Anyone catch tonight’s exhibition game?

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
Did anyone catch tonight’s exhibition game between the USA and Canada?

I forgot about it until mid way through the 3rd, but I watched…

I need my basketball fix since summer league is now over, so why not watch a glorified practice with USA dominating?

I have to tell you, I think we are a lock for the gold this year…I really do.

Plus it was awesome to see a healthy Dwyane Wade play. When that man is healthy, I think he is one of a kind, he is sick…

HooverDam

Reaction score
The USA team looked pretty sloppy, but Im sure that'll get worked out. With out LeBron they'll be a bit thin up front but it sounds like he'll be back for their next game (he'll probably play some PF in the international type game).

Dodie the final score was 120-65, here's an article: http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3505801

Toothbrush

Registered
Reaction score
Watched most of the game at work. It looked like it was going to be a decent game till the end of the first. And then it was LOL city

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could tell D'Antoni was the coach of that team. Deron Williams and Chris Paul played extensively together. Micheal Redd/Kobe were at the 3. Carmello was the 4 and Bosh or Boozer manned the middle.

The floor was spread with multiple high picks for shooters like Redd, who was open all game long. There was post ups, but due to the offense no post player was ever doubled.

The announcers spoke of how in international competition you could play Melo and especially Lebron at the 4. I never realized how big Lebron is until they said he was the same height and weight as Karl Malone. With his speed he will be unguardable at the 4 spot.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh and the game was fairly rough. Little fouls were called inside. You can see why team USA was built to have so many slashers and shooters. Posting up often led to being manhandled with no call.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
LeBron would have been an inside guy on the D'Antoni Suns. He's really big and strong to go with fast and skilled. Somebody is going to give him an enormous contract in two years.

BTW, the lane, real zones, and the way the fouls are called are reasons so many Euro bigs fail in the NBA. They have no idea how to play NBA defense. For example, Pat Burke was a starter on a top Euroleague team but was a foul machine on the Suns. Dirk and Pau anre not exactly great defenders either.

Kody Rumin

Registered
Reaction score
Having undersized power forwards like Anthony and LeBron has less to do with D'Antoni and more to do with the size of the international competition. Both of those guys are about the same size of the international power forwards they will be playing against.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
You could tell D'Antoni was the coach of that team. Deron Williams and Chris Paul played extensively together. Micheal Redd/Kobe were at the 3. Carmello was the 4 and Bosh or Boozer manned the middle.

The floor was spread with multiple high picks for shooters like Redd, who was open all game long. There was post ups, but due to the offense no post player was ever doubled.

The announcers spoke of how in international competition you could play Melo and especially Lebron at the 4. I never realized how big Lebron is until they said he was the same height and weight as Karl Malone. With his speed he will be unguardable at the 4 spot.

Bummer for Team USA. If any team with half a brain realizes how to cut off the three point shooters on the wings and trap our our point guard, our offense is done (see Phoenix Suns under Mike D'Antoni).

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
Any offense should work its best with the NBA's best running it.

This might be a no-win situation for D'antoni as far as comparing it to the NBA.

If the system doesn't work with the best of the NBA running it, what will that say? Even if successful, where will you find a team with that much talent in the NBA.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Bummer for Team USA. If any team with half a brain realizes how to cut off the three point shooters on the wings and trap our our point guard, our offense is done (see Phoenix Suns under Mike D'Antoni).

The Spurs tactic simply won't work against USA.

1. You cannot stop the three if there are four guys who are good at it when open. That leaves you with just one guy back when guys like Carmelo decide to up fake and drive.

2. Who are you going to leave open when you trap the PG? In any case, the USA team may end up with Williams and Paul at the same time, so I doubt the trap would work. In any case, the Spurs did not really trap Nash as mug him.

In any case, the problem for the Suns was not really offense, although poor shooting by Leandro and GG did not help. It was defesne. Against the Suns, the Spurs shot 46.7%. Against the Hornets the Spurs shot 42.5% and against the Lakers the Spurs shot 43.6%,

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard