2020 Free Agents - How do we fill this roster? Who do you want?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sorry, @Finito and @DVontel, I jumped over Chandler Jones. But is he the face of the franchise? Of course he's amazing, but he's been so forgotten that the didn't make the NFL top 100 last year. People who aren't major football fans don't really know him.

So what you are saying is that a song is only good unless you hear it on the radio :)

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that a song is only good unless you hear it on the radio :)
No, of course he's good, but from an organizational standpoint, the team needs to sell jerseys and such.

I was definitely wrong in saying there weren't other players I rooted for though. Love that guy. I guess it might feel a little different since he wasn't homegrown, but I love Bertrand Berry, so no reason to hold it against him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We're mostly on the same page, but what do you do at OLB, and who is replacing Justin Murray, or the "solid ILB?"

These are players we must replace, and there's a mentality of "go get a solid player at this position," but the players don't exist. How can we upgrade at FS when we need starters?

Jack Conklin.

Justin Simmons.

Blake Martinez.

3-4 OLB? There are like 5 that are upgrades.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's the emerging face of the franchise.

like it or not he is.

since draft night these talking head shows bring up Kyler/KK when talking about the Cardinals. This is who the national media thinks of when they think Cardinals.

ever watch frozen?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Jack Conklin.

Justin Simmons.

Blake Martinez.

3-4 OLB? There are like 5 that are upgrades.
Conklin will probably be franchised. Again though, still too many empty roster spots to pay Simmons, who isn't going to be cheap... and comes with the added cost of making two of Keim's recent picks completely irrelevant again.

Dunno what team you've been following if after Fitz, and after dismissing Peterson & Johnson, you don't think Chandler Jones & Kyler Murray are stars. :shrug:

...dbs
Chandler Jones, sure. But in two years he'll be an old FA we probably don't re-sign. Kyler is nowhere near a star yet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Conklin will probably be franchised. Again though, still too many empty roster spots to pay Simmons, who isn't going to be cheap... and comes with the added cost of making two of Keim's recent picks completely irrelevant again.

Chandler Jones, sure. But in two years he'll be an old FA we probably don't re-sign. Kyler is nowhere near a star yet.

LOL irrelevant? Ridiculous.

He was what? A fifth round pick?

Jalen Thompson IMO has a better future.

With the Cardinals cap space they should be able to add at least two bigger contract players.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

If you can't see how important the S position is in the NFL right now, you are missing the boat. Justin Simmons should arguably be our #1 target in FA.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

With the Cardinals cap space they should be able to add at least two bigger contract players.
Jalen Thompson... also a 5th round pick. Yes. Irrelevant. Both of them will not play with a high priced player in front of them, which makes them irrelevant, like Mason Cole, Zach Allen, etc. Basically every player we have drafted in years outside of Kyler Murray, Christian Kirk, and Byron Murphy. If you don't play on the field, you are irrelevant. If you need to be replaced by a free agent a year after being drafted, you are irrelevant.

If you can't see how important the S position is in the NFL right now, you are missing the boat. Justin Simmons should arguably be our #1 target in FA.
It's important, but it highlights that all of Keim's picks are wastes of space. We have no one signed at 8 positions. You've gotta get four tires for the car before upgrading the speakers.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I mean, there's basically no one else I really root for on this team past him, so it says something. He's probably the best player we've ever had.
Root for them all damnit, whether they suck or not lol? We're Cardinals fans after all & you know as well as I do that SK will make all the right moves lol. In Steve Keim we trust LMAO.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jalen Thompson... also a 5th round pick. Yes. Irrelevant. Both of them will not play with a high priced player in front of them, which makes them irrelevant, like Mason Cole, Zach Allen, etc. Basically every player we have drafted in years outside of Kyler Murray, Christian Kirk, and Byron Murphy. If you don't play on the field, you are irrelevant. If you need to be replaced by a free agent a year after being drafted, you are irrelevant.

It's important, but it highlights that all of Keim's picks are wastes of space. We have no one signed at 8 positions. You've gotta get four tires for the car before upgrading the speakers.
You don't have to get 4 new tires before the speakers. I've seen so many people through the yrs with a more expensive car stereo system than what the car (including decent tires) was worth lol.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

2 bigger contract players like you said & 4-5 players on each side of the ball. Between the draft & FA. I think Jalen Thompson has a very bright future also.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

5th round picks dont always make rosters. They arent really considered.

And at least one would play in sub packages. Irrelevant point, you dont considered 5th rounders when make roster decisions.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
5th round picks dont always make rosters. They arent really considered.

And at least one would play in sub packages. Irrelevant point, you dont considered 5th rounders when make roster decisions.
You're still ignoring the glaring point. 8 positions. No players that are starters. I agree that you don't let 5th round picks influence things that can make your team better, but it's just going to be another example of Keim drafting guys and then immediately giving up on them before they can develop.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Most teams run three safeties on the field. Having Simmons, Baker, and two Thompsons gives us depth, improved special teams, and matchup options. Our roster is in a good place if one of the Thompson's is so good that we have to make a decision on keeping Baker long term. We had a really good defense when Tony Jefferson was a role player...that is where we need to get back to.

Personally, I think we need to start building strengths on this team rather than trying to get by on multiple units.

Give me...
Patrick Peterson
Chris Harris/Byron Jones
Robert Alford
Byron Murphy
Chris Jones/Kevin Peterson
Justin Simmons
Budda Baker
Jalen Thompson
Dionte Thompson
Chris Banjo/Charles Washington

and suddenly our secondary is a strength of the team. You have depth to make trades if needed. You can withstand injuries. You can matchup players vs specific teams. Also, you have a mostly veteran group so we should have less busted coverages and give up less big plays.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You're still ignoring the glaring point. 8 positions. No players that are starters. I agree that you don't let 5th round picks influence things that can make your team better, but it's just going to be another example of Keim drafting guys and then immediately giving up on them before they can develop.
What positions are you concerned about?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What positions are you concerned about?
The ones on the front page of this thread, haha.

LT
RT
C
DE (x2)
ILB
OLB
WR

We don't have starting players under contract at these positions. You could argue that we're just going to start Isabella or Butler at one of the WR spots I guess, and Zach Allen at DE, but none of those players have shown anything at all.

You simply have to find players to man these 8 spots before you start even thinking about upgrades or "nice-to-have" players.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
The ones on the front page of this thread, haha.

LT
RT
C
DE (x2)
ILB
OLB
WR

We don't have starting players under contract at these positions. You could argue that we're just going to start Isabella or Butler at one of the WR spots I guess, and Zach Allen at DE, but none of those players have shown anything at all.

You simply have to find players to man these 8 spots before you start even thinking about upgrades or "nice-to-have" players.

Agreed we will be spending next to zero on the DB wether that’s in FA or a top pick. This team has to focus on front 7 and OL. Without those fixed we will see no improvement from this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard