2020 Free Agents - How do we fill this roster? Who do you want?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Can I ask why we're paying Scherff to be the top guard in the NFL when we already have two guys at guard that aren't moving anywhere? I'm not being confrontational when I ask, just wondering what the gameplan is for Pugh, besides eating 6 million in dead cap again.

Also, FYI, for some reason, that link leads me to NFL GamePass.

I initially wanted a Guard, but the Cardinals shouldn't go bananas spending money on a position that they have two reasonable starters at already. Sweezy and Pugh have been most respectable.

Replace Justin Murray and resign Hump and draft good depth. Maybe sign a veteran swing tackle.

I'd prioritize signing a good 3-4 DE (Vernon Butler), a solid ILB, a true free safety.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd resign hump and keep peterson. Test the market on david Johnson. If no takers hes the primary back.

I would target a DE, arik armstead or leonard Williams or michael brockers. We really need a vet mlb, maybe Corey Littleton. Vic Beasley could be an option at olb.

Need a RT, may resign the guy we traded for from the steelers to a base contract.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Littleton would be a good ILB signing

Draft or sign a DE. We still have Zach Allen. Leonard Williams will cost an arm & a leg.

Marcus Gilbert is the guy you were talking about. Maybe resign him to a minimum contract as a backup or potential half season starter? I just don't trust his health though, he's on the injured list more than he plays.

Resign Humphries at LT.

Need an upgrade at C

Need a DT badly. I hope we draft Derrick Brown from Auburn. Dude is a beast.

Could use a veteran S. If Jalen Thompson keeps improving we may be able to stand pat there? Still have Dionte Thompson & BB there as well.

Resign Drake. Test the trade waters on DJ. We still have Edmonds on his rookie contract.

PP? I have no idea what's gonna happen there? His performance Sunday I'm still not sure about. OBJ was hurt, hernia was bothering him so how good was the performance of PP really? Does it take playing against an LSU alum to fire him up? Is he gonna need motivation in every game to play well? Has he lost a step? He said he felt like he got his legs back Sunday, I have no idea. The next 2 games, if VJ let's him cover the #1 WR against the Rams & "Shehawks" & he plays like he did Sunday..........? We will then know if he's still got it or not? Too many questions with him imo. SK will have a decision to make there. We still have Alford on the other side, played 6 games without PP & 8 games with him, only got 2 good games out of him so far.............thats not good. Maybe they trade him & we sign his replacement in FA?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I initially wanted a Guard, but the Cardinals shouldn't go bananas spending money on a position that they have two reasonable starters at already. Sweezy and Pugh have been most respectable.

Replace Justin Murray and resign Hump and draft good depth. Maybe sign a veteran swing tackle.

I'd prioritize signing a good 3-4 DE (Vernon Butler), a solid ILB, a true free safety.
We're mostly on the same page, but what do you do at OLB, and who is replacing Justin Murray, or the "solid ILB?"

These are players we must replace, and there's a mentality of "go get a solid player at this position," but the players don't exist. How can we upgrade at FS when we need starters?

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
because he’s available and if you can sign him you do it.

Brandon Scherff, Rodney Hudson C and Anthony Caztanzo LT are the best offensive lineman on the market. We need to swing at one of them
A Center & RT I can see signing but we have Pugh still for another 2 yrs I believe & Sweezy for just next season. I wouldn't think SK would sign a Guard to take the place of Pugh for next season? That would be a dumb way to spend money. Even Sweezy has graded out higher than all our OL in most games this season. Imo, SK may draft a Guard or two in the draft but I highly doubt he signs a high priced one in FA. But with SK in charge, all bets are off lol. What do I know right.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nts-in-2020-two-quarterbacks-lead-way-for-now

Sorry Fitz but I need that money. I try and make Brandon Scherff the highest paid guard in the NFL at 15 million. I resign DJ. If DJ can cut down on the false starts then he’s looking like a stud cause he’s proven he doesn’t give up sacks

now you got DJ, Scherff and Sweezy that line looks a lot better

we just can’t keep paying Fitzgerald we need that money.

And what are you doing with Pugh who is under contract?

And... it should be clear that for the Bidwill's, Fitzgerald leaves on his own terms and THEY (it's their $$$) will pay $10/11m until that time comes.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And what are you doing with Pugh who is under contract?

And... it should be clear that for the Bidwill's, Fitzgerald leaves on his own terms and THEY (it's their $$$) will pay $10/11m until that time comes.

lol yeah no. This is a business not a fairytale.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol oh are you offended of getting rid of Fitz. Last I checked you don’t have a vote either.

grow up

Hardly offended!

Noting how the Bidwill's treat their professional relationship with Fitz evidently escapes you.

Get over yourself!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hardly offended!

Noting how the Bidwill's treat their professional relationship with Fitz evidently escapes you.

Get over yourself!

based on what?

listen dude if Jerry Rice can end his career on a different team than San Fran anyone can.

this is a business doesn’t mean we still can’t be cool but at the end of the day you can’t keep paying him 10-12 million a year and his production continuing to decline. Getting old happens

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if you can move David Johnson to free up more cap space

Re-Sign or Franchise DJ Humphries LT

Re-Sign Drake RB

Re-Sign Zane Gonzalez K

Sign Chris Jones DE

Sign Whitney Mercilus OLB

Sign Patrick Onwuasor ILB

Sign Daryl Williams RT

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nts-in-2020-two-quarterbacks-lead-way-for-now

Sorry Fitz but I need that money. I try and make Brandon Scherff the highest paid guard in the NFL at 15 million. I resign DJ. If DJ can cut down on the false starts then he’s looking like a stud cause he’s proven he doesn’t give up sacks

now you got DJ, Scherff and Sweezy that line looks a lot better

we just can’t keep paying Fitzgerald we need that money.

Fitz catches EVERYTHING that is thrown to him still, It would nice to see a speedster get better separation, But guys like that who hit FA, are named Ted Ginn Jr.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
based on what?

listen dude if Jerry Rice can end his career on a different team than San Fran anyone can.

this is a business doesn’t mean we still can’t be cool but at the end of the day you can’t keep paying him 10-12 million a year and his production continuing to decline. Getting old happens

I got your point. Move on.

And I'm nobody's Dude!

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lol yeah no. This is a business not a fairytale.

The fact is, Fitz's presence and loyalty to this team has saved this teams reputation to the tune of far more than $11M. It is a business decision to keep him as long as he wants to stay. I can't imagine the quantifiable $$ he has represented to this organization. This fan base would be far smaller than it is today without him and the organization would not have the respect they have outsize of AZ without him. As hard as they tried to turn PP into the air apparent he just doesn't have it and neither does anyone else on the team and frankly there are only a couple in the entire NFL that have that same value. Name another player from a losing organization that has that reputation for class and character who can legitimize their organization? That means tickets, concessions, jerseys, sponsorship, media viewership and other direct and indirect revenues for the Cardinals.

This is not like keeping Keim or Graves too long out of loyalty. Fitz legitimizes the Cardinals as an organization even when the losing and ineptitude of the front office suggests otherwise. He is arguably the most respected player in the league and the fact that he was willing to spend his entire career in AZ can't be underestimated.

Fitz is also a proud man. He will not stay to the point where he embarrasses himself. He doesn't need the money and has a bright future and tons of ambition post football.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact is, Fitz's presence and loyalty to this team has saved this teams reputation to the tune of far more than $11M. It is a business decision to keep him as long as he wants to stay. I can't imagine the quantifiable $$ he has represented to this organization. This fan base would be far smaller than it is today without him and the organization would not have the respect they have outsize of AZ without him. As hard as they tried to turn PP into the air apparent he just doesn't have it and neither does anyone else on the team and frankly there are only a couple in the entire NFL that have that same value. Name another player from a losing organization that has that reputation for class and character who can legitimize their organization? That means tickets, concessions, jerseys, sponsorship, media viewership and other direct and indirect revenues for the Cardinals.

This is not like keeping Keim or Graves too long out of loyalty. Fitz legitimizes the Cardinals as an organization even when the losing and ineptitude of the front office suggests otherwise. He is arguably the most respected player in the league and the fact that he was willing to spend his entire career in AZ can't be underestimated.

Fitz is also a proud man. He will not stay to the point where he embarrasses himself. He doesn't need the money and has a bright future and tons of ambition post football.

Good stuff!

Heir apparent.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

all that stuff right there is pretty much fan made BS. Guess what’s gonna happen when Fitz is gone? Nothing football still moves on.

I mean I get it and all but Jesus some people on here think this team and fan base are going to disappear without him. He’s just a WR folks

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
all that stuff right there is pretty much fan made BS. Guess what’s gonna happen when Fitz is gone? Nothing football still moves on.

I mean I get it and all but Jesus some people on here think this team and fan base are going to disappear without him. He’s just a WR folks
I mean, there's basically no one else I really root for on this team past him, so it says something. He's probably the best player we've ever had.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Again, if your #1 choice isn't Justin Simmons, you aren't paying attention.

S's for top 6 teams in DVOA for 2019

NE - Patrick Chung (32) / Devin McCourty (32)
SF - Jimmie Ward (28) / Jaquiski Tartt (27)
PIT - Minkah Fitzpatrick (23) / Sean Davis (26)
BUF - Jordan Poyer (28) / Micah Hyde (28)
BAL - Tony Jefferson (27) / Earl Thomas (30)
MIN - Harrison Smith (30) / Anthony Harris (28)

Outside of Minkah Fitzpatrick (who I thought was a CB for some reason) all of these teams have S's who are over 26 years old. (Terrell Edmonds replaced Sean Davis when he got injured similar to Chuck Clark in Baltimore once Jefferson went down) This highlights that a key ingredient to having a top defense, is having experience and talent at the S position. Justin Simmons is the best S on the market, is talented, has experience, and plays a different role that Budda Baker (unlike Vonn Bell imo).

So, if I have a wishlist for FA, it goes

1-Justin Simmons
2-C/RT (I will say Jack Conklin)
3-CB (I will say Byron Jones or Chris Harris)

This is assuming Vance stays as our DC.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I mean, there's basically no one else I really root for on this team past him, so it says something. He's probably the best player we've ever had.

so if he was let go or he chose to go to a contender would you stop rooting for the Cardinals?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
so if he was let go or he chose to go to a contender would you stop rooting for the Cardinals?
Of course not, but I’d be sitting in maybe the worst position I’ve ever been in with this team. Christian Kirk would be my favorite player left, and plenty of people here think he’s a #3.

Who is the next star on this team? Patrick Peterson? The guy we’re looking to trade? David Johnson, the guy we want to cut?

I have no interest in returning to the 2003-2006 years where the general public couldn’t name a single player on my team.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course not, but I’d be sitting in maybe the worst position I’ve ever been in with this team. Christian Kirk would be my favorite player left, and plenty of people here think he’s a #3.

Who is the next star on this team? Patrick Peterson? The guy we’re looking to trade? David Johnson, the guy we want to cut?

I have no interest in returning to the 2003-2006 years where the general public couldn’t name a single player on my team.

Uh you forgetting pretty much the best pass rusher in the history of this franchise Chandler Jones.

he’s an absolute monster and his number are hall of fame worthy

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Is there something you got against Chandler Jones?

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Sorry, @Finito and @DVontel, I jumped over Chandler Jones. But is he the face of the franchise? Of course he's amazing, but he's been so forgotten that the didn't make the NFL top 100 last year. People who aren't major football fans don't really know him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard