2017 Senior Bowl Prospects

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Here are Senior Bowl Notes from CBS Sports. I will add my comments in red.

With a week of practice complete, most NFL scouts and coaches are leaving Mobile with new perspective on several senior prospects.

The following ten Senior Bowl participants particularly stood out this week as players who helped themselves in the eyes of pro teams.

Tarell Basham , DE, Ohio Bobcats (6-4, 259)

Talking to scouts throughout the season, Basham was viewed as a possible top-100 draft pick. After his strong finish to the season and impressive week in Mobile, the better question is whether or not he belongs in the top 50. Basham was routinely dominant in one-on-one drills, using his combination of initial burst and power to penetrate the pocket.

Intriguing small school edge rusher. Can stand up and play 34 OLB. I think he's a 3rd rounder.

Dion Dawkins , OG, Temple Owls (6-4, 317)

A college left tackle, Dawkins lined up almost exclusively at left guard during the week and performed very well. There are definitely some mechanical issues he needs to clean up, but rushers were simply unable to get past him due to foot quickness, power and a nasty edge. Dawkins looked very comfortable at the new position this week.

Man, these Temple kids are tough. Dawkins belongs at guard and has a bright future there. If he's on the board in the 5th round, I could see the Cardinals taking him there.

O.J. Howard , TE, Alabama Crimson Tide (6-6, 250)

Howard entered the week as the No. 1 prospect and leaves with the same designation so no one should be surprised by his positive practices. Despite a few drops, he created separation during drills and made several head-turning grabs, moving at a different speed than others on the field. Howard cemented his status as a possible top-20 draft pick.

The Cardinals need to do a better job of attacking the seams and the middle of defenses in order to occupy the safeties and thus open up the deep ball on the perimeter---which is why Howard would make sense for the Cardinals if other needs have been addressed in FA. Howard takes great pride in his blocking and that was in full evidence this week.

You must be registered for see images attach

SPONSORED BY STATE FARMAaron Rodgers & Clay Matthews are the Right CombinationCombine Home & Auto Insurance with State Farm. Here to help life go right.

Howard cemented his first-round status with a great week. USATSI
John Johnson , FS, Boston College Eagles (6-1, 205)

A long-striding athlete who can cover, Johnson showed off his versatile skill-set for teams this week. He needs to improve his route recognition but won't make many mistakes, and he has the movement skills to be trusted as the last line of defense. The NFL is looking for heady players who can cover ground, and Johnson fits that mold.

Having watched every one of his games at Boston College, I can attest that Johnson has the size, speed, tackling prowess and anticipation that could make him a highly successful FS in the NFL. Plus, he can be used to cover TEs and taller WRs in man to man. I have been hoping the Cardinals would take him in the 4th round---but am worried he will be scooped up earlier than that. Johnson would immediately help as a nickel FS, an area the Cardinals need to address.

Cooper Kupp , WR, Eastern Washington (6-1 ½, 198)

The most prolific pass-catcher in FCS history, Kupp is another player who won't be a huge riser because he played as well during practice as his tape suggested he would. However, he did so against top-tier competition, using his route savvy to create spacing in his routes and routinely stand out. Kupp is a better football player than athlete, but that's not a negative comment.

Kupp is a cross between the Pats' Julian Edelman and Chris Hogan. Hogan got the nickname "Seven-Eleven" because he is "always open." Well, the same can be applied to Kupp. If the Cardinals want him and he would be a great fit for what they need as a possession WR to exploit the middle, seams and flats, they will have to take him at #45...if he's still on the board.

Obi Melifonwu , SS, Connecticut Huskies (6-4, 219)

Melifonwu had a strong week from start to finish, starting with his impressive physique during weigh-ins. On the field, he wasn't perfect, but he had more positive reps than most expected. Melifonwu sees the field well and covers a lot of ground with his impressive speed at that size. He should continue and create buzz at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Melifonwu had an excellent game---showing outstanding range, speed and tackling ability. He is not as instinctive in coverage as Johnson, so i would rate Johnson higher, but through good coaching Melifonwu could be a Cam Chancellor type.

Haason Reddick , LB, Temple (6-1 ½, 237)

After debuting at No. 38 on my initial top-50 draft board, I received plenty of questions from those wanting to know more about Reddick. But after his standout week in Mobile, the former Owl defender isn't a secret anymore. An edge rusher in college, Reddick showed during practice that he can stand up and hold up just fine in coverage.

Reddick's versatility and aggressive, tough approach to the game are superb. He is such a good fit for the Cardinals that they should be elated if he is on the board at #45. Even if the Cardinals re-sign Kevin Minter, Reddick could sub in for Minter on passing downs because he's better in coverage and he could be used as a nickel edge rusher.

Duke Riley, LB, LSU Tigers (6-1, 231)

It didn't take long into the first practice that I went scrambling to my roster to find out who was wearing No. 0 on their jersey, because Riley was consistently standing out in a positive way. He accurate first step and closing speed were obvious on several plays as well as his blitzing ability. It isn't easy for linebackers to stand out in this type of setting, but Riley absolutely did.

Scouts love Riley's speed and chase ability. But he's not the downhill kind of tackler you want as a 34 ILB starter. I watched every snap he played versus Alabama and he was constantly guessing wrong and getting physically overpowered. Now---where he would make sense is as a nickel LB, because he has the speed to be good in coverage ands he's a very good chaser. But, for me, his value is in the 5th round.

Riley (left) made a big impression throughout the week. USATSI
Jonnu Smith, TE, Florida International Golden Panthers (6-3, 245)

While he won't stand out for his size, Smith definitely stood out this week with his athleticism. He has an easy release off the line with sharp footwork in and out of his breaks to maintain spacing in his routes from linebackers and safeties. In a loaded tight end crop this year, Smith had the Senior Bowl practices needed to create buzz.

Very intriguing prospect. I have to do more study on him.

Chad Williams, WR, Grambling State (6-1, 204)

One of the more pleasant surprises this week was Williams, who immediately looked like he belonged against FBS-level cornerbacks. He lacks nuance in his routes to create easy separation on athleticism alone, but Williams has the strong hands to secure 50-50 balls, snatching away from his body and tracking well over his shoulder.

I watched his game versus NC Central and was impressed. But the scouting report here is correct---Williams thus far excels at two routes: the slant and the fade. But I am not sure he is physical or fast enough to win 50/50 balls on a regular basis in the NFL.

Just missed this list:

• OLB Tyus Bowser ( Houston Cougars )---I love this kid. What a motor. very good chase and recovery speed. Can cover. Would be very good on STs too.
  • WR Amara Darboh ( Michigan Wolverines )---solid possession type WR.
  • CB Rasul Douglas (West Virginia)---I think he would thrive as the RCB for the Cardinals. He is outstanding in press coverage---very physical, good hip flip and highly combative when the ball is in the air. It's because of him and Cameron Sutton that i believe the Cardinals can wait until the 3rd round to take a CB.
  • WR Evan Engram (Ole Miss)---I think that he is the perfect guy to take Larry Fitzgerald's spot in the offense when Larry retires. He surprised the scouts this week with how tough and strong a blocker his---and he has Fitz type traits as a receiver---times his breaks well and has velcro hands. A real sticks mover.
  • OG Dan Feeney ( Indiana Hoosiers )---love his anchor and his pop in the running game. Best guard prospect in the draft. The concern is the concussion which cost him 4 games last season.
  • RB Kareem Hunt ( Toledo Rockets )---had a very good game. Nothing flashy---just pure ground and pound with a side of slipperiness when he bursts through the hole.
  • DE Tanoh Kpassagnon (Villanova)---what a physical specimen! Has Calais Campbell type traits, although he's green and inconsistent. But a few times each game he makes you sit up and take notice.
  • CB Jourdan Lewis (Michigan)---love the long arms and technique, but wonder about his recovery speed and whether he can hold up on the perimeter. Looks like a nickel CB, imo.
  • OT Taylor Moton (Western Michigan)---raw, but very physical. Reminds me some of D.J. Fluker. Too slow in his pass pro setup right now. Might have to slide down to guard.
  • DT Larry Ogunjobi ( Charlotte 49ers )---didn't notice him much. I need to study him.
  • QB Nathan Peterman ( Pittsburgh Panthers )---he had a good week and looks the part as a leader, but I was expecting him to be more nifty in the pocket. Has a good arm and decent vision, but needs to shuffle his feet to create better passing lanes and time in the pocket. I don't see him as a fit in BA's offense. The better fits, imo, are Davis Webb and C.J. Beathard. Webb, whose numbers at Cal were very similar in Jared Goff's, allayed some concerns about accuracy in the game. Beathard threw the best deep ball of any of the QBs. His TD strike (called back) to Zay Jones on his go route was superb.
  • OG/OC Ethan Pocic (LSU)---he struggled more than i would have expected this week, although he did play better in the game. he's mauler in the running game, but gets out-quicked at times in the A gaps on passing plays.
  • LB Derek Rivers (Youngstown State)---I was pleasantly surprised by the level of his play in the game. He's a very good athlete and shows good technique and quickness in his pass rush.
  • DT Dalvin Tomlinson (Alabama)---I was expecting more out of him this week, but he looks worn down as so many Bama players are this time of year. Might make him a Day 3 steal.
  • RB Jamaal Williams (BYU)---didn't quite have a showcase game, but he's a good, tough runner who can block and catch.
  • CB Tre'Davious White (LSU)---left with an injury. Scouts are all over the place on him---some have him rated in the top 5 CBs, others have him on the back end of the top 10. The talent is obvious, but not sure about the commitment and the reliability.
  • DL Chris Wormley (Michigan)---like Tomlinson, he failed to stand out on a more regular basis in the game. I think he's well suited to play 34 DE and would have to have seen him in that role.
Players Who Stood Out:

WR Zay Jones---the guy simply commands the ball. Leaves everything he's got on the field. Plays with energy, wiggle and confidence. Great hands and body control. Not a pure burner, but knows how to win matches.

RB Donnel Pumphrey---lightning in a bottle, but also impressively tough. He lowers his shoulder on contact. Outstanding speed and wiggle. Tough and explosive as a receiver and return man. Reminds me some of Darren Sproles.

DE/OLB Jordan Willis---man, he sure showed up in the game, winning defensive MVP and showing his commendable edge skills as a pass rusher. Not supremely athletic, but has good technique and a non-stop motor. Might be the Markus Golden of this crop.

T Antonio Garcia---has the best potential of all the tackles, imo. No wonder why they rave about him at Troy. Has length, strong arms and good bounce in his feet. Lacks technique---as he tends to over-set or under-set on pass pro---but that can be straightened out.

RB Matt Dayes (North Carolina St.)---fumbled on his first touch, but after that played very well. Has a good combination of size, strength and burst. Good receiver. I could see Steve Keim draft him (fellow alum of the Wolfpack).

WR Josh Reynolds (Texas A&M)---he was one of the biggest surprises in the game. Good size, speed, hands and agility.
Consistently gained separation.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Zay Jones was impressive. This is a deep WR draft and I can see the Cards taking 2 WR's, maybe very early. I believe Arians when he says they won't take a WR in round 1 but that can change if Williams is on board. But I could see WR's taken in some combination in rounds 2-4.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
zay jones has good acceleration, is not an issue for him separate from defenders
then as i posted yesterday is elusive and quick making change of direction
my favourite wr after first rounders williams and davis

what about this draft
trade down 7/8 spots get extra 3th and a 4th
round 1 aj howard
round 2 hasan riddick
round 3 zay jones
round 3 chad kelly

cb class is deep in this draft

i d sign on free agency warford (guard) patterson (wr/kr/pr) logan ryan (cb) dontari poe and using peters on campbell spot sometimes

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice analysis Mitch. Do you think Cards would consider taking any of the Senior Bowl qbs?

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Per nfl.com

A lot of players left a strong impression on NFL scouts during the practice week leading up to Saturday's Reese's Senior Bowl, but not as many can pair that with a similarly impressive performance in the game.

Zay Jones almost makes two touchdown catches.

Count Zay Jones as one who did both.

The former East Carolina wide receiver caught six passes for 68 yards and a touchdown for the North squad, which lost 16-15. But it was perhaps two plays Jones didn't make that scouts will remember most. Along with his touchdown, which came on a slant route in the red zone late in the fourth quarter, Jones also had two would-be touchdowns taken away -- one on a boundary ruling and the other on a penalty. Nevertheless, the ex-Pirates star left a strong impression on the Chicago Bears coaching staff, which handled the North squad.

"Those two have had a really impressive week," Bears offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains said, during the NFL Network broadcast, of Jones and fellow North receiver Cooper Kupp. "They're really football-smart guys and they've shown up (on game day) and showed up all week. It wasn't a surprise to us that they've played the way they have."

Jones, who led the FBS with 158 receptions in 2016, was among 10 players who made money during the Senior Bowl practice week, per NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock.

"I think (Temple LB Haason) Reddick and Zay Jones, in what they did during the week and then watching them (in the game), helped themselves more than anybody," NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said.

Here are seven other things we learned Saturday from the 2017 Reese's Senior Bowl.

California QB Davis Webb receives Most Outstanding Player Award at Senior Bowl.

2. More from Mayock. Who else besides Jones made money this week by improving their NFL draft stock? Mayock's list included five players from each squad. On the South team, he said Alabama TE O.J. Howard, Ole Miss TE Evan Engram, LSU CB Tre'Davious White, San Diego State CB Damontae Kazee and Clemson DT Carlos Watkins helped themselves. White missed the game due to an ankle injury. Howard caught four passes for 39 yards in the first half before coming out of the game to give way to other South tight ends. Mayock projected him as a top-20 pick, and compared him to one of the NFL's best tight ends. On the North squad, Mayock identified Jones, Temple LB Haason Reddick, Eastern Washington WR Cooper Kupp, West Virginia CB Rasul Douglas and UConn S Obi Melifonwu

3. Webb takes MVP honor. Cal QB Davis Webb was selected the Senior Bowl's Most Valuable Playerafter completing 11 of 16 passes for a game-high 165 yards and a touchdown. Last year's Senior BowlMost Outstanding Player was none other than Dak Prescott, who went on to instant stardom with the Dallas Cowboys. This year, the North's Most Outstanding player was Toledo RB Kareem Hunt (15 carries, 118 yards), while the South's MOP was Kansas State DE Jordan Willis.

4. NFL comp for Pitt QB. Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi likens Senior Bowl QB Nathan Peterman to Washington RedskinsQB Kirk Cousins as a draft prospect, per Mayock. Narduzzi coached Cousins at Michigan State before taking the Pitt job. After seeing minimal action at Tennessee early in his college career, Peterman started for two years for the Senior Bowl broadcast was to Melifonwu. Mayock believes his draft trajectory, depending on his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine, could be similar to that of a former Dallas Cowboys first-round pick.

"Melifonwu, if he runs as well at the combine as I think he does, he might have a meteoric (draft) rise like Byron Jones, another UConn player," Mayock said.

6. Kpassagnon comp. Mayock provided an interesting comparison for Tanoh Kpassagnon in pre-game remarks, likening the Villanova defensive end to Carlos Dunlap of the Cincinnati Bengals. Mayock named Kpassagnon as one of his star performers on Tuesday. It's certainly an apt comparison from a size standpoint: Dunlap is listed at 6-foot-6, 280 pounds, while Kpassagnon measured 6-6 7/8, 280 at the official weigh-in on Tuesday.

7. Pumphrey gets his return shot. San Diego State RB Donnel Pumphrey told College Football 24/7 at the beginning of the week that he hoped to return punts Saturday. The diminutive Pumphrey (5-8, 169) didn't return kicks in college, but is well aware that the return game might be his only ticket into the NFL because of his size. On Saturday, he broke a 24-yard punt return and finished with four returns for 44 yards and an impressive 11-yard average.

8. Red Flash flashes. St. Francis S Lorenzo Jerome came up with three big plays on defense for the North squad, with a pair of interceptions and a forced fumble. One of those interceptions couldn't have been easier, as South QB Antonio Pipkin threw into double coverage and lofted the ball so high, it was easy for Jerome to get into position. On the other, QB Josh Dobbs was hit upon release and the disrupted throw fell right into Jerome's hands.

I forgot to mention S Lorenzo Jerome from St. Francis College (PA). Amazingly he snatched 4 interceptions in his two All-Star games: 2 at the East West Shrine Game last week and 2 at the Senior Bowl. He seems to be a Johnny-on-the-spot type player who looks physically and athletically a little like Harlan Miller. The Cardinals love their small school gems---perhaps Jerome is on their radar.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Nice analysis Mitch. Do you think Cards would consider taking any of the Senior Bowl qbs?

The two QB who seemed best to fit BA's offense where Davis Webb (Cal) and C.J. Beathard (Iowa). Interestingly, Webb has some Carson Palmer like traits and Beathard has some Drew Stanton traits, although it appears that Beathard throws a better deep pass, with more arc and velocity.

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network, who helped call the game with Siciliano and Mayock, said on Twitter that he could see Webb as a good fit in Arizona.

I watched Webb's game versus Stanford and I need to watch more, but in that game I was impressed with how quickly Webb can get the ball out at times, with a flick of his wrist, but at other times, his motion looked a little off center and he threw a number of passes off his back foot. He only played 1 year at California, so he needs grooming. But, after an up and down week of practices, Webb delivered handsomely in the game.

I also was impressed with Joshua Dobbs (6-3, 218) of Tennessee. Hobbs has good skills and superior intelligence. He's very athletic and poised. He needs work, but he could be worth developing and would be a very good scout team QB in the interim.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The two QB who seemed best to fit BA's offense where Davis Webb (Cal) and C.J. Beathard (Iowa). Interestingly, Webb has some Carson Palmer like traits and Beathard has some Drew Stanton traits, although it appears that Beathard throws a better deep pass, with more arc and velocity.

Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network, who helped call the game with Siciliano and Mayock, said on Twitter that he could see Webb as a good fit in Arizona.

I watched Webb's game versus Stanford and I need to watch more, but in that game I was impressed with how quickly Webb can get the ball out at times, with a flick of his wrist, but at other times, his motion looked a little off center and he threw a number of passes off his back foot. He only played 1 year at California, so he needs grooming. But, after an up and down week of practices, Webb delivered handsomely in the game.

I also was impressed with Joshua Dobbs (6-3, 218) of Tennessee. Hobbs has good skills and superior intelligence. He's very athletic and poised. He needs work, but he could be worth developing and would be a very good scout team QB in the interim.

I was able to watch Davis Webb(TV), for many games during his 1 year as the starting QB @ Texas Tech. Saw at least 6 Cal games this year with him at the helm. He, Chad Hansen WR ( if you like Cooper Kupp you will love Chad Hansen), and Khalfani Muhammad RB were a highlight reel every game. Hansen has to be at the combine along with Muhammed.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Webb was also impressive. Stay away from Dobbs. The QB he reminded most of with his college play- Logan Thomas.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
When I watched Webb this year I couldn't have come away anymore unimpressed. Maybe it was bad timing on my part.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All Lorenzo Jerome (SF Loretto, PA) did was pick off 4 passes and force a fumble in the NFLPA and Senior Bowl games.

The UConn safety looks awfully good and may have a greater upside, but Jerome has all the earmarks of one of those picks SK typically pulls out of his butt in the late-rounds.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think he's a better prospect than Mahomes?

1 & 1a. My guess is that there is a huge upside to Mahomes but maybe a learning curve disability since he relies on athleticism 1st. He will need to tone his game down, but he is not a dummy. Davis Webb to me is a very steady and heady QB with an easier transition. Cerebral type with a big body and good accurate arm. I would flip a coin. If I was going to take one of them and someone took the other I would be thrilled with the leftover.

Davis Webb came to Cal as a grad transfer and the 1st thing he did was hook up with the skill players and organized his own pre spring practice. 6 weeks later he was elected Captain by his teammates.

I would take either one before the other names... Watson, Kizer. I don't know what to make of Trubisky. The offense at UNC was more pro ready under Larry Fedora, but his resume is basically 1 year. I do think he could have been the better choice the previous 2 years instead of Marquise Williams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson