2021-22 Around the NBA Thread

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is a decent signing for the Clippers especially for a training camp deal. I forgot Isaiah Hartenstein was still out there.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Meanwhile, while other teams are making moves to fill out their rosters as needed, it looks like the Suns curiously plan to go into camp with only 14 healthy NBA players (really 13, since Jalen Smith clearly is not an NBA player, at least not yet).

Edit: Forgot Chandler Hutchison.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Meanwhile, while other teams are making moves to fill out their rosters as needed, it looks like the Suns curiously plan to go into camp with only 14 healthy NBA players (really 13, since Jalen Smith clearly is not an NBA player, at least not yet).

Edit: Forgot Chandler Hutchison.
Wow you finally admit Cam Johnson is and NBA player

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow you finally admit Cam Johnson is and NBA player

Yes. I was absolutely wrong there. He is a good back-up wing, who provides outside shooting off the bench as a 7th or 8th guy. He has the potential to develop into a great weapon as a 6th man, a la Eddie Johnson in his later years...IF the Suns do not keep trying to cram him into a role he is not physically suited to play.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes. I was absolutely wrong there. He is a good back-up wing, who provides outside shooting off the bench as a 7th or 8th guy. He has the potential to develop into a great weapon as a 6th man, a la Eddie Johnson in his later years...IF the Suns do not keep trying to cram him into a role he is not physically suited to play.
And he has improved every time we get a new look at him. Cant wait to see what he brings this year. But yeah not at the PF spot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully something we can all agree upon, the Suns window is NOW with Chris Paul.

Why acquire Chris Paul unless a team is swinging for the fences? If there was any doubt, it's now obvious.

I mentioned this before but I don't think Robert Sarver fully realized how far the 2020-21 team could go after listening to postseason comments.

Monty saw what the Suns were capable of when he said the Suns were a top four team in the West. It was obvious though at the trade deadline and when buyouts rolled around but the Suns were limited in what they could do.

The good news is I think James Jones is more than aware of the situation this coming season... at least that is my hope.

They have an open roster spot and a partial MLE for a reason. Also I do think the Suns will make a trade if necessary this time around.
The team is 100% in win now mode. It's all about a title right now. If this organization didn't learn anything from the Barkley era then Nash era about getting close, thinking you will be back and returning to ineptitude? I got nothing. My hopes of them really finding a high impact player is about Zero right now. I am thinking if the team makes another meaningful acquisition it won't happen until the trade deadline.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The team is 100% in win now mode. It's all about a title right now. If this organization didn't learn anything from the Barkley era then Nash era about getting close, thinking you will be back and returning to ineptitude? I got nothing. My hopes of them really finding a high impact player is about Zero right now. I am thinking if the team makes another meaningful acquisition it won't happen until the trade deadline.

Yeah everyone keeps saying that but I don't quite agree. Sure, we aren't too far away and with a little more than average good luck we could win it all but our window doesn't have to close when Paul retires or declines significantly.

We have a couple of years to force that window wide open for almost another decade by finding our next point guard and solidifying our front court. If we sell out everything to win this year or next while CP is hopefully still a force, it could close that future (Booker/Ayton) window.

So, my point isn't that we shouldn't go for it, it's that we have to look at long term too which is not usually the case for teams that are truly "going for it". We could make a couple of trades where we give up all our future firsts (with alternating year pick options) but is there really anything we could do that would make us the absolute favorites? I don't see it. And we need to consider that when looking at deals unless they see a trade that actually separates us from the group of 8 or so title contenders.

To sum up, I think we do what we can to win now but we have to be careful with our future picks and young players. For example, don't start trading away multiple future firsts, don't trade Ayton for a 33 year old center that might have a year or two at a slightly higher level than DA and don't toss Mikal into a trade to upgrade the power forward spot unless you're really bringing back a true difference maker at that position.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah everyone keeps saying that but I don't quite agree. Sure, we aren't too far away and with a little more than average good luck we could win it all but our window doesn't have to close when Paul retires or declines significantly.

We have a couple of years to force that window wide open for almost another decade by finding our next point guard and solidifying our front court. If we sell out everything to win this year or next while CP is hopefully still a force, it could close that future (Booker/Ayton) window.

So, my point isn't that we shouldn't go for it, it's that we have to look at long term too which is not usually the case for teams that are truly "going for it". We could make a couple of trades where we give up all our future firsts (with alternating year pick options) but is there really anything we could do that would make us the absolute favorites? I don't see it. And we need to consider that when looking at deals unless they see a trade that actually separates us from the group of 8 or so title contenders.

To sum up, I think we do what we can to win now but we have to be careful with our future picks and young players. For example, don't start trading away multiple future firsts, don't trade Ayton for a 33 year old center that might have a year or two at a slightly higher level than DA and don't toss Mikal into a trade to upgrade the power forward spot unless you're really bringing back a true difference maker at that position.
I get what you are saying and the team has intentions of reloading and drafting good talent. However, James Jones has made it clear, the team should contend for a title now. So, they are in win now mode. James even on the radio said they won't hesitate to pull the trigger on trades and make moves to keep the team in contention. What he wasn't saying? Well we are going to continue to build through the draft yada yada yada. He sounded more like when CP3 is done here....we will make other moves to keep it going. Plus the x-factor? They want to keep Book happy. Booker will force a trade if this team falls back to their losing ways. I don't think the window is CP3. The Window is Booker.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get what you are saying and the team has intentions of reloading and drafting good talent. However, James Jones has made it clear, the team should contend for a title now. So, they are in win now mode. James even on the radio said they won't hesitate to pull the trigger on trades and make moves to keep the team in contention. What he wasn't saying? Well we are going to continue to build through the draft yada yada yada. He sounded more like when CP3 is done here....we will make other moves to keep it going. Plus the x-factor? They want to keep Book happy. Booker will force a trade if this team falls back to their losing ways. I don't think the window is CP3. The Window is Booker.

Good points. I don't think we'll make a major deal but OTOH we all know that James likes smart veterans so maybe he has another plan for the PG of our future.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of bounds plays will no longer be automatically triggered by officials.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More talk about a future in-season tournament.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
More talk about a future in-season tournament.

Midseason tournament perhaps? Doesn't make much sense otherwise since we already have the play in. If we didn't have the play in that would make sense right before the playoffs I would think.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We have a couple of years to force that window wide open for almost another decade by finding our next point guard and solidifying our front court.

And we all know how easy it is to find that next point guard and solidify our front court, since it took roughly a decade for us to accomplish the former and we still haven't done the latter, despite all efforts to do so.

And anyway, how do you propose we do that if we have to give Ayton and Bridges max contracts in the process?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

And the Booker window will slam shut when CP3 is done, unless they win a championship with CP3 or find a star point guard to replace CP3 when CP3 is done.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Midseason tournament perhaps? Doesn't make much sense otherwise since we already have the play in. If we didn't have the play in that would make sense right before the playoffs I would think.

Previously the NBA league office has talked about a Christmas tournament somewhere down the road.
I doubt players want to add games to the season though. It would be nice if somehow it could be combined with a play-in berth but I can't see how that works at the moment.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about the Magic or Thunder?

I doubt it's the Thunder. I can't see them seriously engaging in talks and not getting it done because they have enough picks to make any deal work, if they're so inclined.

Orlando makes some sense. They're not who i think of when discussing small market teams though. I'd say more medium sized and they're also a fairly desirable location compared to Minnesota, OKC, Cleveland, etc.

I'm thinking Charlotte. I can see MJ thinking he can set Ben straight. I'm not sure what they'd offer but I think they have the pieces to make an interesting offer without stripping their cupboards as well.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt it's the Thunder. I can't see them seriously engaging in talks and not getting it done because they have enough picks to make any deal work, if they're so inclined.

Orlando makes some sense. They're not who i think of when discussing small market teams though. I'd say more medium sized and they're also a fairly desirable location compared to Minnesota, OKC, Cleveland, etc.

I'm thinking Charlotte. I can see MJ thinking he can set Ben straight. I'm not sure what they'd offer but I think they have the pieces to make an interesting offer without stripping their cupboards as well.

Maybe although I don't know how well Ben Simmons would fit with LaMelo Ball. However, it's not often when a team can trade for a perceived star. As you say, Michael Jordon might try to make it work.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see the Sixers trading him without getting a few players that can contribute right away, they think they're a title contender at the moment.

What makes the most sense to me is a 3 way trade with the Kings and Blazers involved. Blazers send Lillard to Philly, Simmons to the Kings and a bunch of young guys and picks to the Blazers, maybe with the Blazers throwing in some of their older rotation guys.

Portland either needs to go all in or rebuild and I don't see how they can improve much so it is time for them to blow it up. The Sixers get more than fair value for Simmons and the Kings... well... the Kings are idiots.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the Sixers trading him without getting a few players that can contribute right away, they think they're a title contender at the moment.

What makes the most sense to me is a 3 way trade with the Kings and Blazers involved. Blazers send Lillard to Philly, Simmons to the Kings and a bunch of young guys and picks to the Blazers, maybe with the Blazers throwing in some of their older rotation guys.

Portland either needs to go all in or rebuild and I don't see how they can improve much so it is time for them to blow it up. The Sixers get more than fair value for Simmons and the Kings... well... the Kings are idiots.
If the Sixers won't come down on their unrealistic expectations in a trade this makes the most sense. That way one team doesn't take all the brunt of any trade scenario. All the stories have been the Sixers acting like they are trading Jordan who is in his prime winning titles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson