2019 Free Agency

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I don't believe this is possible anymore. Teams that are over or will exceed the salary cap via sign and trade can't do sign and trades. It's why they've become so rare since the last CBA when they used to be the norm.

Teams that are in the luxury tax or will hit the tax can't do sign and trades, or acquire a player from a sign and trade. Also players involved in sign and trades can no longer receive that extra year or the higher raises that used to be available if their original team agreed to trade them off like we did with Amare. Since there really is no advantage for the players anymore in terms of years or annual salary, there isn't much reason to even ask for a sign and trade. That's part of why it doesn't happen anymore. There's less of an incentive to make it happen.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Monty Williams can do some magic, I would consider adding Elfrid Payton. I know, that's a big if.

The Suns could not rely on him to be the starter.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If Monty Williams can do some magic, I would consider adding Elfrid Payton. I know, that's a big if.

The Suns could not rely on him to be the starter.

If they wanted Payton, they easily could have kept him last offseason...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they wanted Payton, they easily could have kept him last offseason...

Something didn't work last time around. I'm not sure what. If things have changed, it's worth considering.

He is probably a better and cheaper option than Rubio.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Something didn't work last time around. I'm not sure what. If things have changed, it's worth considering.

He is probably a better and cheaper option than Rubio.

I'd be open to it. Payton is 100 times the point guard Tyler Johnson is.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It did, but I think it was more than that. If it wasn't something really bad a new GM and coach might risk it.

He did quit on Triano and the team. I would call that really bad. (And yet I would STILL prefer him to Tyler Johnson at the point.)

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What was odd was Payton came in, had a triple double and started to light it up the first so many games with us. Then it was like Triano, or someone, told him knock that off! His style of play just seemed to change almost at once. He seemed very reluctant to drive to the hole like he started off doing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did quit on Triano and the team. I would call that really bad. (And yet I would STILL prefer him to Tyler Johnson at the point.)

We don't know what was going on behind the scene, but yes, Payton's play dropped off.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Do you have a reason to suspect this?

Just putting two and two together. It is no secret that Warren has resented Jackson starting at small forward, and Warren pretty much quit on the team this year. Add in the fact that Payton and Warren are as close to one another as are Booker and Russell, then if Warren's resentment last year was anywhere near what it was this past season...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just putting two and two together. It is no secret that Warren has resented Jackson starting at small forward, and Warren pretty much quit on the team this year. Add in the fact that Payton and Warren are as close to one another as are Booker and Russell, then if Warren's resentment last year was anywhere near what it was this past season...

I forgot about the Warren and Payton connection. It's a thought.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton's play has been pretty much the same for about 3 or 4 years. He can fill up the stat sheet... he also can't shoot and doesn't even pretend to care on defense... and his teams consistently do better when he isn't on the court.

He is a hard no for me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tend to concur, and yet he is a better option at the point than Tyler Johnson.

No, he isn't.

I have no idea what you have against Tyler, but it is not rational.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
No, he isn't.

I have no idea what you have against Tyler, but it is not rational.

My son is a die-hard Miami Heat fan. I just happen to know more about Tyler Johnson's deficiencies than any Suns fan who is not directly connected to a Miami Heat fan...

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
My son is a die-hard Miami Heat fan. I just happen to know more about Tyler Johnson's deficiencies than any Suns fan who is not directly connected to a Miami Heat fan...
I get that. I watched almost every game of GS basketball when I lived in Nevada up until last year. I probably know that team better than most here. It was the only local basketball team in our area. For whatever reason we had the Bay Area local TV stations.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who knew we had a bonafide expert on the board? And all based on his son being a die-hard Miami Heat fan! Why don't you work for the Suns??

No need to get chippy. Another poster asked me for the basis of my opinions on Tyler Johnson, and I simply answered the question.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to get chippy. Another poster asked me for the basis of my opinions on Tyler Johnson, and I simply answered the question.

You know, if you were to go to a Miami Heat board a year or two ago and asked what they thought of him, you wouldn't get anywhere near a consensus. From what I've read on the RGM Miami board, most fans liked him a lot but were disappointed that he didn't improve as much as they expected and they were greatly disappointed in how much he was costing the team.

And, you really didn't just "simply answer the question", you made it clear that you consider yourself an expert compared to the rest of us because your son is a Heat fan. My son loved anime and manga but surprisingly enough, it didn't make me an expert on Ghost in the Shell.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson