2020 Draft

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were murmurs McD wanted Shai. I can’t remember how it all went down.

There were rumors McDonough wanted Shai. Heck I even thought the Suns had traded for Shai when a trade was announced. I had to be talked down from the ledge when I learned they had traded for Bridges instead. Don't get me wrong, I liked Bridges but the Suns were desperate for a point guard back then.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Murray and Fox were independently worthy of being drafted, Kentucky program or not. I put Maxey closer to the Monk, Goodwin and Ulis category than Murray, Fox and SGA.

This is the way I look at it as well.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very true, though in this mediocre draft, BPA is a more relative term than usual where the Suns are drafting. Heck, it is more relative at #1 overall...

Yeah, if I had the first pick I'd be looking to trade down. A team might get as good a player at #5 as #1.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There were rumors McDonough wanted Shai. Heck I even thought the Suns had traded for Shai when a trade was announced. I had to be talked down from the ledge when I learned they had traded for Bridges instead. Don't get me wrong, I liked Bridges but the Suns were desperate for a point guard back then.
And had jj and warren.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I agree that BPA ususally works, except this draft, just who is that at #10?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And had jj and warren.

and were probably planning on signing Ariza.

jesus... I still can’t believe we let a lame duck GM decide who was going to be the first pick in the draft, the next coach, play with 20 million in cap space and multiple first round picks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and were probably planning on signing Ariza.

jesus... I still can’t believe we let a lame duck GM decide who was going to be the first pick in the draft, the next coach, play with 20 million in cap space and multiple first round picks.

I'd like to know what made the Suns decide to fire McDonough seemingly between the 2018 draft and little more than a week before the start of the season.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'd like to know what made the Suns decide to fire McDonough seemingly between the 2018 draft and little more than a week before the start of the season.

I'd like to know why McDonough wasn't fired after the 2017-18 season, or even earlier, after the Bledsoe/Watson debacle in 2017...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know why McDonough wasn't fired after the 2017-18 season, or even earlier, after the Bledsoe/Watson debacle in 2017...

This too.

However, somehow McDonough survives until the 2018 draft, makes two solid draft picks and then is fired right before the season.

My guess is McDonough was fired over not having a point guard in place. I always thought McDonough wanted to draft Shai. Perhaps Sarver disagreed.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Easy answer to all of the above is that Sarver is a clown. Didn't fire McDonough earlier because that would be admitting a mistake. Then suddenly firing him a week before the season probably because McD disagreed with him on some trivial matter like what brand of TP to buy for the locker room.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Easy answer to all of the above is that Sarver is a clown. Didn't fire McDonough earlier because that would be admitting a mistake. Then suddenly firing him a week before the season probably because McD disagreed with him on some trivial matter like what brand of TP to buy for the locker room.
I think it's possible that it's the opposite. He spent so many years discarding GMs like they were garbage (and for the most part they were). I think in McD's case he didn't act fast enough because he thought he shouldn't have. It's a balancing act that he's been on the losing end for so long. So far, James Jones (and by extension Monty Williams) has been a long needed win for him.

I know it's easy to blame everything on Sarver's incompetence, but McD didn't need Sarver's help to be an awful GM.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Sarver has messed with every GM in some way whether it be meddling or financial restrictions. I believe every GM he’s hired after BC was a first timer. He likes to control them.

McD’s flaws were very clear though. His high draft picks were all upside picks without the homework. He was also one of the work executives regarding player relations i can remember. Sarver/McD were a double whammy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sarver has messed with every GM in some way whether it be meddling or financial restrictions. I believe every GM he’s hired after BC was a first timer. He likes to control them.

McD’s flaws were very clear though. His high draft picks were all upside picks without the homework. He was also one of the work executives regarding player relations i can remember. Sarver/McD were a double whammy.
So probably enough players, exiting coaches, maybe friends like Fitz and Kerr told him his framchise wan't player friendly enough and it finally sunk in when no big name free agents wanted to come here. So enter James Jones. One of the things they mentioned about James is he relates to players. Then they finally pick a coach that can relate to players. Starting to make that move to becoming a player friendly franchise. I know we all read stories from ex players that fondly remember Jerry C and the front office being player friendly. Back in the day we actually had guys that thought positively about Phoenix being a nice place to play ball. I am not so sure that is the viewpoint anymore. Maybe it's moving back that way with Booker developing.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

In a memo to teams today, the NBA explains that pushing the draft date back from October 16 allows for a pre-draft prep and a combine, more time to gather information on the potential start date for next season, and the advancing of talks with the NBPA on CBA matters.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am OK with pushing the draft. What do we really know about all these guys? Maybe some will have started NBA conditioning already, and we may seem some body changes by then, hopefully!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gotta believe they're going to push back next season to January 2021, right?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns will select a player with a good head on his shoulders. Unlike past drafts

Well, Ty Jerome has a GREAT head, but he is useless in the NBA.

There needs to be at least a modicum of athletic ability accompanying the good head.

Can't go from one extreme (all athleticism, no head or heart) to the other...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson