Anybody else down on CJ

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After that first game everyone thought Chandlers contract demands were gonna be sky high and definitely warranted.

After him being largely invisible for the next 5 games he’s played including GB tonight against their back up LT.

How many still feel that he’s worth a really big multi year extension? I think at this point unless he really turns it around I’d be inclined to let him walk.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was another reason I hated to see Reddick leave. It wasn’t just about this season. It was about the future of the team as well, with a brittle JJ Watt only on a two year deal and a 31 year old pass rusher coming off injury who didn’t look great before he got injured the year previous... with only one year left on his deal.

And we just let a 26 year old who finally flourished once put at his natural position just walk out the door... for a relatively cheap one year deal.

Bring on the usual suspects who will claim I’m obsessed or come up with some other rationalization why the Cards let their best young pass rusher fly the coop, but by the end of this season we’re likely going to be looking at replacing Jones and praying Watt’s body doesn’t fall apart again next year.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He only has a sack in 2 out of the last 10 games...Not going to be viable with Kyler getting 30+ soon...
I mean Watt only 3 sacks in his last 16 games. Obviously helps against the run but still. I wouldnt judge him coming off Covid too harsh this game where they are trying to get the ball out quickly.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He hasn’t been invisible he’s had some really good games this year.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am with you here, outside the first game, Cj has been handled by the opponent oline pretty well on the passing downs. I didn't see much double team on him either. On rushing downs, he was left unblocked and met opposing RBs on the backfield several times but failed to get immediate tackles. He either over pursued taking a bad angle or let the RBs slip through the tackle (sometimes run straight past him).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One things for sure. The "Give Chandler all the money" thread after game 1 looks silly now.

He's still a decent player but he's not what he was.

What's most concerning is that the 4 games last season and many of the games this season have been against some pretty poor tackles, including backups.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd offer him an extension, but not one he'd be willing to take. Can't throw big money at him when he doesn't have the closing speed he used to. He still seems to get pressure but can't close the deal. And he's a huge liability against the run, not just average like you'd need him to be.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree with Stout, try to keep him but make it a reasonable deal. However, most likely some other NFL team will overpay for him. Happens all the time.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just for this game, I feel like he has to get a pass due to catching COVID.

But yea, those 5 sacks week 1 are starting to become obvious that it was just Taylor Lewan returning from injury than Chandler playing like he’s back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not down on him because of last night, Rodgers throwing the ball quickly all game and him coming off Covid not surprised he wasn't all over the place. Had a big deflection but for the most part Rodgers didn't go downfield so he had little chance. His run defense sucked.

He has to get going again we need sacks and fumbles with JJ out we need that element of CJ's game again. Hopefully he'll be better next game with a rest to recover fully from Covid.

He's not washed, the 5 sack game was clearly misleading but he's still gotten pressure in several other games just didn't get home yet.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The biggest issue here is all the time he was out last season and the last 2 games he was out with Covid we didn't miss him. Like at all.

So why would you pay a guy that you have already show you can easily replace with guys like Golden, Reddick and Gardeck?

There's shades of P2 here. A lot of fans just felt better having P2's name on the list of starters based on who he had been. And we have been better without him.

I love CJ. Great guy. But I think fans just feel better having him in the lineup based on who he was.

Unless there is a major turnaround in the rest of the season it's got to be a reasonably cheap deal or we find a value replacement.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not down on him because of last night, Rodgers throwing the ball quickly all game and him coming off Covid not surprised he wasn't all over the place. Had a big deflection but for the most part Rodgers didn't go downfield so he had little chance. His run defense sucked.

He has to get going again we need sacks and fumbles with JJ out we need that element of CJ's game again. Hopefully he'll be better next game with a rest to recover fully from Covid.

He's not washed, the 5 sack game was clearly misleading but he's still gotten pressure in several other games just didn't get home yet.

It's not just last night though. In his last 10 games he has 2 games with a sack. He also had TFL's in those 2 games and only 1 other in the other 8 games.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue here is all the time he was out last season and the last 2 games he was out with Covid we didn't miss him. Like at all.

So why would you pay a guy that you have already show you can easily replace with guys like Golden, Reddick and Gardeck?

There's shades of P2 here. A lot of fans just felt better having P2's name on the list of starters based on who he had been. And we have been better without him.

I love CJ. Great guy. But I think fans just feel better having him in the lineup based on who he was.

Unless there is a major turnaround in the rest of the season it's got to be a reasonably cheap deal or we find a value replacement.
I called that the Larry Fitzgerald effect

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I called out the Larry Fitzgerald effect

Exactly. We have been better without Larry and P2. We have been at least as proficient on the D line without CJ in all the games he recently missed.

I don't think anyone needs to worry either way. The only bad outcome is if we extend him for stupid money. If we can't extend him it's not the end of the world.

Have to remember too that this is all happening in a contract year. This is when he's really trying.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I just read he had ZERO pressures last night. 30 pass plays. ZERO pressures. He’s not chandler jones anymore. He’s just a guy. People said it was too soon to judge the four games of his last year where he was ineffective. We’ve now seen that other than a game where he was rushing against a tackle who came back too early from injury, chandler is the same guy we saw the first four games of last season. And that’s with the added bonus of playing alongside jJ watt. Don’t pay him. You can’t.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read he had ZERO pressures last night. 30 pass plays. ZERO pressures. He’s not chandler jones anymore. He’s just a guy. People said it was too soon to judge the four games of his last year where he was ineffective. We’ve now seen that other than a game where he was rushing against a tackle who came back too early from injury, chandler is the same guy we saw the first four games of last season. And that’s with the added bonus of playing alongside jJ watt. Don’t pay him. You can’t.

I don't know how they define pressures but the pass he deflected was clearly a pressure that's how he deflected the ball he was in Rodgers face.

I don't take anything from last nights game he came off Covid and Rodgers threw the ball so fast last night. After the first game he was very quiet absolutely we need more but to me last night was a first game back didn't expect much. Has to do more going forward that's for sure

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I don't know how they define pressures but the pass he deflected was clearly a pressure that's how he deflected the ball he was in Rodgers face.

I don't take anything from last nights game he came off Covid and Rodgers threw the ball so fast last night. After the first game he was very quiet absolutely we need more but to me last night was a first game back didn't expect much. Has to do more going forward that's for sure
Hope you're right because we do need a much bigger contribution from him going forward. He's in a contract year. He needs to perform against every opponent not just the Little Sisters of the Poor.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Everyone keeps saying Covid. But he wasn’t the dominant force we were used to before Covid(aside from one game against a clearly not healthy Lewan)

He also could have played against the Texans. But the team held him out to get his conditioning back up. To give him an extra week to recover and build his stamina. The team seems to think he was ready. So Not sure I’m buying the “Covid” excuse.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying Covid. But he wasn’t the dominant force we were used to before Covid(aside from one game against a clearly not healthy Lewan)

He also could have played against the Texans. But the team held him out to get his conditioning back up. To give him an extra week to recover and build his stamina. The team seems to think he was ready. So Not sure I’m buying the “Covid” excuse.

I'm just saying I didn't expect too much from him last night because he just came off the Covid list. I have no idea how serious his illness was, not too serious given how fast he came back but then he missed one more game than I expected him to miss.

To then go out and play 85% of the snaps it doesn't surprise me he wasn't great. He has to play better absolutely but I didn't expect much last night because of the situation. I expect he'll play better against SF.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just saying I didn't expect too much from him last night because he just came off the Covid list. I have no idea how serious his illness was, not too serious given how fast he came back but then he missed one more game than I expected him to miss.

To then go out and play 85% of the snaps it doesn't surprise me he wasn't great. He has to play better absolutely but I didn't expect much last night because of the situation. I expect he'll play better against SF.
From what you’ve seen in his last 10 games played would you spend big money to extend him?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose