Arizona Wildcats Football [2015]

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yup.

So who will be Arizona's coach next year? :D

I just want someone who keeps their mouth shut, recruits, and focuses on winning football games not social media. The TV evangelist kool-aiding by Graham and the constant YouTube videos and catchphrases by Rodriguez have gotten old even if they were actually winning championships (which they're not and not even that close either).

Give me a David Shaw, Mark Dantonio, or Gary Patterson type coach and mentor and let the mediocre programs fight it out over hashtags, nicknames, and Periscope accounts.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I agree. Someone who doesn't spazz out on the sideline. When the last time we had a normal coach like MTFC mentioned? Tomey??

I think we're in for some down years we've survived it before.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Good fight, but as always, talent discrepancy + injuries = outmatched

TJ

Reaction score
And bonehead mistakes by head coach / QB.

I think the worst mistake made was going for it at midfield. Anu was not perfect, but did enough to put the team in contention to win the game. His interception was because Kern ran the wrong route. 14 point swing there, IMO.

Hard to do much when Baker can't break a tackle and establish a respectable run game. 60 yards rushing for a team whose offense is predicated on running out of the spread. Nick Wilson is sorely must, about as much as Scooby

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think the worst mistake made was going for it at midfield. Anu was not perfect, but did enough to put the team in contention to win the game. His interception was because Kern ran the wrong route. 14 point swing there, IMO.

Hard to do much when Baker can't break a tackle and establish a respectable run game. 60 yards rushing for a team whose offense is predicated on running out of the spread. Nick Wilson is sorely must, about as much as Scooby

Kern saw Anu roll to the right so he changed his direction. It's what any pass catcher is taught to do. Anu didn't catch the adjustment and threw across his body to the middle of the field. You just can't do that.

Mistakes in real time happen but the 4th down call was worse because it was planned. On a quick draw that requires a perfect snap with a terrible center? Horrible.

TJ

Reaction score
RichRod is 4-0 vs. Utah
RichRod has taken out a Top-10 teams four seasons in a row
RichRod is 4/4 in taking Arizona to a bowl game

This win doesnt validate the season, but it sure as hell gives it a silver lining.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a shocker!!! Bear Down Cats!!!

The Pac-12 is a ruin this year.

TJ

Reaction score
What a shocker!!! Bear Down Cats!!!

The Pac-12 is a ruin this year.

I was fairly confident in this one. After UW, I was convinced the team quit d/t the coaching rumors. When they came out against USC and nearly pulled it off in LA, I felt the team was still playing as hard as it could and that UW was an aberration.

Also, RichRod owns Utah and beats Top-10 teams every season, so....

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great win but if Anu and Wilson can't play vs ASU, they have no chance at a win against the Devils.

TJ

Reaction score
On our 6th middle LB SMH.

Jake Matthew will be out for ASU with a lisfranc injury.

I know it seems like Scooby is pulling a Gronk, but it'd be nice if he were to give it a go on Saturday.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The defenses played their butts off in the 2nd half. I was very happy to see that. Having Scooby back would be great but he should probably leave.

Offense will be fine whether RR is here or not. I don't imagine a new HC completely changing everything. I really like Dawkin's running ability.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rich Rod kinda acted like this was his last Territorial Cup game. What do you guys think, is he out the door or what?

TJ

Reaction score
Rich Rod kinda acted like this was his last Territorial Cup game. What do you guys think, is he out the door or what?

Where's he going to go?

He's not in the Top 3 for Va Tech

WVU wont take him back.

The assistant AD at South Carolina was at Michigan when RichRod was there, and she was punished when the team was sanctioned by the NCAA. Why would she feel comfortable being with RichRod again?

Miami is a death sentence. Those cokehead boosters stuck in the 90s and early 2000s are going to expect a coach to come in and win now. Not RichRod's style.

I guess Maryland might be an option, but unless they money-whip him, why would RichRod go there?

RichRod's market value is greatly overexaggerated when you consider that a) he still has the stench of the UM/WVU fiasco linger and b) he hasn't won big yet at Arizona. Most of the articles you've seen are click bait as RichRod is still a recognizable name in the coaching ranks and is very well networked.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK then TJ, I'll take your word for it. It just seems like every time I turn on the radio, there is Rich Rod to Va Tech buzz, bla bla bla.

TJ

Reaction score
OK then TJ, I'll take your word for it. It just seems like every time I turn on the radio, there is Rich Rod to Va Tech buzz, bla bla bla.

Don't get me wrong, he was (is?) interested; but Fedora, Fuente, and Chad Morris are in the Top 3.

Frankly, the Phoenix/ASU media is going to make sure this thing cycles for as long as it can to damage UofA's reputation and harm its ability to recruit. Example, the Scott Bordow article that came out last weekend as soon as all of the chatter started to quiet down. The same day that Greg Hansen reported that two people in the AD confirmed with him that Rodriguez is staying.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Modster is a beautiful passer. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2706747/highlights/285948473/v2

Is he coming early?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, he was (is?) interested; but Fedora, Fuente, and Chad Morris are in the Top 3.

Frankly, the Phoenix/ASU media is going to make sure this thing cycles for as long as it can to damage UofA's reputation and harm its ability to recruit. Example, the Scott Bordow article that came out last weekend as soon as all of the chatter started to quiet down. The same day that Greg Hansen reported that two people in the AD confirmed with him that Rodriguez is staying.
Partially true that for whatever reason the Phoenix media is really keen on pushing the Rich Rod to _______ agenda. However Rodriguez himself has used several openings over last few years to leverage a new raise or other thing at Arizona. I think he knows it's basically impossible to win big at a program like UA so I have no issues with him keeping an eye out for bigger jobs.

However UA probably has no interest in going through this song and dance every offseason. With Miller it's known - he'd consider leaving for UNC or Duke or Kansas or the NBA but that's it. No stressing unless one of those jobs come open. If he elects to go I'm not going to lose a tremendous amount of sleep over it as long as Byrne is in the fold.

Personally I just want a coach who's quiet (no more hashtags and youtube videos), understands the Arizona job and it's strengths and limitations (let ASU fans delude themselves into pipe dreams that they can win a national title), and has a short list of places they'd go but ultimately wants to build a successful program.

Last edited:

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Partially true that for whatever reason the Phoenix media is really keen on pushing the Rich Rod to _______ agenda. However Rodriguez himself has used several openings over last few years to leverage a new raise or other thing at Arizona. I think he knows it's basically impossible to win big at a program like UA so I have no issues with him keeping an eye out for bigger jobs.

However UA probably has no interest in going through this song and dance every offseason. With Miller it's known - he'd consider leaving for UNC or Duke or Kansas or the NBA but that's it. No stressing unless one of those jobs come open. If he elects to go I'm not going to lose a tremendous amount of sleep over it as long as Byrne is in the fold.

Personally I just want a coach who's quiet (no more hashtags and youtube videos), understands the Arizona job and it's strengths and limitations (let ASU fans delude themselves into pipe dreams that they can win a national title), and has a short list of places they'd go but ultimately wants to build a successful program.

Good points, fair enough.

Although the high expectations approach didn't pan out this year for ASU, it will pay dividends in the long run. Our returning players will work even harder now in the offseason, and hopefully the coaches will do so as well with their planning and their recruiting. We have already seen some very positive signs in the in State recruiting.

There is a lot of support behind the "high expectations" approach to achievement in general. I think it carries over to sports and football as well. If you set high goals, you may not always achieve them. But there's a good chance you will end up achieving more than you would have with lesser standards.

The flip side philosophy is learning to be content with your situation no matter what, don't expect great things, and you will not be disappointed and have greater peace. I like some aspects of this school of thought, especially the contentment and peace parts. But it is not the way to go for a competitive football team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson