AFI List of Top 100 Quotes From U.S. Films

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

2. "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse," "The Godfather," 1972.

3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am," "On the Waterfront," 1954.

4. "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

5. "Here's looking at you, kid," "Casablanca," 1942.

6. "Go ahead, make my day," "Sudden Impact," 1983.

7. "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.

8. "May the Force be with you," "Star Wars," 1977.

9. "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night," "All About Eve," 1950.

10. "You talking to me?" "Taxi Driver," 1976.

11. "What we've got here is failure to communicate," "Cool Hand Luke," 1967.

12. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning," "Apocalypse Now," 1979.

13. "Love means never having to say you're sorry," "Love Story," 1970.

14. "The stuff that dreams are made of," "The Maltese Falcon," 1941.

15. "E.T. phone home," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," 1982.

16. "They call me Mister Tibbs!", "In the Heat of the Night," 1967.

17. "Rosebud," "Citizen Kane," 1941.

18. "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!", "White Heat," 1949.

19. "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!", "Network," 1976.

20. "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship," "Casablanca," 1942.

21. "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti," "The Silence of the Lambs," 1991.

22. "Bond. James Bond," "Dr. No," 1962.

23. "There's no place like home," "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

24. "I am big! It's the pictures that got small," "Sunset Blvd.," 1950.

25. "Show me the money!", "Jerry Maguire," 1996.

26. "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?", "She Done Him Wrong," 1933.

27. "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!", "Midnight Cowboy," 1969.

28. "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By,'" "Casablanca," 1942.

29. "You can't handle the truth!", "A Few Good Men," 1992.

30. "I want to be alone," "Grand Hotel," 1932.

31. "After all, tomorrow is another day!", "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

32. "Round up the usual suspects," "Casablanca," 1942.

33. "I'll have what she's having," "When Harry Met Sally...," 1989.

34. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow," "To Have and Have Not," 1944.

35. "You're gonna need a bigger boat," "Jaws," 1975.

36. "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!", "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," 1948.

37. "I'll be back," "The Terminator," 1984.

38. "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth," "The Pride of the Yankees," 1942.

39. "If you build it, he will come," "Field of Dreams," 1989.

40. "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get," "Forrest Gump," 1994.

41. "We rob banks," "Bonnie and Clyde," 1967.

42. "Plastics," "The Graduate," 1967.

43. "We'll always have Paris," "Casablanca," 1942.

44. "I see dead people," "The Sixth Sense," 1999.

45. "Stella! Hey, Stella!", "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.

46. "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars," "Now, Voyager," 1942.

47. "Shane. Shane. Come back!", "Shane," 1953.

48. "Well, nobody's perfect," "Some Like It Hot," 1959.

49. "It's alive! It's alive!", "Frankenstein," 1931.

50. "Houston, we have a problem," "Apollo 13," 1995.

51. "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?", "Dirty Harry," 1971.

52. "You had me at `hello,'" "Jerry Maguire," 1996.

53. "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know," "Animal Crackers," 1930.

54. "There's no crying in baseball!", "A League of Their Own," 1992.

55. "La-dee-da, la-dee-da," "Annie Hall," 1977.

56. "A boy's best friend is his mother," "Psycho," 1960.

57. "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good," "Wall Street," 1987.

58. "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer," "The Godfather Part II," 1974.

59. "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again," "Gone With the Wind," 1939.

60. "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!", "Sons of the Desert," 1933.

61. "Say `hello' to my little friend!", "Scarface," 1983.

62. "What a dump," "Beyond the Forest," 1949.

63. "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?", "The Graduate," 1967.

64. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!", "Dr. Strangelove," 1964.

65. "Elementary, my dear Watson," "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," 1929.

66. "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape," "Planet of the Apes," 1968.

67. "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine," "Casablanca," 1942.

68. "Here's Johnny!", "The Shining," 1980.

69. "They're here!", "Poltergeist," 1982.

70. "Is it safe?", "Marathon Man," 1976.

71. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!", "The Jazz Singer," 1927.

72. "No wire hangers, ever!", "Mommie Dearest," 1981.

73. "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?", "Little Caesar," 1930.

74. "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown," "Chinatown," 1974.

75. "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers," "A Streetcar Named Desire," 1951.

76. "Hasta la vista, baby," "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," 1991.

77. "Soylent Green is people!", "Soylent Green," 1973.

78. "Open the pod bay doors, HAL," "2001: A Space Odyssey," 1968.

79. Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious ... and don't call me Shirley," "Airplane!", 1980.

80. "Yo, Adrian!", "Rocky," 1976.

81. "Hello, gorgeous," "Funny Girl," 1968.

82. "Toga! Toga!", "National Lampoon's Animal House," 1978.

83. "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make," "Dracula," 1931.

84. "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast," "King Kong," 1933.

85. "My precious," "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers," 2002.

86. "Attica! Attica!", "Dog Day Afternoon," 1975.

87. "Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!", "42nd Street," 1933.

88. "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!", "On Golden Pond," 1981.

89. "Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper," "Knute Rockne, All American," 1940.

90. "A martini. Shaken, not stirred," "Goldfinger," 1964.

91. "Who's on first," "The Naughty Nineties," 1945.

92. "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!", "Caddyshack," 1980.

93. "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!", "Auntie Mame," 1958.

94. "I feel the need — the need for speed!", "Top Gun," 1986.

95. "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary," "Dead Poets Society," 1989.

96. "Snap out of it!", "Moonstruck," 1987.

97. "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," 1942.

98. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner," "Dirty Dancing," 1987.

99. "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!", "The Wizard of Oz," 1939.

100. "I'm king of the world!", "Titanic," 1997.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3. "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am," "On the Waterfront," 1954.
This one's my favorite. One of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies.

I watched from about #60 last night. Good show.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Say Hello to my little friend should be way higher. Who came up with these rankings, 80 year olds. #1 is a joke.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Are you kidding? Lemme guess, you've never seen Gone With The Wind.

I don't have a problem with # 1 - but the rankings are very skewed to pre-1960

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Are you kidding? Lemme guess, you've never seen Gone With The Wind.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm under 40 so I see it from a younger persons perspective. When I hear people recite movie quotes it sure isn't that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Maybe it's the fact that I'm under 40 so I see it from a younger persons perspective. When I hear people recite movie quotes it sure isn't that.

This generation probably quotes Pulp Fiction more. Blech. I'm actually quite surprised there wasn't a quote from that movie on the list.

I'm under 40, too, by the way. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
This generation probably quotes Pulp Fiction more. Blech. I'm actually quite surprised there wasn't a quote from that movie on the list.

I'm under 40, too, by the way. :D

I'm under 30 and everyone I know would be able to snap that quote off in a coma. Or most of those quotes for that matter.

I'm shocked that there isn't a Pulp quote on there. Just a simple "Royale with Cheese" would suffice.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I'm under 30 and everyone I know would be able to snap that quote off in a coma. Or most of those quotes for that matter.

I'm shocked that there isn't a Pulp quote on there. Just a simple "Royale with Cheese" would suffice.

I'm actually GLAD there isn't one...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

No, I just think Pulp Fiction is overrated.

For example, I think the quote "The List is life" should have been on the list, from Schindler's List.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
No, I just think Pulp Fiction is overrated.

i'm just screwing with you Chap - we ain't on the Suns board. ;)

Personally, I think Pulp is one of the greatest movies of all time, but I can understand it's a love it or leave it type flick.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
Personally, I think Pulp is one of the greatest movies of all time, but I can understand it's a love it or leave it type flick.

Really? I'm quite surprised. That's very PC of you. It just seems so "in" to think Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest movies of all time. IMO, it's not even one of the top 2 movies that Tarantino has ever made. Both Reservoir Dogs and the complete Kill Bill are better.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm dissapointed to see no quotes from The Usual Suspects or any Mel Brooks movies.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Assface said:
I'm dissapointed to see no quotes from The Usual Suspects or any Mel Brooks movies.

Good ones. Maybe with Usual Suspects it's one of those cases where the movie just wasn't seen by as many people. I don't know. As Jon pointed out, they did tend to go with older films.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Really? I'm quite surprised. That's very PC of you. It just seems so "in" to think Pulp Fiction is one of the greatest movies of all time. IMO, it's not even one of the top 2 movies that Tarantino has ever made. Both Reservoir Dogs and the complete Kill Bill are better.

PC of me? Huh? Sorry man, I sat in a theater at Town and Country during my thanksgiving of my freshman year of college and was mesmerized from start to finish. Then, saw it another 3 times once back in Champaign throughout dead wee. Bottom line, I had never seen anything like it and felt completely blown away by it. It's not PC to love something just because other people love it. That's kind of a weird thing to say.

Res dogs was good - and I loved the Kill Bill series, actually, almost as much as Pulp, but Pulp just had something magical about it - performances, style, story - all of it. If that's PC, well then I guess I'm PC. :confused:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Say Hello to my little friend should be way higher. Who came up with these rankings, 80 year olds. #1 is a joke.
JPlay, please understand I'm saying this without malice: You do see things from a different perspective--one that can't see past 1980, probably.

The reason there are so many "old" films featured on this list is because those are films that define the medium. "Frankly, I don't give a damn" wouldn't have been my top choice, but there is certainly no way to argue that it being there isn't without merit.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me in the least that the quotes are older.

A movie quote has to withstand the test of time before it becomes memorable. Great lines from movies we saw last year will eventually make this list. All in good time.

How many americans age 18-80 know the line "We're off to see the wizard"

vs.

How many in the same age group know "Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead"?

They'll get there.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
JPlay, please understand I'm saying this without malice: You do see things from a different perspective--one that can't see past 1980, probably.

The reason there are so many "old" films featured on this list is because those are films that define the medium. "Frankly, I don't give a damn" wouldn't have been my top choice, but there is certainly no way to argue that it being there isn't without merit.

yeah, I would think "Here's looking at you kid" could have been #1...

Mike

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
14. "The stuff that dreams are made of," "The Maltese Falcon," 1941.

Does anyone remember when this is said? I think it's the last line in the film, but I can't remember for sure. Thanks.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the rankings, but "Who is Keyser Soze?" at the very least should have made it...though you could go with dozens of quotes from that movie.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Does anyone remember when this is said? I think it's the last line in the film, but I can't remember for sure. Thanks.

That is correct. The police officer holding the statue asks what it is and Bogart says, "It's... the stuff that dreams are made of."