AYTON TRADED!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nurkic playing in 21 more games than Ayton is a surprise. I believed Nurk would play more than he did in Portland since we aren't tanking and his injuries seemed more of the fluke type injuries, believe he had a broken leg one year, compared to the more chronic issues like Beal suffers. Nurkic also seemed to drop weight before coming here, which I'm sure helped his overall durability.

As bad as this season has been, if Nurkic only played in 49 of the 74 games so far then we'd probably be where the Warriors or Rockets are in the playoff race.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Idk if this has been mentioned already, but listened to a Kleen podcast from may 24? this morning about JJ and Ayton. In summary something like this:

After the finals season, Monty wanted Ayton gone.
JJ didn't want to trade him, and totally dropped the ball to see why the team wanted to move on from Ayton, and cited that Turner and Sabonis were there for the taking.

I guess my thoughts are that JJ was thinking there was still hope in hanging on to Ayton, but maybe did not see how Ayton was becoming a headcase.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Idk if this has been mentioned already, but listened to a Kleen podcast from may 24? this morning about JJ and Ayton. In summary something like this:

JJ didn't want to trade him, and totally dropped the ball to see why the team wanted to move on from Ayton, and cited that Turner and Sabonis were there for the taking.

I guess my thoughts are that JJ was thinking there was still hope in hanging on to Ayton, but maybe did not see how Ayton was becoming a headcase.

JJ is the same idiot who let the Crowder issue fester for 7-8 months. That he thought Ayton would turn things around or the situation would improve isn't surprising. It should have been clear to everyone when we had Javale McGee posting near identical stats off the bench that it was the system and not the player who produced at Center for us. Ayton was a bad pick but understandable risk. Keeping him as long as we did was a mistake.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Do you think we would be better off with Luka? But we already had Booker! /sarcasm /tears

I was also hoping for the longest that Ayton would take the step, but that did not happen. Not pointing any fingers. Hope he gets a really good mattress this summer. I like the guy.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was also hoping for the longest that Ayton would take the step, but that did not happen. Not pointing any fingers. Hope he gets a really good mattress this summer. I like the guy.
I cringe every time his name pops on this message board…

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I really believe if the team wanted too it would have happened. Montie was a head case?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really believe if the team wanted too it would have happened. Montie was a head case?
Don't know if that would be my description of Monty but he definitely had issues. It appears he let things fester with a couple players and just didn't want to deal with it which is literally his job as a coach. That's outside his X's and O's problems.