2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's that go for it that may flop with Paul, versus improving around the fringes that we have been doing with less upside.

It seems the Suns want to make a big splash with Paul but there is something to be said if they stay patient.

If the Suns could add a starting power forward like Serge Ibaka or Jerami Grant, more depth at the 4/5 and a young point guard to develop they should be a playoff team.

There is something to be said for players maturing and playing together like Booker, Ayton, Oubre, Bridges, Payne, Carter, Johnson and Rubio. Dario Saric could be a piece as well.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I feel the same about Lewis.

Admittedly I'm intrigued by Tyrell Terry perhaps in a trade down.

He has an incredibly quick release on his shot and he can get to the rim. Also he is 6'3" inches in shoes.

But Terry was so darn ineffective in games against any halfway decent opponent. Heck, he was completely shut down by Nico freaking Mannion.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For me, if he's the player I watched a little during the season, he's a poor choice at 10 and I'm not sure I'd want him anywere in the teens either. But if he really is the player I've read about recently and watched in offseason videos, he's value plus at 10 IMO.

That's a HUGE if. Until I actually see differently in games, I am going with what I have actually seen in games to date. To do otherwise would be to make the exact same mistake that was made drafting Dragan Bender.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a HUGE if. Until I actually see differently in games, I am going with what I have actually seen in games to date. To do otherwise would be to make the exact same mistake that was made drafting Dragan Bender.

It is, it absolutely is. And normally, I put little importance on the PR pieces during the offseason. But this wasn't your normal season and it wasn't your normal offseason. And, from the looks of it, he's shown considerable improvement in areas that can't be faked. He's bigger, stronger, quicker and more athletic, or at least he appears to be. Like I said, I'd feel better about if we got a chance to work him out on our own, or even watch another team's workout with him.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It is, it absolutely is. And normally, I put little importance on the PR pieces during the offseason. But this wasn't your normal season and it wasn't your normal offseason. And, from the looks of it, he's shown considerable improvement in areas that can't be faked. He's bigger, stronger, quicker and more athletic, or at least he appears to be. Like I said, I'd feel better about if we got a chance to work him out on our own, or even watch another team's workout with him.

I still go with game tape over workout warriors. Elie Okobo had brilliant workouts...

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I wonder about a trade down using the 10 pick to get two later first round picks? Then maybe take one of Terry/Riller with one pick and Jalen Smith with the other?

I don't know who would be in a position to facilitate that, but it could work out well.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't know enough about bowling (understatement) to give you a list but I know there's a little more to it than just rolling the ball. For example, you have to be able to read the lanes and adjust to differences in the surface (freshly waxed lane rolls much differently than dry or dirty lanes etc.). As for drawing a foul, I guess you could trip the person so that they cross the line? Passes are straight out though.
My point was that bowling is an individual sport, as is golf.

You're not passing the ball, or receiving it. No one is defending you
or blocking you, or vice versa.

Whereas, Deandre's responsibilities on the court involve far more
than putting the ball in the basket, even if that is #1.

And with his history of avoiding contact, he is denying himself the
important aspect of earning free throws.

That is why facing a backup big man in practice is no guarantee
for success when facing NBA starters in games.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

As slow and long as that motion is, every single one of those gets blocked in an NBA game. At least Cam has some size to make up for it. Bane does not.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
As slow and long as that motion is, every single one of those gets blocked in an NBA game. At least Cam has some size to make up for it. Bane does not.
Not a fan of Bane at 10, but if you actually watch game film on Bane his release is plenty quick. Pretty much every shooter slows his release when he is shooting in an empty gym.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not a fan of Bane at 10, but if you actually watch game film on Bane his release is plenty quick. Pretty much every shooter slows his release when he is shooting in an empty gym.

Which is why the practice tape in the gym is useless. His release in games is quicker, though still not super quick. And he cannot create his own shot. I really do believe that Trajan Langdon is his ceiling.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona State coach Bobby Hurley talks about some of the players his team has faced like Nico Mannion and Tyrell Terry. See below his take on Terry.

From Duane Rankan of the Arizona Republic:

"I think he's got to work a little bit on getting stronger. That's something he'll have to address as he makes the transition, but a very smooth player. A guy I think has a pretty good feel for the game. Good off the bounce. He's got a really, really nice shot."

Hurley likes his game, but thought Terry might stay in college at least another year.

"Didn't really view him as a one-and-done type of guy, but I think he's got the potential to be a really good pro."

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...timistic-arizona-nico-mannion-nba/6275282002/

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Which is why the practice tape in the gym is useless. His release in games is quicker, though still not super quick. And he cannot create his own shot. I really do believe that Trajan Langdon is his ceiling.

If a guy can hit 40 something shots in a row it means he’s been putting the time in. We’ve seen similar shooting vids from Booker who is notoriously serious about his craft. I’m starting to expect Bane being the guy at #10. That’s too early for him (for me) but the Suns draft their boards on instant contribution and not by ceiling. Bane/Carter as the backup backcourt would be tough for a lot of backcourts to handle. Add Cam to that list and you have the potential for some lights out shooting off the bench.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If a guy can hit 40 something shots in a row it means he’s been putting the time in. We’ve seen similar shooting vids from Booker who is notoriously serious about his craft. I’m starting to expect Bane being the guy at #10. That’s too early for him (for me) but the Suns draft their boards on instant contribution and not by ceiling. Bane/Carter as the backup backcourt would be tough for a lot of backcourts to handle. Add Cam to that list and you have the potential for some lights out shooting off the bench.

Except that nobody can create shots, and outside of Carter (who we don't know for sure is coming back), the defense would be atrocious.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kellan Olson of Arizona Sports continues to be enthused by Grant Riller.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kellan Olson of Arizona Sports continues to be enthused by Grant Riller.

He's another one I don't want under any circumstances, along with Mannion, Bane, Maxey and Hampton.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Man, this draft seems like a no brained for us at 10. There is a clear tier 1 at the top consisting of 3 players:
Wiseman
Ball
Edwards
And then there is a clear tier 2 consisting of 6 players:
Okongwu
Haliburton
Okoro
Hayes
Avdija
Toppin
That is a total of 9 players. If any of those players drop you draft them. If none of them drop you draft Vassell. Seems easy enough, although I have an unfortunate feeling that it is not so cut and dry for James Jones.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course not, but if the target is Nnaji, Azubuike or Oturu, I am pretty sure at least one of the three would be available.

I think two of the three will be there. Zeke seems to have the most appeal for me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this draft seems like a no brained for us at 10. There is a clear tier 1 at the top consisting of 3 players:
Wiseman
Ball
Edwards
And then there is a clear tier 2 consisting of 6 players:
Okongwu
Haliburton
Okoro
Hayes
Avdija
Toppin
That is a total of 9 players. If any of those players drop you draft them. If none of them drop you draft Vassell. Seems easy enough, although I have an unfortunate feeling that it is not so cut and dry for James Jones.

If it plays out this way and the Suns have a trade down option with Boston at #14 and #26, I think I do it.