Arizona Basketball 2019-2020

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I know What you said.

Difference is this team, compared to other CSM teams, is designed to play with tempo and score without sacrificing much on defense. Earlier, I’d mentioned that this was a Lute Olson type of team in that it would more frequently run lesser teams out of the gym. Still think that. One off night isn’t going to erase the results of the previous four games. Now, if it struggles against LBSU, then the team needs to do some serious self-evaluation, though I think LBSU is going to be the victims of an angry team.

Time for some serious self-evaluation...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Might just be time to fire Heeke, clean house and start over from scratch in our Athletic Department.

Our football program is in shambles, our men's basketball team looks poised to underachieve...again (after struggling at home against South Dakota State and now Long Beach State) and then likely to be slapped with major NCAA penalties, our baseball team is underachieving, and Candrea is nearing the end for softball. Our one bright spot right now is the women's basketball team, and I don't see Adia Barnes going anywhere, anyway.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The final score certainly doesn't tell the whole story. Yes, they pulled away in the second half, but they were this close to being down at the half at home against a horrible LBSU team coming off the heels of a clunker against South Dakota State. This does not look like a team that is ready to compete once we face real competition.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The final score certainly doesn't tell the whole story. Yes, they pulled away in the second half, but they were this close to being down at the half at home against a horrible LBSU team coming off the heels of a clunker against South Dakota State. This does not look like a team that is ready to compete once we face real competition.

We just drop a hundred piece and won by almost forty. Chill, man.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Did you not see how awful the first half was?

Yes, and with one adjustment, it turned into a lay-up line for Arizona.

I mean, we could drop a game to Evansville at home, I guess??

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes, and with one adjustment, it turned into a lay-up line for Arizona.

I mean, we could drop a game to Evansville at home, I guess??

You said yourself that if this team struggled with LBSU after the clunker against South Dakota State, it would be time for serious self-reflection. They struggled big time in the first half tonight. Why did it take so long to adjust?

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
You said yourself that if this team struggled with LBSU after the clunker against South Dakota State, it would be time for serious self-reflection. They struggled big time in the first half tonight. Why did it take so long to adjust?

I wouldn’t say “big time” as Arizona still controlled the game despite sloppy play, but once they cleaned it all up, LBSU was done. Being 6-0 and winning five of those by 20 or more gives me confidence in this team. They’re still a work in progress, but you can see that this team has the makings of a contender

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say “big time” as Arizona still controlled the game despite sloppy play, but once they cleaned it all up, LBSU was done. Being 6-0 and winning five of those by 20 or more gives me confidence in this team. They’re still a work in progress, but you can see that this team has the makings of a contender

To me, they look a lot like the DeAndre Ayton team from two years ago...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
To me, they look a lot like the DeAndre Ayton team from two years ago...

That’s not a good comp. They had no depth and more importantly no PG. I would take Josh Green’s defense/athleticism over either Trier/Alkins offense too.

That team also got embarrassed in the Bahamas early proving to be frauds.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That’s not a good comp. They had no depth and more importantly no PG. I would take Josh Green’s defense/athleticism over either Trier/Alkins offense too.

That team also got embarrassed in the Bahamas early proving to be frauds.

I guess we shall see, when we play Baylor and Gonzaga. Right now, I'm not liking our chances in either of those games.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see the game but with USC losing it sure looks like so far UA and UW are the best teams in the conference. You guys beat SJSU by 40 and then UCLA loses at home to a team that lost to SJSU.

Obviously not on Nnaji's level but LBSU has a freshman big named Josh Morgan who had 10 and 5 last night, classic case of late bloomer big that went under the radar despite playing at Sheldon with Bagley's younger brother Marcus on a powerhouse HS team. Morgan as a junior in HS at Pleasant Grove, was a part time guy averaging less than 10 MPG, he transferred to Sheldon, got better and got a full ride and I'd now be pretty surprised if he doesn't wind up transferring to a Pac 12 program. Would suck for LBSU but that's how things go these days diamond in the rough recruits transfer to bigger programs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Although I never thought he was what i would consider great last year, I’m surprised chase isn’t playing a larger role this year. Despite blowouts I believe his numbers are substantially down from a year ago, is that right?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Although I never thought he was what i would consider great last year, I’m surprised chase isn’t playing a larger role this year. Despite blowouts I believe his numbers are substantially down from a year ago, is that right?

Chase has looked completely lost this year. Something isn't right with him.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Loved TJMC but we haven’t had a kid like this is along time.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Been bragging on Nico for quite some time now... I had the true pleasure of watching him up close & personal throughout his high school days as he and my daughter graduated in the same class and are close friends (she was the captain of the Pom/Dance team). Nico actually still dates my daughters' best friend.
Anyway, people don't yet fully understand what Nico will become... but I can confidently say that yes, UArizona hasn't had a player with his wide range of skills and endless ceiling, in a very, very long time. Combined with his pedigree and work-ethic, his drive to become the greatest ever, his humbleness and all-around great character, Nico will ultimately dominate at whatever level he is playing...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Been bragging on Nico for quite some time now... I had the true pleasure of watching him up close & personal throughout his high school days as he and my daughter graduated in the same class and are close friends (she was the captain of the Pom/Dance team). Nico actually still dates my daughters' best friend.
Anyway, people don't yet fully understand what Nico will become... but I can confidently say that yes, UArizona hasn't had a player with his wide range of skills and endless ceiling, in a very, very long time. Combined with his pedigree and work-ethic, his drive to become the greatest ever, his humbleness and all-around great character, Nico will ultimately dominate at whatever level he is playing...

Hearing anything about him coming back? ;):D:lmao:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hearing anything about him coming back? ;):D:lmao:

No... I'm sure he and his parents and his team of advisors have that all figured out. His girlfriend (I would be shocked if they remain together), mentioned to my daughter that she and Nico have discussed the potential of moving when he gets drafted... for whatever that's worth...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I didn't see the game but with USC losing it sure looks like so far UA and UW are the best teams in the conference. You guys beat SJSU by 40 and then UCLA loses at home to a team that lost to SJSU.

Obviously not on Nnaji's level but LBSU has a freshman big named Josh Morgan who had 10 and 5 last night, classic case of late bloomer big that went under the radar despite playing at Sheldon with Bagley's younger brother Marcus on a powerhouse HS team. Morgan as a junior in HS at Pleasant Grove, was a part time guy averaging less than 10 MPG, he transferred to Sheldon, got better and got a full ride and I'd now be pretty surprised if he doesn't wind up transferring to a Pac 12 program. Would suck for LBSU but that's how things go these days diamond in the rough recruits transfer to bigger programs.

Oregon? They’re the only team I could see winning the conference over Arizona... Washington is talented but Arizona’s freshman are more polished... Stewart and McDaniels were both 5* recruits but I’m not sure I’d take either over Zeke for this team.

Cronin’s first year is probably bringing back memories of Howland’s first year. I remember thinking he was a bad fit at UCLA and Lute’s reign would continue. Two years later the programs were in very different places.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oregon? They’re the only team I could see winning the conference over Arizona... Washington is talented but Arizona’s freshman are more polished... Stewart and McDaniels were both 5* recruits but I’m not sure I’d take either over Zeke for this team.

Cronin’s first year is probably bringing back memories of Howland’s first year. I remember thinking he was a bad fit at UCLA and Lute’s reign would continue. Two years later the programs were in very different places.

I haven't see Oregon so I don't know if theyre' as good as forecast. UW has 3-4 kids that are really good. interestingly when I saw them they were playing as much man as zone, i assume that will change as they get better at zone.

Stanford is good too although it's early, Tyrell Terry is the best freshman PG you've never heard of. Has a bit of Trae Young to his game, skinny as a rail from Minnesota but so good, great shooter great ballhandler. Takes some bad shots but he's going to push the other guys for FOTY. They have another frosh named SPencer Jones who is an unreal shooter, 40 of his 47FGA so far are 3's, he made 21 of them and he shoots from Steph Curry range. Really fun team to watch I've seen them twice now.

I'm not aware of this UCLA team you mention I'm a Stanford fan (-:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Once again off to a bad start against a far inferior team. Why do Miller and company always have to make things harder on themselves than they need to be?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tied at the half with freaking Pepperdine. Allowing them to shoot 54% from the field. Tied in rebounds with a vastly smaller team. Mannion getting absolutely manhandled by Ross. Bad free throw shooting yet again.

Third consecutive game with an awful first half against a vastly inferior team. The total lack of effort is astounding.

This team is nowhere near ready for real competition.

And unlike LBSU, it is Pepperdine, not us, who has been controlling this game...

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Amazing game. Nico with game winner.

Green was the best player on the court and Smith hit some incredibly clutch shots. Pepperdine either hit every 3 or missed so bad they got the rebound. Never seen anything like it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave