article: Cards Having the Worst Season of All

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The special teams miscues, the mental lapses, the occasional game mismanagement. The insistence of greatness is beginning to look like the illusion of infallibility. It looks like arrogance.

Couldn't have said it better than this!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I disagree. I think we are 2nd worst to Carolina.

Carolina went 15-1 last year. They have the NFL MVP Cam Newton. And they start 1-5? (currently 4-6)

With Peyton retiring, it was supposed to be AZ v Carolina in a dead heat for the SB vs Tom Brady.

Its not by much, we definitely have had a horrible year, but if not for a few missed kicks, we could be 7-3, thats great.

But carolinas is worse because they fell from higher

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Totally disagree about the Cardinals having the "worst season" of any team. Stat of the day: The Cardinals lead the league in yardage differential, and it's not even close. Do they have problems, yes certainly. But don't put them in the category with the Browns whether it is the absolute worst, expected worse or whatever you want to call it.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-yards-per-game-differential/2016/

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I think the exact same article could be written about Carolina or Green Bay other than those teams didn't happen to be featured on a reality show.

I'm far from a Cardinals apologist but even at 4-5-1 it's pretty ridiculous to say they are having a worse year than an 0-11 team on the verge of joining the ranks of the very worst teams in league history.

If the Browns had proven track record of success with high draft picks then maybe I could buy the whole "everyone knew they would be bad and they just need to get the highest possible pick" nonsense, but even if they end up drafting #1 overall, what makes anyone think they will actually know what to do with that pick? Is it just assumed they are "due" for another Joe Thomas? What obvious franchise savior is sitting out there for them??

More disappointing team for sure. Failure to live up to expectations always breeds disappointment, however making the leap to saying that is somehow a worse fan scenario than supporting a loser of historic proportions just because it was expected is pretty damn stupid.

All that said, I can honestly say I'd never have envisioned myself defending this Cardinals team's .450 record.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if not for a few missed kicks, we could be 7-3, thats great.

Holy crap I can't believe some of you still live in fantasy land. Kicking is part of the game. So much so that we are a sub .500 team. That's the reality. Stop these insane comments. They make you look foolish. There is no alternate reality where the cardinals are 7-3.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think y'all are missing the gist of the article. It shouldn't say worst year, it should say most disappointing year. And I think that's accurate. When you know you're bad and you're really bad it's a short drop. When you think you're the king and you're really a pauper it's a lot bigger drop.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
The gist of the article is that it's worse to be a Cardinals fan this year than a Browns fan because of expectations. I think that is going way too far, but ok if you are going to go there include Carolina and GB in that discussion as well. Plenty of people were picking those teams to win the NFC and even the SB.

He's basically saying because the Cardinals were featured in a reality TV series we should feel worse than any other team's fans about our team's performance this year which is nonsense. The actual reality of the situation is that the Cardinals are just another mediocre team in a league full of mediocre teams. It's not that dramatic.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Holy crap I can't believe some of you still live in fantasy land. Kicking is part of the game. So much so that we are a sub .500 team. That's the reality. Stop these insane comments. They make you look foolish. There is no alternate reality where the cardinals are 7-3.

Im aware. Im not a "if not for" type person.

My point was we didnt get blown out 47-3 in every game. We are competitive and are losing close games; unlike say the Browns, who do get blown out every game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

My point was we didnt get blown out 47-3 in every game. We are competitive and are losing close games; unlike say the Browns, who do get blown out every game.

I don't know how you can continue to make factual statements without actually checking your facts:

Browns losses by 7 points or fewer: 4
Cardinals losses by 7 points fewer: 4

Magical thinking and speculative fiction runs rampant on this board right now in a way that I don't understand. We have 4 wins; half of them were against San Francisco. That's the reality.

Carson Palmer had 2 drives to lead the Cards to a tie score in the 4th quarter, including one that began in Minnesota territory. Those drives netted -14 yards. That's the reality.

The Cards had one of the easiest schedules in the league through 11 weeks and mustered a losing record. That's the reality.

This is a bad football team.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
After being the Browns more or less for decades, I will take the disappointment of a season that was supposed to be great, but turned out to be a nightmare over being a team that has no chance, and never will. All day, everyday.

Yes, the 2016 Cardinals are a bad team. Yet, in 2015, and 2014 they were not, and in order to have the disappointment of 2016 you have to have the fun in 2015, and 2014.

I would not want to give that up.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

That's so irrelevant. A loss is a loss. You comparing us to the Browns, who are freaking winless, doesn't help matters.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards are 4-5-1. We can agree on that, right? OK, so let's test the missed kick theory:

Cat makes the kick vs NE: Now we're 5-4-1 right now. Agreed? Let's move on.

Cat makes the chip shot that clangs off the goalpost. Now we're 6-4. Agreed?

We don't allow a long punt return against L.A. which resulted in their winning FG: We're 7-3

Take away the INT for a TD and the 104 yard kickoff return last week and all of a sudden we're 8-2

Really. That's a few big plays in 4 games that could have gone our way. It isn't a fantasy, it's reality, in an if's and buts world. We're still a top 10 offensive team this season. This season we're not getting the breaks where last season we did. THAT is reality. It happens. Life will go on.

Last edited:

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After being the Browns more or less for decades, I will take the disappointment of a season that was supposed to be great, but turned out to be a nightmare over being a team that has no chance, and never will. All day, everyday.

Yes, the 2016 Cardinals are a bad team. Yet, in 2015, and 2014 they were not, and in order to have the disappointment of 2016 you have to have the fun in 2015, and 2014.

I would not want to give that up.

You pretty much described the Cards from 1988-2008. 20 years of futility where you can count on 1 finger the number of winning seasons we had in that time period. I don't ever want to see that again.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Cards are 4-5-1. We can agree on that, right? OK, so let's test the missed kick theory:

We don't allow a long punt return against L.A. which resulted in their winning FG: We're 7-3

Take away the INT for a TD and the 104 yard kickoff return last week and all of a sudden we're 8-2

Really. That's a few big plays in 4 games that could have gone our way. It isn't a fantasy, it's reality, in an if's and buts world. We're still a top 10 offensive team this season. This season we're not getting the breaks where last season we did. THAT is reality. It happens. Life will go on.

I hear you but Cat wears a Cardinal jersey and it's a team sport. The Cardinals missed those field goals. That kick off return for a TD and other special teams blunders have also lead to points or the inability to score and the guys on special teams wear Cardinal jerseys too and are part of what comprises a major facet of the game. That int for a TD was not Palmer's or Brown's fault when he was held on a timing route but that was a play the coach did not have to call and he is our coach. We have not been good enough to pay attention to detail and have not been consistent, the Cardinals have not in a game of inches while last year we were a winning team that did

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
How is this not Green Bay? They won the SB five years ago and were being spoken of like a potential dynasty in the making with one of the greatest QB's ever and now they're in shambles. The Cards haven't won jack sh*t.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
How is this not Green Bay? They won the SB five years ago and were being spoken of like a potential dynasty in the making with one of the greatest QB's ever and now they're in shambles. The Cards haven't won jack sh*t.
The only thing they've won recently is the attention of bandwagon fans...who have since jumped ship.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Can't cherry pick it. Lots of plays set up the plays you speak of. We are what our record says we are. I can look at a few plays that also make us 3-7 or even 2-8.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Can't cherry pick it. Lots of plays set up the plays you speak of. We are what our record says we are. I can look at a few plays that also make us 3-7 or even 2-8.
I'm just making the point, as I stated in the quoted post, that the past few seasons we were getting the breaks and this season we aren't. Those plays you speak of put us in a position to win a few games this season but all it takes is 1 or 2 plays. I can point to a few games last season that we could have lost but things went our way. This season is different. It happens and it's not the end of the world.