2019 Free Agency

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think, all things considered, I'd rather give Brogdon a max then Russell. Matter of fact, if we are absolutely determined to give some wholly undeserving guard a max contract, Malcolm is probably my first choice.

I didn't say anything about giving a max deal to D'Angelo Russell. What I said is he looks like a perfect fit next to Booker.

Brogdon is not worth a max contract.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about giving a max deal to D'Angelo Russell. What I said is he looks like a perfect fit next to Booker.

I know that. It was just a general comment in response to yours, it wasn't intended as an attack. I just don't agree that he's a perfect fit next to Booker, quite the opposite IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that. It was just a general comment in response to yours, it wasn't intended as an attack. I just don't agree that he's a perfect fit next to Booker, quite the opposite IMO.

I didn't take it as anything but a difference of opinion. The chances of the Suns getting D'Angelo Russell are slim and none.

Let's move on to Klay Thompson, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul and Anthony Davis.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Can you expand on that? I see that back court as ball-dominant and lacking defense. Russell can certainly score and shoot, which is good, but I think that the negatives are too much to overcome.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you expand on that? I see that back court as ball-dominant and lacking defense. Russell can certainly score and shoot, which is good, but I think that the negatives are too much to overcome.

I was looking at it from the perspective that D'Angelo Russell would give the Suns two dynamic scorers in the backcourt sort of like Portland. With Ayton upfront there is a lot to like.

I understand the defensive deficiencies and the question of ball dominance but I think it could work. The Suns would gain something and lose something. It's all about acquiring stars and then making it work. Again I'm not advocating for Russell but I think Booker and Russell could be potent.

There are rumors the Nets might want to add Kyrie and play him next to Russell. If this happens the Nets would have one of the most high-powered backcourts in the NBA. Do I think it could work there...maybe.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was looking at it from the perspective that D'Angelo Russell would give the Suns two dynamic scorers in the backcourt sort of like Portland. With Ayton upfront there is a lot to like.

I understand the defensive deficiencies and the question of ball dominance but I think it could work. The Suns would gain something and lose something. It's all about acquiring stars and then making it work. Again I'm not advocating for Russell but I think Booker and Russell could be potent.

There are rumors the Nets might want to add Kyrie and play him next to Russell. If this happens the Nets would have one of the most high-powered backcourts in the NBA. Do I think it could work there...maybe.
A Kyrie/Russell backcourt would not be likely to work IMO. It’s about the personalities.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Kyrie/Russell backcourt would not be likely to work IMO. It’s about the personalities.

Personalities are issue for sure not to mention the need to have the ball in their hands.

If the Nets rolled the dice with a Kyrie-Russell backcourt it would be fun to see... if it worked.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyrie might be the key to our pg free agent signing.

If he goes to the Nets, we go for Dinwiddie (or Russell)
Knicks, DJJR
Clips, Shamet
Lakers, Lonzo

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyrie might be the key to our pg free agent signing.

If he goes to the Nets, we go for Dinwiddie (or Russell)
Knicks, DJJR
Clips, Shamet
Lakers, Lonzo

It sounds like the Nets want to keep Russell. He is one of the reasons they took the next step.

The Nets have a salary space. They may not feel compelled to move Dinwiddie even if they add Kyrie unless he wants out.

I admire what the Nets have done.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I could even see the Nets owner paying luxury tax if he had to. That dude has money!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like the Nets want to keep Russell. He is one of the reasons they took the next step.

The Nets have a salary space. They may not feel compelled to move Dinwiddie even if they add Kyrie unless he wants out.

That's a ton of money to tie up in their backcourt. I think they would look to move Dinwiddie if possible. A Dinwiddie for Warren swap would make sense for both teams if they ended up maxing out Kyrie and resign Russell for upwards of $20 million a year. Caris LaVert is another wing they have that will be looking for a payday soon and I think they would prefer to keep him and play him as the 1st guard off the bench if they had a Russell and Kyrie starting backcourt. We'll see what happens. Kyrie might have interest but I don't see him choosing Brooklyn over Boston, LA, New York, and whoever else makes a run at him.

I could even see the Nets owner paying luxury tax if he had to. That dude has money!

I thought the Nets owner was looking to sell? That's the last I heard of him. The Russian billionaire, right?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I thought the Nets owner was looking to sell? That's the last I heard of him. The Russian billionaire, right?
Joseph Tsai, the billionaire Taiwanese-Canadian co-founder of the world’s largest retailer, Alibaba, will purchase 49 percent of the Brooklyn Nets with an option to take over majority ownership of the franchise in four years, according to a report from ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski and Zach Lowe.
This guy is even MORE rich! He makes the Russian guy look poor!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This guy is even MORE rich! He makes the Russian guy look poor!

I wasn't aware that he had sold already, I guess since he technically has a majority stake still that news of that sale was a little quieter than usual. I wonder how that will work for the new billionaire if he elects to buy the rest in 2021. Will he pay the 51% based on what the team is valued at in 2021 or will it be 51% based on the 2017 price when he bought 49%? I guess it doesn't matter all that much to him. I'm surprised that total price doesn't include the arena also, $2.3 billion without the arena is a ton of money.

I guess Prokhorov knows what he has with the Barclay Center. Almost all of the major events I hear of happening in New York are taking place there and not Madison Square Garden, which is strange but understandable. I know MSG was renovated recently but from what I've heard Barclay's Center is really top of the line when it comes to venues. I can only imagine how much Prokhorov makes on that annually, excluding the Nets.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a ton of money to tie up in their backcourt. I think they would look to move Dinwiddie if possible. A Dinwiddie for Warren swap would make sense for both teams if they ended up maxing out Kyrie and resign Russell for upwards of $20 million a year. Caris LaVert is another wing they have that will be looking for a payday soon and I think they would prefer to keep him and play him as the 1st guard off the bench if they had a Russell and Kyrie starting backcourt. We'll see what happens. Kyrie might have interest but I don't see him choosing Brooklyn over Boston, LA, New York, and whoever else makes a run at him.

This would be a great scenario if Warren (agent) and the Nets have mutual interest. I don't think the Suns could get a better return on Warren.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They will not have cap room because kyrie and Durant are a package deal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They will not have cap room because kyrie and Durant are a package deal

It would be incredible if the Nets landed both. If this happens, they will have zoomed right past the Suns in their rebuild. Maybe they have already.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would be incredible if the Nets landed both. If this happens, they will have zoomed right past the Suns in their rebuild. Maybe they have already.

It hasn’t happened yet.

They will be choosing between the knicks, nets, and clippers.

Possible KD stays in GS and kyrie goes to the lakers also.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It hasn’t happened yet.

They will be choosing between the knicks, nets, and clippers.

Possible KD stays in GS and kyrie goes to the lakers also.

I can see Kyrie landing with the Lakers. I'm not sure about Durant.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They don't have enough cap room to sign both to max deals. Even if they renounced everyone, they'd have a little over $50M. Both Kyrie and KD will have contracts starting over 30M and KD will start closer to 40M

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know with Golden State still in the playoffs it's unlikely they would say anything but what are the chances they help Durant leave by facilitating a sign and trade? If they helped him land in Brooklyn, for example, they could add a few pieces to help rebuild their bench. A team like Brooklyn wouldn't need to send a lot of salary back either, just enough to squeeze him under the cap with Kyrie. That might make it worthwhile for the Warriors to help KD out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know with Golden State still in the playoffs it's unlikely they would say anything but what are the chances they help Durant leave by facilitating a sign and trade? If they helped him land in Brooklyn, for example, they could add a few pieces to help rebuild their bench. A team like Brooklyn wouldn't need to send a lot of salary back either, just enough to squeeze him under the cap with Kyrie. That might make it worthwhile for the Warriors to help KD out.
I am thinking Durant won't do a sign and trade. Supposedly he has been telling everyone he wants to get paid this year. The cheapest I could see him doing this, is if it was only a one year deal to get somewhere they can max him out. Assuming you can get a max deal after only one year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am thinking Durant won't do a sign and trade. Supposedly he has been telling everyone he wants to get paid this year. The cheapest I could see him doing this, is if it was only a one year deal to get somewhere they can max him out. Assuming you can get a max deal after only one year.

It depends on the team's cap situation. Say he wanted to come to Phoenix, which I'm only using as an example, then we could sign him to the most money we have available right now for 1 year and then work to free up more space to give him a max deal next summer. I'm not sure how our salary situation looks next summer but with Tyler Johnson's contract expiring, we might have some more available if we don't spend elsewhere this year. Again, I'm only using the Suns as an example. If the team he signs with can clear max space for next summer then he'd be free to sign now for 1 year and getting a max next summer but that team couldn't go over the cap to sign him because they wouldn't have any bird rights with him.

However if Durant wants to go to a team without max room now, he could ask Golden State to facilitate a sign and trade because they have his bird rights they could sign him to a max and trade him but to do that they need to take back salary. That's up to Golden State as far as if they want anything or not. They could do a sign and trade with New York and accept a pick in return because New York has the cap space to absorb his max deal but if he were traded to us in a sign and trade, we'd need to send back enough to clear space for him which would probably mean Warren and Tyler Johnson, plus the rest of our cap space. They would get a small trade exception for the difference in salary they sent out, KD's max, and what they take back, whatever is between KD's salary and TJ and TJ's contract together. So KD still gets paid regardless, it's just a matter of the Warriors playing ball and KD wanting to go to a team that can't sign him outright, which is unlikely.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It depends on the team's cap situation. Say he wanted to come to Phoenix, which I'm only using as an example, then we could sign him to the most money we have available right now for 1 year and then work to free up more space to give him a max deal next summer. I'm not sure how our salary situation looks next summer but with Tyler Johnson's contract expiring, we might have some more available if we don't spend elsewhere this year. Again, I'm only using the Suns as an example. If the team he signs with can clear max space for next summer then he'd be free to sign now for 1 year and getting a max next summer but that team couldn't go over the cap to sign him because they wouldn't have any bird rights with him.

However if Durant wants to go to a team without max room now, he could ask Golden State to facilitate a sign and trade because they have his bird rights they could sign him to a max and trade him but to do that they need to take back salary. That's up to Golden State as far as if they want anything or not. They could do a sign and trade with New York and accept a pick in return because New York has the cap space to absorb his max deal but if he were traded to us in a sign and trade, we'd need to send back enough to clear space for him which would probably mean Warren and Tyler Johnson, plus the rest of our cap space. They would get a small trade exception for the difference in salary they sent out, KD's max, and what they take back, whatever is between KD's salary and TJ and TJ's contract together. So KD still gets paid regardless, it's just a matter of the Warriors playing ball and KD wanting to go to a team that can't sign him outright, which is unlikely.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe this is possible anymore. Teams that are over or will exceed the salary cap via sign and trade can't do sign and trades. It's why they've become so rare since the last CBA when they used to be the norm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson