Arizona Cardinals Preview: 2010 - Part 5: Defense & Defensive Line

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
DEFENSE:

With Kurt Warner leaving, questions about Boldin, and other issues you would think the offense would be the biggest story of the off-season, but it is not. It is not even close. When you look at the Cardinals defense it is quite unimpressive. It makes you wonder why this team went to the Super Bowl two years ago, and finished in the top eight last season. Right now our best player is Darnell Dockett who is a disruptive force at DE in a 3-4 which is a rarity in this league. Past that one player, there is a lot of potential and question marks. Bill Davis, whom I am a fan of, was able to pull off some magic by generating sacks via schemes, and trickery. With Antrel Rolle, Adrian Wilson,and Karlos Dansby you can confuse a QB just enough to buy the ½ second you need for a sack, or confuse the linemen to get them to miss an assignment. But as for our defensive front five, it is pretty slim picking when it comes to a pass rush. The secondary is solid, and at some times good but not at the level where it can make up for a pass rush. Finally, if the Cardinals play 100% perfect then they can be a force against he run, but as soon as there is a kink in the armor like Gerald Hayes being injured or Adrian Wilson being forced to play more coverage then it all falls apart very quickly. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If the Cardinals make any big moves this year it will be in concerns of the defense. Furthermore, be prepared for a shocker or two when it comes to the possibilities of releasing or letting players go off this roster.

Nose Tackle:
If Bryan Robinson doesn’t retire this year, then I would be extremely surprised. If he doesn’t then I would also be surprised if the Cardinals didn’t bring him back to AZ. Hopefully, this time the Cardinals can make good on their word and make Robinson a role player. The position must be upgraded via free agency or the draft. Unless Kelien Dykes all of a sudden becomes NFL material, and/or Gabe Watson starts to look like the player before his knee cap injury the position is in dire straits. The nose tackle position is a bit of a crapshoot in the NFL. The perception of the 360lbs NT is one that is greatly exaggerated. The Cardinals will give a good hard look at the free agency pool this year since rookies have a hard time breaking into the league on the defensive line. Yet, there is also a good chance that a prototype nose tackle will be chosen early in the draft, and even if that doesn’t happen there are a couple good, big bodied players in the late rounds of this draft.

Free Agent Possibilities:

- Casey Hampton
- Aubrayo Franklin
- Ryan Pickett
- Junior Siavii

I don’t care what anyone says, the Cardinals are going to take a good hard look at Casey Hampton if he happens to hit free agency. I think Hampton, rotating with Gabe Watson and a rookie would solidify our nose tackle position. Aubrayo Franklin is another stud, that I thought was a RFA, but none the less will never see free agency since he will be signed or tagged. Ryan Pickett is a very interesting free agent and with the depth that the Packers have on the defensive line he could very well be allowed to test the market. All else fails Junior Saivii has size, and experience but would be nothing more than a depth guy.

Draft Possibilities:

- Dan Williams, Ten - 6’2” 329lbs - (Round: 1)
- Terrence Cody, Alabama - 6’4” 370lbs - (Round: 1)
- Cam Thomas, North Carolina - 6’4” 331lbs - (Round: 2)
- Torrell Troup, Central Florida - 6’3” 314lbs - (Round: 3-4)
- Jay Ross, East Carolina - 6’3” 314lbs - (Round: 5-6)
- Ekom Udofia, Stanford - 6’2” 315lbs - (Round: 6-7)
- Travis Ivey, Maryland - 6’4” 325lbs - (UDFA)

This is tough. I would search the Arizona Sports Network and read some of the latest conversations about nose tackles. Make no mistake about it, you will need a big, powerful man to pull off playing NT in a 3-4. The Cardinals can take any of these players throughout the draft and they would have the physical gifts to play the position, but it is going to take scouting time, and interview analysis to find the guy that is the right fit for the job. In a perfect world Terrence Cody comes in and is the immovable force, but I don’t think that will be the case. Look for a mid level guy with the right mindset to be taken later in the draft.

Defensive End:
At least the rest of the defensive line is taken care of for the Cardinals. The Cardinals have one of, if not the best 3-4 DE in the league in Darnell Dockett. His quickness off the snap, speed, and power allows him to wreak havoc in opposing backfields. You may not like Dockett’s “free spirit” but his play on the field is top notch. Calias Campbell, still only 22 years old, has made everyone forget about Antonio Smith leaving town last year. Campbell is still growing both physically and mentally. As Calais matures he will go from being a good player to a great player. When it comes to rushing the passer, having Dockett and Campbell on the same field is a great advantage. This year we finally saw flashes of production from Alan Branch, the light bulb is on, but I still don’t think it is as bright as it should be. Branch needs to get some work ethic, and if he does, he could become a force for the Cardinals. Yet, that is said each year, and it never comes to pass, but lest enjoy Alan Branch for the solid depth and ability he brings to the team at DE. Kenny Iwebema will be another lock for the roster next year, more for his special teams play then his play at DE. But, 6’4” 280 lbs special teams players don’t grow on trees, and Iwebema is decent as a DE as well. The Cardinals also have Ryan Kees under contract, and will probably bring Jason Banks back in for training camp. Banks is a decent DL that knows his role in taking up blockers, and can play DE and NT in a pinch. Ryan Kees is camp fodder as far as I am concerned. In a crowded position, with the possibility of new draftees coming in, I don’t see him having much of a chance.

EDIT: As I finish this post, I am listening to Coach Whiz and Rod Graves’ interview on KTAR, where they hint that they need to upgrade the depth a DE. So, game on! Obviously Alan Branch and Iwembema are not enough at the position. Look to the draft for a possible player to come in and compete.

Free Agent Possibilities:
- Richard Seymour
- Dwan Edwards
- Tyler Brayton
- Jarvis Green
- Travis Kirschke

You can’t force a square peg in a round hole, but Alan Branch’s maddening failure as a nose tackle is very inconvenient for the Cardinals. I understand Richard Seymour is going to be franchised, but there is a nice list of 3-4 DE depth players with experience and skill. The Ravens would be crazy to let Dwan Edwards hit the free agent market, IMO, since he is like a poor man’s Darnell Dockett. Tyler Brayton, Jarvis Green, and Travis Kirschke are all experienced DE’s that can play a role with any 3-4 club. Yet, I doubt the Cardinals even look at this list since they have good depth at the position already. It would be nice if the Cardinals could sign one of these lower tier players and make a NT out of Branch, but we know that is a fools game to play at this point.

Draft Possibilities:
- Alex Carrington, Arkansas State - 6’4” 284lbs - (Round: 2-3)
- Mike Neal, Purdue - 6’4” 302lbs - (Round: 3-4)
- Corey Peters, Kentucky - 6’3” 295lbs - (Round: 5-6)
- Swanson Miller, Oklahoma State - 6’4” 300lbs - (Round: 7-UDFA)
- Mick Williams, Pitt - 6’5” 320lbs - (Round: 7-UDFA)

There are only a few 3-4 DE type players in this year’s draft, but there are some prospects in both the top, middle and bottom of the draft. A player like Alex Carrington could help the Cardinals pass rush, and Mike Neal can play DE and has good size. My guy, my diamond in the rough is Mick Williams, who can play DE, or NT, not to mention he is projected in the later rounds.

Part 1: Offense, Coaches and QB's - Link:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...10-part-1-offense-coaches-and-qbs-148519.html
Part 2: RB, FB, TE - Link:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...-preview-2010-part-2-rb-fb-amp-te-148518.html
Part 3: Wide Receiver - Link:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...preview-2010-part-3-wide-receiver-148517.html
Part 4: Offensive Line - Link:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...review-2010-part-4-offensive-line-148516.html
Part 5: Defense & Defensive Line - Link:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...part-5-defense-amp-defensive-line-148515.html
Part 6: Linebackers - Link:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/arizona-cardinals-preview-2010-part-6-linebackers-148514.html
Part 7: Defensive Backs - Link:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...eview-2010-part-7-defensive-backs-148513.html
Part 8: Special Teams & Summary - Link:http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...-part-8-special-teams-amp-summary-148512.html

*** A full copy of the entire post is available as an attachment to Part 1: Offense, Coaches and QB's

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
EDIT: As I finish this post, I am listening to Coach Whiz and Rod Graves’ interview on KTAR, where they hint that they need to upgrade the depth a DE. So, game on! Obviously Alan Branch and Iwembema are not enough at the position. Look to the draft for a possible player to come in and compete.

I believe they were hinting at upgrades right across the "D" line. So, they may be suggesting interest in N-tackles in both FA and the draft, as well as. D-ends.

You may want to add Robbins, from the Giants, to your list of possible FA tackle pickups.

Last edited:

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

I believe they were hinting at upgrades right across the "D" line. So, they may be suggesting interest in N-tackles in both FA and the draft, as well as. D-ends.

You may want to add Robbins, from the Giants, to your list of possible FA tackle pickups.

Is this your analysis of the situation or what you are taking away from the interview? IMO they are enough, that is our best defensive position as far as starters and depth so I really think we should focus our attention elsewhere.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Nose tackle is a huge need for this team, and I agree that I think the Cardinals will take a look at Casey Hampton. If they do, I also believe that they will take another player in the draft to groom behind him, and not necessarily a late round guy. I could see the Cardinals targeting Cam Thomas, Dan Williams, or Terrance Cody early if they are available, and value players at other positions are not.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Rugby, I really appreciate the time and effort you put into this post and the others. It was a great read, and the options you add are intriguing.

As for my reactions, I think if the Cardinals do the lazy thing by bringing back Bryan Robinson (and other oolder vets like Okeafor and Ralph Brown) it does not speak well for the direction the FO is taking with its personnel.

The Cardinals either have to sign a UFA NT to a 3 year deal or draft one high. After this year, Gabe Watson will be a UFA, but hopefully will be re-signed as the backup.

At DE the depth is set...the options are strong and deep.

The one thing that irks me is Alan Branch apparently preferring to be a backup DE to being the starting NT. We saw whst a huge physcial force he is in short yardage situations where he plays at or near the NT position. He should want to start at NT and ask to kick down to DE at times when Watson is in the game.

If they do move Branch to NT and need another DE, one DE prospect that I am high on is Lamarr Houston (6-2, 279, Texas). I think he is going to be a great value pick for whatever team takes him. I also like the strength and athleticism of Tyson Alualu (6-3, 290, California), who impressed at the Senior Bowl.

This is one of the deepest drafts ever for DT, 3-4 DE prospects.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Is this your analysis of the situation or what you are taking away from the interview? IMO they are enough, that is our best defensive position as far as starters and depth so I really think we should focus our attention elsewhere.

No. It's from Rugby. I was responding.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
No. It's from Rugby. I was responding.

Well its certainly not "obvious" that they aren't enough for the position, that is our strongest spot. If we need more depth there then we need to add people everywhere, at both depth and starting spots.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well its certainly not "obvious" that they aren't enough for the position, that is our strongest spot. If we need more depth there then we need to add people everywhere, at both depth and starting spots.

If you ask Rod Graves about "D" line, "O' line, Lbs, CBs, etc... he'll invariably say that we need more at the position, and that is what I took from the KTAR interview. Rugby seems to see it as more than that. In my view it is simply: "Graves speak".

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
The guy I like in this draft is a comparative lightweight, but he comes with very high regard from none other than Romeo Crenell who coached him in the E-W Shrine game.
Crenell said that this kid is extremely coachable, and did everything that the staff of the Shrine Game asked of him. I am talking about Torell Troup, 6-3, 314, from the University of Central Florida. He is described as having phenominal strength in his legs and lower body. With it, he has what were described as violent hands, that gave him the opportunity to disengage, or to force movement to either side. He should be available to us in the third round, and from what I have read, has moved to the third spot in NT rankings behind Williams and Cody since his rise during Shrine week. I think he might be the perfect kid to work in behind Watson and whomever we go after in Free Agency, (Hampton, Pickett, or other). A year or two of training with Lott, and learning from a real smart starter might be the perfect fit for this kid and for us.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard