Anyone want Kwame Brown?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
After Doug Collins's explosion last night, it sure seems like Brown is a candidate to be moved. I don't see how Brown can co-exist with either Collins as coach or Jordan as executive, at least one of whom the Wizards will probably work hard to keep.

Brown hasn't shown much, but I'm sure his price would be high. He is still only Stoudemire's age, after all. Here's one deal that the Wizards might consider:

Phoenix gets:
Kwame Brown
Bryon Russell (contract up in 2004)

Washington gets:
Joe Johnson
Jake Tsakalidis
Randy Brown (contract up in 2003)
2004 or 2005 first-round pick (Wizards' option)

The salaries work, but I'm not sure about the timing with respect to Randy Brown's contract. The trade would have to happen while it was still technically this season, and I don't know what the deadline is.

I don't like the trade, but does anyone else? Is there a more viable scenario?

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't like the trade either and I'm not so sure I want to give up any of our young talent because they really are starting to play well and as a team. It will be hard for us to trade away our garbage and get any value in return. I'm not saying it can't happen because I never thought we'd get rid of Longley and get anything of value and we did.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You surprise me Eric. I thought you would be the last person to post a trade proposal just as the Phoenix Suns have clinched a spot in the playoffs. You must be bored. :)

Actually I was thinking of some way the Suns could acquire him also. Some of you might remember that before the 2002 draft I rambled on quite a bit about how Brown would be a fantastic player. Early on this season I find he might prove me right. Then he faded.

I still think Brown will end up playing very well somewhere. I just don't think he and Amare Stoudemire can coexist in the low post. I still believe the Suns would be best with a center that can play away from the basket on offense to open things up for Stoudemire. Brad Miller or Okur or Drobnjak would work perfectly.

Joe Mama

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We can not trade R.Brown he is a free agent next year and IMO K. Brown is not worth that much. I would rather go after Curry in Chi. But I don't think PHX will make any major moves next year. The team has a good core of starters and bench players to plan for the future.

There are two needs for PHX
1) Back-up SF (ala: Marion Mold)
2) Back-up PG (not a scorer but someone to control the team)
**Both can be addressed in the draft or free agents**
I will start a new tread on this subject of what to do next year**

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I wished we could get Kwame.

1. What a cool combination of names! Amare and Kwame
2. He is legit 6'11 and looks pretty strong he reminds me of Jermaine O'Neal and has a jumpshot from what I have seen. I think he could easily start at center for us.

I just don't like the idea of giving up on JJ. I think he can be our future 2-guard. I would rather throw in Casey Jacobsen and another first round pick probably Clevelands.

I don't think we need a backup PG or SF. JJ coming off the bench can fill both needs. Especially backup PG is not one of our biggest concerns since we also have Penny who can do that.

We need a solid center that can start every game and we need some big backups. We could need any position on the bench really.

Eddy Curry is not coming to Phoenix unless we would be willing to part with Steph, Shawn or Amare. He looks as dominant in the post as anyone.

Kwame Brown really needs a change of scenarie. Nobody backs him up in Washington and fans booed him when he had a game when he was 1-10 from the field at halftime.

Jake Voshkul
Casey Jacobsen
Randy Brown
Phoenix 2004 first round pick
Cleveland future 1st and 2nd round pick

Kwame Brown

Works under the cap

Or this one especially if Penny does well in the playoffs this could work.

Penny Hardaway 3yrs left
Jake Voshkul
Phoenix 2004 pick
Cleveland future 1st and 2nd round picks

for

Larry Hughes 2yrs left
Jahidi White 2yrs left
Kwame Brown 3yrs left

Lineup

Kwame Brown/Jahidi White/Jake Tsakalidis
Amare Stoudemire/Bo Outlaw
Shawn Marion/1st round pick
Joe Johnson/Casey Jacobsen
Stephon Marbury/Larry Hughes/Jason Gardner?

Haywood/Voshkul
Laettner/Oakley
Jeffries/Russell
Stackhouse/Dixon
Penny/Lue
draftpicks

Last edited:

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
After the way JJ has been playing there is no way in hell I would trade him for Kwame when we already have Amare. PLUS we'd be throwing in a first round pick and a big body in Jake.

No!!

Last edited:

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Jake and Brown are free agents next year they are not under contract.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It's my understanding that you could still trade them before the draft before their contracts are up.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's my understanding that you could still trade them before the draft before their contracts are up.

I also think that's true. However, that means the only value either of those players would have to Washington is salary relief. Brown makes enough money that this means something, but no one is going to consider Voskuhl an asset in a trade. If they want Voskuhl, they can just try to sign him outright. The only center with any trade value on the Suns is Tsakalidis (or Outlaw, if you consider him a center).

Jake Voshkul
Casey Jacobsen
Randy Brown
Phoenix 2004 first round pick
Cleveland future 1st and 2nd round pick

Kwame Brown

There is no way Washington would accept this trade. Basically it's Jacobsen and a few mediocre future picks for Brown. Not a chance.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
No,you can't.

You can't trade any players after the deadline whose contract isn't guaranteed for the next season.

Kwaeme Brown is still a fantastic athlete although WAS's coaching staff doesn't have any idea how they should have to improve him.
They want to improve Brown to a face-to-basket player but Brown can't handle the ball and he can't shoot.
I just don't get it why don't they use his freaking athleticism around the basket.

I'm a big fan of Joe Johnson so I'm maybe crazy but I wouldn't trade JJ for Brown.
I would give anything for Brown except Marbury,Marion,Stoudemire and Johnson.And it probably wouldn't be enough.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I don't want Brown at all. How is Steph, Marion, Amare, Brown, JJ, Penney average in double digits. The team would be like the Clips to much talent. We have a great core team. We just don't have room for more premire players unless we move one. We need more defind roll players and better back-ups to complete the puzzle. Sure I would love to see an all-star starting five but unless your the Mavs with all the money to spend it just will not work. Plus Brown's stock is low and not worth the #1 pick so he will be overrated until the Wiz trade him or don't take his option.

GO SUNS

SWEEP THE SPURS

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You can't trade any players after the deadline whose contract isn't guaranteed for the next season.

Oh well. Thanks, hcsilla, I figured you'd have the answer for that.

I would give anything for Brown except Marbury,Marion,Stoudemire and Johnson.And it probably wouldn't be enough.

Right. If the Wizards trade Brown, they will insist on (1) significant young talent in return, and (2) most likely, future picks. They don't really have any terrible contracts to package for salary relief, so that's all another team can offer. If the trade was to be with the Suns, they would have to give up at least Johnson.

Last edited:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
don't the Wiz still have Laettner? He's one bad contract they'd probably like to ship out.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I havent watched much of Brown, but I always thought he didnt really have any post moves and he relied on athleticism to get him buckets in transition and put backs. I thought he had the makings of a good shot blocker and rebounder. With that being said, teach him how to shoot a 15 footer and you have a perfect center for our team. Most of this board feels we need a center who can pull his man out, like Joe Mama listed. I personally think that the players offense is second priority. I feel the center needs to be a good defensive player, so Amare can focus more on the other end.

However, I wouldnt give JJ up for Kwame, unless that is basically all we were giving up. We dont have the need fo rhim, it would just be a bonus. Plus he seems to cause problems because of his lack of confidence, at least when JJ was shaken up, he just sat in the corner and didnt cause waves. Not to mention I doubt we could handle his contract if he lived up to his hype once leaving the wiz.

I think the suns adding Curry is a huge mistake. He is marked as the next offensive center in the league. We just dont have room for another big scorer.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Good point thegrahamcrackr Curry is going to be offensive Center. I say lets try with Big Jake give him the playoffs and summer and see if we need another Center. I still like Zako for are 1st round pick. He can shoot and is 6-11 and can run with the small ball.
You must be registered for see images

Strengths : A versatile Power Forward with sensational fundamentals. Can also play either in C or cause headaches when used at SF. Very intelligent with great understanding of the game. Has a wingspan of a 7'1" man. He's a great talent with a good work ethic. Showed great improvement over the last 3 years. Has gained a bunch of experience that has resulted in maturity and given birth to leadership skills. Has tremendous ball-handling skills combined with quickness, great reflexes and court sense. Creates his own shots using his point-guard-like ball-handling skills, has a nice, hard to block, jump-shot with a quick release. Penetrates smoothly into the paint from both sides either finishing with a lay-up or finding the open man with an assist, even when faced with a double team. Great agility that causes problems against bigger bodies. He outruns his opponents. Very impressive in the open court, goes with great energy to the basket. He's not afraid of "traffic" in the paint. Puts up high percentages in shooting. He can shoot facing the basket, he can post up against smaller bodies, and can kill opponents with a long range shot... Defensively he is close to solid. He is keen on stealing balls and grabbing offensive rebounds for garbage points.

Weaknesses : Classic Yugoslavian basketball body... Has to put on 25 pounds so to gain more space in the paint. Needs to work on his upper body to handle the strength of NBA players. He's not an overpowering rebounder nor a shot blocker. His hook shot needs polish.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Why this trading anything with the Wiz is bad (unless it is an amazing deal; ex: 2nd rd. pick for Kwamie) :

Do NOT trade JJ. - He is maturing and will be our shooting guard in the future. Remember he was a top 10 pick last year.

Team Chemitry - The wizards have no team chemistry. WE DO. Don't screw it up.

I don't want to trade anyone.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by arthurracoon
Why this trading anything with the Wiz is bad (unless it is an amazing deal; ex: 2nd rd. pick for Kwamie) :

Do NOT trade JJ. - He is maturing and will be our shooting guard in the future. Remember he was a top 10 pick last year.

Team Chemitry - The wizards have no team chemistry. WE DO. Don't screw it up.

I don't want to trade anyone.

Not even Googs??? :D

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A versatile Power Forward with sensational fundamentals.

Yeah, yeah. The hype on a player always makes him sound like he's already at NBA All-Star level. You just can't trust it. Very few players are as good as their hype.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Has a wingspan of a 7'1" man

Can't hype that up. We are picking 17th it is not like we are going to get another Amare. This Kid would fill a need at SF and a C who can spread the floor. We will not play but 7-10 min. a game. But would be nice to have if available. There just is not enough big men in this years draft and Suns have a need for a back up SF and we can move JJ to play 1-3 and be the 6th man until he moves ahead of Penny.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
My problem with that guy is

"He's not an overpowering rebounder nor a shot blocker. "

That is exactly the qualities we should be looking for. Amare has proven he doesnt need the middle to be opened up by a jump shooter. You think teams are scared of Bo or Jake, hell even scott williams from the perimeter? The fact is, most teams opposing centers cant do jack to help against Amare. Either they are too weak, or they are too slow. Anyways, teams learned the last third of this season that if they double off of Bo or Jake, they might as well just hand them the 2 points, because they are going to cut and steph will find them. Double teams come against Amare now, and definitely for the future, not because they can, but becasue they have to.

Every position except center on our team is offense orriented. Yes some players play good defense, but their main focus is offense. We need a center that will get garbage points off of boards or cutting to the basket, someone who can help keep pressure off of Amare on the defensive end by putting a body on bigger players and being able to block or change shots. If the center can get 6-8 boards a game we suddenly have almost 30 rpg coming from our front court, which we be huge. (I am guess Amare will be a 12-13 guy in a year or to, plus marions 10 a game) (Another side note, I still think that with about 20 minutes a game, big Jake is our center)

Once again, just my thoughts

Andy

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree lets stick with Big Jake. I am just saying we can add Zako to the mix for some bench play from the 3-5 spot. He can shoot the jumper and slash to the basket. I think the Suns are putting together a great team that is very versital and adding a 6-10 guy with a shot and speed is what we need. He can add some weight and will be able to bang down low.

Team line-up

Marbury/JJ/Free Agent
Penny/JJ/Casey
Marion/JJ/ Zako
Amare/Bo/Googs/Zako
Big Jake/Voskul/Zako/Googs

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anybody actually believe that if this Zarko guy is as good as they are saying he is going to be there at No. 17? At his size and with the current infatuation with foreign players there's no way.

I'm not sure I would say that Joe Johnson is an offense oriented player. Shawn Marion is almost as strong defensively as offensively. The coaching staff told us all year long that Amare Stoudemire's defense would take longer to develop than his offense. I think he will end up being an above-average defender.

Besides, it's not just Amare Stoudemire that will benefit from more space to operate in the middle. That will give all of the guys who like to drive to the basket more room.

I don't expect any trades will actually happen. I still do not think anybody is going to touch Hardaway with his history of injuries and his massive contract. Even if another team wanted Tom Gugliotta I don't think the Suns will trade him because they need the cap relief as much as the next team. I think the Suns will draft the best player available, try their hardest to re-sign Jake Voskuhl, and maybe look around for a minimum veterans contract bargain.

Joe Mama

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Would anyone do this trade?

Suns:
Kwame Brown
Anthony Peeler
1st Round Pick from Minnesota

Washington:
Jake Tsakalidis
Bo Outlaw
Joe Johnson
1st Round Pick from Suns
Cavs Pick

Minnesota:
Larry Hughes

Minnesota upgrades at SG. Suns get future C and cap space (Peeler) and move down a few spots in draft. Wizards get rid of 2 of their problems, receive replacements, and get draft picks?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson