2018: Arizona Cardinals - Season Prediction Thread

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
6-10

Teams crush our D in the run game, our passing game is ineffective and constant checkdowns & the road schedule is brutal

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Offense
Can/Will Bradford stay healthy? Rosen does his best but the Oline sucks.
Can most/any of our Oline stay healthy? Maybe Cole plays all 16 games and unfortunately Smith does the same.
TE's, do we have any?
WR's, we have Fitz and ………………
RB's, a very good stable that can only do so much with our injury prone Oline.

Defense
Dline, we have some solid players and Jones is a stud but our run D will struggle.
LB, we need to petition the NFL to go with weight of players instead of number because Buc and company are light weights.
DB's, this is a very solid unit so hopefully they can carry the team.

Tale of the tape, doing the math says we go 10-6.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rams fan is more positive about my team than me. Dang, I need to revisit my outlook on being a fan of any team.
8-8. Regardless whether Bradford or Rosen is QB.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If DJ gets back to "form"...this team barring tons of injuries gets to 8 or 9 wins easily imho.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Division record is 2-4. Lose twice to Rams and Niners. I truly think SF is going to be able to put up a lot of points with Garoppolo.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or maybe they've already learned?
How could they learn already with Bradford only playing a short while? Teams need time to gel and be put in positions to see how they will react and learn.

It's tough to evaluate Sam Bradford based on the Arizona Cardinals' preseason.The 30-year-old quarterback attempted 11 passes in three games, completing eight with none longer than 16 yards. Bradford was efficient and effective while running an offense designed to keep him under wraps.

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-ca...eal-sam-bradford-who-can-throw-receivers-open

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If DJ gets back to "form"...this team barring tons of injuries gets to 8 or 9 wins easily imho.

I’m still confused about why people think this when we won 7 games just 2 years ago under the same circumstances.
You've repeatedly raised this point and i'd like to ask whether you really believe that having DJ back healthy will have no impact on the team's record?

The 2016 team was done in by the worst special teams i've ever seen. They were 9th in yards gained (6th in scoring) 2nd in yards allowed (14th in scoring), scored 418 points and were +56 in point differential, yet finished 7-8-1. They were 3rd in rushing TDs and 12th in yards per rush.

Something was definitely out of sync on the O and D, whether it was a "hangover" from the Championship Game loss and "All or Nothing", psychological hit from losing the opener to New England, or whatever. But 2-3 losses were directly attributable to atrocious special teams gaffes. The missed FG vs. NE, blocked punts, long returns and a KR TD against, etc.

The 2017 team, without DJ, was 22nd in yards gained and still 6th in yards allowed (19th in scoring), scored 295 points (123 less than the year before!) and was -66 in point differential. Yep, they won a half game more but they were 28th in rushing TDs and 31st in yards per rush. The offense clearly went into the toilet compared to 2016.

Yet you have repeatedly implied that having a healthy David Johnson will not have a positive impact on the team's record, based on the lousy record in 2016. (You have also made multiple references to the fact that Johnson "averaged 2.1 ypc" in 2017 (on 11 carries - and you neglected to mention his 67 receiving yards on 6 catches in the same partial game!) and compared him to Andre Ellington with regard to his "couple of promising seasons".)

SO i ask you, do you really think that the jury is still out on David Johnson, and that having him back and healthy this season will have no significant impact on the team's win total?

...dbs

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You've repeatedly raised this point and i'd like to ask whether you really believe that having DJ back healthy will have no impact on the team's record?

The 2016 team was done in by the worst special teams i've ever seen. They were 9th in yards gained (6th in scoring) 2nd in yards allowed (14th in scoring), scored 418 points and were +56 in point differential, yet finished 7-8-1. They were 3rd in rushing TDs and 12th in yards per rush.

Something was definitely out of sync on the O and D, whether it was a "hangover" from the Championship Game loss and "All or Nothing", psychological hit from losing the opener to New England, or whatever. But 2-3 losses were directly attributable to atrocious special teams gaffes. The missed FG vs. NE, blocked punts, long returns and a KR TD against, etc.

The 2017 team, without DJ, was 22nd in yards gained and still 6th in yards allowed (19th in scoring), scored 295 points (123 less than the year before!) and was -66 in point differential. Yep, they won a half game more but they were 28th in rushing TDs and 31st in yards per rush. The offense clearly went into the toilet compared to 2016.

Yet you have repeatedly implied that having a healthy David Johnson will not have a positive impact on the team's record, based on the lousy record in 2016. (You have also made multiple references to the fact that Johnson "averaged 2.1 ypc" in 2017 (on 11 carries - and you neglected to mention his 67 receiving yards on 6 catches in the same partial game!) and compared him to Andre Ellington with regard to his "couple of promising seasons".)

SO i ask you, do you really think that the jury is still out on David Johnson, and that having him back and healthy this season will have no significant impact on the team's win total?

...dbs

I do, but I don't know if it's enough to make up for newly made deficiencies in other areas. For example, that 2016 team was Top 10 on offense and defense. Do you expect this team to be a Top 10 offense? I certainly don't—even if Bradford is healthy for 16 games. The receiver corps is dramatically worse. I don't believe the game-day coaching is going to be as good as we had.

I just don't think that the people saying "Well, DJ's back there's no way we're going 8-8 again." That 8-8 record actually exceeded our win expectancy by 2 games(!). That's coaching.

So, do I think that adding David Johnson but decimating the QB position and WR corps is going to make a difference in the W/L column? Not really. I think the absolute ceiling for this team is 9 wins.

I'm not ready to put David Johnson in the same class as Todd Gurley and Le'Veon Bell. I want to see him do it again, and I don't want to see him fumble. I also think that he's too old to hitch your wagon to for the long-term. We're gonna need to draft another back before Josh Rosen is ready to win a championship. By the time Ladianian Tomlinson was DJ's age, he'd had SEVEN 1200+ rushing seasons.

It's a high compliment that I'm comparing DJ to Gurley, Bell, and Tomlinson. I have a pretty high bar for these comparisons.

Reaction score
I do, but I don't know if it's enough to make up for newly made deficiencies in other areas. For example, that 2016 team was Top 10 on offense and defense. Do you expect this team to be a Top 10 offense? I certainly don't—even if Bradford is healthy for 16 games. The receiver corps is dramatically worse. I don't believe the game-day coaching is going to be as good as we had.

I just don't think that the people saying "Well, DJ's back there's no way we're going 8-8 again." That 8-8 record actually exceeded our win expectancy by 2 games(!). That's coaching.

So, do I think that adding David Johnson but decimating the QB position and WR corps is going to make a difference in the W/L column? Not really. I think the absolute ceiling for this team is 9 wins.

I'm not ready to put David Johnson in the same class as Todd Gurley and Le'Veon Bell. I want to see him do it again, and I don't want to see him fumble. I also think that he's too old to hitch your wagon to for the long-term. We're gonna need to draft another back before Josh Rosen is ready to win a championship. By the time Ladianian Tomlinson was DJ's age, he'd had SEVEN 1200+ rushing seasons.

It's a high compliment that I'm comparing DJ to Gurley, Bell, and Tomlinson. I have a pretty high bar for these comparisons.

Do you really think our QB room is decimated compared to last year? The wr I would say is a wash. We had an injured John Brown & Jaron. How is what we have now so much worse? I would say we improved at QB. I believe Sam is a better QB than Carson. Rosen is better than Gabbert most likely.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you really think our QB room is decimated compared to last year? The wr I would say is a wash. We had an injured John Brown & Jaron. How is what we have now so much worse? I would say we improved at QB. I believe Sam is a better QB than Carson. Rosen is better than Gabbert most likely.

LOL. Now you're blocked. I don't need another troll in my life with nothing to say to move the discussion forward.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
:thud:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Umm .. poll, please?

6-10

DJ31 is gonna have a down year because of no vertical threat

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Palmer performed at a pretty high level during his time here in AZ, and it will be difficult for Bradford achieve that same level of success. But not impossible.

Palmer struck me as kind of "robotic" last season. He made a high percentage of the easy plays, but.. I don't know... there was something missing from his approach. I'm not sure he ever fully recovered from that flame-out in the conference championship game against CAR (I know that his hand was hurt for that game).

Meanwhile, last year Sam showed a glimpse of why many people still believe he can be a very good (top seven) NFL QB.

So while I don't think it's reasonable to say that 2018's Slinging Sammy Bradford will be "better" than 2017's Carson "The Robot" Palmer, and it truth it's probably unlikely, neither do I think it's out of the realm of possibility. Maybe like a 35% chance of it happening.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Check-down Lord Samuel Bradford has been an average QB in his career & somehow has fooled people into believing he’s been an above-average one.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12-4 - LA Rams
7-9 - Cards
7-9 - SF
6-10 - Seattle

Reaction score
LOL. Now you're blocked. I don't need another troll in my life with nothing to say to move the discussion forward.

When you go around trolling other people you are bound to have a lot of trolls in your life. ;)

I believe Carson is a very good QB but I believe is the more accurate of the two. You act like I'm comparing Palmer to Skelton or something. Bradford set the record for a single season completion percentage until Brees broke it.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn