2017 Offseason Trade Rumors

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Slightly worrying that there's mention of him working out with Philly and the Kings but not us...Does that mean we're set on Bledsoe as our guy? I guess so.

I'm kind of (kind of..) intrigued to see what our team could be if we stuck with him and put in a playmaker like Jackson at three but really I'm all over Ball. Bledsoe has shown zero ability to elevate anyone around him and that's a problem for me.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lol - i completely missed the trade bledsoe article, I think i put the above post in the wrong thread.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Slightly worrying that there's mention of him working out with Philly and the Kings but not us...Does that mean we're set on Bledsoe as our guy? I guess so.

I'm kind of (kind of..) intrigued to see what our team could be if we stuck with him and put in a playmaker like Jackson at three but really I'm all over Ball. Bledsoe has shown zero ability to elevate anyone around him and that's a problem for me.
I think it means nothing.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So you're saying I shouldn't put too much stock into a 2 bit on line rag? :p

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo is reporting the Suns are interested in Paul Millsap and JaMychal Green. Green might be a good option at PF. He took over the starting PF spot in Memphis last year for Zack Randolph and did ok. If they brought him in to challenge Chriss as a young vet of sorts that wouldn't be too bad, depending on the price tag. He'll be 27 next year and he's been on minimum contracts through his career so I'm sure he's looking to get paid. If the price is right, something like $20 million for 2 years, that could work but I wouldn't want to get locked in longer than 2 years, maybe 3, for very much. Maybe a team option on his 3rd year. This is the sort of vet we should go after, if we decide to sign a veteran. Someone who shouldn't break the bank, can contribute for the next 2-3 seasons that could help Chriss along and step aside in a year or two for him.

I don't see the point in spending max money to bring in Paul Millsap though. We're not going to contend this year and at best he helps us get swept in the first round of the playoffs. He's 32 years old and he could sign a max deal starting at $30 million a year, which is far too much for the Suns to consider. Sure he could help tutor Chriss but we'd be left with an awful contract on the books after his first year year here and he only has 2 years of good production left, maybe only 1 year. I know we signed his brother at the end of last year but I'd rather stick with the lesser brother in this instance. He would have been a great signing 3 years ago, coming off of the lucky first year of Dragic and Bledsoe but he makes no sense for the Suns now.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

If the C's can land Hayward they'd probably trade the #1 pick and other assets for Porzingis?

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If the C's can land Hayward they'd probably trade the #1 pick and other assets for Porzingis?

FA doesn't start until July 1st, which is after the draft so Boston couldn't deal their pick on draft night knowing what will happen with Hayward. I doubt the Knicks would trade Porzingis for Fultz though, maybe Fultz and the Nets pick next year but who knows if that would influence Hayward, I think it would help make the case to bring him on board, they'd have a better looking roster for him to join.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Still not good enough to challenge the Cavs. Hell, they could get Porzingis for free, draft Fultz, sign Hayward, retain everyone else, and they still couldn't beat the Cavs, let alone the Warriors.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Still not good enough to challenge the Cavs. Hell, they could get Porzingis for free, draft Fultz, sign Hayward, retain everyone else, and they still couldn't beat the Cavs, let alone the Warriors.

That team would handle the Cavs IMO. Boston just doesn't have the firepower to exploit Cleveland's bad defenders.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This would be one heck of a team. Hayward would make a huge difference.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That team would handle the Cavs IMO. Boston just doesn't have the firepower to exploit Cleveland's bad defenders.

Don't let the finals fool you the Cavs are light years better than anyone in the east

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Don't let the finals fool you the Cavs are light years better than anyone in the east

The CAvs literally can't win a game if Lebron doesn't play. They're the worst defensive team in the league without him. GS went 16-4 without Durant. Cleveland is not a superteam and outside of the Kyrie/Love their role guys are washed up. With Lebron they're still average defensively.

If Boston can insert Hayward and Porzingis (hypothetical) I'm taking them in 6.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The CAvs literally can't win a game if Lebron doesn't play. They're the worst defensive team in the league without him. GS went 16-4 without Durant. Cleveland is not a superteam and outside of the Kyrie/Love their role guys are washed up. With Lebron they're still average defensively.

If Boston can insert Hayward and Porzingis (hypothetical) I'm taking them in 6.

And porzingas is ready for prime time? Cause if you've been watching him you know he's not.

So the Cavs beat Boston is one of the most lopsided and embarrassing conference finals ever and Gordan Hayward is gonna change that.

You point to the Cavs defense but who exactly is stopping Cleveland?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Couple things...

pic.twitter.com/oEnfl8gzAU

Tatum is apparently in Phoenix for a second meeting. That makes him and Isaac.

Also, Jordan Schultz is on twitter with a ton of information about rumors regarding the Kings trying to trade up with the 76ers or Suns for Fox.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Damn... they would be going old school 80's White Celtics!

Not saying that's a bad thing or racist... just an observation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple things...

pic.twitter.com/oEnfl8gzAU

Tatum is apparently in Phoenix for a second meeting. That makes him and Isaac.

Also, Jordan Schultz is on twitter with a ton of information about rumors regarding the Kings trying to trade up with the 76ers or Suns for Fox.

If the draft goes Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Fox, Tatum and Isaac in some order, the Suns are going to get a very good draft pick even if they trade down to #6. I'm not saying the Suns want to trade that far down but it is nice to see the Suns have options.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seems like a win-win scenario if the Kings really are intent on trading up for Fox. Either they trade with the 76ers and Ball or Jackson falls to us, or the top 3 go as predicted and we have amazing leverage.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Detroit has been shopping Drummond since the deadline last year and there was the rumor that Detroit was interested in Bledsoe as well (LINK), preferably in a swap for Reggie Jackson. McD said there was a potential blockbuster deal with an Eastern Conference team before the deadline but there wasn't enough time for it to go anywhere. Gambo said it was a 3 for 3 swap with Detroit, with Booker, Bledsoe, and Chandler for Drummond, Caldwell-Pope, and Reggie Jackson (LINK). I think we should open those talks back up, without Booker being included, of course. Caldwell-Pope is a RFA also, so no Booker or KCP. Drummond is signed for the next 3 years, with the 4th year being a player option, but he's due $76.3 million over those 3 years and $105 for all 4. He's only 23, will be 24 when the season starts, so he fits with the rest of our core as far as his age is concerned. I'm not sure what Detroit would be interested in but we could offer them some salary relief and Bledsoe, plus one of the Miami picks.

A deal of Bledsoe & Chandler for Drummond & Jackson works under the cap and saves Detroit a lot of money, with Chandler & Bledsoe both expiring in 2 years while Jackson and Drummond have at least 3 years a piece. I'm not interested in Jackson though, that's a step sideways if anything, he makes $3 million more than Bledsoe annually, has 1 more year on his contract, is a worse defender, and is also injury prone. It might be hard to get a 3rd team involved to take Jackson because of the number of quality FA PG's this summer. We could let them keep Jackson though and offer Drummond & Ish Smith for Bledsoe & Chandler, which works under the cap. That gives them salary relief long term by shedding Drummond's contract, they'd get an upgrade at PG with Bledsoe who is someone they're interested in. They'd still have Jackson who could then be their Sixth Man, a role he excelled in while in OKC, or play Jackson at SG with Bledsoe. They could trade him elsewhere, not our problem. Ish is only owed $12 million over the next 2 years, $6m per, so it's not a bad contract for a backup PG. He's a solid backup PG who is a pass first player, which would allow us to keep a passing PG on the court all game with him and Ulis. Without Jackson included, I think we could do that without any other assets involved but they might want to send us Leuer's contract in that deal, for more cap relief, but I'd still jump at it. Drummond's age aligns with our existing core, we wouldn't have to part with any of our youngsters, and he could be the star we've been looking to add. Leuer was decent while he was here, he's a better PF than Dudley, can play some minutes at Center, and is a good stretch big. Sure, he's overpaid but we get the best player in the deal, Drummond. Leuer is owed $30 million over the next 3 years, which isn't awful.

If we took on Leuer's contract we'd be capped out this year but we wouldn't have any big holes in our roster to fill either. We'd still have the MLE available for depth at Center, or to retain Big Sauce. Everyone in our core would be 24 or younger, so our window would be the same but perhaps we could start making the playoffs as early as next year. We'd still have Dudley as a veteran leader, Ish could compete with Ulis for the starting PG spot and he's also be a vet here who would provide stability for our 2nd unit. Knight might actually be able to step up without Bledsoe here anymore but I wouldn't count on it. Ish and Ulis are similar pass first PG's who make their teammates better, Ulis is a better scorer though but Smith would just be a backup so he doesn't need to score much. We'd have Jackson as our top perimeter defender with Drummond as our rim protector. Between Jackson and Drummond on the boards, Chriss' lack of rebounding wouldn't be as noticeable either. We could then let Len walk without a 2nd though because we'd have a young Center for years to come in Drummond.

A big 4 of Booker, Drummond, Jackson, and Chriss sounds really good for the next 3-4 years. Let them grow together and hope they peak as the Warriors are slowing down. We'd have a better starting 5 than Portland, Utah, Memphis, and whatever the Clippers are left with.

Drummond/Bender/ (Resign Williams?)
Chriss/Dudley/Leuer
Jackson/Warren/Jones Jr
Booker/Barbosa/Knight
Ulis/Smith/Knight

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No thanks on Drummond. I'd rather just sign Ekpe Udoh.

BleedRed

Registered
Reaction score
I like Drummond and would be curious what it would take to get him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo confirmed today that the Bledsoe and #4 for Kyrie talks were real. I imagine this was before Jackson dropped to #4.

Something like Bledsoe and Tatum for Kyrie is not a bad deal. Kyrie is younger, healthier, and more of a star. The Suns would have had defensive issues though. I would not do Bledsoe and Jackson though.

The Cavs asked LeBron to commit and he said no. They then nixed the trade because Kyrie would be the only superstar player they have at that point. They would trade for Bledsoe because they think he is a better match with LeBron.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo confirmed today that the Bledsoe and #4 for Kyrie talks were real. I imagine this was before Jackson dropped to #4.

Something like Bledsoe and Tatum for Kyrie is not a bad deal. Kyrie is younger, healthier, and more of a star. The Suns would have had defensive issues though. I would not do Bledsoe and Jackson though.

The Cavs asked LeBron to commit and he said no. They then nixed the trade because Kyrie would be the only superstar player they have at that point. They would trade for Bledsoe because they think he is a better match with LeBron.

If Lebron wants to play out west he is welcome to come here :)

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think that's telling on Lebron's part. I don't think the friendship between him and Bledsoe is as great as some Suns fans have thought. Not that most of thought Lebron would sign here because of Bledsoe but I know we've all been guilty of floating trade ideas that include Bledsoe going to Cleveland for a good return because he's Lebron's friend. Also I think Lebron is going to bail after this next season.

There have been rumors floating around that he wants to go out West and play for the Lakers ever since the Cavs lost to the Warriors but I didn't put much stock in those before hearing about this trade. Those rumors sounded too much like Westbrook, Durant, Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, basically any big name free agent is headed to the Lakers.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, the Suns are still looking to deal Brandon Knight.

Knight is only 25 years old, but he's coming off the worst season of his career with averages of 11.0 points, 2.4 assists, 2.2 rebounds, 0.5 steals and 0.8 treys on 39.8 percent shooting. Knight has three years left on his deal for about $44 million, so his contract won't exactly be easy to move. Even if he stays in Phoenix, there are three better fantasy options in their backcourt in Eric Bledsoe, Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis.
Jul 2 - 9:10 AM

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, the Suns are still looking to deal Tyson Chandler.

With the Suns fully committing to their rebuild, there's just no need to keep Chandler on the roster. He's owed $26.5 million over the next two seasons, so the Suns may have to give up an asset to get his contract off the books. It sounds like the Suns would rather bring back Alan Williams than Alex Len in restricted free agency, so expect to see a lot of Williams and Marquese Chriss at the five next season.
Jul 2 - 9:05 AM

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen