dom Capers to switch to zone---which he did ironically to do a better job of containing Fitz.

That and---the now infamous coin toss!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
The trajectory of Deone Buchanon's career path, makes him a Pro Bowler next year, then All-Pro the next. I liked him in college, but felt he was a reach in the first round. Boy was I wrong, he is electric. Last night he was just as effective as a prime Daryl Washington. So glad to have him.

I agree watching Justin Bethel give up on the 4th and 20 made me sick. If that happens in the regular season, you have to bench the player.

Great, memorable game that was a ton of fun to watch.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good write Walter. :thumbup:

The one thing I wondered on the Hail Mary was wtf was Rashad doing on that play? He stood there & waited for PP to play the ball instead of jumping & helping out. I was flabbergasted by that :mad:

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Refs were horrible.

For entertainment value, they really kept the game moving. Yes, they under-officiated. But over-officiating makes for slow, tedious games. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
The trajectory of Deone Buchanon's career path, makes him a Pro Bowler next year, then All-Pro the next. I liked him in college, but felt he was a reach in the first round. Boy was I wrong, he is electric. Last night he was just as effective as a prime Daryl Washington. So glad to have him.

I agree watching Justin Bethel give up on the 4th and 20 made me sick. If that happens in the regular season, you have to bench the player.

Everyone at the time wanted us to draft an ILB. Guess what, Jay? They did!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Add Veldheer to the concerns list. He looked like Brandon Keith bad last night.

First of all, blocking Julius Peppers with zero help is a formidable task and then some. Yes, Veldheer got beaten badly a couple of times---but---he did a very good job riding and steering Peppers wife of the pocket in the second half, and Carson Palmer was in sync and knew when to step up into the pocket. if I were grading Veldheer---first half C-, second half B+.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
First of all, blocking Julius Peppers with zero help is a formidable task and then some. Yes, Veldheer got beaten badly a couple of times---but---he did a very good job riding and steering Peppers wife of the pocket in the second half, and Carson Palmer was in sync and knew when to step up into the pocket. if I were grading Veldheer---first half C-, second half B+.

Wasn't just Peppers that toy'd with Veldheer... Perry tossed him around with amazing ease as well...

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good write Walter. :thumbup:

The one thing I wondered on the Hail Mary was wtf was Rashad doing on that play? He stood there & waited for PP to play the ball instead of jumping & helping out. I was flabbergasted by that :mad:

Both Peterson and Johnson were very tentative---I think they were worried about getting called for PI. And because the defense sold out by rushing 7, there was no man covering Janis in front of him, which would have made it harder for him to track, time his leap and catch the ball.

If they decide against the prevent the next time, I bet that they will put Fitz back as one of the 4 deep safeties. What they really need to do is stress that the edge men cannot lose contain. Even though Calais Campbell was held---his rush angle was too shallow---poor technique on his part and it would seem he was a curious choice to to play the edge in that situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Wasn't just Peppers that toy'd with Veldheer... Perry tossed him around with amazing ease as well...

Good point, 82. Perry dominated the week before at Washington too versus their prized LT Trent Williams. Perry is excellent.

People have been under-estimating the Packers on defense. That's the most talented defense they have had in years.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Added Thoughts:

Players who stepped up big-time:

C Lyle Sendelin---maybe the best game of his career---did you see his block on B.J. Raji on the key third and short run to David Johnson? Wow.

Seriously?? Sendlein, along with the entire o-line had arguably their worst game of the season. Palmer barely had enough time to say "hike", and we gained a whopping 40 yards on the ground. They got abused, as an entire unit!

DT Rodney Gunter---played hard all night.

ILB Deone Bucannon---was absolutely dynamic.

Yea, they played hard... Big deal... Gunter, along with Campbell, Rucker, Stinson and Martin got beat-up and abused by the Packers' o-line. It was a pathetic performance considering the magnitude of the game. As for Bucannon, we know he's not great in coverage, but on several occasions he, along with others, were burned by guys who barely had catches this season!

Cause for Concern?

G Mike Iupati---wonder of the shoulder is really hampering him.

G Ted Larsen---wildly inconsistent.

DT Frostee Rucker---not his usual self.

CB Justin Bethel---needs to play with more energy and bounce---never thought he would be the kind of player who would play lazy and mentally out of it at times.

FS Rashad Johnson---really slow reacting to so many plays, especially the Hail Marys that any FS should have been able to get to much earlier---am beginning to wonder whether D.J, Swearing is the better option right now. Like Rucker and iupati, Johnson appears to be hampered by injuries.

Need to add to this list:

Veldheer (hoping he bounces back to form, but over the past few weeks, he is leaking serious oil)
Campbell (I think I'm now convinced that he is simply not a pro-bowl caliber player... He's got pro-bowl ability, but he continues to disappear too often and for too long of stretches)

Frankly, aside from PP21 and Fitz, I honestly can't give out any other pats on the back... Had the ball not miraculously bounced into Floyd's hands, and/or had the flip of the coin not gone in favor of the Cards, the season would be over and we'd all be screaming bloody murder for losing this game.
Bottom line, whoever we play next will be the prohibitive favorite - as they should be. As a group, including the coaches, this team has looked bad the past 2 weeks in a row now. For two straight weeks, we have been abused at the point of attack. Palmer seems out of rhythm if not entirely lost on certain plays. The run game is gone, entirely... And Bethel is clearly not ready for prime time...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

He had 7 tackles, 0 for loss, 1 for 0 yards. No passes defensed, no sacks.

Let's not go crazy here.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That tackle he made on Kuhn, who was clearly planning to just truck him, was sensational. He lifts him off the ground and dropped him on his head, no more yardage for you, Mr. Kuhn.

Lot of great plays last night, but that is one I will certainly remember for a long time.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That tackle he made on Kuhn, who was clearly planning to just truck him, was sensational. He lifts him off the ground and dropped him on his head, no more yardage for you, Mr. Kuhn.

Lot of great plays last night, but that is one I will certainly remember for a long time.

Kuhn got a first down on that play.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just for the record — it was a successful play. Lots of style, but the Packers won that round. :shrug:

I am sure Kuhn and the Packers are just ecstatic over that play. Good for them.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line, whoever we play next will be the prohibitive favorite - as they should be. As a group, including the coaches, this team has looked bad the past 2 weeks in a row now. For two straight weeks, we have been abused at the point of attack. Palmer seems out of rhythm if not entirely lost on certain plays. The run game is gone, entirely... And Bethel is clearly not ready for prime time...
+1

Out of the remaining 4 teams we have to be ranked 4th based on how we are playing. Zero pass rush, Oline extremely inconsistent and CP's finger is affecting his throws..

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If Bucannon is going to take a step forward at LB, he is going to have to put on weight. He is not physical enough to anchor and gets rolled multiple times each game. If he can get to 225lbs, he might be the guy we want him to be.

Our defensive line showed it needed another playmaker last night. Campbell is just too finesse without another player on the line who can disrupt.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1

Out of the remaining 4 teams we have to be ranked 4th based on how we are playing. Zero pass rush, Oline extremely inconsistent and CP's finger is affecting his throws..

In other words, we are exactly where we are going to be the most comfortable going forward. It is actually a break for us, IMO, that we are going to get to play the "No respect, we are being written off" card this week. Our guys will thrive on that.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Early line - Carolina -3.5, 48 over/under. Sounds about right to me.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Another game for the ages. Can we expect any less of these two teams in the playoffs?!

We'll need to start off faster to not go into that good night in Carolina.