Adrian Peterson wants out of minnesota

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Its a 32 year old who has hardly played in a year and has had his share of injuries.

Don't trade first round picks for aging vets with question marks, not now, not ever. And especially at running back, the position with the shortest shelf life and so much reliance on the system.

Name recognition. RB's fall off a cliff around 30. Even AP came back to earth after his monster 2012 season.

If he gets released sure go after him but you aren't giving a 1st rounder for a old back PLUS paying him at that salary.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the national media fails to understand that while Peterson may want out of Minnesota, there is very little beneift to Minnesota to get rid of him. He is under contract. They are not desperate in terms of cap space. He would cost them dead money to cut. If they can't deal him by the beginning of free agency, it drives the required trade cost higher because they are not able to use the cap savings to sign a player.

I'm not sure I see the Vikings getting rid of him. They have all of the leverage.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting that the national media fails to understand that while Peterson may want out of Minnesota, there is very little beneift to Minnesota to get rid of him. He is under contract. They are not desperate in terms of cap space. He would cost them dead money to cut. If they can't deal him by the beginning of free agency, it drives the required trade cost higher because they are not able to use the cap savings to sign a player.

I'm not sure I see the Vikings getting rid of him. They have all of the leverage.

You never want your franchise player disgruntled. That could be the case with AP.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You never want your franchise player disgruntled. That could be the case with AP.

He isn't their franchise player anymore. Teddy Bridgewater is. Peterson is a 29 year old RB who is under contract for 3 more years, and would cost the Vikings 2.4 mil to cut or trade this year. Happy or not, they would need a pretty good reason to get rid of him, and eat that 2.4 mil. He has no leverage. If he sits out the season, he loses money, and then is a 30 year old RB who hasn't played in two years. I don't see Peterson doing that and missing out on his 15.4 mil base salary.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He isn't their franchise player anymore. Teddy Bridgewater is. Peterson is a 29 year old RB who is under contract for 3 more years, and would cost the Vikings 2.4 mil to cut or trade this year. Happy or not, they would need a pretty good reason to get rid of him, and eat that 2.4 mil. He has no leverage. If he sits out the season, he loses money, and then is a 30 year old RB who hasn't played in two years. I don't see Peterson doing that and missing out on his 15.4 mil base salary.

I disagree. He hasn't shown enough yet. Maybe in the next year or two.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peterson will be 30 this March 21.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I disagree. He hasn't shown enough yet. Maybe in the next year or two.

You can disagree all you want, Bridewater is who the team is marketing right now. The Vikings are making Bridgewater the face of their team right now. This isn't speculation, he is what they are marketing to their fans. Fact.

Bridgewater is who the team is pushing out there, not Adrian Peterson which is why they hold all of the leverage. They are fine with the cap. Peterson is under contract with money on the books. If Peterson sits, he passes on a huge amount of money. Peterson's earning years are fading, and he plays a position that is not friendly to aging players.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can disagree all you want, Bridewater is who the team is marketing right now. The Vikings are making Bridgewater the face of their team right now. This isn't speculation, he is what they are marketing to their fans. Fact.

Marketing itself is rarely based off of facts. It is based on perception and emotion.

They are distancing themselves from Peterson, but he is still their franchise player unless he isn't playing for them anymore. Just like you said, right now. If he is still on their team, he will still be their franchise player. Fact. (which is no more fact than yours is)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Marketing itself is rarely based off of facts. It is based on perception and emotion.

They are distancing themselves from Peterson, but he is still their franchise player unless he isn't playing for them anymore. Just like you said, right now. If he is still on their team, he will still be their franchise player. Fact. (which is no more fact than yours is)

If a team is marketing a guy as the face of their franchise, and he is their franchise player because that is what they are selling to the public. The fact that the team is distancing themselves from Peterson, and he is not in their future marketing plans disqualifies him from being their franchise player.

You are trying to make a statement that because Peterson may be their best player, that makes him their franchise player, which is wrong. The franchise is being built around Teddy Bridgewater and not Adrian Peterson.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think you are both right. adrian was in a serious legal battle for a while and it came at a time where the NFL was looking to save their reputation so he got punished harshly for it. I think because of that issue there is some question to whether or not Minnesota still wants him to be their franchise player. Certainly AD has stirred the pot by saying he's not sure he wants to stay. If he does stay and is anywhere close to being what he was he is still their franchise player IMO. I think they will look to keep him, but if a trade scenario works out he could be dealt. I doubt they will cut him.

I don't see the point in trading high draft picks for AD because he is older now. Maybe trading a player or players straight up and working out the finances. but you don't have many years left where AD will be playing at that level. Same with Murray...I dont know that teams will want to sign him to a huge contract, but the team I fear that will is Indy. Murray is a tough dude. he runs hard inside and is built like a beast. he rarely gets stopped on 3rd or 4th and short which to me is a make or break for an offense. then he has the speed to bounce outside and get extra yards. my only issue is his fumbles have caused the cowboys some key games including the playoff loss to GB. if he doesn't fumble dallas might win.

Last edited:

thephoenixson28

All Star
Reaction score
With this Dockett news we need a big splash like a trade for AP. I don't think it happens though. I heard that after a meeting with the GM of the Vikings. He changed his twitter profile page to his viking jersey. I don't know how people would take it. But I think he stays in Minnesota.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard