2022 World Cup Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I don't care for recycling Sargent into the lineup--we have the most crosses in open play and the least amount of shots on target. Our forwards don't get the job done, and hitting the post scores nothing. We should be playing with a false 9 in this game.

Also, bringing in Carter-Vickers? This is risky.
absolutely was risky....and he ended up bringing on Zimmerman anyway to see the 1-0 result through. How was Carter Vickers on the ball? He was shaky in some of those defensive moments towards the end. Call me a downer, but I hate that Berhalter gets very conservative late in games. he goes from almost full throttle to full conservative...too often for me. (I say almost full throttle because as most of you are all saying, he won't play his best attacking players up front because he's obsessed with playing sargent and wright. To be fair sargent played ok he at least got on the ball, but I still think aaronson and Reyna would be better options.

Haji Wright..hope he doesn't play again. he was lethargic in a moment that could of played through Aaronson. he should have run the ball to the corner to kill the clock off and he threw a prayer at the goal? also can we ban shaq Moore from ever replacing Dest again. why not Yedlin? anyway Dest should play every minute from now on.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I missed a lot of the match, I saw the goal and am gutted for Pulisic. I can't see him being able to play vs. The Netherlands especially if he had to go to the hospital. The Netherlands are a good matchup, but hard to imagine this team can win much more without their best goal scoring threat.

I thought the weah offsides call was tight and I don't know why VAR didn't look at it?
I thought I heard them say something about technology proves he was offside? It was a great finish by him though even if it didn't count. He should of had a goal before that.
I actually think Weah is our best goal scoring threat so far these past three games. I don't know why we haven't seen replays of the offside yet. Rob Stone said he was a 'half a player offside.' I haven't seen it though. They are normally good about showing replays. Not sure why we never saw this one.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I actually think Weah is our best goal scoring threat so far these past three games. I don't know why we haven't seen replays of the offside yet. Rob Stone said he was a 'half a player offside.' I haven't seen it though. They are normally good about showing replays. Not sure why we never saw this one.

I was watching the world feed for the WC not the Fox broadcast, they showed the computer model that showed Weah was offside with one his knees, it was really that close.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
yeah I won't argue weah, he looks very likely to score. I think our best option is to have him or Pulisic play central and put Aaronson or Reyna next to them. but I do know that Pulisic can play every position in the attack because he's done it at Chelsea and Dortmund. Clearly today Pulisic was determined to score a goal. he really set the tone with that early run that he made with the ball.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
now multiple reports are saying he got released and is day to day with a pelvic contusion, and he already told his teammates he is playing, but can't imagine that's gonna feel good later.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This is the best pic I could find of the offside computer model. The guy posting it doesn’t know what he is saying, you can’t be offside or played onside with a body part that can’t legally touch the ball (in other words hands and arms don’t count). His knee was just ahead of the defenders body.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score

Agreed.

I think half a player is stretching it. The defender was right on the grass cut. The broadcast angle wasn't great, but it couldn't have been more than a limb sneaking past

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
now multiple reports are saying he got released and is day to day with a pelvic contusion, and he already told his teammates he is playing, but can't imagine that's gonna feel good later.

So just a bruise. He should be able to manage that pain. He’ll need a couple of days rest but I would guess a young world class athlete can play with that by Saturday

Lorenzo

Reaction score
So just a bruise. He should be able to manage that pain. He’ll need a couple of days rest but I would guess a young world class athlete can play with that by Saturday
I hope so. did you hear there was a big dust up between Jurgen Klinsmann and the Iran manager because JK on BBC said Iran's culture is to work the refs to draw penalties? the Iran manager got upset and made a big stink about it, but after watching the match tonight and seeing the Iranian players literally scream and fake injuries today convinces me that JK actually spoke the truth.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is the best pic I could find of the offside computer model. The guy posting it doesn’t know what he is saying, you can’t be offside or played onside with a body part that can’t legally touch the ball (in other words hands and arms don’t count). His knee was just ahead of the defenders body.

Yep. They apparently use 12 cameras for a very quick decision. The major soccer leagues really need this tech as it'll save a lot of time in VAR.

Stout

Reaction score
absolutely was risky....and he ended up bringing on Zimmerman anyway to see the 1-0 result through. How was Carter Vickers on the ball? He was shaky in some of those defensive moments towards the end. Call me a downer, but I hate that Berhalter gets very conservative late in games. he goes from almost full throttle to full conservative...too often for me. (I say almost full throttle because as most of you are all saying, he won't play his best attacking players up front because he's obsessed with playing sargent and wright. To be fair sargent played ok he at least got on the ball, but I still think aaronson and Reyna would be better options.

Haji Wright..hope he doesn't play again. he was lethargic in a moment that could of played through Aaronson. he should have run the ball to the corner to kill the clock off and he threw a prayer at the goal? also can we ban shaq Moore from ever replacing Dest again. why not Yedlin? anyway Dest should play every minute from now on.
Eh, he was okay on the ball. He took some bad angles earlier in the game and was a bit shaky then as well. Nothing egregious, but nervy for sure.

Yeah, we needed to press Iran and get the 2nd goal. Going uber conservative and respecting Iran like they are France or Brazil was simply cowardly from Berhalter. And stupid. You can't blame the players, as it's a natural inclination--they need their coach to actually coach and keep them from turtling. It worked, so he gets a measure of vindication, but he would go down as a hell of a villain if they had conceded.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
While I am not a fan of a WC this time of year going forward, this year the timing is great. My apathy for the NFL and the Cardinals might be at its lowest point ever and the WC fills the gap.

Stout

Reaction score
While I am not a fan of a WC this time of year going forward, this year the timing is great. My apathy for the NFL and the Cardinals might be at its lowest point ever and the WC fills the gap.
This. Also, 2 of the 3 group games fell on days I had off, and the round of 16 game is perfect as well.

Stout

Reaction score
Big parlay bet is still alive and likely to hit. Argentina, Spain, Brazil, and France to top their groups. Still have France to win and an either or France/Brazil to win the whole thing too. Have England going out at the round of 16, and the US coming from behind to win a game.

Silly bets, most of them, but they make it fun.

Stout

Reaction score
Wow, Morocco top the group and Croatia advance in 2nd. Who saw Belgium going out at the Group stages? I had them making the semis! Oops.

Still, I have over half of the spots accurately picked already--Croatia going 2nd helped me there--but the Belgium quarter of the bracket is seriously nerfed, as I also had Uruguay topping a group. Oops again!

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Being a Belgium supporter must be frustrating - that team always seems to tease

Looks like if Japan gets any result from Spain then Germany goes home, which would need interesting - wonder how Spain plays this one

Also read an ESPN article yesterday blasting Deschamps for experimenting again in game 3, having the team be flat and putting out a poor performance - basically ripping him because they did the same thing in game 3 in 2018 and it was also a bad result and that France clearly didn't learn from that experience ..... Which fine, I guess when you are looking at game 3s ..... But I think France would be more than happy to have this tournament go just like 2018......

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Wow, Morocco top the group and Croatia advance in 2nd. Who saw Belgium going out at the Group stages? I had them making the semis! Oops.

Still, I have over half of the spots accurately picked already--Croatia going 2nd helped me there--but the Belgium quarter of the bracket is seriously nerfed, as I also had Uruguay topping a group. Oops again!
Yeah, I don't do bracket contests ever, but my wife & son did one for my son's soccer team group and my wife pretty much picked all chalk to round of 16. Was hard to argue against any single team, but I told her that something totally crazy happens every WC. Morocco winning the group and Belgium bounced is exhibit A.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Hopefully this generation of US players is just starting to build and doesn't land with the same thud

My main complaint is the start time - not because it's early, I'm dumb enough to set an alarm and watch serie b.......

My son has a tournament have this weekend - girls are like an hour away and he had to check in at 9

What are the odds I can avoid the score at a soccer tournament?!?!?

Stout

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't do bracket contests ever, but my wife & son did one for my son's soccer team group and my wife pretty much picked all chalk to round of 16. Was hard to argue against any single team, but I told her that something totally crazy happens every WC. Morocco winning the group and Belgium bounced is exhibit A.
Alas, I'm not in any contests for the bracket.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this generation of US players is just starting to build and doesn't land with the same thud

My main complaint is the start time - not because it's early, I'm dumb enough to set an alarm and watch serie b.......

My son has a tournament have this weekend - girls are like an hour away and he had to check in at 9

What are the odds I can avoid the score at a soccer tournament?!?!?
Depends on how much you use your phone. I don't ever look up scores and post/look up sports scores via social media.

How many people (parents) will be at the tourney watching the game on their phones too?

I can avoid being spoiled for the most part, but I am in the minority.