NFL Player Team Report Cards 2024

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't think it does, not even a little.

It's like Miss World, they are all hot, but there is still a first and a last.

There are a hundred more important things that go into a players decision than how nice the weight room is. The first of which is money, the 2nd is money, the 3rd is money. All the way through 50 is money.
Yes, but at some point money is the same. If you're competing with Kansas City for a free agent and willing to pay equally, how much better would your facilities have to be?

For someone EXTREMELY CONCERNED about future cap flexibility, dismissing all players as purely mercenary seems an odd choice.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There are a hundred more important things that go into a players decision than how nice the weight room is. The first of which is money, the 2nd is money, the 3rd is money. All the way through 50 is money.
Not true at all. Money isn't the only factor for many players. In addition, when money is in the same ballpark, other factors DO matter.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, but at some point money is the same. If you're competing with Kansas City for a free agent and willing to pay equally, how much better would your facilities have to be?

For someone EXTREMELY CONCERNED about future cap flexibility, dismissing all players as purely mercenary seems an odd choice.

Not purely mercenary. I said there are 100 more important things and 50 of them are money.

It goes something like this.

APY
Guarantees
Contract length
Have I worked with the coaches before and know the scheme?
Do they have a good QB?
Can they challenge in the division?
What's the unit like I'll be working with?
Where is it? Is it near family? Is the weather good? Is it a good city to live? How long is the flight home?
Do I know any players there?

And probably a dozen more things far more important than is the Gym fancy or just normal.

Ain't any player ever going to say "where did they come on the NFLPA report?"

CT Card Fan

Registered
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Interesting that a D+ for Treatment of Families was good for 19th overall or essentially a few spots away from the median. Either NFL players have high expectations in this category or as a whole teams are doing a pretty lousy job in this regard, maybe a little of both.

This is not meant to excuse the Cards, just found it interesting for comparison sake with say Head Coach, where an A- puts you just a shade on the plus side of the median.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Interesting that a D+ for Treatment of Families was good for 19th overall or essentially a few spots away from the median. Either NFL players have high expectations in this category or as a whole teams are doing a pretty lousy job in this regard, maybe a little of both.

This is not meant to excuse the Cards, just found it interesting for comparison sake with say Head Coach, where an A- puts you just a shade on the plus side of the median.
Yup. I think that's a place where the NFLPA is quietly pressuring teams to GIT in a way that won't impact the cap but provide meaningful lifestyle benefits to their membership.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't think it does, not even a little.

It's like Miss World, they are all hot, but there is still a first and a last.

Byron Murphy literally stated that the Vikings facility was a huge draw. Maybe it's different over in England than here, but these young guys really do want to feel like they are a part of a top flight organization. Some of the top college programs have markedly better facilities that the worst NFL teams do. It matters.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Byron Murphy literally stated that the Vikings facility was a huge draw. Maybe it's different over in England than here, but these young guys really do want to feel like they are a part of a top flight organization. Some of the top college programs have markedly better facilities that the worst NFL teams do. It matters.
It's not different in England. Case in point is my team Newcastle United. A top league club who, under the old miserly ownership, literally had players icing themselves in garbage cans and inflatable pools outside. Weirdly enough, it was hard to sign players for more than just money reasons.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's not different in England. Case in point is my team Newcastle United. A top league club who, under the old miserly ownership, literally had players icing themselves in garbage cans and inflatable pools outside. Weirdly enough, it was hard to sign players for more than just money reasons.
I figured it wasn't. He's being incredibly obtuse on this topic.

Dan Bickley's article on the topic was pretty awful. He essentially argued that because that the Chiefs are winning because of the austere setting...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But they’re still a second tier club. Sad!

#cityzens

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Byron didn't see that until after he signed. That was pure new signing speak for the fans.

His first visit to the Vikings facility was on March 16th after agreeing a deal on the 14th.

Prior to that the only thing Vikings he'd seen was the away dressing room at US Bank Stadium in 2022 when we played them. And that looks like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I figured it wasn't. He's being incredibly obtuse on this topic.

Dan Bickley's article on the topic was pretty awful. He essentially argued that because that the Chiefs are winning because of the austere setting...

I'm not obtuse. It's just obvious nonsense.

There are so many more important things to consider before NFLPA grades that there is just no way they ever come into play.

It's like one of us getting offered a job. It's great money. You like the boss. You like some of the guys your going to work with. You think the company is going places. Then you find out the cafeteria only serves vegan meals and you turn it down.

It just doesn't happen. And we can circle back to this after FA and discuss all the good players that sign for teams in the bottom 3rd of the NFLPA list.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

There are so many more important things to consider before NFLPA grades that there is just no way they ever come into play.

It's like one of us getting offered a job. It's great money. You like the boss. You like some of the guys your going to work with. You think the company is going places. Then you find out the cafeteria only serves vegan meals and you turn it down.

It just doesn't happen. And we can circle back to this after FA and discuss all the good players that sign for teams in the bottom 3rd of the NFLPA list.
Yeah it’s more like you are offered money, the office dingy and in disrepair, the owner of the business has a terrible reputation, the business has been one of the worst competitors in the industry for years, all of the benefit packages are much worse than their competitors, but there’s a guy there that may manage you that you think you might like, at least for a couple years, maybe more, but he’s relatively new at his job and could be replaced while you’re still under contract, and a large number of current and former employees have rated it a terrible place to work.

Your analogy fails miserably when actually fully played out pragmatically.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah it’s more like you are offered money, the office dingy and in disrepair, the owner of the business has a terrible reputation, the business has been one of the worst competitors in the industry for years, all of the benefit packages are much worse than their competitors, but there’s a guy there that may manage you that you think you might like, at least for a couple years, maybe more, but he’s relatively new at his job and could be replaced while you’re still under contract, and a large number of current and former employees have rated it a terrible place to work.

Exactly.

If I were picking a job and the coaching staff and money was similar, I would definitely pick the place that had the better amenities. Players talk and they know these things.

Living in Phoenix is a pretty big draw for a lot of people, but players do care about the day-to-day amenities. If they didn't, you wouldn't see Oregon and Alabama spend so much money to offer their players top notch facilities.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

This stuff even matters in the US Army! When we reenlist, all of us want to go to bases with newer facilities and more amenities.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This stuff even matters in the US Army! When we reenlist, all of us want to go to bases with newer facilities and more amenities.
I mean, most people (even pro athletes) spend a TON of their lives at work. To pretend their surroundings are a nothingburger is just excuse making at the highest level.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean, most people (even pro athletes) spend a TON of their lives at work. To pretend their surroundings are a nothingburger is just excuse making at the highest level.
This time next year, I'll be in the civilian work force again, and quality of life is going to be my #1 priority since I'll be collecting my pension and VA benefits.

I probably agree with @BritCard more than most posters on this board do, but I think he's way off here.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Exactly.

If I were picking a job and the coaching staff and money was similar, I would definitely pick the place that had the better amenities. Players talk and they know these things.

Living in Phoenix is a pretty big draw for a lot of people, but players do care about the day-to-day amenities. If they didn't, you wouldn't see Oregon and Alabama spend so much money to offer their players top notch facilities.

Oregon and Alabama have to compete with 50 schools for top player, most of which don't get paid, and until recently never got paid. That's why they have great facilities.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Of course you do! You're getting paid the same money to do the same job either way. So facilities are literally the only differential, and of course you want the better ones.

If you got paid more to go to a base with 7 facilities than a base that had 9 facilities you would chose the 7. If the 7 had a 3 hour flight home and the 9 had a 6 hour flight home you would chose the 7. If the 7 was Italy and the 9 was in Qatar you would chose the 7.

As I said, this is easy to prove, we can just circle back post free agency and look at all the players that signed for bottom 3rd NLPFA report teams.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Well said.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Of course you do! You're getting paid the same money to do the same job either way. So facilities are literally the only differential, and of course you want the better ones.

If you got paid more to go to a base with 7 facilities than a base that had 9 facilities you would chose the 7. If the 7 had a 3 hour flight home and the 9 had a 6 hour flight home you would chose the 7. If the 7 was Italy and the 9 was in Qatar you would chose the 7.

As I said, this is easy to prove, we can just circle back post free agency and look at all the players that signed for bottom 3rd NLPFA report teams.
Right....so if team A has poor facilities and equal coaching staff and equal pay to team B who has nice facilities, which team is the player usually going to pick?

This isn't arcane. You're acting like this is a personal grievance. Mikey needs to do better. We all pay for this team and to see that they even allowed crap like a torn up floor is ********.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson