2024 1st round pick #4 is Marvin Harrison Jr

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn't Micheal Jordan have a similar situation with merch/shoes when he came out? It has been a long time so the details excape me.

Thinking this is nothing to be concerned about. Most reports suggest he is an extremely hard worker not resting on his family name.
A whole movie was made about Michael changing the game of athletes owning their own brand starting Ben Affleck. Some of these posters on here doesnt want that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's weird to say that $250k at age 23 can only change your life in bad ways while advocating for others to get paid more right now while they can. Even with taxes taken out, it's a ton of money and can set him up for a paid-off car and renting a place for years without having to lift a finger at work.

I didn't make a total of $250k in my 20s. Sure would have been nice to have instead of not.

I think I understand where BIM is coming from though, that every single thing will become a microtransaction with MHJ and his dad will always be at the forefront of every situation. It's a worry that they could become like the situation with LaVar Ball and his kids... who got paid a lot, and fine for them, but as a fan of the teams that picked them... woof.
Renting a place for years leaves you with nothing at the end of that time. They’re obviously doing some for work, because they’re professional football players. They can’t have a job as a bank teller to supplement.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Renting a place for years leaves you with nothing at the end of that time. They’re obviously doing some for work, because they’re professional football players. They can’t have a job as a bank teller to supplement.
I think you're missing my point. Even if he doesn't make the roster he has a tremendous head start on almost everyone else his age. He can go be a bank teller with a brand new car and no worries about putting a roof over his head, so all of that income from bank telling can go into savings and investment.

Even if we take out the "renting" portion of this, post-taxes, $250k is still enough for a solid car and a down payment on a house with a mortgage. So he'll have "something" at the end of that time.

Again, I rented for most of my 20s and at his age slept on an air mattress on the floor in my gambling-addict buddy's house with 2 other roommates. I wasn't saving a dime and barely made any money to get ahead, much less invest.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think you're missing my point. Even if he doesn't make the roster he has a tremendous head start on almost everyone else his age. He can go be a bank teller with a brand new car and no worries about putting a roof over his head, so all of that income from bank telling can go into savings and investment.

Even if we take out the "renting" portion of this, post-taxes, $250k is still enough for a solid car and a down payment on a house with a mortgage. So he'll have "something" at the end of that time.

Again, I rented for most of my 20s and at his age slept on an air mattress on the floor in my gambling-addict buddy's house with 2 other roommates. I wasn't saving a dime and barely made any money to get ahead, much less invest.
I'm not quite sure where we differ on this; so I'll make one more post here to try and find common ground and let you have the last word.

I think it's great that all these young guys get as much money as they can. Economist Roger Ibbotson published this chart years ago, showing how most workers convert their human capital to financial capital as they age:

You must be registered for see images attach

For professional athletes, most of them need to convert their human capital into financial capital immediately, then HODL for the next four or five decades. When I was a college teacher, I had a few students who were, like, pro baseball prospects and were carefully planning around whatever six-figure signing bonus/paychecks they had.

Let's look at how far that $250k might go, really. Let's say they spent/advanced $10k for pre-draft process. 25% goes to taxes. The prospect spends another $30k on a 2022 Ram 1500 (or the equivalent).

The remaining $185,000 is probably the largest single chunk of money he'll ever have. Should he put $75k of that down for a mortgage? Can he support the payment if he doesn't have an NFL job? Most of these guys walk out of college with no degree or skills. One of the things that's great about NIL in college is more and more mid-tier prospects can still make tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in school and have that base to work from.

I don't begrudge any of these guys a single dollar that they're working for; as long as it's not a distraction from their team work -- and there's no indication it is for MHJ -- do your thing, king.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, and god forbid some of us see this as life changing money we'd pretty much die for.

I mean, they pretty much are dying 20 years, on average, early for it.

The average life expectancy for an NFL player is 20 years shorter than the average American.

Last edited:

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These guys need to get every penny they can.

The police confirmed his identity only after finding a match for his fingerprints. Ryan Christopher Hoffman. Born July 15, 1974. Died Nov. 16, 2015, with nothing to his name but the $13 discovered in a pocket of his khaki shorts.

While former players are alive, they and their families can only wonder if football damaged their brains and, for some, subsequently caused their troubles. Once they die, more and more families are racing to get the players’ brains, or some portion of them, to neurological experts who can look for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a progressive disease widely believed to be caused by repeated hits to the head.

Researchers at Boston University and the Department of Veterans Affairs have found C.T.E. in 120 of the 132 brains they have examined from former N.F.L., semipro and college players. That’s more than 90 percent

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Man, and god forbid some of us see this as life changing money we'd pretty much die for.

Rookie undrafted free agents sign contracts for a league minimum years, and those salaries will be $795,000, $960,000, and $1.075 million over the next three.

The Cardinals just paid Xavier Weaver $255,000 guaranteed. A guy who may never see an NFL snap. That will immediately buy him a house and a car. I slept on an air mattress in my early 20s on the floor of a friend's place after getting an academic scholarship to ASU and graduating in 4 years.

I'm playing a very tiny violin for the vast majority of these players, and I used to be friends with many. I will work many years to make $255,000 in any job, and I'm now 37. My UDFA buddy from ten years ago has two cars, a home, and two jet skis from his time on the practice squad.

It's borderline offensive to make it sound like anyone just wants anyone to "shut up and catch" when it's more like "holy crap, count your blessings."
Bingo!
As Patrick Ewing once stupidly said, "We might make a lot of money but, we also spend a lot of money". Unlike the rest of us, they have families to feed. lol.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Because I'm a diehard Cardinals fan and a season ticket holder who goes to all of the games. Just not good optics. Several red flags and he hasn't even signed his rookie contract yet or done anything in the league.

He's going to make so many millions with endorsements and contracts, etc. Sign the standard licensing deal and move on already. Sign your rookie deal and let's go !! Fans want his jersey, and HE is the reason they cannot get one.

I was really hoping we'd get a great trade down offer and still get Rome Odunze. He seems more like a Gannon/Ossenfort guy than MHJ does, IMHO. Talented and humble but hungry and eager to prove himself at the next level. Not some silver spoon prima donna WR who treats everything like a business and has a helicopter dad guiding him at every step. Hopefully he is better on the field than he has been off the field so far.
Jesus is this an epically bad take.

This IS his business. And it’s often a short one. They SHOULD be treating this like a business. It’s only recreational for YOU.

Thus far he spent his offseason dedicated to getting ready for the season to entertain YOU but you want to call him a silver spoon prima Donna? Lame.

And “helicopter dad?” I’m betting you can’t actually provide a single fact to support that assertion.

What a sad old entitled man you sound like.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus is this an epically bad take.

This IS his business. And it’s often a short one. They SHOULD be treating this like a business. It’s only recreational for YOU.

Thus far he spent his offseason dedicated to getting ready for the season to entertain YOU but you want to call him a silver spoon prima Donna? Lame.

And “helicopter dad?” I’m betting you can’t actually provide a single fact to support that assertion.

What a sad old entitled man you sound like.
This last line wasn't necessary.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It goes so far beyond the jersey. That's probably chicken poop money compared to games, trading cards, etc. He has no licensing deal with NFLPA, not just Fanatics. I don't think the NFL/NFLPA can sell anything with him on it
Which makes his negotiating a GOOD deal even MORE important. The deal, not the time, is the most element in his earning potential. If you guys don’t get that, I REALLY want to negotiate with you on something!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Marvin has showed up to rookie camp, OTAs, & he’s going to show up to Minicamp that involves everybody.

As long as he is showing up & connecting with his teammates, everyone will be extremely happy.
Correct. Not even the smallest of “speed bumps” as far as the cardinals are concerned.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with you on the surface. I did want them to draft MHJ, however his antics leading up to OTA’s has been less than desirable. First the combine, then pro day and now the licensing deal. I’ve said it in a previous thread, he’s trending in wrong direction off the field. I also get the diva vibe from him (or maybe it’s just his dad driving that bus). I hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised to see some hiccup in the contract talks.
What’s interesting is not one person to my knowledge, media, coaches, old teammates, new teammates, has had a single negative thing to say about the guy. But some cardinals fans are worried about him because he chose to continue to mold his body for the nfl (instead of the underwear Olympics which could have only hurt his draft status) and because he’s taking care of business of endorsements of his likeness. Unbelievable really.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For real. Harrison senior is now a slumlord in philly, there's video of him menacing a tenet with a baseball bat. When he was a player he and a friend beat up some kids pestering him for an autograph.
He also killed a guy but that’s not talked about. What matters though is Jr is a good kid who is driven to succeed. Who cares if he doesn’t sign the deal. Why does he have to?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Man all i heard is “shut up and catch”. God forbid these players want something better for themselves since their career is so short.
Right. They have short careers and two means of making money during those brief years: playing football (which is apparently what MHJ was prepping for) and marketing their likeness (which is what the fanatics stuff is about). And some cardinals fans want to castigate the kid. It’s ridiculous.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. They have short careers and two means of making money during those brief years: playing football (which is apparently what MHJ was prepping for) and marketing their likeness (which is what the fanatics stuff is about). And some cardinals fans want to castigate the kid. It’s ridiculous.

The sour grapes and “shut up and catch” crap from people who didn’t get their guy in the draft is really ridiculous.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s interesting is not one person to my knowledge, media, coaches, old teammates, new teammates, has had a single negative thing to say about the guy. But some cardinals fans are worried about him because he chose to continue to mold his body for the nfl (instead of the underwear Olympics which could have only hurt his draft status) and because he’s taking care of business of endorsements of his likeness. Unbelievable really.
I find it surprising that you don't find it believable. There are people out there that need to complain about something...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Rookie undrafted free agents sign contracts for a league minimum years, and those salaries will be $795,000, $960,000, and $1.075 million over the next three.

The Cardinals just paid Xavier Weaver $255,000 guaranteed. A guy who may never see an NFL snap. That will immediately buy him a house and a car. I slept on an air mattress in my early 20s on the floor of a friend's place after getting an academic scholarship to ASU and graduating in 4 years.

I'm playing a very tiny violin for the vast majority of these players, and I used to be friends with many. I will work many years to make $255,000 in any job, and I'm now 37. My UDFA buddy from ten years ago has two cars, a home, and two jet skis from his time on the practice squad.

It's borderline offensive to make it sound like anyone just wants anyone to "shut up and catch" when it's more like "holy crap, count your blessings."
Why should they be told to count their blessings any more than young professionals entering the workforce and negotiating the best deal for them? I get the petty jealousy (let’s call it what it is - it is jealousy - no matter whether we believe paying entertainers ridiculous money compared to teachers is right or not, that’s an entirely different conversation - it’s jealousy that someone else has skills, traits, other that makes them monetarily more valued in todays society). But we don’t seem to get this kind of jealousy directed at professionals, just athletes. It’s really pretty lame. And who is to say they AREN’T counting their blessings?!! Most seem pretty stoked and even humble upon being drafted and signed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's weird to say that $250k at age 23 can only change your life in bad ways while advocating for others to get paid more right now while they can. Even with taxes taken out, it's a ton of money and can set him up for a paid-off car and renting a place for years without having to lift a finger at work.

I didn't make a total of $250k in my 20s. Sure would have been nice to have instead of not.

I think I understand where BIM is coming from though, that every single thing will become a microtransaction with MHJ and his dad will always be at the forefront of every situation. It's a worry that they could become like the situation with LaVar Ball and his kids... who got paid a lot, and fine for them, but as a fan of the teams that picked them... woof.
Know what’s funny? The only ones who who were hurt by lavar were his kids earning potential with missed shoe opportunities. In the end he didn’t determine where they ended up. He didn’t become a coach killer. They kids have played to their abilities and either succeeded or failed. And lavar is just a funny footnote in history.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure where we differ on this; so I'll make one more post here to try and find common ground and let you have the last word.

I think it's great that all these young guys get as much money as they can. Economist Roger Ibbotson published this chart years ago, showing how most workers convert their human capital to financial capital as they age:

You must be registered for see images attach

For professional athletes, most of them need to convert their human capital into financial capital immediately, then HODL for the next four or five decades. When I was a college teacher, I had a few students who were, like, pro baseball prospects and were carefully planning around whatever six-figure signing bonus/paychecks they had.

Let's look at how far that $250k might go, really. Let's say they spent/advanced $10k for pre-draft process. 25% goes to taxes. The prospect spends another $30k on a 2022 Ram 1500 (or the equivalent).

The remaining $185,000 is probably the largest single chunk of money he'll ever have. Should he put $75k of that down for a mortgage? Can he support the payment if he doesn't have an NFL job? Most of these guys walk out of college with no degree or skills. One of the things that's great about NIL in college is more and more mid-tier prospects can still make tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in school and have that base to work from.

I don't begrudge any of these guys a single dollar that they're working for; as long as it's not a distraction from their team work -- and there's no indication it is for MHJ -- do your thing, king.
And you haven’t even taken into consideration what his representation takes. This was a desired free agent. I’m betting he had representation to negotiate his deal.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sour grapes and “shut up and catch” crap from people who didn’t get their guy in the draft is really ridiculous.

People slagged Larry Fitzgerald hard his first couple of seasons. They never really let it go either as it popped up in the last few years of his career. Hell, even now that he is retired and waiting to be a first ballot HOFer, he still gets subtly jabbed occasionally.

So, MHJ has good company.