2022 World Cup Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's how they can score

Pulisic in bad shape though, see how he can finish

Will be interesting - Iran looked good in the first couple minutes when they were trying to possess in their 3rd.

They'll have to open up a little.

I think the US will need a second goal

Yeah the replay on that was painful to watch, going full speed took the goalies knee presumably in the nuts and or midsection.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that was a problem. But that's part of finishing--picking out the right pass and getting into the right positions. Not getting shots on targets is a big part of finishing, too. How many have we blazed over the top? We could be up by a couple now, if we finished well.

Then again, ifs are tough. If Iran made the most of their few pressures against us, we could easily be losing. I'm more than happy to be winning in this situation, thanks :)
I can see that. To me, the final pass isn't finishing, but it is nitpicking for sure.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Needed win by U.S. over Iran 1-0.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Whew, wow! Gave me about 10 coronaries, but it was worth it. Absolutely, positively HATED Berhalter's meek "come beat us" passive approach to the 2nd half--way too much respect offered to freaking Iran--but the players stepped up behind him and freaking got the job done.

We don't have any strikers. How our guy didn't take it to the corner at the end of the game was criminally stupid. But now, who cares? We're playing with house money. Anything from here on out is gravy to me. Plus the Dutch have looked awful even as they won their group. It's a favorable matchup. I believe...

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew, wow! Gave me about 10 coronaries, but it was worth it. Absolutely, positively HATED Berhalter's meek "come beat us" passive approach to the 2nd half--way too much respect offered to freaking Iran--but the players stepped up behind him and freaking got the job done.

We don't have any strikers. How our guy didn't take it to the corner at the end of the game was criminally stupid. But now, who cares? We're playing with house money. Anything from here on out is gravy to me. Plus the Dutch have looked awful even as they won their group. It's a favorable matchup. I believe...
Our striker play through Sargent being injured was the best so far in the 3 games. It isn't going to be enough to beat Netherlands though. We need more from that position.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Our striker play through Sargent being injured was the best so far in the 3 games. It isn't going to be enough to beat Netherlands though. We need more from that position.
I'd give us a punchers chance! Will be good for our young guys to get some experience in this environment, and then Marsch can take over.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd give us a punchers chance! Will be good for our young guys to get some experience in this environment, and then Marsch can take over.
That is a goal of mine.

I think we can beat the Netherlands. I'll silently root against Van Dijk

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We won! That is all that matters. youngest starting lineup at this tournament just advanced to the knockout stages.

Hope Pulisic can recover in time.

Berhalter subbing in Zimmerman was genius, he won header after header and kept the ball out of the net on that last Iranian chance. Sure would have liked to see Reyna at some point.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That is a goal of mine.

I think we can beat the Netherlands. I'll silently root against Van Dijk
The Dutch aren't playing well, that's for sure. We have a shot. I'll very vocally root against Van Dijk, though I silently rooted against Trippier on Friday lol

I think this game is crying out for a false 9. Will Berhalter be smart in his approach? We'll see.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am PISSED the game is at 6AM. What the actual eff.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We won! That is all that matters. youngest starting lineup at this tournament just advanced to the knockout stages.

Hope Pulisic can recover in time.

Berhalter subbing in Zimmerman was genius, he won header after header and kept the ball out of the net on that last Iranian chance. Sure would have liked to see Reyna at some point.
Agree 100%. Reyna must still be injured and isn't fit. Nothing else makes sense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Love having a front line that doesn’t like to shoot.

But hey, that’s been the story of US Soccer for years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Dutch aren't playing well, that's for sure. We have a shot. I'll very vocally root against Van Dijk, though I silently rooted against Trippier on Friday lol

I think this game is crying out for a false 9. Will Berhalter be smart in his approach? We'll see.
If an injury to one of your 9's isn't going to do it, nothing will.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Zimmerman was a good sub for sure. Wright and Moore were absolutely shambolic, and made things much more difficult.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Reyna must still be injured and isn't fit. Nothing else makes sense.
Reyna and Berhalter both have said he is match fit.

Wynalda made an accusation that Berhalter doesn’t like Reyna for some reason. Wynalda has some wild hot takes and walked back a little but there might be something to it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So there is a 2 hour pregame? Coverage said that it starts at 9AM EST 6AM PST.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reyna and Berhalter both have said he is match fit.

Wynalda made an accusation that Berhalter doesn’t like Reyna for some reason.
Wynalda has some wild hot takes and walked back a little but there might be something to it.
I have heard that as well from those that listen to Sirius XM.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that sucks for your coast. It times out perfectly for me.

Actually, you're 3 hours behind East Coast time, right? The game will be at 7 for you, then.
I'll be in Phoenix for the game, which is the same as Denver at the moment. It is still way too damn early considering we have been in the late spot all tournament long.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Coverage starts" ain't kickoff.
It was been that way in the 2nd game. Coverage starts equaled gametime against Wales and I had to start 45 min late.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave