Anybody else down on CJ

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Jones did not make much of a difference in 2020, and his replacements ended up outshining him. Outside of one game this year, there is nothing this year that indicates he should be paid top dollar.

I don't see how you pay and aging Jones and Watt, along with Jordan Phillips. Too risky, and we need to get younger/better on the line.

I hope they can work something out with Jones, but if Reddick is available this offseason, who would you rather pay?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
With 6 games Chandler Jones is tied for 18th in the NFL in pressures.

I am sure it will come down to money. Robert Quinn is the same age and makes 14 mil per year. Khalil Mack makes 22. I am sure that is the range Jones will be looking for. His production will dictate what end of the range he argues for.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
CJ is too old to hold out. Not enough years left to risk losing one. And worse case scenario you can at least trade him. Letting him walk for nothing would be dumb. Even if it's only a 3rd or 4th you get.
A) we’d get a comp pick; b) no one is giving up a 3rd or 4th for a guy who isn’t good in the run game and will likely finish with 9 sacks - 5 coming in the first game of the season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why? If he isn't getting sacks (which he's not) and people here are saying in this thread he's never been good vs the run what exactly is he doing?

He has 5 sacks, 5 TFLs and 14 QB hits on the year.

The 5 sacks, the 5 TFL's and 6 of the QB Hits came in game 1. In the other 5 games he has no sacks, no TFL's and 8 QB hits.

Of his 10 solo tackles 6 of them were in game 1. Of his 10 combined tackles 6 of them were in game 1.

He's literally done nothing since game 1.
Yeesh

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't really get what you want me to say about it. Jones was actually back with the Cards on Friday for the Sunday game with the Texans. At the time Vance said he's here, we haven't officially reinstated him yet he's smiling we're doing his physical etc we'll see how he looks. He did not get activated for Sunday so I think it's fairly obvious he wasn't in good enough shape for them to feel they should play him. 4 days later is it really a shock to anybody that he didn't go out and dominate Green Bay?

I think we are generally in agreement we need to be careful about how we handle his contract. He's not the guy who got 5 sacks in the opener, I also don't think he's the guy we saw last night.
The guy last night is the same guy we’ve seen in 4 of 5 other games he’s played this year and the four he played last year. He’s not somewhere between Titans and packers games. He’s packers game guy now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
With 6 games Chandler Jones is tied for 18th in the NFL in pressures.

I am sure it will come down to money. Robert Quinn is the same age and makes 14 mil per year. Khalil Mack makes 22. I am sure that is the range Jones will be looking for. His production will dictate what end of the range he argues for.
Totally skewed by game 1

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't really get what you want me to say about it. Jones was actually back with the Cards on Friday for the Sunday game with the Texans. At the time Vance said he's here, we haven't officially reinstated him yet he's smiling we're doing his physical etc we'll see how he looks. He did not get activated for Sunday so I think it's fairly obvious he wasn't in good enough shape for them to feel they should play him. 4 days later is it really a shock to anybody that he didn't go out and dominate Green Bay?

I think we are generally in agreement we need to be careful about how we handle his contract. He's not the guy who got 5 sacks in the opener, I also don't think he's the guy we saw last night.

The covid excuse might fly if this game was any different from the 4 previous games he played since week 1.

I think it's a valid point to say that if he is so poor at doing the things that aren't rushing the passer why don't we use him more situationally?

I also checked. He's down in this area so it's not like he;s always been this way. His last full year he had 53 combined tackles. That's 3.31 per game.

Last year he average 2 in his 5 games. He's currently running at 1.66 per game. So he's down 50% on 2019. And as I said, 6 of those came in one game. Exclude that he's at 0.8 per game.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just checked PFF for what it's worth. He's current EDGE #39 with a grade of 70. Worse than both Kennard and Golden.

Chandlers run defense grade is 29.8. It's the 2nd worse out of 110 EDGE defenders. Kennard has a 75.7 run defense grade.

Maybe we should consider swapping them out a bit more on run downs?

Looking at the chart I posted for Aaron Jones looks like the Packers saw this and ran right at Chandler all night.

Reaction score
1) No, you can't pay CJ top dollar contracts going forward. But I certainly would offer an equitable contract. If he chooses to go elsewhere for more than the Cardinals feel he is worth, so be it.
2) Along with #1 above, the team MUST seek an eventual replacement for CJ in the coming off-season.
3) Yes, the Cardinals should have made Reddick a better, but not premier offer. Water under the bridge!
4) Along with the quick pass game, the Packers were doubling CJ most of the night by bringing a TE across his face, and attempting to cut him (Scout Feed commentators mentioned this in the broadcast).
5) The Packers had a 4.44 YPC average for the game; less than the Cardinals defense season average of 4.9 YPC.

P. S. - The Scout Feed commentary via Amazon Prime which I mention above, was far, FAR more enjoyable than listening to Buck/Aikman!!

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jones did not make much of a difference in 2020, and his replacements ended up outshining him. Outside of one game this year, there is nothing this year that indicates he should be paid top dollar.

I don't see how you pay and aging Jones and Watt, along with Jordan Phillips. Too risky, and we need to get younger/better on the line.

I hope they can work something out with Jones, but if Reddick is available this offseason, who would you rather pay?

I haven't even thought about the idea of bringing back Reddick because I forgot he only signed a 1 year deal in Carolina. Bring him home! Just like we brought Golden back home.

I'd much rather sign a 27 year old than a 31 year old to a multi-year deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard