Arizona Wildcats Football [2015]

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a fine line between setting high expectations and having your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash.

I am sure that winning the Territorial Cup was on the list of "high expectations" for both ASU and UofA the last 4 years, so....

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Partially true that for whatever reason the Phoenix media is really keen on pushing the Rich Rod to _______ agenda. However Rodriguez himself has used several openings over last few years to leverage a new raise or other thing at Arizona. I think he knows it's basically impossible to win big at a program like UA so I have no issues with him keeping an eye out for bigger jobs.

However UA probably has no interest in going through this song and dance every offseason. With Miller it's known - he'd consider leaving for UNC or Duke or Kansas or the NBA but that's it. No stressing unless one of those jobs come open. If he elects to go I'm not going to lose a tremendous amount of sleep over it as long as Byrne is in the fold.

Personally I just want a coach who's quiet (no more hashtags and youtube videos), understands the Arizona job and it's strengths and limitations (let ASU fans delude themselves into pipe dreams that they can win a national title), and has a short list of places they'd go but ultimately wants to build a successful program.

Problem with conservative recruiting tactics is that both Arizona schools have no success to fall back on. Saban and Meyer can walk into a recruit's house, lay a few championship rings on the coffee table, and say, "want one of these?" To compensate, Arizona is almost forced to use things like social media and videos to peak the curiosity of some recruits. Following some of these recruits, they have an almost unhealthy obsession with social media; whether it be Twitter, YouTube, Vine, etc. If you're trying to get their attention, might as well play into their wheel house. At least Rodriguez doesn't use a "Boom Copter"

If richrod leaves, we need a coach with west coast ties and great relationships with Arizona and SoCal highschools.

Last edited:

TJ

Reaction score
Please tell me the 3-3-5 is out.

Hope so, but wouldn't count on it. I hope we get a DC who's willing to hit the recruiting trail. Casteel didnt do any recruiting.

IMO, talent > scheme. Even the Cardinals have a few 3-3-5 packages and play it well.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From what I could see the scheme wasn't a problem last year. They constantly had defenders in positions to make plays, we just had crap defenders out there who couldn't cover or tackle anyone.

TJ

Reaction score
Arizona just made two homerun hires on defense--taking Donte Williams from SJSU as a position coach and Marcel Yates from Boise St.

This is big because a) Yates runs a 4-2-5 and has had legit Top-25 FBS ranked defenses and b) both Yates and Williams are well-respected in California and are terrific recruiters. As a matter of fact, guys not even committed to SJSU were astounded by the move by Williams.

Casteel and co. did very little in terms of recruiting on defense. The pendulum just swung the other way, and now, arguably the Top 3 recruiters on the team are on the defensive side of the ball (Addae, Williams, and Yates).

Not sure if this will provide immediate ROI, but it's good to know that RichRod recognized the obvious deficiency and did something about it, even if it meant saying goodbye to a long-time friend.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave