Arizona Cardinals' QBs Present and Future

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Most likely true. But, then again, BA can say with a straight face that he thinks he can win a SB with Stanton. So who knows?

Keim is the decision maker. He knows that the qb situation must be addressed in the off season. We can't count on Palmer per his injury and age.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RB:

* Andre Ellington. The more Sir Juke was getting banged up the more the Cardinals' offense started to sputter. Losing Jonathan Dwyer and the touches he was supposed to get per game was tough on Ellington. It seems reasonable to assume moving forward that Ellington cannot be a work horse RB---and if the Cardinals add a work house RB this off-season, it would allow BA to use The Juke in the diversified role he thrived in as a rookie. BA claims that Ellington is as good a receiver and route runner as any player on the team. Working Ellington more out of the slot could be a real boon for the Cardinals' productivity. But there's no question about it: as Sir Juke goes, so goes the Cardinals' offense.

* Stepfan Taylor. BA's reluctance to increase Taylor's role in the offense, particularly after Dwyer was cut is telling in the sense that BA would prefer a more dynamic RB. Taylor is a blue collar RB who plays hard and steadily. He's a good blocker and he doesn't fumble. He improved his speed and agility this year, but is still slower than the coaches prefer. However, Taylor is solid on STs and is an all-around, steady player. Nonetheless, Taylor may have to beat out Robert Hughes for the #4 RB slot next year, assuming a work horse RB is added.

* Robert Hughes. Was raved about in camp by BA for his versatility, his blocking and his uncanny pass receiving skills, and yet has been vastly under-utilized in the offense. When Hughes has been called upon he has delivered in spades. The questions are: why doesn't BA throw to him more and why isn't Hughes used as the power RB when the team needs to run between the tackles? Hughes is just as fast, if not faster than Taylor---and he's more rugged.

* Marion Grice. The Cardinals like his versatility, as evidenced by the times he is being used as a slot WR. There is real talent here. Could he become a lead RB? The fact that Taylor is getting the touches at RB right now would suggest not. However, if Grice has a Stevie Breaston like 2nd year burst, Grice might become quite a factor.

* Kerwynn Williams. What a diamond in the rough this kid appears to be. He gets after it---hits the whole hard, does not go down on first contact and has a nice burst in space. Gutsy, quick and gritty. While it would be unlikely for him to ever be the work horse RB, he could be the change of pace RB when BA wants to use Ellington more in the slot.

Many of the early mock drafts have the Cardinals taking a RB in the late portion of Round 1---the three names that pop up most are Todd Gurley, T.J. Yelton and Melvin Gordon.

If the Cardinals can take care of the defensive needs in FA---then one of those three RBs might make sense.

I can answer the questions Hughes. BA likes to save plays for key situations, he does it with the TE's, and he does it with Hughes. If you use him too much, teams start to look for it and then it doesn't work when you really need it.

Seattle was sitting on our "other" Te in 2nd half of the game Sun night, they figured out that's what we were trying to do.

As for short yardage, Hughes has had a couple of shots and failed, he has 6 carrries all year, for 6 yards. He has a run of 3, two runs of 2, a lost 1 yard run and 2 no gain carries. He's just not done anything with his carries.

I like what I've seen of Williams, he's been our best RB this year admittedly in limited viewing. I'm not impressed with Grice, runs out of bounds, goes down too easily and has the lowest YPC of any of the 4 RB's, and his vaunted pass receiving skill hasn't shown up yet, although he does look comfortable out there running routes.

I'd hate to spend an early pick on a RB if we can get a guy in FA.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RB:

Many of the early mock drafts have the Cardinals taking a RB in the late portion of Round 1---the three names that pop up most are Todd Gurley, T.J. Yelton and Melvin Gordon.

If the Cardinals can take care of the defensive needs in FA---then one of those three RBs might make sense.

I think only Gordon will go in the first round. Cards could get a decent rb in round 2 or 3. Will have a better feel after the Bowl Games & Combine.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
What a treat this season has been thus far! I am so excited about the present and future of this team, the coaches, the administrators and the ownership! I have to pinch myself when I think that here we are one year removed from missing the playoffs with a 10-6 record, tied for the best record in the NFC at 11-4 having gone 4-0 versus the NFC East, 3-1 versus the AFC West, 3-2 versus the NFC West, 7-1 at home and 4-3 on the road! We are in the dance! And with our coaches and resilient, highly motivated players---there is always a chance!

Today I wish to start with the present and future QB situation.

* Carson Palmer (6-0). Was flourishing in the offense---especially this year in converting third downs. Even though he was signed to an extension, it seemed a little odd that after he tore his ACL he mentioned how that could affect his status with the organization. Seems odd too how little involved he has remained with the team, especially with younger QBs needing support. Darnell Dockett embraced a leadership role on the sidelines. Palmer, not so much. Why?

The hope likely will be that Palmer can be fully recovered by training camp and then pick up where he left off this past season---but will BA&SK want to add a QB in 2015 to challenge Palmer?

It's been consistently reported that Palmer has been a steady presence at the training facility. Not sure why he isn't on the sidelines now, other than perhaps they don't want to run the risk of him getting hit and reinjured...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
RB:

* Marion Grice. The Cardinals like his versatility, as evidenced by the times he is being used as a slot WR. There is real talent here. Could he become a lead RB? The fact that Taylor is getting the touches at RB right now would suggest not. However, if Grice has a Stevie Breaston like 2nd year burst, Grice might become quite a factor.

Good Lord... Grice is a great kid... But that's where the accolades should cease and anyone even hinting of the chance for him to become a "lead RB" in the NFL needs to do some serious additional research. Grice will never be a lead back. He'll do well to simply maintain a spot off a practice team for the balance of his career, as short as it will be.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I can answer the questions Hughes. BA likes to save plays for key situations, he does it with the TE's, and he does it with Hughes. If you use him too much, teams start to look for it and then it doesn't work when you really need it.

Seattle was sitting on our "other" Te in 2nd half of the game Sun night, they figured out that's what we were trying to do.

As for short yardage, Hughes has had a couple of shots and failed, he has 6 carrries all year, for 6 yards. He has a run of 3, two runs of 2, a lost 1 yard run and 2 no gain carries. He's just not done anything with his carries.

I like what I've seen of Williams, he's been our best RB this year admittedly in limited viewing. I'm not impressed with Grice, runs out of bounds, goes down too easily and has the lowest YPC of any of the 4 RB's, and his vaunted pass receiving skill hasn't shown up yet, although he does look comfortable out there running routes.

I'd hate to spend an early pick on a RB if we can get a guy in FA.

Hughes' carries have all been from the FB position on 3rd and 1s (the majority of which have been successful in moving the chains---and thus you are citing a misleading stat)---what I was talking about was having him run between the tackles from the RB position, so he can get some momentum going.

While I get your theory of saving Hughes and the TEs for special situations, in Hughes' case, if he is the best receiving RB on the roster, why not use him more in that capacity? I don't get why BA doesn't.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hughes' carries have all been from the FB position on 3rd and 1s (the majority of which have been successful in moving the chains---and thus you are citing a misleading stat)---what I was talking about was having him run between the tackles from the RB position, so he can get some momentum going.

While I get your theory of saving Hughes and the TEs for special situations, in Hughes' case, if he is the best receiving RB on the roster, why not use him more in that capacity? I don't get why BA doesn't.

He's got 3 first downs in 6 carries and all of them came on our side of the 50 yard line. he's not a classic banger short yardage guy he runs high.

I think he's a good receiver but more as a surprise guy, he's faster than people expect so they don't pay much attention to him and then he gets a good gain on a catch.

I agree his carries have come from the FB spot for the most part but I don't think that hampers him, when he's in, there is a RB behind him and most people are expecting the RB to get the ball, not him. There's the element of surprise there that other short yardage RB's aren't getting.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think only Gordon will go in the first round. Cards could get a decent rb in round 2 or 3. Will have a better feel after the Bowl Games & Combine.

Randy "Duke" Johnson, U of Miami RB.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the Cards can wait to see if Palmer responds to his injury.

I think Glennon would be a great addition and I also believe Stanton should be kept as our #3.

Have we learned nothing from this year? If Palmer doesn't return to 100% we would have a qb competition which I believe Glennon would win and Staton would remain the #2.

With BASK I believe we will have a solution way before camp opens.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
RB:

* Andre Ellington. The more Sir Juke was getting banged up the more the Cardinals' offense started to sputter. Losing Jonathan Dwyer and the touches he was supposed to get per game was tough on Ellington. It seems reasonable to assume moving forward that Ellington cannot be a work horse RB---and if the Cardinals add a work house RB this off-season, it would allow BA to use The Juke in the diversified role he thrived in as a rookie. BA claims that Ellington is as good a receiver and route runner as any player on the team. Working Ellington more out of the slot could be a real boon for the Cardinals' productivity. But there's no question about it: as Sir Juke goes, so goes the Cardinals' offense.

* Stepfan Taylor. BA's reluctance to increase Taylor's role in the offense, particularly after Dwyer was cut is telling in the sense that BA would prefer a more dynamic RB. Taylor is a blue collar RB who plays hard and steadily. He's a good blocker and he doesn't fumble. He improved his speed and agility this year, but is still slower than the coaches prefer. However, Taylor is solid on STs and is an all-around, steady player. Nonetheless, Taylor may have to beat out Robert Hughes for the #4 RB slot next year, assuming a work horse RB is added.

* Robert Hughes. Was raved about in camp by BA for his versatility, his blocking and his uncanny pass receiving skills, and yet has been vastly under-utilized in the offense. When Hughes has been called upon he has delivered in spades. The questions are: why doesn't BA throw to him more and why isn't Hughes used as the power RB when the team needs to run between the tackles? Hughes is just as fast, if not faster than Taylor---and he's more rugged.

* Kerwynn Williams. What a diamond in the rough this kid appears to be. He gets after it---hits the whole hard, does not go down on first contact and has a nice burst in space. Gutsy, quick and gritty. While it would be unlikely for him to ever be the work horse RB, he could be the change of pace RB when BA wants to use Ellington more in the slot.

Look up Tevin Coleman from Indiana. After Gurley, he's the best back in the draft and I'm a huge Yeldon fan.

I would be okay with any of(in order) Gurley, Coleman, Yeldon, Gordon in either of the first 2 rounds.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't believe the Cards can wait to see if Palmer responds to his injury.

I think Glennon would be a great addition and I also believe Stanton should be kept as our #3.

Have we learned nothing from this year? If Palmer doesn't return to 100% we would have a qb competition which I believe Glennon would win and Staton would remain the #2.

With BASK I believe we will have a solution way before camp opens.

Yup - I think you are right on both counts - he need a QB for next season assuming Palmer is slow to return AND I think BASK will have this addressed in time. Keim is learning a lot this year :)

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch-----Now that BA has reversed himself and named Lindley to start over Thomas against the 'Niners, I have a hunch Lindley will surprise a bunch of us. I say that because, as Darkside so aptly pointed out in another post, Lindley does know the progression trees for our passing routes, (which are the complicated parts of BA's play book). Even Fitzgerald has trouble keeping them straight.

My thoughts are, that Thomas, (big gun and all), was in no way close to understanding the complexity of this passing scheme. Only Lindley on this roster has (some) command of it. With all the turmoil in San Francisco. And with their many injury losses. And with Kaepernic spraying the ball all over the place, (Lindley like). I think that BA believes that Lindley provides the ONLY hope of getting us a TD or two through the air as the game progresses.

I think that BA believes our Defense keeps this game close. Lindley, for all his warts, can connect occasionally, even on deep routes, (as established by the Seattle game). If we can keep the SF defense on the field by running the ball a lot, and keep our defense rested, then play action might be an option for a couple of deep connections for one or two of these progression trees that might just get us a W. That almost has to be what BA is thinking at this point, and I like this a lot at this point. Here's BA, sneakily attacking again, just like the rest of this year. What say you?????

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I pray for a win, but fully expect 2-3 ints and at least a 14 point loss.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch-----Now that BA has reversed himself and named Lindley to start over Thomas against the 'Niners, I have a hunch Lindley will surprise a bunch of us. I say that because, as Cards_Campos so aptly pointed out in another post, Lindley does know the progression trees for our passing routes, (which are the complicated parts of BA's play book). Even Fitzgerald has trouble keeping them straight.

My thoughts are, that Thomas, (big gun and all), was in no way close to understanding the complexity of this passing scheme. Only Lindley on this roster has (some) command of it. With all the turmoil in San Francisco. And with their many injury losses. And with Kaepernic spraying the ball all over the place, (Lindley like). I think that BA believes that Lindley provides the ONLY hope of getting us a TD or two through the air as the game progresses.

I think that BA believes our Defense keeps this game close. Lindley, for all his warts, can connect occasionally, even on deep routes, (as established by the Seattle game). If we can keep the SF defense on the field by running the ball a lot, and keep our defense rested, then play action might be an option for a couple of deep connections for one or two of these progression trees that might just get us a W. That almost has to be what BA is thinking at this point, and I like this a lot at this point. Here's BA, sneakily attacking again, just like the rest of this year. What say you?????

I would be very surprised if the Cardinals win today, Catfish. Whenever a coach is talking about looking at the scoreboard to see if he should rest his players---that's not the kind of all-in approach to a game that players rally around, let alone banged up players in Week 17 of the NFL season.

Truth is, it would be very far-fetched for any of the Cardinals to believe that the Rams have a real chance to beat the Seahawks in Seattle. The Rams' loss to the Cardinals was demoralizing for them and it showed last week as they got their arses handed to them at home by the NY Giants.

The most curious decision of the day for BA may be whether to sit Ryan Lindley in the second half. While one would think BA would like to have Lindley take as many snaps as possible, can BA risk yet another QB injury heading into the playoffs? Sounds crazy, right?

But---Drew Stanton's situation does not look promising. Even though BA is maintaining that Stanton is on track for a return---to heal from the infection and the surgery and then get back on the knee during the week and not have it swell or dramatically limit his ability to play with confidence would be miraculous.

As for Lindley---he needs a taste of success today---something good to go his way---not only for himself, but for the sake of the team's confidence heading into next week's playoffs.

A little taste of success can go a long way---

Thus, BA may want to play him as long as it takes to get that taste of success, even if it means throwing for his first TD during scrub time.

That's a risk worth taking, imho.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
No way Lindley comes out today. If we have any shot at winning the 1st playoff game, Lindley obviously needs as many live game reps as possible. It's worth the risk of him getting hurt in garbage time.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Look up Tevin Coleman from Indiana. After Gurley, he's the best back in the draft and I'm a huge Yeldon fan.

I would be okay with any of(in order) Gurley, Coleman, Yeldon, Gordon in either of the first 2 rounds.

Totally agree on Coleman... But would be thrilled if we somehow ended up with any one of those 4...

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Cards need to have better options than Ryan Lindley and Logan Thomas to back up Palmer and Stanton.What guarantees that CP and Stanton can return and stay effective and healthy?I understand Logan Thomas is a project for development but why not have another guy in place and know the system.Carry 4 QBs instead of 6 WRs or 4 TEs or 8Olinemen (when 7 only play ususally).

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I guess we will see on this one Mitch. I just have a feeling that as messed up as things are right now for San Fran, that BA might sense that Lindley has a possibility to feel more in charge than he was against Seattle. After all, Kaepernic has been as wild throwing the ball as Lindley has of late. If our Defense keeps him under control, and the score down, Lindley might just connect with one or two of those deep throws to Smokey, or to Floyd. If our offense can give us a couple of scores, and the running game keeps our D off the field in the first half so they are not worn out during 'game time', we might pull something off again. We've done it all year, (though not with Lindley). Today against San Fran, and all the Media turmoil with their coach, and the injuries that are beginning to compare to ours, Lindley might just have the game slow down for him a little as he sees Kaepernic struggle. Just a hunch, but WOW it would be fun to see one more time, (especially with Lindley at the helm).

I just don't see Stanton coming back for the playoffs. I believe he is hurt far worse than anyone thought with that infection having set in. I see no real hope there at all this season. Guess I'll just hope for the above.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I guess we will see on this one Mitch. I just have a feeling that as messed up as things are right now for San Fran, that BA might sense that Lindley has a possibility to feel more in charge than he was against Seattle. After all, Kaepernic has been as wild throwing the ball as Lindley has of late. If our Defense keeps him under control, and the score down, Lindley might just connect with one or two of those deep throws to Smokey, or to Floyd. If our offense can give us a couple of scores, and the running game keeps our D off the field in the first half so they are not worn out during 'game time', we might pull something off again. We've done it all year, (though not with Lindley). Today against San Fran, and all the Media turmoil with their coach, and the injuries that are beginning to compare to ours, Lindley might just have the game slow down for him a little as he sees Kaepernic struggle. Just a hunch, but WOW it would be fun to see one more time, (especially with Lindley at the helm).

I just don't see Stanton coming back for the playoffs. I believe he is hurt far worse than anyone thought with that infection having set in. I see no real hope there at all this season. Guess I'll just hope for the above.

We will not have Foote out there today and possibly no Buchannon and no Dan Williams. On offense we may not have Cooper which means no run game... It will take an act of god to win this game.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

I hope you are correct about today's game, Catfish!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch-----Now that BA has reversed himself and named Lindley to start over Thomas against the 'Niners, I have a hunch Lindley will surprise a bunch of us.

:biglaugh:

Luv ya Fish, but let's keep it real. Incompletelindley ain't gonna play even remotely well no matter the circumstances. I think the Niners D eats his lunch today. :mad:

It's not a bash on him, the HC or the team he's just not an NFL QB.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Luv ya Fish, but let's keep it real. Incompletelindley ain't gonna play even remotely well no matter the circumstances. I think the Niners D eats his lunch today. :mad:

It's not a bash on him, the HC or the team he's just not an NFL QB.

It IS a bash on him when you say that he is not an NFL QB. He was an NFL QB all last week against our defense, (which just happens to be a pretty good one). Granted, in the game he was in awe of Seattle and their Super Bowl winning team and got 'deer in the headlights' eyes. That might not happen today against San Fran, because he should feel at least as comfortable as Kaepernic, (who may not be quite so comfortable against our Defense). Lindley might find out that he is as capable, or more so, than Kaep. He just might have a solid game and keep the score close to where our Defense can rise one more time at the end to get a big 'W'. That would be a big boost for Lindley, who was one of many QB's that Whiz literally ruined early on.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard