2019 Free Agency

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So many teams are gonna have cap space in 2019 that I think it’s gonna be a repeat of the 2016 off season.

I feel like it’s gonna be more beneficial to have cap space in 2020 because I think most teams will blow their load next summer itself.

And by waiting, they can have that money available without needing to stretch Knight, which will cost them more for a few years, and they also don't give up on Bender or Chriss too early. It makes more sense to wait. If they find a way to spend that money then they should explore ways to open up more space but freeing the space before spending it could leave them in a much worse position than they normally would be.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And by waiting, they can have that money available without needing to stretch Knight, which will cost them more for a few years, and they also don't give up on Bender or Chriss too early. It makes more sense to wait. If they find a way to spend that money then they should explore ways to open up more space but freeing the space before spending it could leave them in a much worse position than they normally would be.
Always waiting. We cannot wait that long for a pg. this season will tell us a lot. Chriss and Bender have to show improvement this year or they will end up being cut, yes, not traded. Their trade value will be nil if their playing time dwindles this year.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Always waiting. We cannot wait that long for a pg. this season will tell us a lot. Chriss and Bender have to show improvement this year or they will end up being cut, yes, not traded. Their trade value will be nil if their playing time dwindles this year.

They can address the need for a PG next offseason with the money they'll have available. They don't need to cut or stretch anyone. Is anyone on the market next summer that is a PG option who will be a max player? I don't think so. If there was then I could see freeing up max space but that's unnecessary to do before hand. We can waive, trade, or stretch someone the same on July 8th as on July 1st. Trading might be a little different but that's when the league allows moves to be made official. It's nothing but handshake deals until then. All I'm saying is we shouldn't make any rash decisions before we find a better way to spend that money.

I don't believe they'll need to cut Bender or Chriss. Fans typically overvalue players but they're often guilty of undervaluing talent also. Chriss and Bender are still very young and on rookie contracts. If the Suns elected to give up on them, they should be able to find a suitor to take on their contracts without attaching an asset to them. Their salaries aren't very much and they're still developing. We won't get much back in return, if anything, but if we were looking to give them away, I'm sure there is a team that would bite. They've been disappointments here, no doubt, but some team will think they haven't been given a fair shot or that they can get them to do more. It's a 1 year commitment to them. That's not a lot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can address the need for a PG next offseason with the money they'll have available. They don't need to cut or stretch anyone. Is anyone on the market next summer that is a PG option who will be a max player? I don't think so. If there was then I could see freeing up max space but that's unnecessary to do before hand. We can waive, trade, or stretch someone the same on July 8th as on July 1st. Trading might be a little different but that's when the league allows moves to be made official. It's nothing but handshake deals until then. All I'm saying is we shouldn't make any rash decisions before we find a better way to spend that money.

I don't believe they'll need to cut Bender or Chriss. Fans typically overvalue players but they're often guilty of undervaluing talent also. Chriss and Bender are still very young and on rookie contracts. If the Suns elected to give up on them, they should be able to find a suitor to take on their contracts without attaching an asset to them. Their salaries aren't very much and they're still developing. We won't get much back in return, if anything, but if we were looking to give them away, I'm sure there is a team that would bite. They've been disappointments here, no doubt, but some team will think they haven't been given a fair shot or that they can get them to do more. It's a 1 year commitment to them. That's not a lot.

From my perspective, you make a good case for trading for Dragic and shooting for the season of 2021 to make a big splash in free agency.

Dragic should get us there quite nicely. :cool:

I'm willing to look at other PGs as well... not just Dragic. However, the Suns need to look to win as soon as possible.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking ahead in regard to CAP space for 2019.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
C'mon Evan! You are supposed to be a pro! The Suns don't have to "move" Bender or Chriss. They hold a team option on both. If the Suns find one or more free agents they want, they can just renounce either player or both.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C'mon Evan! You are supposed to be a pro! The Suns don't have to "move" Bender or Chriss. They hold a team option on both. If the Suns find one or more free agents they want, they can just renounce either player or both.

I'm not sure where you are getting this from. I did not say the Suns had to move Chriss or Bender.

I was saying if the Suns acquired Dragic they might look towards the 2020-21 season to make a big splash.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you are getting this from. I did not say the Suns had to move Chriss or Bender.
I said Evan (Sidery). I was addressing the quote you posted rather than you personally. Hopefully your name is not Evan, because that would be an unfortunate confusing factor :).

I get that you are just the messenger.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I was saying if the Suns acquired Dragic they might look towards the 2020-21 season to make a big splash.
Are you Evan Sidery?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm just happy our early discussions for next season are focused around free agency and not the draft! I can't wait to consistently root for the Suns to win regular season games.

I might need a little help from you guys! :rolleyes:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And I was thinking this was your alias.
Confused by this answer. Are you saying that you thought I was Sidery?

Seems like an appropriate question, as you took a post JC made that clearly was directed toward him and answered it as if it was directed to you.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Confused by this answer. Are you saying that you thought I was Sidery?

Seems like an appropriate question, as you took a post JC made that clearly was directed toward him and answered it as if it was directed to you.

I have no issue with JC. However, look at the question directed at me:

Are you Evan Sidery?

And you are confused? I think you are looking to create a problem where none existed.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A little innocent confusion. A little light-hearted ribbing back and forth. It's all good.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no issue with JC. However, look at the question directed at me:

And you are confused? I think you are looking to create a problem where none existed.
No problem. I asked a simple question. Wasn’t meant to be insulting or snarky.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They do have those team options but they need to be picked up before this season starts. I believe they have until October 31st to pick up the 4th year options of both Chriss and Bender for the 2019-20 season. I may be wrong on the exact date but that is a decision that needs to be made this offseason rather than next. Rookie contracts are different than regular contracts as far as when options need to be picked up.

If they don't pick up options that would kill their trade value, like with the 76'ers and Jahlil Okafor last year. Then in a trade they become a rental, with no real advantage to trade for them. A team could sign them outright at seasons end. They can be given away with their options picked up or being declined but if the light comes on, they need to pay a lot more a year early to keep them around. Chances are they wouldn't want to stay though since the team didn't believe in them enough to pick up their option.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little innocent confusion. A little light-hearted ribbing back and forth. It's all good.

Unfortunately I skimmed over the reference to "C'mon Evan!" in your post.

Nevermind. :wink2:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Sidery writes an article today giving a fresh look at the Suns entering free agency in 2019. I'm not sure any of the four stars he mentions will be coming to the Suns but it is a fun read. The Suns are indeed dependent upon Booker taking the next step, along with Ayton, to make the Suns an attractive destination.

Pointing towards 2019, the Suns can create maximum cap space rather easily. It can come about in two of the most likely scenarios at this point: 1.) Simply trading Brandon Knight’s final year of his contract attached with the 2020 Milwaukee pick. 2.) Stretch Knight’s contract over next three years while also trading one of Marquese Chriss or Dragan Bender. Either one of those avenues are what Phoenix would have to do in hopes of attracting either that one missing piece at point guard or power forward.

Four names who are expected to be unrestricted free agents next summer — Kevin Durant, Jimmy Butler, Kyrie Irving and Klay Thompson — have all thrown praise Booker’s ways over the past two seasons. When Jay Triano mentioned at the end of the season that players want to play with Booker, he might not be lying there. As noticed in the pure player voting for All-Star ballots, he got the most name drops on there.

The thing is, none of those names will be coming to the Valley unless Ayton is a legitimate force from Day 1 paired with Booker taking the leap as one of the best scorers in the NBA.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Evan Sidery writes an article today giving a fresh look at the Suns entering free agency in 2019. I'm not sure any of the four stars he mentions will be coming to the Suns but it is a fun read. The Suns are indeed dependent upon Booker taking the next step, along with Ayton, to make the Suns an attractive destination.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

OK. I will play along.

1. Booker is a player that has the potential to draft other free agents? Absolutely. He is a likable person, exudes a sense of confidence, and plays unselfishly, which is a very difficult combination to fine.
2. The other players would have an impact too. Players like Mikal, JJ, are those perfect complementary players that superstars love to have around them. Ayton should help too.
3. I am really hoping the coaching is also a plus. Everyone who has played for Igor loves him, so.
4. Of the four mentioned, Klay and Butler do not make sense to me. Why would Kyrie leave Boston. He has all kinds of players around him, its the NBA Basketball Mecca, and he is in the East. So that leaves Durant, who is the best target in my mind. He fills a huge need at PF. Don't talk to me about Bender or Chriss. This is Durant. He is young enough to have lots of 5 o 6 good NBA years ahead of him. Also, it helps to take GS down a peg.

Durant it is.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I will play along.

1. Booker is a player that has the potential to draft other free agents? Absolutely. He is a likable person, exudes a sense of confidence, and plays unselfishly, which is a very difficult combination to fine.
2. The other players would have an impact too. Players like Mikal, JJ, are those perfect complementary players that superstars love to have around them. Ayton should help too.
3. I am really hoping the coaching is also a plus. Everyone who has played for Igor loves him, so.
4. Of the four mentioned, Klay and Butler do not make sense to me. Why would Kyrie leave Boston. He has all kinds of players around him, its the NBA Basketball Mecca, and he is in the East. So that leaves Durant, who is the best target in my mind. He fills a huge need at PF. Don't talk to me about Bender or Chriss. This is Durant. He is young enough to have lots of 5 o 6 good NBA years ahead of him. Also, it helps to take GS down a peg.

Durant it is.

I'm not really expecting any of the four mentioned stars coming to Phoenix. Hopefully the Suns have potential stars in the making on their roster and they can look to secondary type players like Tobias Harris, Ricky Rubio or Darren Collison to take the next step.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I'm not really expecting any of the four mentioned stars coming to Phoenix. Hopefully the Suns have potential stars in the making on their roster and they can look to secondary type players like Tobias Harris, Ricky Rubio or Darren Collison to take the next step.

Yeah, this seems the most likely scenario to me, too. I don't see any current superstars signing here, even if the Suns prove out this season as one of the league's up-and-coming teams.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't think it's impossible, but everything would need to fall into place. Booker would have to take the next step and turn into an unquestionable All Star, Ayton needs to play really well for a rookie, a couple of others have to turn into serviceable players (JJ, Bridges, Bender, etc) or Warren needs to become a better shooter, Knight has to look like an NBA player again, etc. I realize Knight would have to go bye-bye next year, but the Suns need to make the playoffs to attract the likes of KD, and they are not making them without Knight being a legitimate NBA player.