2018-19 NAZ Suns/G-League Affiliate Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread to follow what the NAZ Suns are doing. We can use this thread for all of the call ups and assignments this year.

I know they claimed Juwan Evans but the Suns also sent Melton down for assignment, which is a good move, IMO. With the G-League season just starting, and the Suns having an open roster now that Chandler was traded plus having another Two-Way contract available if they so desire, I think we'll see someone added this month. I'm not sure who but I hope it's more than Evans on a Two-Way deal, and definitely more than him on a regular contract. Signing Evans to a full contract before kicking the tires on him with a Two-Way deal would be a mistake. We have that option available and should use it with any young players.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was quick. I like the their G-League team being so close.

That's one thing that the NBA has done right with the G-League. Putting teams close enough to their affiliates that traveling back and forth isn't much of an issue. They also changed Two-Way contracts so traveling back and forth doesn't count against a players 45 days on the main roster, which is something they should have implemented from the start.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one thing that the NBA has done right with the G-League. Putting teams close enough to their affiliates that traveling back and forth isn't much of an issue. They also changed Two-Way contracts so traveling back and forth doesn't count against a players 45 days on the main roster, which is something they should have had implemented from the start.

I totally agree. It's also nice for fans living near the Prescott area to catch some games. Maybe not so far down the road G-League games may become the thing. There were 2,215 fans in attendance in their opener, a loss to the Santa Cruz Warriors.

https://northernarizona.gleague.nba.com/news/suns-run-out-of-time-in-2018-19-season-opener/

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
watched the second half and how the warriors have more talent then the Suns in the G league is a crime. Where is BC to bitch about this.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My god they should have signed Peters he was good. I bet he was pissed because he new that he was better then Chriss and Bender

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My god they should have signed Peters he was good. I bet he was pissed because he new that he was better then Chriss and Bender

I was a little surprised that Peters signed overseas as quick as he did. I wouldn't have minded him on another Two-Way deal this year. Perhaps he wasn't interested in that again though. I know the pay on a Two-Way deal is somewhere between 200-400 thousand a year, which isn't bad but most players like Peters who have played in the NBA, albeit briefly, can get contracts in that range overseas fairly easy nowadays and the amount they sign for overseas is guaranteed. With the Two-Way deals they could make very little for a month, basically G-League salary, and then jump up to NBA money the following month if they get called up, so they would go from 5-6 grand to 50-60 grand depending on where they're assigned. There is a minimum on the Two-Way deals but that only gets paid if they don't reach that amount throughout the season. The NBA needs to work on that and make it a regular monthly amount, regardless of where they're assigned, because I can see the downside to a player having to sort of guess how much you might make in any given month.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assigned him, called him back, assigned him again, all in the space of a few days. I am sure there is a reason, but it seems a bit herky jerky.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Assigned him, called him back, assigned him again, all in the space of a few days. I am sure there is a reason, but it seems a bit herky jerky.

They assigned him and he played one game, brought him back to be available for the Memphis game, and now he's back down. Like Mainstreet said, with the close proximity of our affiliate team it's not that difficult to send guys up and down, especially if both the Suns and NAZ Suns are playing at home.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
This is surprising to me. Okobo looks like he has a much better feel for the NBA game so far. His generally makes the right read on passes and moves the ball the best of our PGs.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is surprising to me. Okobo looks like he has a much better feel for the NBA game so far. His generally makes the right read on passes and moves the ball the best of our PGs.

Eh, I have seen good flashes from both Okobo and Melton.

Melton is better defensively, and Okobo slightly better offensively. Neither are very good distributors, Okobo is the better ball handler.

I think overall they are pretty equal at this point. Both need better outside shots, both need to become better distributors.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Melton is better defensively, and Okobo slightly better offensively. Neither are very good distributors, Okobo is the better ball handler.

I think overall they are pretty equal at this point. Both need better outside shots, both need to become better distributors.

It's probably due mostly to opportunity (minutes) but I've seen more "good flashes" from Okobo than Melton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like both players and have seen flashes as well. Melton is slightly behind because he missed a season of college basketball. I like his aggressiveness though. I'm hoping the Suns can hang onto both.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson