Anybody else down on CJ

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
It's not just last night though. In his last 10 games he has 2 games with a sack. He also had TFL's in those 2 games and only 1 other in the other 8 games.

A contract is about future production, right? And stopping the run is part of the equation too.

I'm with Stout in that, as of right now, I'm not giving him anything more than a mid-range deal. Certainly not using the Franchise tag on him either. Maybe the transition tag? Although not for sure how that one works.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what you’ve seen in his last 10 games played would you spend big money to extend him?

Big money no but I would like to keep him if the numbers are realistic.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know how they define pressures but the pass he deflected was clearly a pressure that's how he deflected the ball he was in Rodgers face.

I don't take anything from last nights game he came off Covid and Rodgers threw the ball so fast last night. After the first game he was very quiet absolutely we need more but to me last night was a first game back didn't expect much. Has to do more going forward that's for sure

I mean, this excuses his lack of sacks. There are other things EDGE players have to do and he did none of them either.

34 run plays and he had 1 tackle and zero TFL's.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A contract is about future production, right? And stopping the run is part of the equation too.

I'm with Stout in that, as of right now, I'm not giving him anything more than a mid-range deal. Certainly not using the Franchise tag on him either. Maybe the transition tag? Although not for sure how that one works.

I was always in the not paying him a bunch of money camp. Even after game 1. Worse case you tag him. Even if you tag him the next 2 years it costs far less than the current FA market.

No way I'd let him walk. Worse case I'd tag him for just under $18m and trade him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, this excuses his lack of sacks. There are other things EDGE players have to do and he did none of them either.

34 run plays and he had 1 tackle and zero TFL's.

He's not a good run defender he never really has been. You pay Chandler Jones to get sacks and wreck plays. the Titans game is what you pay for, not expecting 5 sacks and 2 fumbles of course but that's what you pay him to do. He has to start doing it again if he wants to get paid.

AzRedbird69

Rookie
Reaction score
Then you pay him with a fine contract, not a exceptional or even a good one. I think we'll move on from CJ after this year.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I was always in the not paying him a bunch of money camp. Even after game 1. Worse case you tag him. Even if you tag him the next 2 years it costs far less than the current FA market.

No way I'd let him walk. Worse case I'd tag him for just under $18m and trade him.

18 million... that is a lot of money. And you would think the FT might make a contentious situation even more so. Jones might hold out if he knows his last pay day is at stake.

But I don't follow contracts enough like you and Chopper for example to have an good opinion on this potential scenario. Hopefully CJ balls out the rest of the year, and we sign him to a decent two or three year deal (I guess).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not a good run defender he never really has been. You pay Chandler Jones to get sacks and wreck plays. the Titans game is what you pay for, not expecting 5 sacks and 2 fumbles of course but that's what you pay him to do. He has to start doing it again if he wants to get paid.

Come on man. There are 65 defensive snaps in a game. On average you would expect one sack a game. He can't just take the other 64 off.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not a ringing endorsement. The Waffle House of EDGE defenders. "Meh. He's fine".
If you are going to play soft, off-man coverage all game vs a HOF QB, your EDGE rushers will not have much of an impact. Just how it goes.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
18 million... that is a lot of money. And you would think the FT might make a contentious situation even more so. Jones might hold out if he knows his last pay day is at stake.

But I don't follow contracts enough like you and Chopper for example to have an good opinion on this potential scenario. Hopefully CJ balls out the rest of the year, and we sign him to a decent two or three year deal (I guess).

CJ is too old to hold out. Not enough years left to risk losing one. And worse case scenario you can at least trade him. Letting him walk for nothing would be dumb. Even if it's only a 3rd or 4th you get.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Come on man. There are 65 defensive snaps in a game. On average you would expect one sack a game. He can't just take the other 64 off.
Aaron Donald has 3.5 sacks in 7 games this year...come on. You are blowing this way out of proportion.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just read he had ZERO pressures last night. 30 pass plays. ZERO pressures. He’s not chandler jones anymore. He’s just a guy. People said it was too soon to judge the four games of his last year where he was ineffective. We’ve now seen that other than a game where he was rushing against a tackle who came back too early from injury, chandler is the same guy we saw the first four games of last season. And that’s with the added bonus of playing alongside jJ watt. Don’t pay him. You can’t.
In fairness Rodgers was getting rid of the ball in like a half second to complete his dink and dunk passes that somehow we couldn't defend until the last drive. No one was getting a sack last night.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If you are going to play soft, off-man coverage all game vs a HOF QB, your EDGE rushers will not have much of an impact. Just how it goes.

In the sack game sure. He had 1 tackle and zero TFL's on 34 run plays. That's bad.

Here's Aaron Jones chart and most of the runs are to Jones side (No chart for Dillon but I think also mostly his side from memory)

You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not saying you can I'm saying nobody has ever paid Chandler Jones as a run defender they paid him to get after the QB and cause turnovers. he's not doing it now, if he wants to get paid he has to. He's never been a good run defender so it doesn't surprise me he's not a good run defender now.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Aaron Donald has 3.5 sacks in 7 games this year...come on. You are blowing this way out of proportion.

Why? If he isn't getting sacks (which he's not) and people here are saying in this thread he's never been good vs the run what exactly is he doing?

He has 5 sacks, 5 TFLs and 14 QB hits on the year.

The 5 sacks, the 5 TFL's and 6 of the QB Hits came in game 1. In the other 5 games he has no sacks, no TFL's and 8 QB hits.

Of his 10 solo tackles 6 of them were in game 1. Of his 10 combined tackles 6 of them were in game 1.

He's literally done nothing since game 1.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
In the sack game sure. He had 1 tackle and zero TFL's on 34 run plays. That's bad.

Here's Aaron Jones chart and most of the runs are to Jones side (No chart for Dillon but I think also mostly his side from memory)

You must be registered for see images attach
I feel like you are changing the argument from "Chandler Jones isn't producing as a pass rusher" to "Chandler Jones didn't impact the run game". Russ said this, Chandler Jones has never been a plus run defender. That isn't why he got paid or will get paid. If you are saying you don't want to pay him because he is a one dimensional player and you need more from your high paid players than one dimensional play, just say that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not saying you can I'm saying nobody has ever paid Chandler Jones as a run defender they paid him to get after the QB and cause turnovers. he's not doing it now, if he wants to get paid he has to. He's never been a good run defender so it doesn't surprise me he's not a good run defender now.

Just because he's never been a GREAT run defender doesn't mean he just gets let off the hook for being garbage.

If this is the case he should be a situational pass rusher and should only see the field on obvious passing downs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like you are changing the argument from "Chandler Jones isn't producing as a pass rusher" to "Chandler Jones didn't impact the run game". Russ said this, Chandler Jones has never been a plus run defender. That isn't why he got paid or will get paid. If you are saying you don't want to pay him because he is a one dimensional player and you need more from your high paid players than one dimensional play, just say that.

Well yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Seems pretty obvious.

If you play all 3 downs you get paid to perform on all 3 downs. I'm not saying he should be elite vs the run on rushing downs but you can't be complete trash like he was last night and in other games this year.

And if he is why is he in there? Save him for obvious passing down and play someone that can stop the run. Play Allen on the Edge if needs be.

You can't just let him get away with being total garbage. 1 tackle in a game they ran 34 times is pathetic. Markus Golden had 5. Kennard had as many as CJ and only played 12 snaps.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really get what you want me to say about it. Jones was actually back with the Cards on Friday for the Sunday game with the Texans. At the time Vance said he's here, we haven't officially reinstated him yet he's smiling we're doing his physical etc we'll see how he looks. He did not get activated for Sunday so I think it's fairly obvious he wasn't in good enough shape for them to feel they should play him. 4 days later is it really a shock to anybody that he didn't go out and dominate Green Bay?

I think we are generally in agreement we need to be careful about how we handle his contract. He's not the guy who got 5 sacks in the opener, I also don't think he's the guy we saw last night.

forever red

Rookie
Reaction score
Great guy and great teammate but no longer worth the bucks he wants. Have to follow Belichek's strategy which is not to pay guys for past performance. does mean our top priority in draft is a difference making pass rusher

Reaction score
After that first game everyone thought Chandlers contract demands were gonna be sky high and definitely warranted.

After him being largely invisible for the next 5 games he’s played including GB tonight against their back up LT.

How many still feel that he’s worth a really big multi year extension? I think at this point unless he really turns it around I’d be inclined to let him walk.
I hear you..but 95% of rodgers passes were quick short passes. I think what hurt us was being without our normal dl rotation including lawrence and peters (of course jj watt). . Keim time to get fletcher cox in here!!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard