2020 Draft

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's bad, and then there's the game Cam had in the bubble against the 76ers...

I'd say this is worse, right?

You must be registered for see images attach

That's just Brandon Clarke starting vs Minnesota.

http://bkref.com/pi/shareit/vpZ78

Don't say his defense did it either because Mike Scott didn't even have his highest scoring output of the season. He had 17 & 4 with a +3. I guess since that wasn't Scott's best game of the year though that means he'll be Hall of Fame bound. He better work on his speech.

Clark allowed Covington 13 & 3 with a +5. So a worse plus/minus and more rebounds and points per minute.

Your hatred for Cam is ridiculous and unfounded.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I agree Hoop Head. With that said why is Jalen Smith not a lottery pick
I have a higher grade for Jalen than most prospects in this draft (Currently I have him at #11 for the Suns).

That said, he has troubling lateral movement concerns. He plays very stiff which could expose him with stretch 4's who can put the ball down and drive. Which leads to his other knock, can he put the ball down and drive? I didn't see it enough to see him as a double threat from the perimeter. One minor knock could be his vertical jump. A couple of times I saw questionable height on his dunks and blocks. But again, minor knock. These questions could make teams shy away from him till later in the first.

Although, I wouldn't. I see him as at least a good back up C who hustles, rebounds, and knocks down 3's. And if Ayton stretches the 5 position to the perimeter like he did in the bubble (or Baynes did during the season), than we'll want a backup who can clone that role to maintain offensive chemistry. Jalen would do nicely in that back up role. Plus, I just don't see any other prospects that are THAT much better than him.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

STARTERS

PG Rubio

SG Booker

SF Oubre

PF Cam

C Ayton

Bench

PG Carter

SG Payne

SF Bridges

PF Dario

C Jalen Smith

Pretty solid rotation.

Smith would give the Suns the 2nd shot-blocker they need

Suns have a handful of players that are above avg on D.

They can also guard multiple positions

Bridges
Carter
Oubre
Ayton
Rubio
Payne
Smith as 2nd shot-blocker.

If they can add a vet SG that can shoot 36% from 3 they should be a 5th or 6th in the West.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's bad, and then there's the game Cam had in the bubble against the 76ers...

When you say crap like this it invalidates any point you ever try to make. It is just absurdly stupid. And I mean that, S-T-U-P-I-D. That is flat out dumb. Cam had a bad game... every single night, in almost every game, a starter has a similarly bad night.

You must not have seen the game against the 76ers in the bubble...

And I'd like to point out... you didn't watch that game either.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

STARTERS

PG Rubio

SG Booker

SF Oubre

PF Cam

C Ayton

Bench

PG Carter

SG Payne

SF Bridges

PF Dario

C Jalen Smith

Pretty solid rotation.

Smith would give the Suns the 2nd shot-blocker they need

Suns have a handful of players that are above avg on D.

They can also guard multiple positions

Bridges
Carter
Oubre
Ayton
Rubio
Payne
Smith as 2nd shot-blocker.

If they can add a vet SG that can shoot 36% from 3 they should be a 5th or 6th in the West.
Good video. Seems accurate. Terrible footwork defensively. Maybe that can be coached out of him. Very little lower body strength. No junk in that trunk. Won’t likely be an effective post defender as a result. Not a super high riser, but has excellent timing on blocking shots. Wonder if that will hold true with pros. His three point stroke looks good. Relatively quick release for a big too. Can also hit from movement which is a plus. Struggling to figure out who a good comp would be.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good video. Seems accurate. Terrible footwork defensively. Maybe that can be coached out of him. Very little lower body strength. No junk in that trunk. Won’t likely be an effective post defender as a result. Not a super high riser, but has excellent timing on blocking shots. Wonder if that will hold true with pros. His three point stroke looks good. Relatively quick release for a big too. Can also hit from movement which is a plus. Struggling to figure out who a good comp would be.

I see him as a weaker, slower, less skilled version of Ibaka. Not really a fan of his game but if you're going to take a wild swing for the fences...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrong draft but here's a name for the future incoming East Carolina freshman guard Noah Farrakhan. a scouting guy I've known for years told me if you asked me where is the next Lillard or Ja Morant, 3 star guard that becomes a lottery pick and NBA star, Noah has a chance. He played at IMG academy until his senior year of HS then in New Jersey. The guy I know says he can't believe the kid isn't higher rated, skinny as hell, not a great shooter but freaky athletically. the friend actually tried to get UCLA to get involved with him but he apparently didn't have the grades.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of playoff basketball and the formula seems to be guards, wings and a big.

The Celtics play Daniel Theis and Robert Williams at center and do pretty well.

Maybe the Suns should consider adding defensive depth at the 4/5 with role type players behind Ayton. I'm not sure a center like Baynes is necessary. Players like Richaun Holmes should suffice.

Then the Suns could look to add a 3 & D wing to mix with the rotation.

I still like the idea of adding a combo guard to rotate with Rubio and Booker.

Surrounding a big man with defense and shooting seems like the way to go unless a power forward drops in your lap.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was not expecting to say this, but I think Jalen Smith can play next to Ayton (as well as backing him up, obviously, as his primary role) as well as 4s with Saric size. I think he projects as a clear upgrade to Baynes.

His weaknesses seem to be mostly related to easily correctable issues like strength and close-out technique. He can guard in space, rim run, and shoot, and most importantly rim protect.

I can easily see him running pick and roll with Cam Payne/Rubio, and either picking or popping. I expect him to be a better shooter in fairly short order than Baynes.

His ORTG/DRTG splits at Maryland were incredible given how many minutes he played: 124/89. This suggests to me that he plugs leaks rather than springing them. It makes sense given his defensive versatility in space and hyper awareness around the basket, coupled with timing and above average athleticism.

I see a very clear runway for him to score in the NBA with good PnR guards, and he can play defense.

I think it’s ok to play another “big” next to Ayton as long as the other big can reliably spread the floor AND guard in space.

I’m not sure why Smith isn’t a top-5 guy on Suns’ boards.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I see him as a weaker, slower, less skilled version of Ibaka. Not really a fan of his game but if you're going to take a wild swing for the fences...

Ibaka is clearly a better athlete, but Smith is far more skilled as a shooter at 20 than Serge was.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

He obviously has elite feet for a tall, long dude? Did you watch the video? Lol

He does a great job sticking on POINT GUARDS. His RTG splits back up his obvious defensive versatility which screams loudly (check your hearing, too, maybe?) off the video.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I also cannot see why Kira Lewis isn’t rated more highly. He should be way up on the Suns board. Might be my favorite PG in the draft. Halliburton and Hayes are too slow to consistently break down NBA defenses. LaMelo can’t shoot. Kira shoots better than Vassell on spot-ups and has a massive offensive playmaking arsenal. Elite transition player. He’s also a good defender and will only get better as he gains strength. 6’ 6” wingspan is fine.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. Edwards
2. Okongwu
3. Lewis
4. Vassell
5. J. Smith
6. Maxey

Would love if Suns got any of these guys at 10.

I’m worried they like the Ty Jerome style guard LOL and will draft Halliburton if he falls.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I also cannot see why Kira Lewis isn’t rated more highly. He should be way up on the Suns board. Might be my favorite PG in the draft. Halliburton and Hayes are too slow to consistently break down NBA defenses. LaMelo can’t shoot. Kira shoots better than Vassell on spot-ups and has a massive offensive playmaking arsenal. Elite transition player. He’s also a good defender and will only get better as he gains strength. 6’ 6” wingspan is fine.

Only real knock is frail frame, which might not be able to survive the rigors of today's NBA...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. Edwards
2. Okongwu
3. Lewis
4. Vassell
5. J. Smith
6. Maxey

I’m worried they like the Ty Jerome style guard LOL and will draft Halliburton if he falls.

Athletically, Ty Jerome makes Halliburton look like Russell Westbrook.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Edwards
2. Okongwu
3. Lewis
4. Vassell
5. J. Smith
6. Maxey

Halliburton looks like a solid contributor. His "floor" is about as high as possible. He is a great shooter, a great passer and a solid defender. I don't know if he has star potential, but I don't see how he doesn't have a long and productive NBA career.

When it comes to "fits" for the Suns in this draft, I'd have him in the top 3-5.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Only real knock is frail frame, which might not be able to survive the rigors of today's NBA...

Naw, that’s dumb. He can put it on weight at 6’ 3” and he’s basically Ja size already. He seemed to do fine.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Halliburton looks like a solid contributor. His "floor" is about as high as possible. He is a great shooter, a great passer and a solid defender. I don't know if he has star potential, but I don't see how he doesn't have a long and productive NBA career.

When it comes to "fits" for the Suns in this draft, I'd have him in the top 3-5.

I do not see Halliburton as a projectably great shooter. He’s terrible off the dribble and he will have a much harder time hitting spot-ups given his long load time and slow release. You need look no further than literally Ty Jerome to see how “great college shooter” translates to NBA when they’re going up against NBA close-outs and length. Ty was much better than Tyrese off the dribble in college too!

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Halliburton’s floor is slightly more efficient Michael Carter-Williams. There’s a very good chance he simply cannot break down NBA defenses, can’t shoot, is too thin/weak to guard wings, and too slow-footed to guard POA.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Last 5 lottery guards from Kentucky:
Booker
Murray
Fox
SGA
Herro

Maxey just has to get a long look at 10

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Although, there’s also Malik Monk, but I still think there’s a good chance he figures out his 3pt shot and becomes a good player. And he’s not the defender Maxey is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not see Halliburton as a projectably great shooter. He’s terrible off the dribble and he will have a much harder time hitting spot-ups given his long load time and slow release. You need look no further than literally Ty Jerome to see how “great college shooter” translates to NBA when they’re going up against NBA close-outs and length. Ty was much better than Tyrese off the dribble in college too!

Haliburton is much quicker than Jerome.

Also Jerome only had a wingspan of only 6' 4" while Haliburton has a wingspan of 6'7.5 ".

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In 24 games played, TH had just 38 possessions that ended with a shot around the rim and 29 that ended in a runner/floater. 67 possessions ending with a paint attempt.

To put that into perspective with the other top point guards in the class, Alabama’s Kira Lewis finished with 197 of those same looks, Kentucky guard Tyrese Maxey finished with 144.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ty Jerome had 90 shots at the rim in 18-19.

Ty was *much better* at getting to the rim, against better competition, than Halliburton.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave